Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Just now, square_25 said:

I don't see how, though. It's so dangerous for the residents... 

Maybe some version of how they let certain prisoners have visits ... face to face in a separate facility with limited / gloved touching; then sanitize before returning to the ward ... something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, square_25 said:

And visitors, if residents are spreading it to one another: a 95yo resident may have a 75yo child visiting who is also definitely at risk.

Toilet paper aisle, Target, 8 am this morning.

A few minutes after surveying this scene and consoling myself that I have plenty, several people loudly and excitedly announced that a Charmin delivery was on its way! The poor guy who rolled his single pallet of toilet paper from the back room was followed by a gaggle of giddy shoppers; he must have felt very popular! I have say though, as surreal as the whole experience of a half empty Target was, everyone was laughing together at the absurdity, sharing tips on where to find items, and generally extra kind to each other. And impressively, everyone I saw took only one package of toilet paper, there was no hoarding. 

It’s clear that *everyone* finally woke up here, seemingly overnight. I’m not sure what caused the change, but I am glad I was ahead of the curve and glad the grocery shops and so on are doing their best to keep up. 

65B3D57D-C487-4672-A189-CC9C67F271E0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

A UPS truck worth of toilet paper 🙂

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-dow-plunges-white-house-grapples-spreading-crisis-n1157551/ncrd1158101#liveBlogHeader
“UPS workers see holiday shopping-level volume

Online shopping has risen sharply around the country as people are encouraged to social distance because of coronavirus, say retail analysts. Delivery volume is up around the country and has reached holiday season-levels in some places, according to UPS workers in several states, with one describing it as “like Christmas.” During what they say is normally a slower time of year, UPS drivers and union representatives in Florida, Georgia and New York told NBC News they are seeing volumes they normally only see during the holiday season, with some working 12-hour days or longer to keep up with demand.

“We had a guy this morning go out with an entire truck with just toilet paper on it,” a driver in Wisconsin said.“

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Toilet paper aisle, Target, 8 am this morning.

A few minutes after surveying this scene and consoling myself that I have plenty, several people loudly and excitedly announced that a Charmin delivery was on its way! The poor guy who rolled his single pallet of toilet paper from the back room was followed by a gaggle of giddy shoppers; he must have felt very popular! I have say though, as surreal as the whole experience of a half empty Target was, everyone was laughing together at the absurdity, sharing tips on where to find items, and generally extra kind to each other. And impressively, everyone I saw took only one package of toilet paper, there was no hoarding. 

It’s clear that *everyone* finally woke up here, seemingly overnight. I’m not sure what caused the change, but I am glad I was ahead of the curve and glad the grocery shops and so on are doing their best to keep up. 

I looked sadly at our empty shelves and then walked over to get a pack of tissues.  A middle aged man was there and grabbed the last six pack of tissues, saw me with the four pack, and offered the six pack to me! I said no thank you, I've got a couple of boxes still at home, then I repaid the favor by telling the story of how I happened to be going through our first aid supplies and found a whole bottle of hand sanitizer! He hadn't thought of their first aid kit so he thanked me and said he would go home and check his out:).  But I will admit I went during the day -- I haven't been at night or early morning so it might be a different crowd!

Edited by SanDiegoMom in VA
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, SKL said:

I need to call my dad soon and tell him I won't be coming over to give him the items he asked me to procure for my mom.  Will probably FedEx them.  I'll ask if he needs me to order any deliveries for him.

I've got one more trip to my dad's to make.  Going late tonight so hopefully no one in the halls. I'm wearing a mask - better than nothing!

Will be his last fresh milk and fruits!  I've got him lots of shelf stable stuff and his freezer is full.  Need to take pics of his meds so I can walk him through filling them in 4 weeks if needed.

Then I am home!

Can you just drop the items at his front door or would that put you in jeopardy?

So surreal!!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SKL said:

I was thinking outdoor, but not in a place where a gajillion kids are running around.

With weeks of this new situation ahead, I feel like it's a good idea to do things that will benefit our lungs, so that when/if we catch something, we have a better starting point.  I'm not a doctor, but this just sounds logical to me.

My asthma doctor said the best thing we can do is exercise and strengthen the lungs! 

26 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I worry for the residents. After having my relatives in some homes, I feel it's also dangerous to not have visitors (aka accountability!). There's no good solution.

Edited by Paige
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, SKL said:

I'm really worried about the no visitor policy in nursing homes.  They should find some way to make it possible.  I fear people will die or be permanently damaged from the lack of contact with loved ones.

This is sadly the new reality!!!  I cannot even believe it!  I was upset my 93 year-old in-laws had not moved out of their single family home.  They've been stubborn!  Now it may save their lives!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Aura said:

ETA: Aack! I just reread this and realized it might come across the wrong way @mlktwinsI don't mean this to mean your kids don't know what's going on. I meant it as support and agreement with you. Your-family-loves-you-because-they-know-you've-got-their-back kinda thing.

@Aura No worries!!!  I didn't take it the wrong way at all :-)!!!  And...I agree with you!

• Like 1

My kids’ schools are not closed, and my husband, who does tech stuff for the hospital, can normally work from home but not now.  Too many meetings. There are no official cases in area.  My husband doesn’t think it makes sense to limit our outings yet, since we can’t lock down.  Church has been cancelled.  I think it’s reasonable to let my kids go on play dates and play d&d at the library, since they’re primarily with those kids at school anyway. We’ve been eating out, but I think we’re going to stop that this weekend.  I think I’m going to say no going to the musical the high school is putting on.  

If school closes, we’re locking down, except for necessary work stuff.  

19 hours ago, Pen said:

I am so extremely worried for this coming summer fires.  

People have got to figure out how to not put the first responders fire departments at risk. 

What would help is if the !*^%#€£¥ nurse lines would STOP telling people to call 911 when they call in asking about symptoms!!!!🤬

— signed, a paramedic who ran multiple ILI calls yesterday because of this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

12 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

I looked sadly at our empty shelves and then walked over to get a pack of tissues.  A middle aged man was there and grabbed the last six pack of tissues, saw me with the four pack, and offered the six pack to me! I said no thank you, I've got a couple of boxes still at home, then I repaid the favor by telling the story of how I happened to be going through our first aid supplies and found a whole bottle of hand sanitizer! He hadn't thought of their first aid kit so he thanked me and said he would go home and check his out:).  But I will admit I went during the day -- I haven't been at night or early morning so it might be a different crowd!

That’s a great tip!

Also, make sure to thank the stockers and everyone who are working so hard to keep supplies on the shelves. I thanked the toilet paper guy and his co worker who was scanning prices for people since the packages weren’t yet marked, and she was so grateful I thought she was going to cry. Sharing tips like this ^^^ is another great way to connect in this time of uncertainty. This is the time to come together, people.

• Like 5

I was just at the supermarket trying to pickup my prescription and it's a zoo! And of course it wasn't ready yet... I heard they closed all the public schools as of today indefinitely and moved to online learning. Catholic churches have cancelled Mass for the next 2 weeks I think. I'm in northern NJ. Still waiting for a bed for my fil to go to short term rehab, and the hospitals are checking visitors before allowing them in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Oh, no one has any clue what the "best thing" is at the moment. Simply not enough information available... 

Well, we shouldn't smoke. But mostly we shouldn't have smoked before. What we do now probably doesn't matter that much. 

This was years ago in regards to asthma in general for my DD.

As someone in a state who was hit first before the ones now being hit, the buying crazes go in fits.  If you can't get something now, and it isn't an urgent buy, then wait a week and most likely stores will have it again.  If it is an urgent buy for something like toilet paper, then hit some stores that you wouldn't think of first.  Our pharmacy was the best place to find toilet paper.  So was Home Depot.  (Check to see if yours stocks it normally). 

Also as someone who has been "locked down" to some degree for years due to being immunocompromised, you can call the pharmacy to see if your order is ready before you go.  You can request (at least at my pharmacies) home delivery. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

All Virginia schools are closed for at least 2 weeks.  Our county just announced they are closed until April 14th.    

Where are you finding this?  I’m in Roanoke, and our superintendent sent out a message saying they weren’t closing schools this morning.  But things are moving quickly.  

Statement from Duke Energy --

As part of your community and a provider of essential services, we are here to support you during this uncertain time. Since many of our customers may be facing unusual financial hardship, we are suspending disconnection for nonpayment effective immediately. This applies to all home and business accounts in Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina and Tennessee. We will continue to look for ways to support customer needs during the pandemic. Thank you.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Where are you finding this?  I’m in Roanoke, and our superintendent sent out a message saying they weren’t closing schools this morning.  But things are moving quickly.  

This was on my FB feed.

https://www.insidenova.com/news/education/arlington/all-schools-in-virginia-closed-through-march/article_f85cbe66-654d-11ea-b452-c76ed4d48127.html?fbclid=IwAR0Gmdi2_XeMI_HK8oXjFyUehoBd8DBqfa6PSDWvS5EA5N5oqFusrGtohjc

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

As someone in a state who was hit first before the ones now being hit, the buying crazes go in fits.  If you can't get something now, and it isn't an urgent buy, then wait a week and most likely stores will have it again.  If it is an urgent buy for something like toilet paper, then hit some stores that you wouldn't think of first.  Our pharmacy was the best place to find toilet paper.  So was Home Depot.  (Check to see if yours stocks it normally). 

Also as someone who has been "locked down" to some degree for years due to being immunocompromised, you can call the pharmacy to see if your order is ready before you go.  You can request (at least at my pharmacies) home delivery. 

I'm glad I placed my usual 80 roll box order from Amazon two weeks ago and decided to add a box last week. I'm  the proud owner of 160 rolls of toilet paper. 🙂 We were seeing shortages last week in our town and the next. I can do without many things but tp is not one of them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dmmetler said:

Does anyone know what is happening in Guatemala? A bunch of DD's Spanish classes for the next few weeks just got cancelled (and a few rescheduled) all at once, which makes me worry for her teacher. 

I wonder if they're isolating themselves. We've gotten cancellations too. El Salvador shut down entry by non-Salvadorans although they are still allowing people to leave.

44 minutes ago, brehon said:

What would help is if the !*^%#€£¥ nurse lines would STOP telling people to call 911 when they call in asking about symptoms!!!!🤬

— signed, a paramedic who ran multiple ILI calls yesterday because of this. 

If merely asking about symptoms, my understanding is it should be 211 anywhere 211 is available (or, of course, 111 if in UK). 

?????

16 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Statement from Duke Energy --

I hope they do this by me. We've been having some financial difficulties lately and I can see our business being disrupted drastically in the next few weeks. I am trying to get a medical waiver for shut off in place too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I'm not sure whether to feel foolish or brilliant. I just spent 2x to 3x normal amount at the grocery store getting food and goods to keep us stocked without shopping for a loooooong time. I was thinking 2 or 3 weeks, but now that I've unpacked it, I'm sure it's more like 6+ weeks worth of food when combined with what we had already.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to either feel like a dummy for falling for the hype and needing to eat all of this excess repetitive staples food... or like a queen as our repetitive staples keep us full, healthy and worry free for as long necessary. I hate that there's no way to actually know what the right thing to do is.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I'm not sure whether to feel foolish or brilliant. I just spent 2x to 3x normal amount at the grocery store getting food and goods to keep us stocked without shopping for a loooooong time. I was thinking 2 or 3 weeks, but now that I've unpacked it, I'm sure it's more like 6+ weeks worth of food when combined with what we had already.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to either feel like a dummy for falling for the hype and needing to eat all of this excess repetitive staples food... or like a queen as our repetitive staples keep us full, healthy and worry free for as long necessary. I hate that there's no way to actually know what the right thing to do is.

I want to feel like a dummy.

I want all this to blow over and people not get sick and to feel like we overreacted.

I'll be absolutely thrilled if that happens.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

I like that they're waiving all the regulatory stuff so doctors can just practice, as needed, without required office space.  And waiving nursing home waiting periods. And allowing telemedicine everywhere for the time being.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Statement from Duke Energy --As part of your community and a provider of essential services, we are here to support you during this uncertain time. Since many of our customers may be facing unusual financial hardship, we are suspending disconnection for nonpayment effective immediately. This applies to all home and business accounts in Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina and Tennessee. We will continue to look for ways to support customer needs during the pandemic. Thank you.

Pacific Power in Oregon is doing the same thing.

Pacific Power said it is "temporarily suspending disconnections and late fees for non-payment for customers in Oregon, Washington and California to support the state of emergency declared in all three states in response to the COVID-19 virus."

"The company will continue to evaluate other ways to support our customers for the duration of this quickly evolving public health emergency," the utility company said in a statement.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, dsmith said:

I hope they do this by me. We've been having some financial difficulties lately and I can see our business being disrupted drastically in the next few weeks. I am trying to get a medical waiver for shut off in place too.

Governor stopped all shut offs in NJ for residential and business. 

50 in NJ now confirmed.  21 new since yesterday.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Katy said:

Why isn't the secret service keeping the president and the VP apart?

In a pandemic when we know both of them have been exposed this seems like a terrible idea.

Let's do whatever it takes to protect the health and wellbeing of Anthony Fauci!

• Like 17

40 minutes ago, bolt. said:

If you find that you have a stash of stuff you don't want to eat, donate it to a food pantry.  They are going to have a lot of demand placed upon them.

I suspect, however, that 6 weeks from now things are going to be much, much worse.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Waking up to the news this morning ... ugh

2547 new cases and 250 deaths in Italy

1063 and 53 in Spain (total 4209 and 120)

785 new cases and 18 deaths in France 

countries completely closing their borders to any non citizens including Poland, Czech Republic 

State of emergency for the US

Back to feeling like Australia needs to do more - so much more  right now.

• Like 2

Ugh. Spring sports here have been delayed until the end of April. The regular season only goes through mid or late May. DS has been planning to contact university coaches to start watching his times, and now there won’t be much opportunity. 😞

School was just cancelled for Monday so staff and administrators can prepare for an eventual closing. I’m guessing it will be officially shut. He is devastated. 😞 

So, so much uncertainty. 

• Sad 4

9 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Peeps, do you think there is any utility in putting family members in different rooms for sleeping from now on?

Or is that just ridiculous, given we're breathing the same air anyway?

We have enough rooms, temporarily, to have one person to a room.

We have a plan to put any symptomatic people in their own room, and to use one bathroom.  Everyone else will switch to the other bathroom.  We are running HEPA filters in bedrooms, and upgraded our house HVAC to nice filters.

Look, is there going to be some exposure across the house, sure....but heavy repeated exposure just dumps a higher viral load on you.  I think there is some utility in separate spaces. 

Should someone become ill, we will have them open their bedroom window a bit to bring in fresh air but keep their door closed and we're going to have them double bag their trash, launder on sterilize cycle, etc.  They will eat and live somewhat separately and the rest of us will be praying not to get it.

Now that everyone is home, all backpacks, coats, and other things from the outside world are getting laundered today.  Spring cleaning on steroids.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@mathnerd

“CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: 2 more SJ firefighters have tested positive for COVID-19, totaling to 6 cases. 1 additional TSA worker from Mineta San Jose International Airport has also tested positive for the virus after 3 cases were reported Tuesday.” https://abc7news.com/health/6-firefighters-1-additional-tsa-worker-test-positive-for-covid-19-in-sj-/6010411/

• Sad 5

29 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I'm very happy with New York State and New York City. Tons of testing and no deaths yet -- that means they started testing early and proactively. They are ramping up testing capacity using lots and lots of private labs, some of which seem to be making the process more automatic. 

I'm hoping it's contained here. Schools aren't closed, though, except in New Rochelle, which worries me. 

Some of our schools are further north from New Rochelle.  I suspect our local school will continue with the closure past Monday.