Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

23 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Just wanted to give a recommendation for saving your hands if you are having cracking hands from extra hand washing.  I bought Weleda Skin Food cream for my hands.  Hands down worth it. My hands are still happy from applying it 3 hours ago. 

I “stockpiled” Weleda products for chemotherapy and radiation when Whole Foods had their line drive sale. They have one of the safest range of products to use.

Their Rosemary hair oil works for making DS15’s hair neater than using typical hair gel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One piece people seem to be missing in discussing school closures are parents and teens themselves that may be high risk according to the CDC. Everyone with asthma, diabetes, on immunosuppressants....that includes a chunk of kids. Just because they are at a lower risk of dying doesn’t mean they aren’t in for a hella bumpy ride if they get it, iykwim.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Dh was at the store last night. We have had three huge waves of rushes. Rush one on masks and sanitizer happened in late January. Stuff was getting shipped back to family in China by locals here. Rush two was the first local case was announced. Dh was at a grocery store trying to find flour and a few basics and was behind in line from a guy who works at Costco. He said our local Costco had its busiest day ever yesterday. Yesterday was definitely Rush 3.

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

I just looked at the main Carolina web page for COVID-19,  On that page, at this moment, they are not showing this, but when I looked a day or 2 ago, along with the States they listed, they showed 2 cities in TX,  Austin and San Antonio, Apparently other large TX cities have much lower risk at this time.   

Or perhaps it means that Texas, like many places, isn't testing people it should be, and the problem is worse than reported.  It is naive to think that the virus isn't everywhere in the US by now.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

One piece people seem to be missing in discussing school closures are parents and teens themselves that may be high risk according to the CDC. Everyone with asthma, diabetes, on immunosuppressants....that includes a chunk of kids. Just because they are at a lower risk of dying doesn’t mean they aren’t in for a hella bumpy ride if they get it, iykwim.

This does worry me. All of my kids are higher risk....

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Pen said:

I need something and like Weleda company.  Does it have a fragrance? I don’t do well fragrance products, never if faux chemicals impersonating florals etc, but even natural lavender and a few other such are a problem for me

Their products do have natural smells. My kids can smell it for moisturizer and body wash. Not so much for hair oil. None of us are sensitive to lavender flowers used for landscaping or to lavender oil.

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Hope you could tell in my letter that that was related to my point number 1!

I think they are paying some attention to citizens contacting them with concerns. 

• Like 1

I'm hearing a lot of "It's OK, I don't need friends anyway....sigh, angst, sigh"... I am  having a hard time convincing my kid that there isn't some big party going on somewhere that she's being left out of-everyone is going online or cancelling events! And this is the one who took epidemiology and infectious disease last year.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Pen said:

I need something and like Weleda company.  Does it have a fragrance? I don’t do well fragrance products, never if faux chemicals impersonating florals etc, but even natural lavender and a few other such are a problem for me

We use lanolin in the winter when our hands get really dry. It's very sticky, so we put it on thickly before bed, then cover our hands with a pair of loose cotton socks, like mittens. It never fails to magically heal dry skin by the following morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

YES.  I have been prepping for weeks.  Everyone was saying no big deal.  Making fun of me.  Now everyone is changing their minds. 

SIL was talking to DH last night, they live in Dallas, and said she wished someone had warned her. DH told her she needs to get with the program and join us on FB b/c "Wifey" (me) "has been warning everyone, up to and including their monkey's uncle, for the last month!" lol.  After that totally backhanded compliment he proceeded to tell me he thinks it'd be better for me/us to get it now when medical resources are still available than at the peak of the crisis. DUDE!! You're still not getting it...we're trying to stave off a massive and overwhelming peak!

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

And you will become a villain in their minds for "stockpiling" and "hoarding" so there is nothing left for those who weren't "panicking". (Argg! I have actually read people's arguments saying this over the last 24 hours.)

Yep. I don't even tell people what I have on FB anymore. I did what I recommended they do and I am not terribly worried for my personal family...just ready. My worries are for those who aren't prepared or who are underprepared (for whatever the reasons).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

. Yesterday was definitely Rush 3.

At least five nearby community colleges closed or are closing today. Maybe the current rush is to feed young adults at home for three weeks. Explains the sudden depletion of toilet paper in stores yesterday as many people bought more during the previous rush. Local K-12 schools are still in session but spring break is coming soon for some districts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Their products do have natural smells. My kids can smell it for moisturizer and body wash. Not so much for hair oil. None of us are sensitive to lavender flowers used for landscaping or to lavender oil.

I ordered a tube of the cream. I hope it hasn’t got much if any lavender nor any geranium...  

calendula, chamomile, rosemary, and almond will all be fine so I also ordered a “baby” cream that seems to be based on those.  My hands definitely need something.  And while virus shouldn’t penetrate intact skin, cracked skin is probably vulnerable to all sorts of things. 

8 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I’m looking forward to being in the “ok so you’re NOT crazy after all” class. DH’s switch finally flipped yesterday. Today dealing with a teen who’s realizing her social life is in ruins, convinced along with her friends that it’s all news media hype. Sorry, dear, protest all you want, you still can’t go to the movies with friends since there’s no school. 

Question: what do you do with young adults? I’ve got one here at home that has been instructed to work from home until further notice, but I anticipate there will be no staying at home. Are y’all considering setting rules for your young adults about not going places where they could bring an exposure home? Like meeting friends at restaurants or coffee shops?

Bring this article up and have them read it:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Our schools are not closed yet but I explained to my son I was expecting them to close. Then I told him to read this article because it is why I am hoping they close the schools, despite the inconvenience it will bring us.  After reading this, he was sobered but seems to understand more. He's 12.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Question: what do you do with young adults? I’ve got one here at home that has been instructed to work from home until further notice, but I anticipate there will be no staying at home. Are y’all considering setting rules for your young adults about not going places where they could bring an exposure home? Like meeting friends at restaurants or coffee shops?

Both of our young adults are here. They don't need any encouragement to take it seriously. Both DH and I are high risk. I think DS24 is more worried about us than we are about ourselves, and DS21 isn't far behind. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

I ordered a tube of the cream. I hope it hasn’t got much if any lavender nor any geranium...  

calendula, chamomile, rosemary, and almond will all be fine so I also ordered a “baby” cream that seems to be based on those.  My hands definitely need something.  And while virus shouldn’t penetrate intact skin, cracked skin is probably vulnerable to all sorts of things. 

Ingredients: water, sunflower seed oil, lanolin, sweet almond oil, alcohol, beeswax, glyceryl linoleate, hydrolyzed beeswax, fragrance from natural essential oils, pansy extract, rosemary leaf extract, chamomile flower extract, calendula flower extract, cholesterol, limonene, linalool, geraniol, citral, coumarin.

• Thanks 1

Our youngest lives with us part-time.  She works for a major hospital and it's been interesting to hear what doctors there think.  Many believe that a lot of people have probably already been exposed to this without realizing it.   But she takes public transportation and of course is in a hospital setting, and then she comes here, and that's fine.  She's very careful about washing and following guidelines.  We have high-risk people in our family but are also careful ourselves, so not concerned.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, square_25 said:

All this crowding around in stores can't POSSIBLY be the right idea... 

That's what I am thinking! I have been avoiding crowds for a couple of weeks now.  No way that I would want to be crammed into a crowded grocery store at this point.  

• Like 1

"True to the Olin College spirit of innovation, creativity and teamwork, graduating seniors donned garbage bags, paper "origami" caps and tassels made of yarn, holding "faux-mencement" 2020 in the Oval today. Faculty, staff and students blew bubbles, cheered, clapped and cried, as the "faux-grads" received their "faux-diplomas."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

This does worry me. All of my kids are higher risk....

Me too.  I have a high risk adult child.  She teaches in the public schools and has very bad asthma.  She just recently celebrated the fact that she hadn't needed an ER visit for a year.   They've closed all schools here in MD but that doesn't start until Monday.  I hope it isn't too late.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

These are what I use

https://www.weleda.com/product/c/comforting-body-lotion Comforting Body Lotion - Calendula (baby). I use as full body moisturizer and for hives as well.

https://www.weleda.com/product/a/soothing-body-wash---almond Soothing Body Wash - Almond

https://www.weleda.com/product/r/rosemary-conditioning-hair-oil Rosemary Conditioning Hair Oil

• Thanks 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

These are what I use

https://www.weleda.com/product/c/comforting-body-lotion Comforting Body Lotion - Calendula (baby). I use as full body moisturizer and for hives as well.

https://www.weleda.com/product/a/soothing-body-wash---almond Soothing Body Wash - Almond

https://www.weleda.com/product/r/rosemary-conditioning-hair-oil Rosemary Conditioning Hair Oil

I used to use the Calendula baby lotion.  It's nice, but there's nothing like the Skin Food for chapped hands.  I think it's the lanolin - practically first ingredient.  It does sound like it has a small amount of geraniol, hopefully not enough to bother pp.   

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

And you will become a villain in their minds for "stockpiling" and "hoarding" so there is nothing left for those who weren't "panicking". (Argg! I have actually read people's arguments saying this over the last 24 hours.)

Sigh. The only people I've seen complaining about hoarding were people who saw people literally taking things that were really out there. Like, a friend posted that she went to the store for a few final things and that a woman in front of her had 5 full cases (so several bags in each) of cough drops. She was like, they're all gone on the shelves now, she bought them all.

Of course, you never know what you're seeing. A friend of mine hit Costco yesterday early morning to do shopping for impoverished families. She was buying for five families so she had a lot of stuff and got a lot of dirty looks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Question: what do you do with young adults? ... Are y’all considering setting rules for your young adults about not going places where they could bring an exposure home? 

I believe we will eventually all be exposed, but I want to slow down the event by reducing the chances of being exposed right away. 

Yeah, I'm a monster as I told DD yesterday she can't go hang out with the local school kids at the playground or play on the <empty> germy playground unless she takes hand sanitizer & uses it. (She's a nail biter.) I'm really hoping the place she works shuts down when the schools do or sooner. Local schools are off right now for spring break & scheduled to restart Monday but many of the kids were/will be exposed at the state basketball tournament.

My college kid is 12 hours away and not coming home so I am not telling her she can't go out with her friends in public. She knows the risks & makes her own choices and, this is the important part, those choices won't impact the rest of us directly in terms of infection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

I'm thinking we'll still have some one-on-one playdates, if no one is sniffly. That seems consistent with lower spreading of disease. 

What I saw doctors suggest in one Q&A article was choosing just one or possibly two families to socialize with who were also choosing just your family and limiting contact with others.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Thanks for this! Screenshotting in case the need arises to show it to my asthma-prone teen, who is already flopping around with a case of ennui on this first morning of cancelled school. 

The article Matryoshka linked above, by an Italian doctor, makes the crucial point that the mortality rate isn't all that matters. Some who survive will still have lung scarring and decreased lung capacity for life, even though they make it through intensive care and survive the illness.

I haven't decided if I'll have my teens read this article because it's clearly coming from a place of such severe crisis and the tone is frightening even to me, but I will definitely be sharing some of these points with them. 

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

But why the urgency, if most people survive?

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.

Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know what is happening in Guatemala? A bunch of DD's Spanish classes for the next few weeks just got cancelled (and a few rescheduled) all at once, which makes me worry for her teacher. 

6 minutes ago, Farrar said:

What I saw doctors suggest in one Q&A article was choosing just one or possibly two families to socialize with who were also choosing just your family and limiting contact with others.

This is what we did. They are also welcome to FaceTime, etc.

My kids watch the news. Seeing what went down in China and Italy is sobering, especially knowing we will likely be in the same position in the next two weeks.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

And high blood pressure, which is apparently a big risk factor. How many teachers and parents have high blood pressure? 

From American Heart Association: https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_319587.pdf

In the United States, about 77.9 million (1 out of every 3) adults have high blood pressure.

Among adults age 20 and older in the United States, the following have high blood pressure: - For non-Hispanic whites, 33.4 percent of men and 30.7 percent of women. - For non-Hispanic blacks, 42.6 percent of men and 47.0 percent of women. - For Mexican Americans, 30.1 percent of men and 28.8 percent of women.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Yeah, that seems like a good plan. Making small clusters. We'll see how practical that winds up being. 

For now, we will see a few close friends outdoors only, requiring our teens to stay a distance apart. Hikes, walks, that sort of thing. Not sure what I'd do if my kids were younger, when it may have seemed impossible to maintain any distance.

Since our city now has dramatically increased capability for testing, I want to see what happens in the next couple weeks with the number of people who test positive and the number hospitalized.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Farrar said:

That sounds like an excellent idea!!!

keeps some  human contact, but greatly reduces exposures

• Like 1

The thing about messaging to the kids ... it's a fine line.  My kids have been worried about me dying since they discovered I was mortal at age 4.  One kid has OCD and worries that something bad will happen to someone if she doesn't do xyz pdq over and over again.  I have to be reassuring while still being reasonable as anyone should be about spreading illness.

I need to call my dad soon and tell him I won't be coming over to give him the items he asked me to procure for my mom.  Will probably FedEx them.  I'll ask if he needs me to order any deliveries for him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

Does anyone know what is happening in Guatemala? A bunch of DD's Spanish classes for the next few weeks just got cancelled (and a few rescheduled) all at once, which makes me worry for her teacher. 

I think it had a countrywide lock down ?

1 minute ago, Paige said:

The Johns Hopkins map/tracker just lowered the number of US infections by about 500; from 1700+ last night to 1200+ now. Does anyone know why? 

I also noticed a reduction in deaths when I checked.  I was hoping they figured out that there was some other cause, but I don't know.

Just now, square_25 said:

Do you think indoor playdates or outdoor ones are better? On the one hand, enclosed spaces are a problem, on the other, kids want to go to playground where there are WAY more kids... (My kids are 7 and almost 4, like it says in my siggy.) 

Go on a hike- alone. 

I say outdoor is far better if you have to go, however. At least you will have fresh air and be able to avoid crowding if you want. I wouldn't put my hand on the door of an indoor play area right now (but I went last week).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paige said:

The Johns Hopkins map/tracker just lowered the number of US infections by about 500; from 1700+ last night to 1200+ now. Does anyone know why? 

I don't know, but I just looked & my state is missing from the list completely. I'm using the Covid Tracking Project spreadsheet for US numbers: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRwAqp96T9sYYq2-i7Tj0pvTf6XVHjDSMIKBdZHXiCGGdNC0ypEU9NbngS8mxea55JuCFuua1MUeOj5/pubhtml#

2 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Do you think indoor playdates or outdoor ones are better? On the one hand, enclosed spaces are a problem, on the other, kids want to go to playground where there are WAY more kids... (My kids are 7 and almost 4, like it says in my siggy.) 

How urban are you? My kids can go on walks but we are not going to parks. Solar uv is a great sanitizer but I view all equipment as dirty. So, kicking a ball around in a quiet place or riding scooters without passing foot traffic is ok, otherwise it is 1:1 at someone’s home. We aren’t going out in public otherwise at all.

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I haven't told anyone local that I was "prepping."  Based on comments I'm still seeing on my FB feed, many are still unhappy with the inconvenience of it all and schools being cancelled.  I would be called out if I was saying get prepared.  Oh well!!!  I stocked up my house like normal (considering I have 2 teen boys that are eating us out of house and home) and then got a few extra things.  If that is stockpiling or hoarding, oh well!!!!  They shouldn't have poo-pooed it a couple of weeks ago.  It's not like people haven't heard about this!  My DH and the boys were laughing at me 2 weeks ago (they were in support, but thought I was a bit nutso).  They love me now :-)!

Sometimes I think people underestimate the weight something like this can have on kids and how easily that is lifted by simple things like knowing their parents are paying attention and planning. They don't worry about all the details we get caught on or the cascade of problems we might see.  Just knowing that "Mom's got enough groceries to last forever [in their minds]!" is enough to lift that weight. 

I have made my kids watch a couple of Dr. Campbell's videos, mostly the ones about how the virus works and how to prevent spread, etc. They didn't appreciate it, but at least they know what's going on. 

ETA: Aack! I just reread this and realized it might come across the wrong way @mlktwinsI don't mean this to mean your kids don't know what's going on. I meant it as support and agreement with you. Your-family-loves-you-because-they-know-you've-got-their-back kinda thing.

Oldest dd works at Kroger ClickList. I put in a HUGE order of normal, regular groceries (not bags upon bags of rice or cans of beans...just the normal stuff to stock my pantry and freezer to get my big family through a couple weeks). Her co-workers were like, "Girl, what is up with your mom?!" She told them I was stockpiling for the coronavirus. This was several weeks ago. She was a bit smug last time she was over here.

37 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

This is our local Walmart now (from my neighborhood FB page).

Not even sure what aisle that was supposed to be. 

Walmart.jpg

I bet anything it's the toilet paper aisle. Dd sent me a picture very similar to this one from her store. Their store had restocked the paper aisle this morning at 7am. It had toilet paper on one side and paper towels on the other and included facial tissues and stuff. Both sides looked like this by 9am.

Edited by Aura

5 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I was thinking outdoor, but not in a place where a gajillion kids are running around.

With weeks of this new situation ahead, I feel like it's a good idea to do things that will benefit our lungs, so that when/if we catch something, we have a better starting point.  I'm not a doctor, but this just sounds logical to me.

• Like 1

Trump plans to declare national emergency over coronavirus pandemic

KEY POINTS
  • President Trump plans to declare a national emergency over the coronavirus pandemic, administration officials told NBC News.
  • The president has scheduled a 3 p.m. ET press conference Friday at the White House.
  • French President Emmanuel Macron said leaders of Group of 7 economic giant nations have “agreed to organize an extraordinary Leaders Summit by videoconference on Monday” on coronavirus.
  • Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the White House and Congress are nearing a deal that would provide stimulus to the U.S. economy.

@Pen @Sneezyone
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/spying-coronavirus-little-known-u-s-intel-outfit-has-its-n1157296
“Former officials and outside experts say the NCMI calls upon all sources of intelligence — from communications intercepts to satellite imagery to human source reporting — to seek answers that elude public health authorities, including whether foreign governments are lying about the extent and nature of the disease in their countries. It also combs open sources, such as social media.

"The value that NCMI brings is that it has access to information streams that the World Health Organization does not have, nor does the Centers for Disease Control or anyone else," said Denis Kaufman, a retired senior officer who worked at the NCMI.

The NCMI employs a multidisciplinary team of virologists, epidemiologists, toxicologists, medical doctors, veterinarians and other experts with extensive operational medical experience from the military services, Kaufman added.

In normal times, the NCMI's primary customer is the U.S. military, which uses the information to monitor potential health threats to its forces abroad. But in the midst of a pandemic, NCMI analysis is likely a fixture in the president's daily intelligence briefing, officials say.

The NCMI would have been monitoring the virus' beginnings in Wuhan, China, including the Chinese government's effort to cover up what was happening, experts say.

"That's kind of their raison d'être — they would definitely want to know and try to find out what foreign governments really know about what is going on," said Jonathan Clemente, a physician who has visited and written about the NCMI.

Now, the NCMI would be gathering information on everything from strains on hospitals in Italy to signs of the virus in Syrian refugee camps.”

• Like 1