Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

14 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

@Arcadia Sprouts? seems to have a lot of food left! (I have been looking at pictures of empty TJ's shelves from the east coast and panicked and had a moment when I wanted to rush to the 24 hour safeway to stock up more food and then remembered that I have plenty already 😉

Nm. This was answered when I tried posting.

@Arcadia it looks like my local Albertson’s- I forget they’re Safeway’s up there.

Edited by Elfknitter.#
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lewelma said:

So, the rumors are that all of Boston will be in lockdown by Monday.  All students at MIT are trying to at least get out of the city, even if they can't get to their final destination for a couple of days. MIT is now giving each student $500 to get out, and will take care of storage so just leave your boxes in your room.  There is a LOT of stress on the campus.  Harvard had already said Sunday as move out date, so it is only MIT that is scrambling as they initially said Tuesday. The NZ/Australia contingent is sorted, most exiting tomorrow and 1 kid on Sunday midday.

When ds gets home, we will put him in self-isolation for 2 weeks. 

I have only been reading sporadic pages of this thread, so I missed that your son was being evicted.  I am so sorry.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Safeway 🙂 

Local produces come from Brentwood, Watsonville, Hollister, Gilroy, Monterey ... so I’m not too worried. Mushrooms were mostly sold out though which was unusual.

Thanks, it almost looks like we are living in normal times from your picture.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TrixieB said:

Seattle is closing all libraries, community centers, parks programs, pools tomorrow until at least April 13.  Sno-Isle library system (Snohomish & Island counties) is closing tomorrow also.

KCLS (for those not from here, it's one of the largest library systems in the country). is canceling all programs, events, and meeting room bookings through April 15.

it sounds like at least some individual libraries will still be open, some adjusted hours.

• Like 1

I think the shortages are really uneven. A friend snapped photos of the one and only Costco in DC. Lots of things totally cleaned out. She said rice, beans, and pasta were basically all gone. Another friend took a photo of the empty Trader Joe's that's closest to us and it was surreal. There were just like half a dozen boxes of frozen gluten free mac and cheese (good call on leaving those, panic buyers). Meanwhile, both the Target and the Giant within walking distance of my house still had things like bleach, tp, rice, beans, etc. all in stock as of midday. Now, they might have been gone by the end of the day. Rice, pasta, and bleach were all looking thin at my Giant when I grabbed a bit more stuff in a final trip. But mostly they looked normal. I'm not too worried about supplies overall. At least, not yet.

42 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

Some went home. Some died and cremated. 

Yes.  But in terms of new cases coming in there must be less than before because they are closing the temporary hospitals.  The bbc guy reckoned stuff could be happening in the provinces but unlikely to be widespread in Beijing or Shanghai at this point or the gov wouldn’t have the ability to prevent it from getting out.  That makes sense to me.  Doesn’t mean those numbers are accurate but when the entire country stays home for a month it seems like there would have to be a reduction.  I think there’s pretty good reason to be suspicious of the numbers from Iran and Egypt.  And of course US haven’t been testing.

• Like 1

Australia just announced a ban of any Unnecessary organised gatherings over 500.  No word on school closures except with diagnosed cases at this point.  Apparently we are running out of the testing reagent so testing is going to be limited to overseas travel and known case connections till that’s sorted.  

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

I didn't see it shared, but WaPo has a story about mass graves spotted via satellite in Iran that is downright chilling. They had evidence of a lot of burials for numbers far beyond the official death count. 

There is a million reasons to think their numbers are really wrong.  Literally everyone except the offical gov are saying they are much higher.  And yes that and other footage. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

Royal Easter Show cancelled - it's a big agricultural fun fair in the middle of Sydney - close to a million visitors over the week or so it runs.

Sydney Writer's Festival have stopped advertising and selling tickets, and may cancel.

Cricket one day internationals (mens) to be played in empty stadiums. 

PM still going to the footy on Sunday (definintely more than 500, non-essential!) 'because the ban doesn't come in till Monday'. Gah.

Fringe is going ahead this weekend as per usual as well.

• Confused 1

DH and I just got back from our 24 hour Walmart.  We left the house at 12:15 am and got back around 1:30.  DH was shocked by the empty shelves as he hasn’t gone to the store since 2 weekends ago when we stocked up at Costco.  The fam doesn’t think I’m so crazy anymore 😁. Anyway, lots of empty shleves.  We didn’t need much, but wanted to get a last run for fresh fruit and veggies and milk/coffee creamer.  Wasn’t able to get flour or my laundry detergent.  We don't usually buy fresh meat there, but they didn’t have much left anyway.  No TP.   Had plenty of dairy items.

What I didn't like was they had 3 casheirs open with lines in each.  None of their self checkouts were open, which is what we wanted to use.

Will probably be using Instacart for awhile now with drop at the door delivery.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, calbear said:

With all the school closures, there are a lot of moms coming out of the woodwork asking for tips and tricks from homeschoolers.

Around here, they seem to want to know how they are going to get their kids together to play while school is out 🙄.

• Confused 2

53 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I suppose it's hard to cancel with no notice, but really, why would it be OK today but not Monday?

Because they know it’s going to escalate.  They know you “can’t” cancel things forever or people go stir crazy.  So you have to time measures for the critical point.

Im still curious to know what would happen if we really kicked it up a notch much earlier.  But unfortunately I think the economy still takes precedence over human life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, square_25 said:

Hmmmmm. I'm very curious how this is going to work for them. It sounds like they are doing very minimal amounts. What exactly is the plan here? 

I'm interested in the decision not to close schools because in practical terms it's worse to send children home to be looked after by grandparents. The government's advice for schools is actually very detailed

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm interested in the decision not to close schools because in practical terms it's worse to send children home to be looked after by grandparents. The government's advice for schools is actually very detailed

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19/guidance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19

Same line from our SA Health minister but I thought it was actually code for - if we close schools when there’s only 12 cases in the state there will be outrage.  We need a more significant threat before we take that step.  

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Same line from our SA Health minister but I thought it was actually code for - if we close schools when there’s only 12 cases in the state there will be outrage.  We need a more significant threat before we take that step.  

I'm hoping that it's a data led decision. It feels right emotionally to close schools, but will it actually help?

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm hoping that it's a data led decision. It feels right emotionally to close schools, but will it actually help?

I suspect it will slow down transmission.  My kids got a lot more sickness when their friends started going to school.  I have a friend with a kid with autism who touches everything.  He tends to stay well in the holidays but get sick during the term.  When we did tae Kwon do in a school they kept picking stuff up. 

I think it relates to the number of adults monitoring germ spreading behaviours, the number of hours spent in doors and the amount of time cleaners actually get for cleaning.  I do think it’s too soon here, though.

theres also a difference between a situation like Italy where school is cancelled and everyone is staying home and one where school is cancelled but kids are still out hanging out together at gyms, pools and other germ spreading places. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hshibley said:

Is the airport closing international flights or all flights?

The rumor is that Boston will be quarantined as a city on Monday, which includes closing down the airport to ALL travel.  The MIT students are assuming the rumor is true and are all getting out of Boston ASAP -- most are not waiting for Sunday and have tried to get out Friday.  We are waking up at 4am to make sure ds is up so he can catch his flight.  We moved his flight forward 3 days about 5 hours ago, he has packed his room in the past 3 hours, and is ready for bed.  There are parents still on the phone with the airlines trying to change the flights.  Desperate times. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

I was thinking about this very issue as I was considering what to write to my state Governor

theres also a difference between a situation like Italy where school is cancelled and everyone is staying home and one where school is cancelled but kids are still out hanging out together at gyms, pools and other germ spreading places. 

I think it would help to make it in conjunction with a groups down to 50

and now that our state has closed schools , also that’s a reason for online school or some form of school at home to be supposed to happen instead of being at school 

sigh

school closed news news woke me up and now I can’t get back to sleep 😴 

15 minutes ago, lewelma said:

The rumor is that Boston will be quarantined as a city on Monday, which includes closing down the airport to ALL travel.  The MIT students are assuming the rumor is true and are all getting out of Boston ASAP -- most are not waiting for Sunday and have tried to get out Friday.  We are waking up at 4am to make sure ds is up so he can catch his flight.  We moved his flight forward 3 days about 5 hours ago, he has packed his room in the past 3 hours, and is ready for bed.  There are parents still on the phone with the airlines trying to change the flights.  Desperate times. 

Snd just a few months ago he was learning how to recognize American money.

Now he’s dealing with being caught abroad in worst pandemic in 100 years. 

Guess maybe we understand more about fleeing areas prior to wuarantines and it makes more sense why...

just hope not too much transmission will occur far and wide

Edited by Pen
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Our state, which has closed schools in 3 counties for six weeks were having significant issues with staffing. Lots of staff out sick. Lots  of substitutes sick and unavailable. High rates of student absences as well. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

And just a few months ago he was learning how to recognize American money.

Yup.  Holding a bunch of coins, asking 'what is a nickel?  Why don't they put the actual number of cents on the coin?  Why is a dime smaller than a nickel?"

just hope not too much transmission will occur far and wide

Huge thread on the parents facebook page about quarantine of the students running from Boston.  We are being very careful.  I will NOT host the patient zero for Wellington out of my home!

Also, still no confirmed cases at MIT. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StellaM said:

It will help me not get sick! Sadly, data points of one don't matter in a crisis, which makes sense, but also is really scary when you're the data point.

Absolutely.  I'm glad I'm not the person trying to make policy to balance the general good against the particular need.  The other concern, apparently, is just how long you can lock a democratic country down for before fatigue sets in and people start to disobey even the most basic instructions.  I don't know enough behavioural science to understand the ins and outs of that.

• Like 5

I’m nervous to go check out the grocery store today, but it felt too soon earlier in the week to get corned beef and cabbage! (It’s hard to store 2 cabbages in a tiny kitchen, lol.). So far, I haven’t seen major shortages in person anywhere except for the near-universal stuff (but plenty of tp), but I don’t know what it’s like today.

Dh has to go out of state for the day, and neither of us is comfortable with it. He won’t have many contacts and will have plenty of disinfectant stuffs, but everything is moving so fast. The majority owners of his company have gotten very worried about all of this, so I shouldn’t have to worry about him needing to go anywhere else for a while.

7 more days till court. Adjustments are being made at the state level, which makes me nervous about county level over the next week.

Dd’s spring break from cc is extended another week. I hope they go online because she’s doing so well.  Other dd’s EMT class as been told they’ll be informed of any changes It’s a tiny class in a non-public building, so it’s low risk in that way, but low risk is still risk.  She’s also doing extremely well, but practicals can’t be done online!

Our Broadway tickets are insured, so at least there’s that.

Our co-op is closed. Dd’s graduation is supposed to be in 2 months.

Took the kids for a hike yesterday. Didn’t really want to, but I knew I needed it, and it did me good. We’re in an area where there’s *plenty* of good, deserted hiking, so I hope we can hang on to that.

Local school district still saying nothing about their capabilities if they close. They have stopped allowing other organizations to use the buildings after school.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I am so worried about hospital overwhelm.

I seriously feel like the kids' dad should update his will. If he gets sick (likely), severely (likely),especially during the peak, he is not going to make it to the head of the queue for treatment. They'll take one look at 'advanced kidney disease' and send him home in favour of treating someone more likely to respond. 

If I'm nursing him, I don't like my chances. I feel like I should talk to dd's about what would happen in the worst case scenario and one of them had to take ds in. 

Is that just too catastrophic? Or should I listen to my gut and just do it?

Ugh. My doctor's appt can't come soon enough. I really need his advice.

I would probably try to come up with a realistic strategy for what would happen and address it with her as “this is unlikely to happen but if it does here’s what you need to know”.  If she’s in nursing or care she probably knows the reality of the potential worst case scenarios which probably won’t happen.  She will probably feel calmer knowing you’ve thought about it and there’s a plan in place.  
big proviso is you obviously known your own kid better than me so listen to your gut over any advice from here

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Meant to add, I had to push really hard to try to convince my mother to place a grocery pick up order today instead of browsing through multiple stores like she planned. I don’t know if it worked, but she sounded like she was at least considering it. @@

My one hesitation with switching online at this stage for myself is that I’m concerned if stores start running low they wont substitute with a similar item.  Like if I can’t get weet bix I’m going to buy some oats at least whereas they will probably just send nothing.

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My one hesitation with switching online at this stage for myself is that I’m concerned if stores start running low they wont substitute with a similar item.  Like if I can’t get weet bix I’m going to buy some oats at least whereas they will probably just send nothing.

Just was posting as you were writing about my experience this Monday.  It was the only bad experience I have had.

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have no idea how things work where she lives or what the state of the stores are there. My WM pick up is always good about bringing subs out with my order, though they definitely don’t always get what I would pick.  My regular grocery store allows us to put in detailed notes on our order, and then they call us personally to see if we’re okay with each potential sub.  Of course, if they’re too overwhelmed, that could become an issue.
But still better than my almost 67yo mother meandering through half a dozen crowded places. 🤢 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

It's the kind of convo you want to have in person, but I don't want to get the train up there. I've already told dd2 that we won't be able to visit Melbourne at Easter as planned.

Yes, I think approaching it that way is best.

As the unlikely but possible scenario, with the contingency plans thought through and agreed upon ahead so that doesn't become her burden to do so. 

Ahh yes I understand.  I forgot she wasn’t at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

I am so worried about hospital overwhelm.

I seriously feel like the kids' dad should update his will. If he gets sick (likely), severely (likely),especially during the peak, he is not going to make it to the head of the queue for treatment. They'll take one look at 'advanced kidney disease' and send him home in favour of treating someone more likely to respond. 

If I'm nursing him, I don't like my chances. I feel like I should talk to dd's about what would happen in the worst case scenario and one of them had to take ds in. 

Is that just too catastrophic? Or should I listen to my gut and just do it?

Ugh. My doctor's appt can't come soon enough. I really need his advice.

It was a total coincidence (I think?), but a few weeks ago DH and I started doing the paperwork on all our retirement accounts to add the boys on as secondary co- beneficiaries. We're still the primary beneficiary on each other's accounts, of course, but we added the boys as secondary co-beneficiaries. Now I'm wondering if it was an omen. But our situation is of course different from yours. Both of ours are young adults. DS21 is on the spectrum but is very able to care for himself, manage money, etc. He just needs nudges now and then when he gets frozen with decision making.

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

I think instacart is overwhelmed.  I placed an order on Monday and I got two items I didn't order and some item substitutions I didn't want.  The shopper did not text me as the other shoppers did before buying.  

I've been kind of stunned that so many people seem to have assumed that grocery delivery would remain available to them. I doubt the ability/willingness of employees to deliver as much as I doubt supply chains.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It was a total coincidence (I think?), but a few weeks ago DH and I started doing the paperwork on all our retirement accounts to add the boys on as secondary co- beneficiaries. We're still the primary beneficiary on each other's accounts, of course, but we added the boys as secondary co-beneficiaries. Now I'm wondering if it was an omen. But our situation is of course different from yours. Both of ours are young adults. DS21 is on the spectrum but is very able to care for himself, manage money, etc. He just needs nudges now and then when he gets frozen with decision making.

I've been kind of stunned that so many people seem to have assumed that grocery delivery would remain available to them. I doubt the ability/willingness of employees to deliver as much as I doubt supply chains.

This was a big part of the response in China. But I guess it can be delivery without contact.  Just place the boxes and keep driving.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pen said:

My son let me know that Oregon Governor Kate Brown has ordered Oregon schools closed for next (?) 2 weeks. 

Starting Monday.

Not tomorrow.

@prairiewindmomma, @Ali in OR At other Oregonians 

https://www.opb.org/news/article/kate-brown-orders-oregon-schools-to-close-coronavirus/

“Gov. Kate Brown has announced that all K-12 public schools in the state of Oregon will be closed Monday through the end of March.

The school closure announcement comes on the heels of Brown’s decision to ban public gatherings of more than 250 people for four weeks.

Brown said she heard from superintendents, teachers, parents and school board members who said they were struggling to operate in the wake of staff shortages and student absences. The governor said a lot of concern was also voiced for teachers over the age of 60 with underlying medical issues.

“I want to be very clear: sending Oregon children home will not stop the spread of the coronavirus,” Brown said in a statement. “While children are home, when at all possible, they should not be in the care of older adults or those with underlying health issues that are most at-risk from COVID-19.”

During the closure, Brown is calling on school districts to develop plans to operate schools when students return on Wednesday, April 1. School districts should also use the time to ensure they have adequate cleaning supplies for increased cleaning protocols, the governor’s release stated.

The state will track the impact the closures could have on instructional time. And the Early Learning Division will work to identify ways to support child care needs for the state’s most vulnerable families, as well as health care professionals and first responders, the governor stated.”

23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This was a big part of the response in China. But I guess it can be delivery without contact.  Just place the boxes and keep driving.

Sure. But I'm guessing the delivery people in China had no real choice in whether or not they continued to work. Not so here.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Well, there isn’t that much data, but I thought that the places that closed everything were doing better than the ones that didn’t.

I am also not seeing any consistency here. They trust people to stay home if sick, but not to keep their kids home? Why would the kids play together more when there’s a lockdown if instructed not to? 

The bit about large gatherings didn’t really make sense, either. I thought the issue with large gatherings is that one person could quickly infect many others. It’s true that small gatherings also allow people to infect others, but slower.

And they won’t test much now, so people won’t know if it’s actually essential to self-isolate.

Anyway, color me skeptical. But I’m interested to see what happens.

I think personally they are going to go for firmer measures but they need to break it gradually to give people to process it.

Lots of criticism from this guy 

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coronavirus-expert-bowtell-slams-governments-plan-to-stop-mass-gatherings/289613bf-0a4f-434a-9f78-dae647c03c06

• Like 3

Lots of limits on how many groceries you can buy now.  2 packs of pasta, paper towels, flour, rice and hand sanitiser.  1 for toilet paper.  
I can see this being really difficult for people with big families.  May mean more trips to the store which is kind of counter productive 

• Sad 2