Menu

How much money are you saving being at home?

DawnM

Gas money has gone down significantly. We spent around $200-225 before; last month we spent around $100.

Food has gone way up only because stuff like soup that I used to find for $1 or less easily is now $1.50-2 (if I can find it). So that line item went up by about $400. At the same time I did buy ahead last month (flour, rice, etc.) so hopefully this month will balance things out.

We're saving a lot of money with activities canceled! We haven't received refunds for everything the kids were signed up for but expect to see money coming back to us here shortly.

• Like 1

The money we’re saving on gas is being spent on food. There are no sales here and I generally menu plan around sales.  Eggs, which we eat a lot of, are crazy. Publix hasn’t had any the last three times I  shopped so I went to another chain- well known in our area. I usually buy 18 ct packages and was SO GLAD I was doing the shopping instead of dh. (the would have bought them without price comparing)  12 ct eggs were $1.29 but 18 ct in the same store brand were $5.29. I talked to the manager and he just threw up his hands and said ‘supply and demand’.  They had plenty of eggs, so the price on 18 ct seems crazy. And their other prices have gone up quite a bit. 

Also, we’re buying some convenience food like sweet tea from Publix because they make it better than I do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maize said:

Only gas money really. We can't afford to eat out and I rarely go to stores other than grocery stores. My kids' activities have mostly moved online so I am still paying for those.

I've probably spent more money on Amazon orders than I do in an average month.

This describes us too. We may be saving a bit from not driving to children's extracurricular activities, but we're still paying for the activities. We rarely eat out or do much shopping at other times. 

• Like 4

Gas!  DH usually drives over 80 miles a day commuting to work.  I used to fill up my car every 2 weeks.  I haven’t filled up my car in a month and it’s still got 3/4 of a tank left.  Same with DH’s car.

Food:  sort of, maybe not.  I’d have to look closely at the numbers.  DH and would would eat out together twice a week, my sons would eat out once a week (pizza with their friends), I’d eat a chicken soft taco once a week with friends, eat a Sonic burger every 2 weeks when I grocery shopped, and DH would eat one lunch out a week.  Plus stopping every now and then for a chicken soft taco if I was out and about.  

That’s a lot of eating out. On the flip side, we’re eating all those meals at home PLUS we’re getting bored and craving tons of snacks, so I’ve had to buy more snack food.  I’m pretty sure that all those meal out are more than the home-cooked meals and snacks.

Movie night:  Saving $24 a month.

Hair care products, makeup, and soap.  Ladies, I’m showering only once every 3 days and I don’t put anything in my hair or any makeup on my face anymore.  No gel, no hairspray, no dry shampoo, no makeup, no makeup remover, no cotton pad, no...probably other products I’m forgetting.  And less soap and shampoo because...every 3 days.

Clothing: I’d have probably bought a spring outfit for me and maybe some tshirts for the boys by now, but since no one sees us, what’s the point? We’re just wearing what we have—mostly jammies. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I’m guessing we are a wash here too.  Any gas savings is going to higher groceries.  Dh usually picks up our staples at a grocery store near his work.  Those prices are almost half of what we’d pay for the same things at home because of the prices set up the state for milk and eggs.  Not sure if the meat and poultry prices are controlled by the state here too, but they are way cheaper at the grocery store in the next state.  So, we have been buying that stuff up here.  For example, a gallon of whole milk in MD would have been $1.99.  Here, it’s $4.44.  3 dozen eggs in MD $2.89, here 1 dozen $2.29 (although I got a 5 dozen pack for $7.99 last week up here).

I may drive to MD to do a big shopping in a week or so, but the store keeps running out of the stuff I would buy (per Facebook posts), so so far, it hasn’t been worth my time to make the trip.

• Like 1

We are saving a ton on gas--even when we could combine class times, etc. we were driving all but maybe two days per week (I hate it!!!).

We saved a ton by missing vacation. We did travel but changed our plans last minute to visiting my parents vs. going to DC (which didn't have cases when we nixed our plans). Gas was the same, food was less, and we spend any of the money on attractions or metro, etc. We lost a small amount of money on reservations, but not nearly what it would've cost to do things, eat out, and buy stuff.

We had a weekend family camp cancelled that was refunded.

I am not going to be going to homeschool convention and spending money, though most of that will be deferred--I would've had to pay for meals/snacks out and parking even if I just went for the free exhibit hall.

I did buy more disposable products for cleaning in case one of us gets sick (I use very few disposable items in daily life).

We are getting less takeout from running around, but our takeout food was usually supplemental vs. whole meals (a bagel, taco, or coffee here and there). 

We went from maxing out the 401k to contributing a much smaller amount (with the amount of time we've been maxing it out, it will still be a pretty decent contribution). We hope to add that amount to a bigger emergency fund, and over time, if it's not used, maybe we'll put in an IRA some year when things start to recover a bit.

Only savings is on Gas. We drive a ton every day but we have just gone out once in 3 weeks for groceries.

Food: actually, the budget is higher now because we buy more than we need in staples so that we need not go out often (and make unnecessary purchases of bottled water, canned food, pasta etc which we don't normally consume).

• Like 2

Dh's lunches and our gas budget are about $400/month... we're ordering curbside about the same amount as we used to go out, so no savings there. Spending more on food as we're all home for lunch now, when it used to be just 1-2 people. And I've been doing some online shopping to make staying at home easier & more comfortable (pretty much done with that). 

• Like 1

I may have to get gas soon. I haven't done that in the last month. Used to be we both filled our cars more than once a week. I changed the one car to say it is in storage and the other car to say we are driving 1000 miles a year, and got a big refund on the car insurance premiums. Husband is no longer eating out. I think we have saved a significant amount, to the tune of thousands of dollars.

edited to clarify: my husband commute, food and everything, was costing about $200 a week. I had costs at home from driving on toll roads to take kids places as well as the cost of driving. 

Edited by Janeway

In theory, I should be saving money.  We ae in Los Angeles area. Driving the 9th grader to and from school was  about $5/day in gas, and another $10 gas for weekend excursions.  Then a few dollars per weekend for him to play a  round of golf using special jr. club pricing ($1-5 per round).   Now all golf courses in California are closed. So,  it is trip to Las Vegas area every weekend, and paying regular adult prices for the round ($25+). 

• Like 1

I don't want to look at our balance. I've been spending money since Feb! Trying to stock up, paying delivery fees, trying to eat out a little more to help local businesses, getting stuff for the garden I've had on my to do list for 5 years...it's a lot. DH is still working so gas is about the same as I stay pretty close to home anyway most days. 

I’m sure between dh’s gas consumption and mine, it is easily $300 less, maybe $400. Groceries, we’re spending more, because of everyone being home, and because I have been going to the more expensive store (Harris Teeter) because their staff are nice and I haven’t seen any customers having a meltdown there. I’m saving money due to no social things - no movies, no coffees with a friend, no Panera meal for book club, etc. This doesn’t add up to a huge amount, but it is a difference. I have spent money on materials for making masks. 

I am inadvertently saving money on hair maintenance, because there’s grey I would have long since had fixed. And ds (still) needs a haircut, which I am going to do but I think I have to actually make an “appointment” with him so I won’t be interrupting his online stuff (sometimes lessons, sometimes social). I saved money getting my garden started simply because I wasn’t able to buy what I would have. 

Todays my birthday and dh’s birthday just passed. Dd’s birthday is next week. Less money is being spent on every birthday. Dd is presently making lasagna for dinner tonight and has made me a carrot cake, my favorite. Nothing fancy. I could really go for some Mosel region wine with my dinner but - non-essential. So I’ll have to live with that. 

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

We saved a ton by missing vacation.

We went from maxing out the 401k ...

Vacation! I forgot vacations! We were going to visit my parents who live 2500 miles away this summer.  That’s not going to happen now.  (And I was hoping to get to meet Lori D in person while on that trip.). That saved us a couple thousand, though I’d rather see my parents than have the money.

401Ks: don’t even want to think about what we may have lost when the stock market went down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I feel like I'm spending a fortune.  We are using delivery/pick up grocery options at more expensive stores. We've ordered a bunch of stuff.  And my a bunch I mean household staples.  The only "fun" purchase we've made in the past month is Animal Crossing and we're going to count that as mental health and recreation right now.  LOL.  

BUT we usually eat out multiple times per week and are driving a ton.  So we are probably spending less but it's just been more concentrated into these online orders I'm executing.  

This is me. I'm saving zero dollars. Spending way more on groceries. I am glad I have the luxury to do so but we mostly ate at home anyway and now I'm eating at home more expensively because I don't want to use stores I have to go into.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Garga said:

401Ks: don’t even want to think about what we may have lost when the stock market went down.

I am telling myself that huge downturns have happened at least twice in the 20 years I've been old enough to have a job and be an adult, and this will rebound too. But I don't have to pour as much money down the hole while it sorts itself, lol! 

We are saving zero dollars by being at home, lol. 

dh has a company car and my driving is roughly the same, so no gas savings. 

dh usually takes customers out to eat quite often on the company dime, and now he's eating all meals at home. 

Groceries are more expensive because I have to take what I can get in brands and sizes. My grocery store isn't raising prices, though. 

In the "going backwards" department, I won't have my usual seasonal scoring job that I would be starting now and, more painfully, dh is unlikely to be earning commissions. We're not even going to think about his job being in danger, la la la . . . 

2 hours ago, Quill said:

I’m sure between dh’s gas consumption and mine, it is easily $300 less, maybe $400. Groceries, we’re spending more, because of everyone being home, and because I have been going to the more expensive store (Harris Teeter) because their staff are nice and I haven’t seen any customers having a meltdown there. I’m saving money due to no social things - no movies, no coffees with a friend, no Panera meal for book club, etc. This doesn’t add up to a huge amount, but it is a difference. I have spent money on materials for making masks. 

I am inadvertently saving money on hair maintenance, because there’s grey I would have long since had fixed. And ds (still) needs a haircut, which I am going to do but I think I have to actually make an “appointment” with him so I won’t be interrupting his online stuff (sometimes lessons, sometimes social). I saved money getting my garden started simply because I wasn’t able to buy what I would have. 

Todays my birthday and dh’s birthday just passed. Dd’s birthday is next week. Less money is being spent on every birthday. Dd is presently making lasagna for dinner tonight and has made me a carrot cake, my favorite. Nothing fancy. I could really go for some Mosel region wine with my dinner but - non-essential. So I’ll have to live with that. 

Happy Birthday Quill🎂Enjoy your special dinner🌺

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I am telling myself that huge downturns have happened at least twice in the 20 years I've been old enough to have a job and be an adult, and this will rebound too. But I don't have to pour as much money down the hole while it sorts itself, lol! 

For context, this is what my hubby told me (he works in financial research).  Right now, the US stock market is down a little less than 20% from it's recent historic high (in February).  The 2008 financial crisis saw a drop of over 50% and during the Great Depression the drop was like 80%.  So it's not great right now, but certainly not the worst that's been seen.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, sgo95 said:

For context, this is what my hubby told me (he works in financial research).  Right now, the US stock market is down a little less than 20% from it's recent historic high (in February).  The 2008 financial crisis saw a drop of over 50% and during the Great Depression the drop was like 80%.  So it's not great right now, but certainly not the worst that's been seen.

Good to know!!! The way everyone has been talking, I assumed a lot worse. I'll have to chew on that and maybe be a little less risk averse, lol! 

• Like 2

Definitely saving gas. 

Not much food savings yet. We did a lot of stocking up early on but then haven’t really used it. We’ve still been going to the store and I’m keeping what we have in storage in case things get worse here and stuff isn’t available or we really can’t get out. I used to eat breakfast every day at the hospital but they shut down the doctor’s lounges so I’m now eating at home. We aren’t eating out otherwise so that should be a savings eventually. 

Kid’s activities are the big unknown. We have a few that haven’t yet said if they will give partial refunds. If they do....that will be a nice amout. Likewise, if summer activities don’t happen we’ll save a lot. I’d prefer not to save though as they kids are all missing their various activities (swim and dance primarily). We also had some planned college visit trips that didn’t happen and a trip to Boston in June that won’t happen. We should get refunds for all those, but they haven’t gone through yet. 

I took a pay cut and even though I’m very part-time, I have the bigger income in our family. So we’re trying to not spend much not knowing how all this will end up and what will happen as the year goes on with jobs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kbutton said:

We are saving a ton on gas--even when we could combine class times, etc. we were driving all but maybe two days per week (I hate it!!!).

We saved a ton by missing vacation. We did travel but changed our plans last minute to visiting my parents vs. going to DC (which didn't have cases when we nixed our plans). Gas was the same, food was less, and we spend any of the money on attractions or metro, etc. We lost a small amount of money on reservations, but not nearly what it would've cost to do things, eat out, and buy stuff.

We had a weekend family camp cancelled that was refunded.

I am not going to be going to homeschool convention and spending money, though most of that will be deferred--I would've had to pay for meals/snacks out and parking even if I just went for the free exhibit hall.

I did buy more disposable products for cleaning in case one of us gets sick (I use very few disposable items in daily life).

We are getting less takeout from running around, but our takeout food was usually supplemental vs. whole meals (a bagel, taco, or coffee here and there). 

We went from maxing out the 401k to contributing a much smaller amount (with the amount of time we've been maxing it out, it will still be a pretty decent contribution). We hope to add that amount to a bigger emergency fund, and over time, if it's not used, maybe we'll put in an IRA some year when things start to recover a bit.

Oh forgot about that.  We had a trip to Tokyo for spring break that got cancelled.  We got the money back for the tickets and all the money we didn't spend on hotels and things we saved.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Happy Birthday Quill.   I hope you had a great day.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Janeway said:

I may have to get gas soon. I haven't done that in the last month. Used to be we both filled our cars more than once a week. I changed the one car to say it is in storage and the other car to say we are driving 1000 miles a year, and got a big refund on the car insurance premiums. Husband is no longer eating out. I think we have saved a significant amount, to the tune of thousands of dollars.

edited to clarify: my husband commute, food and everything, was costing about $200 a week. I had costs at home from driving on toll roads to take kids places as well as the cost of driving. 

So how did you change the cars for insurance?   Are you not driving the car that is in storage at all? Isn't that bad for it?   Can you just change them back when life goes back to normal? 

46 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

So how did you change the cars for insurance?   Are you not driving the car that is in storage at all? Isn't that bad for it?   Can you just change them back when life goes back to normal? 

I read about it in the news, but apparently, you can change your cars that are not being driven to list them as in storage. We have USAA and it said that before we drive those cars again, we need to remove it from being in storage. So we have two cars are listed in storage now and one being driven. Makes me wonder if I should have gone with the cheaper car as driven instead of the brand new one. https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/how-to-reduce-your-car-insurance-costs-during-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-04-01

edited to add: I was able to change it online so did not need to call in and wait on hold.

Edited by Janeway

53 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

When we lived in NW IL we didn’t drive our Corvette from November 1 til about April, so we were able to insure it to reflect it wasn’t being driven. We did keep the coverage to protect us in case something happened like theft or damage while being stored. It didn’t save us a ton, as it only cost about $500 a year to cover it. I think we saved about $125 every winter when we stored it. 
We kept a battery tender on it during those frigid months of not driving it. If you store your car during this shelter in place period, you probably want to start it every 3-4 weeks. Just takes a minute. 
We had American Family insurance, but we’ve done it with other companies also.  I believe some states are more funny about it and might notify the state that you dropped coverage. 

• Thanks 1

We are only allowed to drive to the supermarket or the chemist so about $60 a week petrol (remember petrol is heavily taxed in NZ).  There are no other shops open and I can't buy anything online that isn't essential and I don't need blankets or whiteware. Amazon isn't delivering to NZ. There are no takeaways open ($20 a week saving) or any other eating or entertainment though we don't use those. No school asking for money for random stuff.  I don't do haircuts and the boys aren't due one yet.  

I have purchased 2 things on line.  One was listed as an essential and is a wifi booster with an ethernet port do we can have a computer in the dining room for on line school next week and the other a Memoria Press Logic 1 set which I ordered from Memoria rather than here because school curriculum is non essential and can't be shipped here.  Also it worked out $80 cheaper than buying the same thing here.

I would have got those anyway so I would say I will have saved $300 over our month lockdown but my pay is slightly less.

Like everyone  else, we're saving on gas though not a ton - we don't go that far. Groceries are mostly the same... I bought more at the start, but we tend to buy junk food and things like that whenever we feel like it so it's evened out mostly. We are saving on eating out. We've had takeout twice.

Mostly, we saved a lot of money by having our trip to Europe canceled. We lost a couple hundred dollars on some fees but we got the vast majority of it back. So that was big savings. Ballet pro-rated this last payment, so that was a small savings. If (sigh... when) summer intensive is canceled then I think that'll be savings. I don't know if I'll lose the money for the flight.

I'm probably spending less on little things. Though I did buy new lounge clothes because there's only so many times I could wear the same two pairs of yoga pants and I wasn't willing to put on pants with a zipper during a pandemic.

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Like everyone  else, we're saving on gas though not a ton - we don't go that far. Groceries are mostly the same... I bought more at the start, but we tend to buy junk food and things like that whenever we feel like it so it's evened out mostly. We are saving on eating out. We've had takeout twice.

Mostly, we saved a lot of money by having our trip to Europe canceled. We lost a couple hundred dollars on some fees but we got the vast majority of it back. So that was big savings. Ballet pro-rated this last payment, so that was a small savings. If (sigh... when) summer intensive is canceled then I think that'll be savings. I don't know if I'll lose the money for the flight.

I'm probably spending less on little things. Though I did buy new lounge clothes because there's only so many times I could wear the same two pairs of yoga pants and I wasn't willing to put on pants with a zipper during a pandemic.

The last time I had on real pants was March 13.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I am saving $19.99 every single day by not giving into temptation to watch Emma on Prime Cinema. I am willing to pay $9.00, the actual cost of a movie ticket, not a penny more 

But, but, but...what if you make your whole family watch it with you? If you have 3 or more, you're SAVING money! (I want to see Emma too.)

It’s been forever since I visited the board, but I needed a change of distraction!

We haven’t saved much yet. We already ate at home, and I have always kept a fully-stocked pantry (well, since living in the bush for a year without access to any stores or restaurants) so we have not done too much extra stocking. We did make sure to have plenty of flour, oats, meat, shelf-stable milk, beans, rice, pasta, etc. We buy extra eggs when we find them, and we keep buying produce. I’m challenging myself to use up those random things at the back of the pantry, and my meal planning is at a gold-star level, so we are making the best of this.

Our food prices haven’t changed. Belgium supposedly has expensive groceries compared to France and Germany, but dry goods and seasonal produce are still dirt cheap. I really don’t buy many snacky things - we eat three meals and a snack, which is usually fruit, nuts, air-popped popcorn, crackers and peanut butter, or cheese. Dh did stock up on beer, though he isn’t drinking more than usual so it will even out. 

We didn’t have high commuting costs but are for sure driving less. We haven’t bought really anything “extra” - this is a chance to use the stuff we already have! We have a ton of games, puzzles, craft supplies ... although the kids still have about the same amount of free time as before, so we aren’t trying to fill up blank time. 

• Like 2

We've spent more on groceries, but less on gas, lunches out, and activities. I have only used half a tank of gas in almost a month, and DH hasn't used any.  I feel like I've spent so much money on groceries, but I think that might level off a bit now. The stores are better stocked, so I don't feel like I have to go out next week.  DH got a raise right before the pandemic, so we've saved that extra income.  Any income that my at-home business generates goes toward debt right now. 

If we are very careful and DH does not get laid off, we will end the pandemic in a better financial position than where we started. We've saved about $1500 so far. 

Edited by MissLemon

57 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Hi @ondreeuh!  I remember you!  So, you are still in Belgium.  Are you quarantining like we are in the States?

Hey there! We have more restrictions than most places in the states. We have been in lockdown for about four weeks and are only allowed to go to grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, banks, post offices, and restaurants for takeaway (of which there aren’t many still open near me). We can’t go to parks or drive anywhere for exercise but can walk near our homes. No more than 2 people in a car. We have to shop alone and grocery carts are mandatory to maintain distancing. Our bases are requiring face masks at all times starting tomorrow, but we can’t go to craft stores to get materials to make masks. So we are using pillowcases and scraps. I see in the US many places are allowing non-essential retail stores to stay open and people can still go to parks and trails. Must be nice!

Our rules will be revisited next week, but I’m hearing they will be extended to May.

• Like 4

In our garage, there's one car and one motorcycle. They are getting very little use at this time, so there is quite a savings in Gasoline that isn't being purchased.  However, I am willing to bet that whatever is being saved in not buying Gasoline,  that our Food costs have greatly increased with the "Shelter in Place" decrees that we are under here in Colombia.

So, to answer your question, my gut feeling is that our costs have increased, because we are buying a lot more food.

• Like 1

We are definitely up.  The kids and I have always been home all day, so electric and food consumption are the same.  Our food budget is a large portion of our spending, but now it's even higher because I am having to shop at different stores and buy different brands, which costs a bit more per item.  We didn't have a reserve of food, so I've been trying to stock essentials when I can find them. Gas usage is down slightly because I'm not going out as frequently, but when I do go out, I have to drive all around God's green Earth to find things like toilet paper. Dance is happening online, so we're not saving money there. We usually don't have anything to budget for entertainment outside of Netflix, but we've squeezed two movies in on Amazon. Honestly, if my husband were deemed "nonessential" by the Powers That Be, we would be in a bad spot for the foreseeable future...like a lot of other Americans are. 

I don't think our family is seeing any savings.  I am still working, same commute, so no change in gas money.  College kid had some classes cancelled that weren't possible to be held online, so some tuition refund.  No bus pass fee this quarter due to online classes only.  Groceries are more expensive because of less choice of items -- sometimes the expensive brand is all there is. I'm not inclined to visit multiple stores to try to get the best deal; I get what there is and pay however much it costs and get out of the store quickly.

No music lesson fees at the moment.  I guess that saves a bit.  But we've bought a number of jigsaw puzzles to keep us entertained, and Amazon orders, and stocking up on various items, which all adds up.

I feel like we're saving a ton because of our cancelled gym memberships and kid activities and no date nights, lunches out for DH, dry cleaning, or drinks with friends. Hair cuts, dr. and dentist visits all deferred. We will also save a small fortune on camps and family travel this summer (even if things reopen we've decided to stay home and do a simple summer). Definitely spending almost nothing on gas  -  just 1 mile to the grocery store and back once a week.

However, I am spending more money on groceries since cooking and eating are now highlights of the day. I've also spent more on books since the libraries are all closed. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out at the end of the month. 

On 4/8/2020 at 2:09 PM, gstharr said:

In theory, I should be saving money.  We ae in Los Angeles area. Driving the 9th grader to and from school was  about $5/day in gas, and another $10 gas for weekend excursions.  Then a few dollars per weekend for him to play a  round of golf using special jr. club pricing ($1-5 per round).   Now all golf courses in California are closed. So,  it is trip to Las Vegas area every weekend, and paying regular adult prices for the round ($25+). 

Maybe, I'll see some savings now. All courses in Nevada were shut down yesterday. Arizona is still open,    4 hours one way from L.A. to Vegas, and 4 hours for a round, was a doable day trip, especially with nothing else to do. But no way am I am trying 6 hours to Phoenix for golf.

We’ve saved some on gas and eating out, but a fair amount of that is countered by much higher grocery bills—dh has been doing all the grocery shopping for the family while I have been very sick (not corona), and he will buy whatever strikes his fancy, and the more expensive brands, and often go to the much more expensive store because it is a little closer.

Not much at all. Food is about the same. We are using up some stuff we had, but have needed to get some more things to stock up on. 

We walked most places and spent about $8 a week on public transportation when needed. So it hasn't been a big savings. 

Some of our utilities will be up I am sure. We normally spent a big chunk of time at the park a day.