Menu

What do you think? How long will it go on?

Teaching3bears

6 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I agree with you that a lack of income is as terrible as a lack of food. But, I am confident that people will eat. The government will deploy the army to drop off food if they have to. I am not sure about the economy collapsing, real estate market crashing, stock market crashing, healthcare system collapsing, the millions of kids who will not be educated etc because I am not an expert in those things and can only watch it all as if it is horror movie happening in front of me. My next door house was rented by a lady who provided a home based infant daycare to several women who worked in those privileged jobs in a name-brand silicon valley company. She got several other qualified and trained women to work for her and take care of those babies to maintain high quality and the ratio of carer:baby. Yesterday, it shut down because all the women engineers who were her customers were asked to shelter in place and not go to work and the health officers deemed her business as "non-essential" she laid off all her employees. I know several older ladies who are music teachers who are already scrambling to pay their rents due to canceled lessons and are terrified about losing the roof over their heads in their old age 😞 There is going to be a huge hit to the common man, I am sure.

if we get to the point that government is dropping food, then we are also at a point that militias are on the streets. 
That’s why I think quarantines will be in and off and will balance a matter of health and economy somehow. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Terabith said:

I could swear Chesapeake was east coast?  We're over in Roanoke.  

Chesapeake is in Southeastern VA, also known as Hampton Roads/Tidewater area. It's about as southeastern as you can get and still be in Virginia... you go through it to get to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

then we are also at a point that militias are on the streets. 

Did you know that people in Los Angeles county who would never normally own firearms are buying weapons because the criminals are out on the streets? The sheriff released criminals to prevent spread of C-19 and they will not arrest any more criminals or so the story goes. (as I said, I am watching news like it is a horror movie!)

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Did you know that people in Los Angeles county who would never normally own firearms are buying weapons because the criminals are out on the streets? The sheriff released criminals to prevent spread of C-19 and they will not arrest any more criminals or so the story goes. (as I said, I am watching news like it is a horror movie!)

I know. I am just saying that if this country has to sacrifice certain number of deaths to the virus to make sure even greater number isn’t lost to chaos and hunger, that sacrifice will be made. 

i also want to point out that with all the terrible news coming out of Italy, there is also some success. Lombardy is still the hardest hit and the lockdown seems to have had an effect because we haven’t seen the repeat of Lombardy in other regions. I also saw the headline today that the rate of new infections is stabilizing in Italy.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2020 at 2:53 PM, Roadrunner said:

Millions will starve if quarantines continue for more than couple of months. Unlike Europe, we have no real safety net. 

Also mortality rates in South Korea are under 1%. So hoping, really hoping we slow this thing down and then somehow manage the more stable rate of infection. 

You have to have a Malaria shot to travel to S Korea. And now research is showing that a Malaria drug and vaccination reduces the severity of the illness. I wonder if this is connected to the reduced mortality rate.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:21 PM, Roadrunner said:

If people don’t have income, full shelves in supermarkets aren’t going to help. I think all the people working privileged jobs (tech sector in Silicon Valley for example), or government jobs or even just plain “professional” jobs he lost the perspective of millions who live paycheck to paycheck and those paychecks are quickly disappearing as restaurants and hotels close. It’s not the lack of food, it’s lack of income that’s going to kill people. And the $1k in people’s pocket isn’t going to pay rent, utilities and feed them. 

I believe that we have learned what not to do from the 1930s and the government will be very proactive. I don't think we'll have Hoovervilles (would that be Trumpvilles now?). I imagine if this continues there will be some sort of massive New Deal 2.0 to prevent chaos. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I saw today there is a plan to have mortgage payments waved for up to a year because of this, for people out of work. No utility shut offs, etc. So at least that 1K or 2K a month could go to food rather than those things, if need be. 

Maryland already suspended evictions and utility shut-offs for the remainder of the crisis.  If people can stay fed and keep their wits about them I think something will be put in place to ease the burden of lost wages and missed payments.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 3:32 PM, mathnerd said:

I know several older ladies who are music teachers who are already scrambling to pay their rents due to canceled lessons and are terrified about losing the roof over their heads in their old age 😞 

Do they have access to any technology?  I know several private music teachers who are using Zoom or FaceTime to teach their lessons. 

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Do they have access to any technology?  I know several private music teachers who are using Zoom or FaceTime to teach their lessons. 

They do have FaceTime and know how to use it. But, the clients are not willing to pay a high price/hr that they pay for in-person lessons for FaceTime lessons. We live in a high COL area and hence their anxiety.

7 hours ago, Paige said:

I believe that we have learned what not to do from the 1930s and the government will be very proactive. I don't think we'll have Hoovervilles (would that be Trumpvilles now?). I imagine if this continues there will be some sort of massive New Deal 2.0 to prevent chaos. 

The politics of this country have changed a great deal in the past 90 years.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, DawnM said:

We have already been told to highly anticipate being out the rest of the year.  Kansas has already declared it.  Other states will be following.  Our state (NC) has already waved all tests.  Online instruction for our district has not started yet.  This is my first day home, Mon and Tue were at school.

Not sure what my own son's AP class will do as far as testing.

Do you have a link for waving all tests? I’m in NC as well. I would be surprised if we go back as well. As a side note I find it interesting that the first state to say they’re out for the year has a woman governor.  I feel as a woman you know parents want to know and plan as soon as possible. 

I have a high school senior and a college senior. I don’t expect to see either of them have a graduation ceremony. My college senior is very worried about post graduation. She was having a good number of job interviews but as of the past week and a half everything has dried up. She was commenting about how this is probably as bad as graduating during the Great Recession. I told her I think this is harder. I don’t ever remember living through such uncertainty. 

31 minutes ago, hshibley said:

Do you have a link for waving all tests? I’m in NC as well. I would be surprised if we go back as well. As a side note I find it interesting that the first state to say they’re out for the year has a woman governor.  I feel as a woman you know parents want to know and plan as soon as possible. 

I have a high school senior and a college senior. I don’t expect to see either of them have a graduation ceremony. My college senior is very worried about post graduation. She was having a good number of job interviews but as of the past week and a half everything has dried up. She was commenting about how this is probably as bad as graduating during the Great Recession. I told her I think this is harder. I don’t ever remember living through such uncertainty. 

You know, I don't.  I think I should say "IF they don't go back to school, tests are waived" as that is actually the wording.  I heard it from my the local district's board meeting.  I don't think it is online anywhere yet.  They are still scrambling to figure everything out for academics.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 12:15 PM, DawnM said:

Not sure what my own son's AP class will do as far as testing.

@MEmama

AP exams will be 45mins online (ETA: FRQ) to be done at home.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update

ETA:

“For the 2019–20 exam administration only, students can take a 45-minute online free-response exam at home. Educator-led development committees are currently selecting the exam questions that will be administered.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, mathnerd said:

They do have FaceTime and know how to use it. But, the clients are not willing to pay a high price/hr that they pay for in-person lessons for FaceTime lessons. We live in a high COL area and hence their anxiety.

Not only that, people are looking at liquidating stocks to have cash on hand and stock prices went down. Many I know are conserving cash just in case of full blown recession.

We paid our Chinese tutor but I told her to suspend lessons with my kids for this month. She is exhausted with running around to people’s homes since libraries are closed while my kids are exhausted from the in person class to online transition. 

32 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Not only that, people are looking at liquidating stocks to have cash on hand and stock prices went down. Many I know are conserving cash just in case of full blown recession.

We paid our Chinese tutor but I told her to suspend lessons with my kids for this month. She is exhausted with running around to people’s homes since libraries are closed while my kids are exhausted from the in person class to online transition. 

@Arcadia part of why the stock market is tanking because of people panicking and liquidating stocks 😞 

Just as an aside, could you give me your opinion on whether you would personally pay a highly paid tutor or coach the same old rate for online lessons. If a high end music teacher/voice coach/dance coach/chess coach etc used to charge $125+/hour for in-person coaching and now they want to continue the sessions online, would you still pay that same high amount considering how much lesser the student is getting out of a Skype lesson for learning skills that are more efficiently taught in-person.  Someone asked me this question and I thought I might ask here ...

3 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

@Arcadia part of why the stock market is tanking because of people panicking and liquidating stocks 😞 

Just as an aside, could you give me your opinion on whether you would personally pay a highly paid tutor or coach the same old rate for online lessons. If a high end music teacher/voice coach/dance coach/chess coach etc used to charge $125+/hour for in-person coaching and now they want to continue the sessions online, would you still pay that same high amount considering how much lesser the student is getting out of a Skype lesson for learning skills that are more efficiently taught in-person.  Someone asked me this question and I thought I might ask here ...

We converted our private voice and violin lessons to online this week.   It is going ok.  Although my kids like in person lessons.   We had already paid for these, so still paying the regular rate.  Actually the charter school paid for them.  

I wouldn't pay the same for online lessons that are not as good as in person teaching.   My kids are all ballet dancers and one of the teachers contacted us to privates right now.  But part of it to keep people safe was to have the teacher not touch them (her idea).    While I think teachers can verbally correct students, the hands on contact is so useful in some things.   So it would depend on what kind of lesson it is.   For me, ballet I would not pay the same. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Just as an aside, could you give me your opinion on whether you would personally pay a highly paid tutor or coach the same old rate for online lessons.

Some are liquidating stocks because of furloughs. 

Whether I would pay a highly paid tutor or coach the same old rate for online lessons depends on how long they have been teaching my kids. Their Chinese tutor has taught them since 2014 so I would still pay her the usual rate. For music or art lessons, I am unlikely to because the “premium” is for hands on instruction and corrections.  If the music or art teacher has taught my kids for years, I might be willing to pay full price for April out of compassion. My husband would just ask our kids to quit lessons if  it changes to online with no reduction in fees. 

I think it will go on for awhile bc people REFUSE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!

I had to go grocery shopping today - I live in New England - you would think it was simply a day before Superbowl when Patriots are playing or another snow storm. Yes, people are buying everything insight.  And  NO ONE is staying away from each other. A guy who parked next to me was coughing up a lung and still went into the store. Cashier who checking me out was telling another coworker about soooo many people coming in with some sort of illness.

The store I was in actually has "elderly" hours.  Anyone wants to take a guess as to how many elderly I saw just walking around like it's a day in a park and not utilizing their hours?

They closed a few parks around here. So, guess what?? People park outside and still go in to the playground and dog park.

So, if so many worried about loosing income and how govt is not taking care of anything - may they should just do their part and stay home and stop complaining about everything else

So, yes, it will go on for awhile in US bc I think Americans have a very different mentality when it comes to crisis.

And this is from someone who lived through Chernobyl!!!  And we did have universal free healthcare. I can assure you  - it wouldn't have helped you unless you were a "chosen ones". And govt also didn't tell anyone for days and days after it happened. But once people knew - NO ONE was playing on a playground or doing anything that wasn't advisable to do

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Those of you with Amazon subscribe and save orders should check what's coming this month. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't hold stock for orders that were placed months ago. My diapers and wipes ordered every other month for like 2 years won't be coming next week. 😕 Those are the only things out of stock now, but I am wondering about everything else because it hasn't shipped and usually it would have by now. FWIW, I didn't have TP in my order this month or it probably wouldn't be here either.

On 3/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, happysmileylady said:

But I think something that's really important to note is that most people who get this will only get a mild case.  The vast majority of people who experience this actual disease are going to come out the other side and think....well, that wasn't so bad. 

And, when you combine all that with the fact that society has a bad collective memory about such things....I think "normal" is going to look pretty "normal."  

You're right as far as the proportion of "mild" cases (though some I've read are emphasizing that this can mean a week of misery, not just a brief cold), but I think what will greatly improve the collective memory---and affect people's behavior during and after the "acute" phase---will be the experience of losing or nearly losing loved ones to this. People whose healthy children die of seasonal flu never see the flu the same way. I am afraid many people will understand that after COVID-19 works its way through our country.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, happysmileylady said:

But I think something that's really important to note is that most people who get this will only get a mild case.  The vast majority of people who experience this actual disease are going to come out the other side and think....well, that wasn't so bad.

I think it is true that most people will only get a mild case, but I also think most people will at least know someone badly affected, if not closely related. I find it very hard to believe most are going to come out the other side thinking that wasn’t so bad. Maybe their own personal illness wasn’t, but they’ll see and love others for whom that isn’t the case.

• Like 3

On 3/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, mathnerd said:

As long as dh and I are still able to continue working, I don’t have a problem continuing classes or lessons online for awhile. My dd’s dance studio is continuing classes on Facebook Live. No, it’s not the same as in-person classes, but it’s the best we can do for now, and I’ll continue to pay for the classes as long as we are able to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dc has two music lessons online right now.  Because dc is an advanced student, the teachers don't need to be hands-on during lessons - verbal explanations with video are enough.  Dc thinks one of the instructors is actually better via video because she's more focused.  We are happy to pay the full amount. Dc is getting the same (or better) instruction without all of the travel time.   

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, Patty Joanna said:

It's so funny--when I watch a TV show now and see people working in close proximity, or hugging, I get a frisson...   WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????  So odd.

Me too! I was just telling ds that I think we must be primed for that, like fear of snakes.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:22 PM, SereneHome said:

I think it will go on for awhile bc people REFUSE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!

I had to go grocery shopping today - I live in New England - you would think it was simply a day before Superbowl when Patriots are playing or another snow storm. Yes, people are buying everything insight.  And  NO ONE is staying away from each other. A guy who parked next to me was coughing up a lung and still went into the store. Cashier who checking me out was telling another coworker about soooo many people coming in with some sort of illness.

The store I was in actually has "elderly" hours.  Anyone wants to take a guess as to how many elderly I saw just walking around like it's a day in a park and not utilizing their hours?

The "elderly hours" aren't meant to restrict them to those hours - they are meant to be a perk to those who want to utilize them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hippiemamato3 said:

The "elderly hours" aren't meant to restrict them to those hours - they are meant to be a perk to those who want to utilize them. 

Yes, I understand that! But if you are given an opportunity to be safer and you are not taking - that's not right!  Bc those employees were getting into the store at 3am to get everything ready by 5.30 for elderly hours.

This was just one example of how people are not taking this seriously at all!!!!

Just now, SereneHome said:

Yes, I understand that! But if you are given an opportunity to be safer and you are not taking - that's not right!  Bc those employees were getting into the store at 3am to get everything ready by 5.30 for elderly hours.

This was just one example of how people are not taking this seriously at all!!!!

And some elderly people aren't even able to get out at those early hours. It's a ridiculous time IMO.  I see no obligation for them to go during those times. Those employees are getting paid while many others are not!

Just now, hippiemamato3 said:

And some elderly people aren't even able to get out at those early hours. It's a ridiculous time IMO.  I see no obligation for them to go during those times. Those employees are getting paid while many others are not!

it's time when the store is the cleanest!!!!!!

OK, I am not getting into this, I am just not!

20 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

it's time when the store is the cleanest!!!!!!

OK, I am not getting into this, I am just not!

It would be just as clean if they set aside the first two regular opening hours for the elderly and immunocompromised - and no one would have to get a ride to the store in the dark. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

It would be just as clean if they set aside the first two regular opening hours for the elderly and immunocompromised - and no one would have to get a ride to the store in the dark. 

I've seen both models here - where they set off an hour or so of regular opening hours, and when they make it before (like 5:30am!) I certainly prefer the former.  Dh is going to try out the 5:30 slot tomorrow  (he's old enough; I'm not quite there yet...) 

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2020 at 8:50 PM, ktgrok said:

I keep thinking that if they really wanted people to take this seroiusly and stay home they should have said the main symptoms were weight gain in women and impotence in men. Everyone would have locked themselves down ASAP then. 

Hmmm.   I might need to use this...  

• Haha 3

Thanks for re-upping.  Honestly this long ordeal has warped my sense of time.

re had we only known then....

On 3/21/2020 at 8:50 PM, ktgrok said:

I keep thinking that if they really wanted people to take this seroiusly and stay home they should have said the main symptoms were weight gain in women and impotence in men. Everyone would have locked themselves down ASAP then. 

Among my female peeps, "COVID 19" meant the average of ~19 pounds we put on during those months when we didn't leave the house...

and re effects on men...

32 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Hmmm.   I might need to use this...  

in all seriousness - while I haven't seen anything on impotence, I have seen several (small and inconclusive) studies suggesting one of the long COVID effects may be impaired male fertility.

• Like 3

This should send some of the fundie nutter men into a tizzy! This is where the messaging should have been. Primetime, maybe Bruce Willis as the spokesperson! 😁

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/yes-covid-19-can-cause-erectile-dysfunction/

Then again, I know some women who would been poking holes in their husband's masks! 😂😂😂

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, MEmama said:

Actually, isn’t there evidence that it can cause ED? 

Yep.  I read that several months ago too…I think it was last winter. I was trying to come up with things for my DH to tell his anti-mask—anti-vax—COVID—is—a—hoax—workmates so he wouldn’t bring it home to the rest of us…before the vaccines were out. 

Man, this is a trip.  Everyone I know in real life at least, absolutely ridiculed me for my predictions that this would go on for 18 months.  They told me it was proof of my catastrophic thinking and evidence of my depression.  Turns out my dire and pessimistic thinking was overly optimistic....

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Man, this is a trip.  Everyone I know in real life at least, absolutely ridiculed me for my predictions that this would go on for 18 months.  They told me it was proof of my catastrophic thinking and evidence of my depression.  Turns out my dire and pessimistic thinking was overly optimistic....

I've been predicting 3 years. We're getting closer all the time. I hope THAT is not overly optimistic. 😖

• Like 1