Menu

I'm glad our coach made the decision not to go to the large event today. Just before it was supposed to start, the sanctioning organization halted all events for the rest of the month and the event was cancelled. We would've travelled for 2 hours and other people, coming from other states, had already arrived at the venue. Almost everything else we were scheduled to do in the next two weeks has been cancelled except for an event ds has tomorrow. That event has already started, is outdoors, and there's not a lot of close contact. I should probably get off the computer and use this time to get to all those projects I'm always putting off!

ETA: My church has about 1,000 people on a regular Sunday in three services. They are going to Facebook Live services for now.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 5
  • Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• prairiewindmomma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

DS has very little hand sanitizer left.  Any suggestions for alternatives for when he flies for 23 hours? Maybe a soapy washcloth in a plastic bag?

Legit quarantine going on directly across the street from me. College student, removed from campus to a college-owned house. Dining services is dropping off food at the door. I don’t know the girl. Is there anything I could do to help her out? 

Drop off some feminine products.  Maybe she doesn't need them, but any female could be any place in her cycle if she needs quarantine and that means not being able to hit the store for a very needed product.  Dropping some at the door anonymously and unseen would save embarrassment and if she doesn't need them during quarantine she can still use them later.  

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“SAY WHAT?! Sources at UPS say that drivers are now being required to get signatures from customers for TOILET PAPER deliveries -- because San Franciscans are stealing boxes of it from their neighbors. 😒 Get the latest on the #coronavirus here: https://abc7ne.ws/2IGPomD ”

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

“SAY WHAT?! Sources at UPS say that drivers are now being required to get signatures from customers for TOILET PAPER deliveries -- because San Franciscans are stealing boxes of it from their neighbors. 😒 Get the latest on the #coronavirus here: https://abc7ne.ws/2IGPomD ”

I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh. Things are crazy when 1)People are getting toilet paper deliveries and, 2) their neighbors are stealing it.

• Haha 2

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/france-closes-schools-coronavirus-covid19-elderly-stay-home-12533674

“PARIS: President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday (Mar 12) announced schools in France would close indefinitely to curb the spread of the coronavirus, and urged people over 70 and the infirm to stay home.

In an address to the nation on the fight against COVID-19, which has already killed 61 people and infected almost 2,900 in France, Macron made clear it can no longer be business as usual.

Daycare centres, schools and universities would close from Monday "until further notice", he said, describing the novel coronavirus as France's most serious health crisis in a century.

But the president also announced that nationwide local elections scheduled for Sunday will not be postponed.”

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Just washing his hands? That works better, anyway. But I know that's hard to do enough. 

That being said, his flight may be EMPTY. People aren't flying much...

I'm not convinced his AirNZ flight is empty, some seats left but my flight agent said not many.  

I'm thinking more about not touching door nobs.  If you need to eat, go to the bathroom on an airplane to wash your hands, you would be touching a lot of stuff. You get back to your seat and use some hand sanitizer.  Trying to think what else you could do.  Perhaps gloves? Maybe winter gloves if he can't find disposable.  I also suggested he ask some friends who aren't travelling far, if he can have their hand sanitizer, but he is not so keen to ask.

@Laura Corin

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-boris-johnson-britain-covid19-loved-ones-die-12529122
“LONDON: Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned on Thursday (Mar 12) that many more families would see their loved ones die from coronavirus, as the government's chief scientific adviser said Britain likely has as many as 10,000 people infected.

Britain and the EU also agreed to cancel face-to-face trade negotiations planned for next week in London due to the outbreak.

At a meeting of the government's emergency committee on Thursday, Johnson moved Britain's response to the outbreak to the so-called "delay phase", aimed at putting off the peak until the summer months, ending a phase of outright containment.

"It's going to spread further," Johnson said at a news conference, flanked by the government's top scientific and medical advisers.

"I must level with you, level with the British public - more families, many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time."”

The local college finally decided to cancel classes. Public school is still planning to go back on Monday, even though there are families out on cruises right now.  They're like "We're cleaning the school really well this week, so don't worry, it's safe!" Fantastic! No one has been there for a week, so yeah, I expect it's pretty germ free at this point. Good luck next week and the week after.

The library is still blissfully ignoring the whole thing and encouraging everyone to come out for fun.    

I finally convinced my dad to cancel his flight to DC, and my sister's choir mercifully decided to cancel their concert this weekend.  Dad is still insisting he'll be able to fly for my cousin's baby shower in late April/Early May. Don't think so, dude. 

My other sister is a dean of a medical school.  She says it's a total $hitshow there right now. First and second year students are being sent home, third and fourth year students are being prepped to assist in hospitals. She's got a lot of really freaked out med students. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

“Honestly I feel like it's a test to see what freedoms we are willing to give up, and this has shown that if a real pandemic occurs we will have no freedoms left, and the people will let them go willingly.   The media is hyping this up in a way I have never seen before”

this was a Facebook post on that group.  Now I really feel cranky.  Um no!  If we do the right thing no one gives up any freedoms.  If we don’t then we are going to need more forcible measures to stop people dying.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I'm not convinced his AirNZ flight is empty, some seats left but my flight agent said not many.  

I'm thinking more about not touching door nobs.  If you need to eat, go to the bathroom on an airplane to wash your hands, you would be touching a lot of stuff. You get back to your seat and use some hand sanitizer.  Trying to think what else you could do.  Perhaps gloves? Maybe winter gloves if he can't find disposable.  I also suggested he ask some friends who aren't travelling far, if he can have their hand sanitizer, but he is not so keen to ask.

Airlines are canceling and consolidating flights so his might be a full flight. 
Tell him to buy wipes, if he can’t find the common travel/packable wipes (e.g.https://www.target.com/p/hand-and-face-wipes-25ct-up-38-up-8482/-/A-16824024.) , buy a pack of baby wipes (e.g. https://www.target.com/p/seventh-generation-baby-wipes-travel-pack-with-flip-top-dispenser-free-38-clear-30ct/-/A-53356493) from the baby aisle. Whatever is good enough for babies is definitely okay for adults. 

• Like 2

Sorry if already posted

University of Alabama and UABirmingham will extended spring break starting Monday and will transition to online classes. UAHuntsville will transition to online on Mar 16. Today is first time that I have seen empty shelves in the local grocery stores. Meat, flour, sanitizer, toilet paper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DS's uni is closing dorms and sending everyone home, all classes will be online for the rest of the semester. This is one of those times when it sucks even more than usual to attend a school 2500 miles from home. Looks like DS and I will be leaving on a 4-day road trip sometime this weekend. 😟

• Sad 4
24 minutes ago, lewelma said:

DS has very little hand sanitizer left.  Any suggestions for alternatives for when he flies for 23 hours? Maybe a soapy washcloth in a plastic bag?

People are stealing hand soap and sanitizer and toilet paper out of public restrooms here.  I would suggest he pack a bar of soap and a wash cloth if possible, along with a bit of toilet paper.

• Thanks 1
Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

People are stealing hand soap and sanitizer and toilet paper out of public restrooms here.  I would suggest he pack a bar of soap and a wash cloth if possible, along with a bit of toilet paper.

Wow!  Hadn't thought of that.  I will tell him!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Airlines are canceling and consolidating flights so his might be a full flight. 
Tell him to buy wipes, if he can’t find the common travel/packable wipes (e.g.https://www.target.com/p/hand-and-face-wipes-25ct-up-38-up-8482/-/A-16824024.) , buy a pack of baby wipes (e.g. https://www.target.com/p/seventh-generation-baby-wipes-travel-pack-with-flip-top-dispenser-free-38-clear-30ct/-/A-53356493) from the baby aisle. Whatever is good enough for babies is definitely okay for adults. 

Another good idea. I think he has some wipes. I assume that it would be friction with a wipe that removes virus, rather than a chemical kill. Wipes don't have alcohol in them, do they?

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I carry tiny packs of tissues so that I can use tissues to open doors when necessary.  It might be an option if disposable gloves can't be sourced.

Good thinking. if the TP is being stolen out of restrooms, there may be no paper towels either for opening doors, which is what I think he usually uses. 

There are wipes sold here with alcohol in them (also witch hazel versions), but they typically do not contain enough alcohol to be effective for killing coronavirus. I think the Purell wipes are 62% alcohol, but they are nearly impossible to find right now. Wet Ones antibacterial wipes (a popular US brand) are .3% Benzethonium Chloride.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lewelma said:

Yes, he is at MIT and has been told to leave by Tuesday.  Thanks for the offer!  Actually, 2 other boardies in Boston have also been in touch too.

I big puffy ❤️ this online network. It is full of big, generous, compassionate hearts. 

Hope all y’all’s chicks make it back to the home nest soon, or find safe alternate accommodations. 

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Legit quarantine going on directly across the street from me. College student, removed from campus to a college-owned house. Dining services is dropping off food at the door. I don’t know the girl. Is there anything I could do to help her out? 

36 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Drop off some feminine products.  Maybe she doesn't need them, but any female could be any place in her cycle if she needs quarantine and that means not being able to hit the store for a very needed product.  Dropping some at the door anonymously and unseen would save embarrassment and if she doesn't need them during quarantine she can still use them later.  

I love this idea! Thank you! 

7 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Another good idea. I think he has some wipes. I assume that it would be friction with a wipe that removes virus, rather than a chemical kill. Wipes don't have alcohol in them, do they?

Alternatively a Leak proof box with chux cloths and whatever solution actually kills it.  Obviously flying means you can’t take much liquid but if you do it right you can make them with the same dampness like baby wipes.  

APSU movesd all classes to online and asked those who can go home to go home. Limited support for students who can’t. (As in dining halls, etc) no university sponsored events to take place, athletics will take place without fans. 

sec tourney in Nashville shut down. No fans allowed anyway.

My county schools are taking a day or two to santize classrooms. Spring break is next week so that’ll be like 10 days with no kids in classrooms. They’ll reevaluate things at the end of spring break.

Just now, lewelma said:

They do. Some are soaking wet.

e.g. https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-instant-hand-sanitizing-wipes-24ct-prodid-1020422

“Active Ingredient: Alcohol (65.9% By Volume). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Carbomer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate.”

• Like 2

ABC: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has tested positive for coronavirus

The manager of Arsenal, one of the richest and biggest football clubs in England and Europe, has tested positive for coronavirus.
Mikel Arteta, 37, and Arsenal's entire first team squad will now be isolated. Arsenal's London training base will be closed.

Keep in mind less than an hour ago, the Premier League announced all this weekend's games will go ahead without interruption and crowds will still be permitted.

UPDATE: The Premier League has announced it will hold an emergency meetings with all clubs tomorrow, in the wake of the Arteta diagnosis, to discuss future fixtures.

• Like 1

Adelaide submarine maintenance facility ASC has closed part of its operations after one of its workers tested positive for coronavirus. It is unclear if this person is one of the 12 already confirmed cases in SA.
in my state.  I think there’s a pretty significant French connection there so probably not surprising 

Breaking: Virgin Australia staff member tests positive for coronavirus

Virgin Australia has confirmed a staff member has tested positive to coronavirus.

In a statement, the airline says the person is in isolation and recieving the appropriate medical treatment.

A spokeswoman has told the ABC the person had contact with the public in their role, but won't reveal their position with the company or location for privacy reasons.

In a statement, the airline says health authorities have begun tracing anyone the person was in contact with, while infectious.

• Sad 1

https://abc7news.com/health/live-coronavirus-updates-disneyland-california-adventure-to-temporarily-shut-down-/5906450/
“21 new cases of COVID-19 in CA, bringing total to 198, Newsom says
Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday morning that there are 198 cases of COVID-19 in the state of California, which amounts to a 10% increase from Wednesday. There have been four deaths so far. Newsom also said 8,227 testing kits are available, and 1,573 tests were conducted in California. The governor added that Quest Diagnostics is conducting 1,200 tests a day.

Newsom says guidance on limiting large gatherings may extend beyond March
California Governor Gavin Newsom also said Thursday that guidance on limiting large gatherings is likely to extend beyond March and will affect pro baseball games.”

Things have really blown up in Georgia today. Tons of closings. Schools all around Atlanta are closing. Our local school district is closing (info not in the link below), and we're not even part of metro Atlanta.

https://www.ajc.com/news/latest-atlanta-coronavirus-news-what-next-for-hawks-after-nba-season-suspended/iUCSnaFbaphfSaA2rmUfEL/

I have to admit to feeling slightly vindicated for making everyone sit out of events that are now cancelled.

But I am concerned about single parents and those who cannot take off work. I don't want to get too political, but I'm really feeling the need for an emergency UBI to be implemented ASAP. I think that would go a long ways to helping in this situation.

ETA: Our county has NO confirmed cases.

Edited by Aura
  • Like 4

Crosspost 😒

https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/inslee-orders-all-private-public-k-12-schools-in-king-pierce-snohomish-counties-to-close-through-april-24/

“Across the three counties, nearly 563,600 attend public or charter schools. Roughly 216,700 of them qualify for subsidized meals, leaving many of the 43 school districts there scrambling to plan for feeding children during an extended closure.

Students with disabilities and children experiencing homelessness also are likely to bear the brunt of long periods without schools open. For many students who don’t have stable housing arrangements, school can be the one constant in their lives.

Inslee acknowledged that the mandated closures would prove a burden for many families, especially those trying to find and afford child care. He has asked superintendents to provide child care at no cost for families that work in the medical field or first responders.”

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I called my parents (early 80's) a couple of days ago and gave them an earful.  My dad had plans to go to a yearly conference in Baltimore (we're in MA) with a bunch of other old guys this weekend.  Noooooo!  He was being stubborn, but miraculously I talked him out of it. Mom had been trying to dissuade him, but he was resisting. Mom's also cancelled her ballet plans with the ladies, and I think her other plans are being cancelled for her (like mine - I had something I'd been looking forward to that would have been a small gathering, that I figured I'd count as my last hurrah before hibernating - but it was cancelled anyway...).  Fortunately my mom has freezers full of food, so hopefully they can hang tight.  Mom whined 'what about fresh fruit?' and I reminded her that she had half a peach tree's worth of peaches in one of her freezers... (they actually have a peach tree, and it had a bumper crop year before last... think there are still some in my freezer too...)

@Pen@Ausmumof3

https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/devices/big-data-helps-taiwan-fight-coronavirus

“Big Data Helps Taiwan Fight Coronavirus

... Taiwan officials from the beginning of the viral outbreak “did a very detailed mapping of who got it from whom,” and were able to stop a lot of transmission early, says Chih-Hung Jason Wang, director of the Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention at Stanford University, who co-authored the opinion article.

Notably, officials integrated Taiwan’s national health insurance database with its immigration and customs database. This enabled the government to track the 14-day travel histories and symptoms of its citizens, nearly all of whom have an identifying national health insurance (NHI) card. All hospitals, clinics and pharmacies were given access to this information for each patient.

Taiwan restricted entry for foreign travelers from the most affected regions, and for those allowed entry, officials tracked them with mobile technologies. Foreign visitors are asked to scan a QR code that takes them to an online health declaration form where they provide contact information and symptoms. People placed under quarantine are given government-issued mobile phones and monitored with calls and visits.

“They incentivized people to be truthful” on their health declaration forms, says Wang. “If you are placed in the high risk group, the government will help you get care. If you get sick by yourself, you’ll have to wander around the hospital trying to get help.”

Taiwan also relied on old-fashioned face-to-face check-ins. Households were grouped into wards, or sections, and a chief was named for each ward. “So [authorities] will say to the chief, ‘There’s a person under quarantine in your ward, why don’t you go check on them and bring them some food,’” says Wang. “In an epidemic, you have to be nice to people, otherwise they’ll hide their symptoms.”

To manage resources, Taiwanese officials used IT to estimate the region’s supply of masks, negative pressure isolation rooms, and other health provisions. They set price limits on masks and rationed them using individuals’ NHI cards and an online ordering mechanism. Soldiers were sent to work at mask factories to ramp up production.

... Penalties for noncompliance with the temporary orders are steep. Profiteering off prevention products like masks, or spreading false information about COVID-19 can bring a penalty of years in jail and fines over a hundred thousand US dollars. One couple was fined USD $10,000 for breaking a 14-day quarantine rule. Three Hong Kong visitors who “disappeared for a week” were tracked down, fined USD $2,350 each, and transferred to designated quarters for medical isolation, according to the JAMA report.

Taiwan’s heavy-handed government actions might not go over well in a country such as the United States. But Wang says the measures, so far, have been well received in Taiwan, in part because they were planned ahead and implemented on a temporary basis.

He and his coauthors write that it is unclear “whether the intensive nature of these policies can be maintained until the end of the epidemic and continue to be well-received by the public.”

Taiwan’s emergency measures have probably not halted community-based transmission of COVID-19. Like the rest of the world, the number of officially confirmed cases in Taiwan is likely far fewer than the true number on the ground, since there are people who have the disease and don’t know it, or have such mild symptoms that they don’t seek care or get tested. “It’s impossible not to have more cases,” says Wang.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen@Ausmumof3

https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/devices/big-data-helps-taiwan-fight-coronavirus

“Big Data Helps Taiwan Fight Coronavirus

... Taiwan officials from the beginning of the viral outbreak “did a very detailed mapping of who got it from whom,” and were able to stop a lot of transmission early, says Chih-Hung Jason Wang, director of the Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention at Stanford University, who co-authored the opinion article.

Notably, officials integrated Taiwan’s national health insurance database with its immigration and customs database. This enabled the government to track the 14-day travel histories and symptoms of its citizens, nearly all of whom have an identifying national health insurance (NHI) card. All hospitals, clinics and pharmacies were given access to this information for each patient.

Taiwan restricted entry for foreign travelers from the most affected regions, and for those allowed entry, officials tracked them with mobile technologies. Foreign visitors are asked to scan a QR code that takes them to an online health declaration form where they provide contact information and symptoms. People placed under quarantine are given government-issued mobile phones and monitored with calls and visits.

“They incentivized people to be truthful” on their health declaration forms, says Wang. “If you are placed in the high risk group, the government will help you get care. If you get sick by yourself, you’ll have to wander around the hospital trying to get help.”

Taiwan also relied on old-fashioned face-to-face check-ins. Households were grouped into wards, or sections, and a chief was named for each ward. “So [authorities] will say to the chief, ‘There’s a person under quarantine in your ward, why don’t you go check on them and bring them some food,’” says Wang. “In an epidemic, you have to be nice to people, otherwise they’ll hide their symptoms.”

To manage resources, Taiwanese officials used IT to estimate the region’s supply of masks, negative pressure isolation rooms, and other health provisions. They set price limits on masks and rationed them using individuals’ NHI cards and an online ordering mechanism. Soldiers were sent to work at mask factories to ramp up production.

... Penalties for noncompliance with the temporary orders are steep. Profiteering off prevention products like masks, or spreading false information about COVID-19 can bring a penalty of years in jail and fines over a hundred thousand US dollars. One couple was fined USD $10,000 for breaking a 14-day quarantine rule. Three Hong Kong visitors who “disappeared for a week” were tracked down, fined USD $2,350 each, and transferred to designated quarters for medical isolation, according to the JAMA report.

Taiwan’s heavy-handed government actions might not go over well in a country such as the United States. But Wang says the measures, so far, have been well received in Taiwan, in part because they were planned ahead and implemented on a temporary basis.

He and his coauthors write that it is unclear “whether the intensive nature of these policies can be maintained until the end of the epidemic and continue to be well-received by the public.”

Taiwan’s emergency measures have probably not halted community-based transmission of COVID-19. Like the rest of the world, the number of officially confirmed cases in Taiwan is likely far fewer than the true number on the ground, since there are people who have the disease and don’t know it, or have such mild symptoms that they don’t seek care or get tested. “It’s impossible not to have more cases,” says Wang.”

Thanks.  I can’t like your post because I’m out of likes.  It’s really interesting to see the different ways it’s been handled.  South Korea seem to have taken some similar measures.  It seems like widespread testing and information sharing is so far being somewhat successful.

• Like 1

Aww, I feel so sorry for older people who really look forward to their once a month club meeting or their yearly conference and then it's cancelled by this virus. My son is in a club that's almost entirely made up of men age 60 and up. They only meet once a month and some of them drive quite a distance for the meeting. It's one of the few times they get out of the house and they're really disappointed when the meetings can't be held.🙁

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Sad 5
2 hours ago, mellifera33 said:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/coronavirus-all-k-12-schools-king-snohomish-pierce-counties-be-closed-through-april-24/XIDPHMLVOJAAREQ5YCL75367PU/

I've been wondering when this would be announced--all k-12 schools in King (main city Seattle) Snohomish (main city Everett) and Pierce (main city Tacoma) counties are closed through April 24. Our local hs music program has been moved online, and our coop is canceled. This will be interesting, locally--Tacoma school district and our local, smaller district are both high poverty districts. Hopefully they can continue nutrition and health services to families in need. 

My nephew is in a district near Renton, my brother has subbed and then interned for the last few years and now almost has his teaching degree, he has said that there is a vast difference is some of the schools, he subbed in all kinds in that area.  

When we lived in Illinois near St. Louis, many Illinois churches helped with making and delivering sack lunches for children from East St. Louis schools.  (They also have them backpacks with school supplies at the beginning of each school year.) E. St. Louis has terrible poverty, it is on the Illinois side and is its own area, the average income is $6,000 per year.

ETA: the sack lunch delivery was during summer for sure and possibly during spring and winter breaks, I'm not sure of the breaks.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

I'm feel very grateful to the people in charge who are making the hard calls. It's SO tough to be the one to make a call. All I had to call off was a tiny homeschool Shakespeare production and I AGONIZED over it and put it off and almost let it go tomorrow and then I just couldn't. I kept thinking, someone make this call for me. Surely the county will cancel and make it so we can't use the space. Surely. Surely. And then I finally did it... and the governor canceled everything just after. But it SUCKED. 

So I just say... this is why everything needs to be canceled from the top. Cancel it all. Don't let us feel guilty or second guess. People in charge just need to do the dirty work because the rest of us can't be trusted.

And hold them in the light, all these county executives, mayors, governors, bishops, and heads of large organizations that they'll have the courage to do the right thing.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
Just now, mom2scouts said:

Aww, I really feel sorry for older people who really look forward to their once a month club meeting or their yearly conference and then it's cancelled by this virus. My son is in a club that's almost entirely made up of men age 60 and up. They only meet once a month and some of them drive quite a distance for the meeting. It's one of the few times they get out of the house and they're really disappointed when the meetings can't be held.🙁

Yeah, that's pretty much how my dad felt... but I said, if you want to see your old buddies again next year, you need to not all give each other Coronavirus this year...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

.  It seems like widespread testing and information sharing is so far being somewhat successful.

It does involve a lot of “Big Brother” measures that the authors have said won’t work for a long period of time in Taiwan. 

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

So I just say... this is why everything needs to be canceled from the top. Cancel it all. Don't let us feel guilty or second guess. People in charge just need to do the dirty work because the rest of us can't be trusted.

When CDC recommended keeping gatherings under 250 people for my county, some locals complain on Facebook. When the California governor says the same sentence, people kept quiet.

• Like 3

School districts seem likely to close from richer to poorer. Out of central NC today:

Chapel Hill/Carrboro Schools Closed March 16-27
Remote classes March 30-Apr 3
Orange County Schools Closed March 16-April 6

Durham and Wake (which is huge and varies a lot socioeconomically) have not made any calls.

UPDATE: Durham will be closed starting Monday. Good for them.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It does involve a lot of “Big Brother” measures that the authors have said won’t work for a long period of time in Taiwan. 

Yes I can’t imagine people in US being happy with that level of tracking.  I also suspect it’s probably more useful when you’ve got cases coming in from limited localities versus cases coming in from all over and many mini clusters.  People would be more relaxed about some tracking here I think based on the usual care level but some would worry.

CORONAVIRUS SCHOOLS UPDATE: major announcement concerning all SA public schools at 2.30pm. I’ll have the latest details

@7NewsAdelaide

4pm 6pm
this from my local news.  I’m interested because DS is supposed to be playing his tennis final tomorrow and I suspect if the schools get cancelled kids sports are going to start going as well.  Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets his tennis in but not footy next week.

10 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Thanks.  I can’t like your post because I’m out of likes.  It’s really interesting to see the different ways it’s been handled.  South Korea seem to have taken some similar measures.  It seems like widespread testing and information sharing is so far being somewhat successful.

Here is the response in NZ.  We are still at the tracking close contacts phase, and checking daily the 252 people in self isolation.  All 5 of our cases have been completed and released, so we are currently at zero for 6 days. I bolded the parts that I thought were most interesting. 

Ms Ardern expects to announce the new travel restrictions over the weekend.

At the moment, foreign travellers arriving from mainland China and Iran are banned from entering the country. Travellers from South Korea and Italy are asked to self-isolate for two weeks on arrival.

Ardern also said New Zealand had a responsibility as a gateway to the Pacific to do everything it could to stop the spread of Covid-19 there.

Auckland's Pasifika Festival has been cancelled, amid concerns about the virus being transmitted to the Pacific Islands.

Ardern said if Covid-19 was to spread in the Pacific, it would be hugely damaging to its health system.

Ardern said a large number of people were travelling from the Islands for the event and letting it go ahead was a risk Cabinet was not willing to take.

Officials are yet to decide if Polyfest, which is set to take place in the city next weekend, will still go ahead.

Two patients who were in hospital - one confirmed case and one probable - have both been discharged and are recovering at home with daily checks.

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield said Healthline was busy but coping with twice the usual number of calls.

He said all 252 close contacts of the confirmed cases in self-isolation were being monitored daily and planning was underway for scaling up New Zealand's ability to contact trace individuals exposed to others with the coronavirus.

"Our key advice, which is fundamental to our response, is not putting yourself or others at risk if you are unwell. This means not going to work or going to places where there are other people if you are sick. All of us have a role to play in stopping further spread. I need to emphasise how critical this is as New Zealand responds to Covid-19," Dr Bloomfield said.

"This is particularly important for concerts and other large gatherings we have coming up, including this weekend. Please stay home if you're unwell."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My nearby town said they would keep the St Patrick’s Day Party in downtown.  It is cancelled now because the governor said no gatherings of over 500 people.  I think it is the right decision!  But I can see why they didn’t want to cancel it, too.

Eldest child said, "We're out of milk."  So I sallied forth to the grocery store for milk.  Said grocery store was like the apocalypse, and people were saying things like, "The CDC is going to close all grocery stores."  

Sigh.  

The community college where eldest attends has not closed, although they have spring break next week, and I'm going to be shocked if they actually return afterwards.  Younger kid's school district has not closed.  It's standardized test season, and while I think they should close, I'm not sure they will.  

I emailed the pastor last night about church and if they had thought through various possibilities, and at 2 pm she sent me a text saying that they had never considered closing and that I was being alarmist.  At 6 pm a church wide message went out saying church was closed more or less "for the duration."  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2