Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

In addition to 
PACIFIC POWER and

DUKE ENERGY

I saw this about some internet providers giving a two month grace period.  so many people are having hours cut (if they're lucky), or laid off

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/internet-companies-won-t-disconnect-people-unpaid-bills-60-days-n1158321?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR0ZkiTfUO7N1g-IGrQgwuoXRC88kOY8XDO68FvCDDBCAnshhJLrKlYXBas

• Like 2

Governor Inslee just said:

All K-12 schools in Washington state closed through at least April 24.  No in-person courses at colleges through April 24.  Classes that are labs or clinics can continue if there is social distancing.

The "at least" portion makes me wonder if it's going to end up with schools closed until the new school year in August/September.

Edited by TrixieB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Peeps, do you think there is any utility in putting family members in different rooms for sleeping from now on?

Or is that just ridiculous, given we're breathing the same air anyway?

We have enough rooms, temporarily, to have one person to a room.

20 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Look, is there going to be some exposure across the house, sure....but heavy repeated exposure just dumps a higher viral load on you.  I think there is some utility in separate spaces. 

I agree.

It looked like even healthy young doctors in China were having fatal cases, very possibly because of heavier viral load. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I went to our HEB for fresh vegetables when it opened at 6 this morning. It was panicky chaos.

Indeed. DH went to our HEB yesterday and there was plenty of everything, including the all important chips, salsa, and guac. 

Today? Complete chaos!! TP and paper towels sold out; cleaning/disinfecting supplies sold out; chips & salsa dangerously low. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brehon said:

Indeed. DH went to our HEB yesterday and there was plenty of everything, including the all important chips, salsa, and guac. 

Today? Complete chaos!! TP and paper towels sold out; cleaning/disinfecting supplies sold out; chips & salsa dangerously low. 

Scored two bags of El Milagro chips before they all went. We're ready.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I think our area will close soon, especially if there are cases near Rochester( not sure, I haven’t checked recently).

Cuomo waived the 180 day requirement and said it’s up to individual districts.

Normally the comment sections about Cuomo from local news sites are disgustingly nasty towards him, and up until yesterday the majority of comments were denying any problems, claiming it a liberal conspiracy, a way for NYC to steal from the state, all the usual crud. But today I’ve seen more positive things about how he’s reacting to all of this.

I think he seems to be doing a really good job! He is responding and trying to be proactive despite all he has to overcome. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TrixieB said:

Governor Inslee just said:

All K-12 schools in Washington state closed through at least April 24.  No in-person courses at colleges through April 24.  Classes that are labs or clinics can continue if there is social distancing.

The "at least" portion makes me wonder if it's going to end up with schools closed until the new school year in August/September.

At least.  They're easing people into it.  What I'm wondering is if schools will start back in the fall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I think our area will close soon, especially if there are cases near Rochester( not sure, I haven’t checked recently).

Cuomo waived the 180 day requirement and said it’s up to individual districts.

Normally the comment sections about Cuomo from local news sites are disgustingly nasty towards him, and up until yesterday the majority of comments were denying any problems, claiming it a liberal conspiracy, a way for NYC to steal from the state, all the usual crud. But today I’ve seen more positive things about how he’s reacting to all of this.

I am please with how much more seriously things are being taken here than some other states.  I didn't know the 180 day requirement was waved.  It will make me feel better about the days I will need to miss with my 10 year old to go get my ds (who is near Rochester--I haven't heard of any cases there.)  My town, in northern Westchester, just got its first case today.

• Like 1

I’m an ICU nurse. I have to admit I’m really nervous about what is to come at work. I’ve read several accounts from Italy saying they are having to triage and make decisions about who to intubate. 
I watched the JAMA podcast with ICU dr from Italy and when asked he seemed to say that they were able to intubate all those that needed it. That is more comforting to me but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or evidence about which was true.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, freesia said:

I am please with how much more seriously things are being taken here than some other states.  I didn't know the 180 day requirement was waved.  It will make me feel better about the days I will need to miss with my 10 year old to go get my ds (who is near Rochester--I haven't heard of any cases there.)  My town, in northern Westchester, just got its first case today.

Rochester does have 1 case.  https://www.whec.com/rochester-new-york-news/1-positive-covid-19-case-in-monroe-county-50-in-quarantine/5672884/  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TCB said:

I’m an ICU nurse. I have to admit I’m really nervous about what is to come at work. I’ve read several accounts from Italy saying they are having to triage and make decisions about who to intubate. 
I watched the JAMA podcast with ICU dr from Italy and when asked he seemed to say that they were able to intubate all those that needed it. That is more comforting to me but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or evidence about which was true.

Thank you so much for your work.  I would like to pray that you are safe and at peace if you are okay with me praying for you.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

This afternoon I got an email saying our public library was closing in one hour, indefinitely.

I told dd13 and her face twisted in abject horror, as she exclaimed, "MOM, WE HAVE TO ACT NOW!!!!!!"

So we checked out two big bags of books that are now quarantined for several days before we read them, and Purelled and washed vigorously when we got home. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, freesia said:

Thank you so much for your work.  I would like to pray that you are safe and at peace if you are okay with me praying for you.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your prayers! I am a bit nervous about safety as I’m 55 so a little higher risk. Mostly I’m nervous about exhaustion and the things we may have to see and be part of. Thank you so much for praying!

• Like 4

@Acadie

I anticipated the same thing happening soon. When I went out yesterday to get some produce and eggs before hunkering down, I picked up two bags of books as well. That just addes to the 4 dozen we already had checked out. Our local library doesn't have borrowing limits or renewal limits.

Completely washed and changed all my clothes when I got home.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Outstanding!! Our chip supply looked good this morning, too, at least prior to lunch. 

We should set up a Travis-Wilco trading system: a roll of TP or paper towels for a tub of cleaning wipes, for instance. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Acadie said:

This afternoon I got an email saying our public library was closing in one hour, indefinitely.

I told dd13 and her face twisted in abject horror, as she exclaimed, "MOM, WE HAVE TO ACT NOW!!!!!!"

So we checked out two big bags of books that are now quarantined for several days before we read them, and Purelled and washed vigorously when we got home. 

I rely on the library so much, and my boys volunteer there (although that is halted for now).  I am ordering some books from Amazon.  I hardly ever do that -- LOL.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brehon said:

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

I am impressed with your priorities!
I have tried to prep with those necessary items but we keep eating them....

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Acadie said:

My daughter works for the library and we just found out that they are closing starting tomorrow.  I am relieved for her (I was very worried about germs) but stunned that they closed.  It seems like such an important resource for the community.  But definitely a germy resource.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Yesterday they suspended holds in my system.  When I complained to my close friend, she said, "Good thing you've been stockpiling books for the past 20+ years for such a time as this."  Dh texted #I-luv-a-bookworm.  Neither was very sympathetic, lol.

Anyway, I did a library run this morning bc I thought at this rate they will close suddenly and maybe I will only have an hour notice!  See, I knew it could happen.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, freesia said:

Yesterday they suspended holds in my system.  When I complained to my close friend, she said, "Good thing you've been stockpiling books for the past 20+ years for such a time as this."  Dh texted #I-luv-a-bookworm.  Neither was very sympathetic, lol.

Anyway, I did a library run this morning bc I thought at this rate they will close suddenly and maybe I will only have an hour notice!  See, I knew it could happen.

Mine haven't closed, but suspended all activities.  I don't have any holds, but I wonder what they will do about books already checked out?  I guess we keep them until things get back to normal?

Just now, mlktwins said:

Mine haven't closed, but suspended all activities.  I don't have any holds, but I wonder what they will do about books already checked out?  I guess we keep them until things get back to normal?

Ours cancelled all programs and then a few hours later announced an entire, immediate closure. They are asking patrons to keep their books until the library reopens; there will be no late penalties.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TCB said:

Well, this article from The Atlantic is discouraging.  And the new Italian College of Anesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care (SIAARTI) guidelines are tragic and terrifying (how to decide who gets the vent and who gets palliated instead - published in Itallian, but short enough to copy-paste into google translate)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

24 minutes ago, freesia said:

I haven't heard anything from our local branch yet, but I did anticipate and ordered 4 books last week.  That, Overdrive, and my personal stash will hopefully hold me over...

• Like 3

Our governor just held a press conference. The statehouse will be closed for at least a week, but schools will remain open. Ugh. 

Our local ER is bursting at the seams right now - nurses are being called to work who don't typically work at the ER because staff can't keep up with demand.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/vermont/2020/03/13/coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic-vermont-governor-phil-scott/5045531002/

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, freesia said:

the 180 days of school has been waived in Washington too.  the plan is to go longer into june than normal, but they don't expect to make up all of the lost days.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Our local library just announced they are closing tonight.   All due dates and fines are suspended.

• Like 2

The library and schools here finally agreed to close -for 1 week, starting Monday.  It's like they are taking an "Ugh, FINE! Have it your way, you cry babies!" attitude about it.  All other events are still going forward this weekend.  Store inventory was light, but not decimated. I expect that will change after everyone gets off work today.  People here still aren't taking it seriously.

Husband's employer is sending everyone to work at home until "sometime in April". 

My sister has been working 12+ hour days, trying to get medical university students sent home and rapidly shut down the entire medical school. This is her first job as Dean. She's been in the position maybe 5 months, and is...overwhelmed, to say the least. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just realized I made two errors when I started slowly stocking up six weeks ago.  1)  I should have cleaned out my pantry BEFORE I started buying a little extra at each time.  I just found numerous things with dates before 2011.  2)  I should have been more systematic about what I grabbed each time.  We are well stocked on green beans and tomatoes, however.....

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I think they are having a hard time with this decision in NYC. Something like 75% of the kids in the schools are in the Free Lunch program -- they are worried kids won't get enough to eat and that their parents can't afford to take any time off work, anyway. 

I'm going to guess things will close soon enough, though. I doubt they'll manage to hold out. 

I get that. It’s similar to our schools. But we have breakfast and lunch distribution already set up and ready. If the DC government can get it done, so can NY. 

• Like 6

I don’t know if this was already posted.

Aerosol and surface stability of HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2) compared to SARS-CoV-1

Worldometer.info summary: 

• alert.png Virus can remain viable "in aerosols up to 3 hours, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel" a Princeton study awaiting peer review has found          Link:     [source]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I’m very concerned about these large cities like NYC and Chicago that aren’t closing schools. All my NYC friends are ticked with De Blasio.

16 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I think they are having a hard time with this decision in NYC. Something like 75% of the kids in the schools are in the Free Lunch program -- they are worried kids won't get enough to eat and that their parents can't afford to take any time off work, anyway. 

I'm going to guess things will close soon enough, though. I doubt they'll manage to hold out. 

In addition, I saw that something like 150,000 kids in the NYC schools are homeless so it's not just meals but showers and laundry that they are getting at school.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Pen said:

alert.png Virus can remain viable "in aerosols up to 3 hours, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel

I guess my packages will sit on my porch for 24 hrs+ from now on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I’m very concerned about these large cities like NYC and Chicago that aren’t closing schools. All my NYC friends are ticked with De Blasio.

The IL governor has declared that all schools in the state shut down from March 17-March 29. So that takes care of Chicago.

https://fox2now.com/news/illinois/illinois-gov-jb-pritzker-gives-update-on-coronavius/

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

I know it's a typo, but SANITY napkins are definitely essential!

Plus, I don't know what's FUN about a RUN to stores today...

I was on caffeine deficit after my routine oncologist visit 😂

Costco is out of Sambucol and Emergen-C

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Yikes. Do you know if they've tested that the quantity that survives is enough to infect someone or am I way ahead of myself? 

I didn’t see that in the pdf, but wasn’t looking for it.

In my mind though I am wondering how they would ethically test that?

expose people to increasing amounts till they learn how much is needed?  Doesn’t seem like a good idea 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

I know it's a typo, but SANITY napkins are definitely essential!

Plus, I don't know what's FUN about a RUN to stores today...

Haha I missed it

but that’s a genius typo

Oh no!!!   We have no more sanity napkins today!

(nor bananas)

18 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

that was my first thought too.  I've already received 3 packages in the last 4 days or so though.  

I’m using gloves to move them to my garage where they will sit for at least a day.  Going to try and wipe down any items I can before bringing them inside.  Will do the same thing when I start uisng Instacart.

Edited by mlktwins
Spelling
  • Like 4