Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

48 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My RO is an undersink version and I use our hole from our old soap dispenser to thread the separate mini tap for the RO. My countertop space is limited.

Working backwards from newest,  I initially was reading this in my mind as as “My R naught” — then I had to do a brain readjust to realizing this is about a reverse osmosis water purifier, not transmission of virus . It gave me a little chuckle when I realized.  

I better go back to reading posts in correct order!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yes, I have a friend who is Antiochian Orthodox.  Not only are they making no changes in the way they do Communion, they kiss relics and icons.  And are highly discouraging people from missing church.  And they have a LOT of services.  I'm worried about her.

our church has made changes.  We have hand sanitizers everywhere.  We have been told not to kiss icons & cross but to bow or cross ourselves.  We are no longer to take communion as we used to but take it like a baby bird.  Essentially, the priest pours the Mysteries into our mouth - no touching.  Coffee hour (generally a big deal in EO churches) and Church school are cancelled.  Our parish live-streams its services so people are encouraged to utilize that.  We went to liturgy this morning with about 15 people for Memorial Saturday.  Lots of room to spread out.  They were cleaning down pews and icons when I left.  I would have stayed to help but my back was killing me.   My son and I don't plan to go to church tomorrow morning.  

I think my daughter's parish (ROCOR ) is considering cancelling.  Her FIL (the senior priest) is over 65 and not in good health.   Her parish usually has less than 50 people on a good day.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

Is anyone else surprised by people (absent someone immunocompromised in family) who say they have always done CV19 prevention/slowing level of cleaning?  

I am for sure doing way more now than before.  Doorknobs, deadbolt keys, light switches, stair rail... I’ve cleaned them before not to look or feel grungy, but not often, and never with disinfectant. At least not at home.  When I did work in a medical office I guess disinfectant level cleaning, autoclaving what could be autoclaved, etc was the norm.  But still not, I don’t think, at all for a novel, aerosol transmissible level illness—not even during early AIDS era. 

(I find myself thinking either people aren’t actually cleaning sufficiently for this virus, 🤔or if they always did clean in a way right for it, I would probably think of that amount of cleaning and hand washing to be OCD level, absent someone immunocompromised .  Just musing to myself.  🤔)

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Having 3 elderly people I’m worrying about, this is just crazy that we are even having to ask these questions 😭😭😭.  What in the world is happening?!?!  I had such a crappy past 2 years and I yelled out loud on New Year’s Eve that 2020 and the new decade were going to be awesome!  I was claiming it!!!  

Well...they very definitely aren’t awesome so far and it has just started 😭😭😭!!  This is all so surreal and my boys are now saying, “This is really happening, isn’t it?” 😩😩😩.  I’m staying calm and positive, but just 😩😩😩.

NBA basketball player LeBron James tweeted that we really need to cancel 2020. He may be right. It's not getting a good start!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ***** said:

I am behind on most of these posts because I was away in Hawaii. Just got back on Tuesday after being gone a week.  I think the US is totally missing the mark on all of this and is not doing enough to prevent the spread of this.  Yes, it is good that we are doing social distancing and closing schools, but the real truth of it is, we aren't doing enough at the airports, where so much can spread around the world so easily.   I went through  Seattle and Portland, and I never once saw anyone checking temperatures like they do in China.  A few people wore masks.  To me the planes smelled clean, I imagine they wiped trays down between flights (except I didn't smell cleaners leaving Hawaii).  Several people wore rubber gloves as I did and wiped down seat buckles, trays..but still, shouldn't we be doing more at the airports to look for ill people?!  

One guy in the last  seat of a flight wore a ski mask.  As I stood up to stretch my legs and contemplate using the bathroom, I could see his eyes. He looked bloodshot and miserable.  I wondered if he had been checked.  Needless to say, I did not venture past him to use the facilities.  How many times I wondered had he been there himself! Ugh!   

Did it occur to you that you were contributing to the potential spread of this by going to Hawaii and back to begin with?  Limiting spread begins with people changing their behavior. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

the UW has a large arboretum - they've closed it.  though dh and I did go to a small park that overlooks Puget sound on Monday.  kinda cold . .. . 

dd's coworker has a friend in Italy.  the Italian friend went for a bike ride- and got a 500 euro fine for being outdoors.

That is crazy about the bike ride. And we didn't go to the garden but to a waterfall hike about 3 miles from my house. Though there were wildflowers. And absolutely no one else.

20200314_125211.jpg

20200314_121009.jpg

20200314_114311.jpg

20200314_114147.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Some of up may be going through emotional processing in various personal ways.  Even if in similar ways we may be arriving at different stages on our own time frames.

To keep in mind:

The 5 stages of grief and loss are: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining ; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance.”

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/spain-counts-1-500-new-covid-19-cases-in-one-day-12538636

“MADRID: Spain confirmed more than 1,500 new cases of coronavirus between Friday (Mar 13) and Saturday (Mar 14) raising its total to 5,753 cases, the second-highest number in Europe after Italy. 

The country was expected to declare a state of emergency on Saturday to try to mobilise resources to combat the virus, which has so far killed 136 people in Spain.

Local media reported on Saturday the Spanish government is to put the country under lockdown as part of its state of emergency measures meant to combat the coronavirus.

The government will say all Spaniards must stay home except to buy food or drugs, go to the hospital, go to work or other emergencies, El Mundo reported.

The paper reports Spain's Interior Ministry will control all police forces, including local and regional ones, as part of the state of emergency.

The government said the Cabinet meeting that is due to decide on the measures was still ongoing. A news conference is expected around 1400 GMT.

On Friday said the government would adopt a series of extraordinary measures in order "to mobilise all the resources of state to better protect the health of all of its citizens".

The number of cases in Spain has increased tenfold since Sunday, and bars, restaurants and all sporting and cultural institutions have been closed.

The Madrid region, which is the country's worst-hit with nearly 3,000 cases, has ordered the closure of all non-essential businesses.

Spain recently shut down schools in several regions, suspended flights from Italy and closed the lower house of parliament for at least a week after a lawmaker tested positive for the coronavirus, in the hope of stemming a growing outbreak.

"We are working on avoiding the Italian scenario," Health Minister Salvador Illa told reporters. 

"With these measures we believe that we can avoid it. And if we have to take additional measures, we will take them."

I have relatives who live in Spain long term.  I should check in with them.  Last I heard was there was a lot of humor circulating.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

That is crazy about the bike ride. And we didn't go to the garden but to a waterfall hike about 3 miles from my house. Though there were wildflowers. And absolutely no one else.

20200314_125211.jpg

20200314_121009.jpg

20200314_114311.jpg

20200314_114147.jpg

Beautiful.  That is my plan for all of our free time.  Going on hikes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Did it occur to you that you were contributing to the potential spread of this by going to Hawaii and back to begin with?  Limiting spread begins with people changing their behavior. 

I've been slammed.  NM  I wouldn't have gone if I was sick.  It's tough to cancel when we would lose out on thousands spent for reservations to stay and flights. Boy, do I feel like the lowest person on earth now. Pleas remove my quote, that was unnecessary.  Thank you. 

• Like 3

Thatboyofmine, thank you!  I am generally a quiet person and was basically making an observation on what is being done at the airports themselves, which is very little in my opinion. I thought that was a very important point. Perhaps Trump should declare that all travel be restricted at this point, idk.  

The thought did occur to us to cancel, and remember this was 2 weeks ago, so the pandemic looked different then than it does now. I have a relative who is retired from the airlines, also in the health field.  Based on what she knew from staying in touch with others in the airlines, she felt it was still safe to travel, given I take precautions to wipe surfaces, wash hands, etc.  

The point was, for all we are doing to contain the virus at the local levels, I just felt that not enough was being done at a most important level, and that was at airports where ill people can travel from one country to another and across our own country with no one checking.  It just seems backwards to me. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Acadie said:

Hey everyone, this is important--

I've been thinking power and water would stay on.

My sister, who works in urban public water supply, just told me it is possible we might see "boil water" or "do not drink" orders in the future because they're beginning to see a shortage of disinfection chemicals available to public water suppliers. She is helping public water suppliers in her area form continuity of business plans and mutual aid agreements, with the outside possibility that some suppliers may need to shut down completely. Plan for the worst, hope for the best is how they are proceeding. 

Yikes.

I thought I was prepared, but I'm going to do a few more things in case we're on boil water or do not drink orders. She suggested two weeks of water stored at home. I really hate all the plastic associated with bottled water and don't have any in the house, but I think I'll do a combination of buying some bottled water, storing some tap water, and making sure we have a good filter and iodine tablets in the house. 

I'm interested in any input from boardies who know their way around treating water for drinking. 

Here's a link to a hiking source for treating totally dirty water.  There's three things I want to note, though.  1) Those who live at high altitude may have to boil the water longer.  And 2) dirty filters can grow bacteria.  We went through a phase at my last house where everyone was constantly sick with GI issues.  I'm pretty sure it was our filtering system that was contaminated because when I temporarily switched us all to bottled water that stopped.  So change the filters regularly, don't let them get behind!   3) Chlorine drops just mean plain unscented bleach.

https://americanhiking.org/resources/water-purification/

52 minutes ago, Pen said:

Is anyone else surprised by people (absent someone immunocompromised in family) who say they have always done CV19 prevention/slowing level of cleaning?  

I am for sure doing way more now than before.  Doorknobs, deadbolt keys, light switches, stair rail... I’ve cleaned them before not to look or feel grungy, but not often, and never with disinfectant. At least not at home.  When I did work in a medical office I guess disinfectant level cleaning, autoclaving what could be autoclaved, etc was the norm.  But still not, I don’t think, at all for a novel, aerosol transmissible level illness—not even during early AIDS era. 

(I find myself thinking either people aren’t actually cleaning sufficiently for this virus, 🤔or if they always did clean in a way right for it, I would probably think of that amount of cleaning and hand washing to be OCD level, absent someone immunocompromised .  Just musing to myself.  🤔)

I've always cleaned this way since I worked in nursing during a norovirus outbreak that killed some people.  I think it's habit more than OCD.  I'm pretty lax when we're camping because I figure we all have each other's germs anyway, it's germs from outside the family I am worried about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

If someone is skipped over and not intubated like in Italy, is there some kind of meds they can give so they do not suffer as much? 

I assume they will do what they did with my mom with ALS who was at end stage and couldn't breathe and was having great anxiety like is normal with having bad breathing issues- they gave her pain meds.   It calmed her down and helped her die without pain and without the terror too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, ***** said:

Thatboyofmine, thank you!  I am generally a quiet person and was basically making an observation on what is being done at the airports themselves, which is very little in my opinion. I thought that was a very important point. Perhaps Trump should declare that all travel be restricted at this point, idk.  

The thought did occur to us to cancel, and remember this was 2 weeks ago, so the pandemic looked different then than it does now. I have a relative who is retired from the airlines, also in the health field.  Based on what she knew from staying in touch with others in the airlines, she felt it was still safe to travel, given I take precautions to wipe surfaces, wash hands, etc.  

The point was, for all we are doing to contain the virus at the local levels, I just felt that not enough was being done at a most important level, and that was at airports where ill people can travel from one country to another and across our own country with no one checking.  It just seems backwards to me. Just my 2 cents. 

Yes it did.   Things have changed in our state so dramatically in the last 3 days.   We had one case at the start of the week.  Everything was fine.  Schools open, shows going on, stores full.  Universities closed, then k-12, and finally everything else.   Stores started being cleared out of supplies on Wed, and on Friday they were cleared out of food.   We now have 19 cases. 

I think we were still hearing a few weeks ago travel was fine.  I am not even sure if travel to Seattle or NYC was a no at that point.  

• Like 6

Just now, TravelingChris said:

I assume they will do what they did with my mom with ALS who was at end stage and couldn't breathe and was having great anxiety like is normal with having bad breathing issues- they gave her pain meds.   It calmed her down and helped her die without pain and without the terror too.

Yes this is the standard hospice treatment for breathing issues and anxiety.  It's common in COPD deaths too.  Whether they have the staff to give everyone who needs it morphine is another question. In the USA opiates have to be supervised - so it takes more than one nurse and more than one pharmacist to approve the medications.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I am worried about families where both parents are in health care or essential services like fire fighting.  I feel like I should offer to watch kids, but I also don't want to put my own family at risk.  

If no one in your family is high risk it would probably be fine.  If you know the family well but someone has moderate risk you could offer to let the kids stay with you for the duration.  That way parents can work double shifts, sleep a double shift, and not have to worry about the children at all.  They could facetime as needed.

• Like 2

Just now, Katy said:

If no one in your family is high risk it would probably be fine.  If you know the family well but someone has moderate risk you could offer to let the kids stay with you for the duration.  That way parents can work double shifts, sleep a double shift, and not have to worry about the children at all.  They could facetime as needed.

I have one kid with asthma, and I'm not sure about her risks.  I saw an immunologist recently about the fact that I catch so many viral infections, but he felt it wasn't a real deficiency since I a am around so many kids and while I catch infections easily, I generally recover without real problems.  We also are very involved with my in laws, who are in good health but elderly.  It feels like a risky call either way.  Neither family do I know super well; I've just taught kids from both of their families at different times.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

.  I know some people are still traveling right now. I will be traveling in May.  I don’t plan on cancelling.  Some people, for their own mental health, need their time off and vacations, like oxygen.   Dh is that way.  So come May, unless the vrbo cancels, we’ll be on vacation, too.  

My in-laws wanted to fly. However that would mean international flights, possibly quarantine on arrival here and quarantine back home. If they fall sick here, their govt would expect them to get themselves home since it’s non essential travel. Insurance for them isn’t going to cover medical expenses from non essential travel. Their airline told them to either cancel for free or travel at your own risk (as in don’t sue them if a passenger turns up positive). 

I would love a vacation now but I don’t want to be sick away from home even if it’s just a vacation within California. My friend’s kid is home from college for three weeks and she is so happy that her child is not seven hours drive away at college.

59 minutes ago, Pen said:

I have relatives who live in Spain long term.  I should check in with them.  Last I heard was there was a lot of humor circulating.  

yes - this is the graph for spain.    that works out to be something like 135 cases per million of population.  china was 56. (you can see that on the previous/home? page)

eta: just for comparison - when I last check, Italy was 292 cases per million of population.

Edited by gardenmom5

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I have one kid with asthma, and I'm not sure about her risks.  I saw an immunologist recently about the fact that I catch so many viral infections, but he felt it wasn't a real deficiency since I a am around so many kids and while I catch infections easily, I generally recover without real problems.  We also are very involved with my in laws, who are in good health but elderly.  It feels like a risky call either way.  Neither family do I know super well; I've just taught kids from both of their families at different times.  

How bad is the asthma?  Does she go to the emergency room multiple times a year, or does she just wheeze a bit when allergies are bad?  I've seen some conflicting advice about whether asthma is a risk factor or not.  I guess go with your mommy gut on that.

I would be more inclined to offer to keep them for the duration rather than have the kids in & out every day. But if you do that you'd better get contact information for other family members too; what happens if both parents die?

9 minutes ago, Plum said:

Starbucks needs to do this now. People hang out inside all day long. 

The email I received from Starbucks says they are going to do that, restrict to drive thru and mobile order pickup.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/03/13/starbucks-considers-going-drive-thru-only-during-coronavirus-pandemic/5045660002/

“Some Starbucks stores in the U.S. and Canada may become drive-thru only while others could limit the number of people allowed inside, the company said, one day after the World Health Organization declared the outbreak of coronavirus a pandemic.”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ***** said:

Felt slammed, NM.

I think different people are reaching different stages of awareness at different moments.

And it is hard to know what to do.  

And some people are also at anger stages of grief processing  right now I think.  I was a couple of days ago and am just starting to be past that. 

I hope that airplanes and airports will have more done since National State of Emergency declaration— but I expect not enough still.  

Im not sure who has jurisdiction over airplane and airport cleaning requirements.  

The airplane part is likely private without FAA rules on it ????

And I think most airports may be municipal ????  Like Port Authority of NY may have also been in charge of airports? I’m not sure.  

• Like 4

Just now, Katy said:

How bad is the asthma?  Does she go to the emergency room multiple times a year, or does she just wheeze a bit when allergies are bad?  I've seen some conflicting advice about whether asthma is a risk factor or not.  I guess go with your mommy gut on that.

I would be more inclined to offer to keep them for the duration rather than have the kids in & out every day. But if you do that you'd better get contact information for other family members too; what happens if both parents die?

I don't feel like her asthma is bad at all.  She's never been to the ER for it.  She's never had what I think of as a classic asthma attack.  Prior to diagnosis, she had a bunch of episodes of bronchitis and pneumonia and had a more or less chronic cough.  Even medicated, she's more prone to chest stuff than my other kid, but it's not at all terrible.  I agree that staying for the duration would probably be better.  Need to talk more with my husband before I offer.  He does tech stuff for the hospital, so he's pretty swamped, but my kids are 14 and 16.  Younger one is on the spectrum and older one has anxiety, so I can't really leave them unattended for days at a time either.  

Twitter

“CA is working to keep kids fed. 

Governor @GavinNewsom’s executive order provides that even if schools close because of #COVID19, school districts must safely provide school meals through the Summer Food Service Program & Seamless Summer Option.”

• Like 3

Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but France is closing all non-essential everythings. 

It is still so surreal I was just there two weeks ago. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

abc7news Facebook 

“Amid the coronavirus pandemic, Taco Bell's CEO said the fast-food chain is prepared to shut down its dining rooms and only offer drive-thru and delivery to stop the spread of COVID-19.”

Wondering if this will be the grocery shopping experience in the near future.

UK and Ireland just added to the travel ban........so no US flights.  I am sort of having a panic myself.  Friends in England are all pretty calm btw.......other than toilet paper.  

Since I know several on here have involvement with church leadership this is the article that I know some at my church were using to decide on our closure. Good to read, sort of all we have......https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2020/march-web-only/seattle-churches-stop-meeting-to-slow-covid-19-coronavirus.html

For those with Publix stores they are closing at 8pm from now on to do a deep store cleaning.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

If someone is skipped over and not intubated like in Italy, is there some kind of meds they can give so they do not suffer as much? 

Someone has probably answered this but yes there definitely is. Morphine, for instance, is good for treating air hunger.

• Like 1

Lewelma, I've been thinking of you and your son and hoping he has a smooth trip home.  You must be just beside yourself waiting for him.

Extensive new restrictions announced in Israel tonight.   All malls, restaurants, theaters, daycares, gyms, and hotels are closed. No gatherings of more than 10 people. It is unclear whether stores other than supermarkets and pharmacies are going to close yet, although it seems certain that we're headed that way within the next few days.  

Up to 193 cases in Israel and rising fast.  38 cases in the West Bank.  None in Gaza, thank goodness.  

I saw news reports of panic buying at supermarkets today.  I did a big shop on Thursday and we are pretty well stocked on staples, although I miss my big fridge and freezer back in the US.  

We stayed home for Shabbat and davened (prayed) together as a family instead of going to synagogue, then went out tonight when the kids' school opened for an hour to let the kids pick up their books.  The stress of being thousands of miles away from home during a major crisis is taking a toll, though.  it felt like everyone was taking turns melting down today,

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, square_25 said:

I don't think you should feel bad at all :-). It's really hard to change one's behavior when the circumstances are so extraordinary. DH just got back from a trip last week, frankly, and he probably shouldn't have gone, either. 

However, it's also food for thought for everyone else --- what totally normal activities are actually a bad idea, public health-wise right now? 

Yes.  The risk communications lady said something along the lines of, for all of you trying to figure out whether it’s really worth not going to crowded places etc - remember when people weren’t changing their funeral practices during the Ebola outbreak - it’s hard being human.

and another one saying us questioning the necessity is a good thing.  If we are at a point where we’re not questioning it anymore it’s probably too late.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been inside a store since last Saturday. Today I drove by a local grocery store and Wal-Mart. The parking lots look just a little busier than normal, but not much more. I'm picking up a grocery order tomorrow morning. Still anxiously awaiting news on school closures. 

21 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Can we please keep this thread focused as a news and medical study aggregator? We have had a lot of new posters to this thread in the last week and the tone has changed quite a bit. Maybe discussion and debate threads can happen elsewhere? 

I would like that too.  

A new thread for discussion and debate seems a good idea and to keep this one as news and information.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, I haven't seen a health official recommendation of zero contact at optimal for public health.

Maybe that's where the concept of not letting the perfect get in the way of good enough comes in.  

That's what the countries like Italy and Spain are doing, ordering people not to leave their homes except for certain circumstances.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Just reiterating what others have said--morphine can help with air hunger. I only have one experience, but getting a doctor to order it certainly wasn't a problem. I'd be concerned about shortages, though.

Here in NC today--Governor Cooper ordered all K-12 public schools to close for at least two weeks beginning Monday. He also banned gatherings of more than 100 people.