Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I keep wondering about the hazmat suits.  On the one hand the virus can’t get through protecting the person inside.  On the other hand we know the virus loves longer on plastic than natural fibres.  Could that help spread it around outside the person wearing it.  And I don’t know how latex compares.  I know there are antibacterial buttons for lifts but i don’t know about antiviral due to the smaller size?  Anyone know more?

I don’t know, but I think these are really interesting questions.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen @Pawz4me @mathnerd @MEmama @StellaM @Æthelthryth the Texan

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3074988/coronavirus-some-recovered-patients-may-have

“Coronavirus: some recovered patients may have reduced lung function and are left gasping for air while walking briskly, Hong Kong doctors find

• Hospital Authority releases its findings after observing the first group of discharged coronavirus patients
  • Some patients might have a drop of about 20 to 30 per cent in lung function, says medical director of Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital”

OMW. I can't afford to lose any more lung function...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

(not sure if this has been shared) 

6th case in New Zealand,   they flew home to Auckland from New Jersey via Houston. 

Update:  From midnight Sunday, every person arriving in New Zealand will have to isolate themselves for 14 days.

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

OMW. I can't afford to lose any more lung function...

From the same article 

“But Tsang said the long-term effect on recovered patients, such as whether they would develop pulmonary fibrosis, a condition where lung tissue hardened and the organ could not function properly, had yet to be ascertained.

He said discharged patients could do cardiovascular exercise such as swimming to help the lungs recover gradually.”

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Nester forster

Nelshino Trad

Fabio Wajngarten

it was previously said the president was positive but now it looks like there’s some question over that?

He was apparently wrongly reported positive, is actually negative. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

(not sure if this has been shared) 

6th case in New Zealand,   they flew home to Auckland from New Jersey via Houston. 

I wonder if it was Lewelma’s son’s same flight for Houston to NZ... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

When we talk about an older population is it the median age or mean age that’s most important.  Because this keeps getting cited as a factor for Italy but Germany actually have a slightly higher median age and so far lower death rate?  China on the other hand are lower than Aus or the US or most of Europe. 

“The measure includes two weeks of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave, enhanced unemployment benefits, free virus testing including for those who lack insurance, additional food aid and federal funds for Medicaid.

The deal was a product of an intense round of talks that unfolded between Ms. Pelosi and Steven Mnuchin, the Treasury secretary, as financial markets swung wildly amid uncertainty about the spiraling crisis. It must still be approved by the Senate, which is expected to take up the measure when it returns next week.”

NY times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

All travellers except from pacific islands to self isolate for 14 days in NZ

Cruise ships are also banned 🙂
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/covid-19-everyone-entering-new-zealand-required-isolate-cruise-ships-banned
“The Prime Minister also announced that no cruise ships will be allowed to come to New Zealand until June 30.

"We have two choices as a nation - one is to lets Covid-19 roll on and simply brace - the second is to go hard on preventive measures and stamp it out."

There are currently six confirmed cases in New Zealand, and Ms Ardern said five of those had already undergone contact tracing, and that was underway for the sixth.

Ms Ardern said a business continuity package will be announced on Tuesday, and that new guidelines will also be announced around large mass gatherings and events.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd

“CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: 2 more SJ firefighters have tested positive for COVID-19, totaling to 6 cases. 1 additional TSA worker from Mineta San Jose International Airport has also tested positive for the virus after 3 cases were reported Tuesday.” https://abc7news.com/health/6-firefighters-1-additional-tsa-worker-test-positive-for-covid-19-in-sj-/6010411/

“SAN JOSE – Four more San Jose firefighters have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total to eight, the city said in a report Friday.

The city said it is also tracking the status of 46 sworn personnel who may have been exposed to the potentially deadly respiratory disease.

As of Friday, 79 people in Santa Clara County have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19. Two people have died – a woman in her 60s with chronic health conditions and a woman in her 80s.

The San Jose Fire Department, according to the city report, has been able to backfill all temporarily vacant positions and expects to maintain normal resource levels indefinitely.” https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/13/coronavirus-number-of-infected-san-jose-firefighters-doubles/

• Sad 3

33 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Glad it's not ours. I got an email tonight from our church saying, among other things, that although services will continue (there are fewer than 200), instead of greeting each other with a hug or handshake to please greet one another with a smile.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I had a brief ummm experience let’s call it with an Eastern Orthodox Church in USA, and I think that that was indeed their view: No illness or disease possible via Communion Eucharist or other Holy Rites.  

Worldwide it is a big group.  Possibly the alcohol in the wine would help inactivate virus.  But it seems like potentially a significant problem aggregating all such church parishes which believe that globally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kdsuomi said:

Yep. Unfortunately, with the loss of income we're seeing, there's no way my company (international with about 1200 employees currently) can afford to give everyone whose child's school has closed 14 paid days off (plus additional paid leave beyond that) . Knowing the amount of employees this will affect, my company, and many others,  likely will either not survive this or will have to go through massive layoffs. 

So the companies are expected to pay not gov?  I assumed that but wasn’t sure and wondered how it worked.

how much sick leave do you normally get?

NEW RULES FOR NZ

* Every person entering New Zealand from anywhere in the world will be required to self-isolate for 14 days, excluding the Pacific (as @Ausmumof3 mentioned). These restrictions will all be reviewed in 16 days' time.

* The existing travel ban for China and Iran will continue

* Cruise ships banned from coming to New Zealand, until at least June 30, 2020

* Strict new health measures at the border for people departing to the Pacific

* Measures to help those in self-isolation to be announced next week

* Government will work closely with the aviation sector to encourage airlines to remain active in New Zealand, limiting the impacts on the tourism sector and exporters

* There will be a directive on mass gatherings announced early next week

(source)

ETA: sorry @Arcadia, much of this is a repeat of your post above, which I missed seeing)

Edited by tuesdayschild

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

“#BREAKING: Eight Alameda firefighters are in quarantine after one firefighter in the department tested positive for coronavirus, officials announced Friday.
http://nbcbay.com/zXn3Oet”

Trouble with fire is at least here there are some that rotate between stations so if one has an outbreak there’s a good chance it will move between stations unless they realise quickly.

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Trouble with fire is at least here there are some that rotate between stations so if one has an outbreak there’s a good chance it will move between stations unless they realise quickly.

The firefighters here generally don’t rotate among stations but they do meet for refresher trainings.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Where is the reporting in Life Care Center and their company?   2/3 of the WA deaths are at this facility.  22 of 27 in our county—and by the way, that’s a very high proportion of the residents...and not as widespread in the county as raw numbers make it seem. 

where is the reporting in this company and it’s officers and management—we as civilians have long known it was not a good place.  One of their sites was closed for medicare fraud a couple of years ago.  Where is the reporting on this???   And where are the insurance companies?  This place has been on the list of options for my MIL for the past 3 times she has needed rehab.  But they have to have known about the company’s medicare fraud.  Why would they continue to recommend this place?   Now I’m getting mad.  The reporting on this is shallow.    I’ve seen a couple of digging reports but mostly I have to do the digging.  Without being able to check reliability of reports.  
now I’m mad.  

ETA:  this company has cost this nation billions of dollars and individuals their lives and their jobs and their ... peace.  

My mother in law says the Life Care Centers in Idaho also have a bad reputation. Her mom was in a nursing home with a good reputation, she still visits staff and residents there years after her mom passed away. The good nursing home put restrictions on early, before any cases in Idaho, she has not been able to visit for a while.

• Like 2

went next town over ( 80km )  for twins swimming lessons and weekly shopping. ( quite possibly the last time for a while)

It was total bedlam in the shops. everyone had huge trolleys of stuff, lots of items not available, including pasta, flour, sugar, women products, rice, canned tomatoes and beans, dry lentils and soup mixes. the checkout person told me that there was a big line up waiting before the shop opened at 7 am. I saw one lady loading up on laundry detergent  My dd messaged me and said she was out shopping as well ( in Melbourne) and saw people clearing shelves of all juice,  taking every packet of toothpaste etc.

on a disturbing  note, twin 1 kept picking up items in the shops and kissing them  then putting them back on the shelf. I was just about having a fit trying to get him to stop doing this....the more I explained why it is not a good idea or told him to stop the more he did it....  He is the one that went through a stage of running his hands over public toilets then licking them. ARGH.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

went next town over ( 80km )  for twins swimming lessons and weekly shopping. ( quite possibly the last time for a while)

It was total bedlam in the shops. everyone had huge trolleys of stuff, lots of items not available, including pasta, flour, sugar, women products, rice, canned tomatoes and beans, dry lentils and soup mixes. the checkout person told me that there was a big line up waiting before the shop opened at 7 am. I saw one lady loading up on laundry detergent  My dd messaged me and said she was out shopping as well ( in Melbourne) and saw people clearing shelves of all juice,  taking every packet of toothpaste etc.

on a disturbing  note, twin 1 kept picking up items in the shops and kissing them  then putting them back on the shelf. I was just about having a fit trying to get him to stop doing this....the more I explained why it is not a good idea or told him to stop the more he did it....  He is the one that went through a stage of running his hands over public toilets then licking them. ARGH.

I went to fruit and veg market but we all went today after tennis and there wasn’t room in the car for more food.  I was going back down but decided hopefully Monday will be better because everyone will be back at work and the shelves might have been restocked.  I hope it wasn’t a bad decision but I’m mostly supplied probably mostly thanks to this thread.  Otherwise I wouldn’t have been paying attention.

• Like 2

My school district hasn’t announced any plans to deliver academics or services during the closure. That’s no real surprise to me, but it’s upsetting to see when compared to the detailed plans of schools that aren’t closed yet.  I think I’m much more strongly against consolidating schools now. My former small districts clearly have more flexibility and creativity to serve a smaller student body and geographic area. My current giant district can’t really compare.

My sister’s reporting a real difference between her city mom groups and suburban mom groups. The former is trying to plan a ton of kid activities while the later is pretty much quarantining.

Other sister is mad that our mom and medical-mess stepdad won’t provide child care.

Businesses in my semi-rural area are adapting. Lots of low-contact and charitable services being offered by many, while others are offering mass childcare. @@

3 of my 4 kids are coping just fine, while the one really wants to believe that I’m trying to ruin her life. So that’s fun.

I did think that my younger ones would have a family to play date with in a week or so, but just found out that they’re planning to continue mid-sized group activities, so maybe not.

I’ve been getting frustrated with myself for getting upset about things that I had fully anticipated happening.  Dh pinpointed it: Logically, I’ve been very well-prepared.  I have not been *emotionally prepared at all.

Court in 6 days. I hope.

• Like 3

So...we are hunkered down here and I fully support all the shut downs.  But...my silly question.  I know the goal right now is to slow the spread so as to not overwhelm the hospitals all at once. What is going to happen when life starts going back to normal?  We’re not wiping out the virus...just slowing it down.  Are we just waiting for a vaccine?  Won't all this start again once everything opens up, people start travelling, etc.?  Maybe I just need my first cup of coffee 😁.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mlktwins said:

So...we are hunkered down here and I fully support all the shut downs.  But...my silly question.  I know the goal right now is to slow the spread so as to not overwhelm the hospitals all at once. What is going to happen when life starts going back to normal?  We’re not wiping out the virus...just slowing it down.  Are we just waiting for a vaccine?  Won't all this start again once everything opens up, people start travelling, etc.?  Maybe I just need my first cup of coffee 😁.

Well, yeah, I’ve had similar thoughts. But, in the meantime, medical people and facilities get the chance to prepare better, testing gets expanded to keep contagious people isolated, scientists learn more about transmission and treatment... Or at least that’s how it’s supposed to be.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Smells like oranges. I assume with Weleda something natural. 

Thank you for this.  I won't get it then.  My dd1, who is self quarantined now, is super allergic to citrus.  Now because she moved out and to get more vitamin C, we are eating lots of Vitamin C food including oranges,grapefruits🙁 which I can't eat because of medications, pineapples, berries, tomatoes, etc.  My dh went to the store yesterday late afternoon and Publix was stripped of perishables.  I think that one thing that is happening is that many more people are eating at home.

19 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

China is starting to get things going again, so I'm guessing we'll learn a lot from what happens there. But of course the goal for now IS to just slow it down.

In my corner of the world--One of our large hospital/health systems opened two Covid 19 screening stations yesterday, along with launching an online assessment tool and a question hotline. From what I'm reading it seems that anyone who fits the criteria for testing according to the online assessment will then be able to go to one of the stations and get swabbed. I'm guessing they're doing it using LabCorp. They've also set up triage tents outside of three of their hospitals, and expect to have more screening locations operational by Wednesday. The downside is that at this point they're only operating Monday-Friday. But that's huge progress!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Good news that the lockdowns work.  Maybe if we do it earlier we can stop it getting to that stage.

From the article linked before (And I'll link again for people who missed it), results from lockdowns won't be seen for 12-14 days. So, buckle up.

Coronavirus, why you must act now  (long)

WaPo is making some of their COVID-19 coverage not under the paywall--consistently. I didn't remember to cut & paste the quote.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Hmm well that would be nice.  Ours presumably are sane because they cancelled the fundraiser at the nursing home.

Yeah our church is taking it seriously, they've cancelled all church meetings worldwide.

They also started sending aid packages--including things like face masks--to China early on in the outbreak. Last I read they were working with various governments and groups trying to determine what the best use of available humanitarian assistance resources was.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

From the article linked before (And I'll link again for people who missed it), results from lockdowns won't be seen for 12-14 days. So, buckle up.

Coronavirus, why you must act now  (long)

WaPo is making some of their COVID-19 coverage not under the paywall--consistently. I didn't remember to cut & paste the quote.

Although they are seeing some slow down in the towns that first went into lockdown in Italy apparently?  Maybe depends how quickly people are getting sick after exposure.  

• Like 1

I saw somewhere that one hope is that the peak of the COVID virus will be postponed until after the current flu epidemic settles down so the hospitals don't have to cope with both at the same time. 

My kids are home from university trying to figure out how their online classes will work and preparing for exams that can be taken from home with a webcam proctor. I'm not sure how that will work out or if it is fair. Not all students have access to quiet rooms in their home or great internet. At least the schools are trying to find solutions to a very new situation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Thank you for this.  I won't get it then.  My dd1, who is self quarantined now, is super allergic to citrus.  Now because she moved out and to get more vitamin C, we are eating lots of Vitamin C food including oranges,grapefruits🙁 which I can't eat because of medications, pineapples, berries, tomatoes, etc.  My dh went to the store yesterday late afternoon and Publix was stripped of perishables.  I think that one thing that is happening is that many more people are eating at home.

You might try Alba Botanical unscented it's a good quality, organic  hand lotion. Even the herbal healing variety and the original scent have extremely light scents.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, StellaM said:

I’m actually worried my mom would think this way. If she gets the virus, it will not end well. 

PS: I have not heard her make this statement. But it would go with her thinking in general. 

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, StellaM said:

With the neccessary point added that not all of us with lung conditions EVER smoked!

(Sorry, this is a bugbear of mine - there is so much stigma attached to lung conditions because they are seen as 'smokers illnesses' - some are, but some aren't. Mine is autoimmune, and probably made much worse by being exposed to other people's smoke as a child in the 70's. As a general point, not directed at you square_25! don't assume people with lung disease were ever smokers!)

Boy is that a real sore point with me.  I didn't smoke either-= I have moderate asthma--- I was around smoking in the general public.  My father smoked one pipe a day when he came home but that wasn't anywhere as bad as cigarettes and I was usually in another part of the apartment or playing outside.  But smoking wasn't really outlawed in public areas until starting in the 90s in the US and only really very accepted in the 21st century here.  But both dd and I lived in Belgium in the early to mid 2000's and the pollution in Europe back then was super bad, as was the pollution in the Washington DC area when I was growing up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I didn’t need your permission to evaluate my personal health procedures.  Where do you get off?  

You keep missing it, so let me spell it out for you, lady.  I am ALREADY used to acting this way and do so for ANY ILLNESS because we have vulnerable family members, including me.  Other normal illnesses nobody gives two shits about make him vomit to the point of being unable to take in oral nutrition for weeks.  I am in and out of hospital facilities with other sick and delicate kiddos multiple times per week, and just got off of a massive health crisis of my own complete with a locked down hospital and (too brief) NICU fun. 

There are some of us on this board who have spent years doing beyond what is being recommended here.  And managing our families and routines to deal with exposure risk to ourselves and others.  Just because this stupid coronavirus is novel to humanity doesn’t mean germ theory and public health discussion and personal sanitation and risk mitigation is novel to each one of us, too.  My complete lack of anxiety about this illness is precisely because I act this way for every sniffle, cough, and puke that comes our way already. 

This is where you cross lines in public health.  Worry about YOU, not assuming everyone else in the whole world is ignorant and it’s your job to pronounce kudos or demerits based on your (limited and myopic) analysis of their behavior from whatever you’re gleaning from ten minutes on the Internet.  You cannot control me, you cannot educate random idiots who aren’t already on board with health promoting behavior, either. The ONLY thing you can do to manage this particular pandemic and illness in general is focus on your own actions and behavior, your own education and awareness, and IF someone asks for your opinion or evaluation then kindly share it.

I DID NOT.

Now.  As a sick person who is now thoroughly pissed off at you, I’m going to talk to some people who bug me less and take a nap. 

Hey Arctic Mama, I hope you feel more relaxed now.  

One point, though, is You do not need educating.  I am shaking my head about all those who are ignorant and don't and can;t learn.  Watching yesterday about a segment about a pancake breakfast that expects lots of people this morning.  Our governor has said  no one should have large gatherings-  my city has canceled smaller gathering that are city sponsored too as a precaution and because so many of them attract vulnerable populations.  As I watched the segment, there were lots of elderly and several talked in a manner that they do not believe this is a serious issue.  I know you have had so many serious issues lately and continue to battle serious issues.  But what you and your children and me and my children and all of us do not need is ignornace

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Although they are seeing some slow down in the towns that first went into lockdown in Italy apparently?  Maybe depends how quickly people are getting sick after exposure.  

Yes and that was, what, 6 days ago? The following is not for you because I know you already know it. For any of the newer thread readers, this is my understanding.

The idea is that when the lockdown happens, there are already a lot of undiscovered cases and everyone who was exposed that day will show up with symptoms 2-14+ days later, so the number of cases will still be galloping up until the lack of spread slows down new cases. And that will be on a delay.

It will be worse here in the US because of the lack of availability of testing. So, there are a lot of cases that haven't been confirmed yet. If testing continues to expand and people actually start social distancing and staying home as much as necessary, it will still be a week or three before newly confirmed cases slow down. We are giving the medical establishment a chance to increase their capacity, adapt treatments, and hopefully get an effective vaccine in place (although that will likely not be until 2021).

• Like 12