Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

So...we are hunkered down here and I fully support all the shut downs.  But...my silly question.  I know the goal right now is to slow the spread so as to not overwhelm the hospitals all at once. What is going to happen when life starts going back to normal?  We’re not wiping out the virus...just slowing it down.  Are we just waiting for a vaccine?  Won't all this start again once everything opens up, people start travelling, etc.?  Maybe I just need my first cup of coffee 😁.

Remember WHO’s window of opportunity speech? If the spread can be slowed through minimizing contact,

protective clothings could be manufactured

nurses and all other medical staff could have refresher course on triage and contagious diseases procedures 

HVAC systems at medical facilities and schools can hopefully be cleaned out. 

Hopefully with more data coming from recovered patients worldwide, treatment would improve and less people would die

its also easier to do contact tracing and coronavirus testing when the system doesn’t have a backlog which it does now with people waiting to be tested.

• Like 8

@daijobu Stanford U

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2020/03/13/undergrad-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-nearly-all-undergrads-must-leave-by-wednesday-stanford-announces/

“An undergraduate has tested positive for COVID-19, and nearly all undergraduates must evacuate campus by Wednesday at 5 p.m., University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne wrote in an email Friday evening, in a reversal that came after new restrictions on public gatherings from Santa Clara County Friday morning and President Donald Trump’s declaration of a national emergency Friday afternoon. 

The undergrad who tested positive is self-isolating, Tessier-Lavigne wrote, confirming the first known case of the virus in an undergraduate student. Three cases, including two at Stanford Medicine, had been announced previously.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

https://abc7news.com/6010017/ Interview in link

“Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top infectious disease expert at the National Institutes of Health, says shutdowns and working from home could last up to "eight weeks or more" as COVID-19 cases continue to surge in the U.S.

Fauci made the assessment of what is still to come during an interview Friday with Good Morning America, saying the current state of crisis in the U.S. could last anywhere from two weeks to two months.

"I hope it's going to be in the earlier part, two, three, four weeks, but it's impossible to make an accurate prediction," Fauci said. "It's certainly going to get worse before it gets better."

Fauci said more tests would be available over the next week, but that officials should not wait before trying to mitigate the virus' effects.

"We're at a critical point now as we seek to blunt the rise in cases to make sure it's a hill, not a mountain,'' Fauci said.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wathe said:

Well, this article from The Atlantic is discouraging.  And the new Italian College of Anesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care (SIAARTI) guidelines are tragic and terrifying (how to decide who gets the vent and who gets palliated instead - published in Itallian, but short enough to copy-paste into google translate)

I actually was very encouraged by reading the SIAARTI guidelines as it means to both my daughter and myself---- the main talk about co-morbidiites is not to withhold care but to count age and co-morbidities- so 85 year olds with asthma- not probably 57 year olds with asthma and definitely not 23 year olds.  Another point discussed is how satisfied would the person be to survive.  Both dd and I have long accepted our physical limitations- me much so than her.  Yes, I am fine if I am dependent on oxygen for the rest of my life.  She would be too.  Others, who were healthy before and suddenly  become so disabled are in a different category depending on their attitude---- that is because you need to have the strength to survive psychologically aw well as physically.  So with very short supply of intubations, etc that are desperately needed there- if you have two 70 yo and one is someone who is a survivor type and has gone through losses and has the attitude-I will survive, but will accept limitations- and the other one is I want to survive and go on with life just as it was. the first one is the one they are treating- as they should if draconian measures are needed.

• Like 2

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/spain-counts-1-500-new-covid-19-cases-in-one-day-12538636

“MADRID: Spain confirmed more than 1,500 new cases of coronavirus between Friday (Mar 13) and Saturday (Mar 14) raising its total to 5,753 cases, the second-highest number in Europe after Italy. 

The country was expected to declare a state of emergency on Saturday to try to mobilise resources to combat the virus, which has so far killed 136 people in Spain.

Local media reported on Saturday the Spanish government is to put the country under lockdown as part of its state of emergency measures meant to combat the coronavirus.

The government will say all Spaniards must stay home except to buy food or drugs, go to the hospital, go to work or other emergencies, El Mundo reported.

The paper reports Spain's Interior Ministry will control all police forces, including local and regional ones, as part of the state of emergency.

The government said the Cabinet meeting that is due to decide on the measures was still ongoing. A news conference is expected around 1400 GMT.

On Friday said the government would adopt a series of extraordinary measures in order "to mobilise all the resources of state to better protect the health of all of its citizens".

The number of cases in Spain has increased tenfold since Sunday, and bars, restaurants and all sporting and cultural institutions have been closed.

The Madrid region, which is the country's worst-hit with nearly 3,000 cases, has ordered the closure of all non-essential businesses.

Spain recently shut down schools in several regions, suspended flights from Italy and closed the lower house of parliament for at least a week after a lawmaker tested positive for the coronavirus, in the hope of stemming a growing outbreak.

"We are working on avoiding the Italian scenario," Health Minister Salvador Illa told reporters. 

"With these measures we believe that we can avoid it. And if we have to take additional measures, we will take them."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen @Pawz4me @mathnerd @MEmama @StellaM @Æthelthryth the Texan

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3074988/coronavirus-some-recovered-patients-may-have

“Coronavirus: some recovered patients may have reduced lung function and are left gasping for air while walking briskly, Hong Kong doctors find

• Hospital Authority releases its findings after observing the first group of discharged coronavirus patients
  • Some patients might have a drop of about 20 to 30 per cent in lung function, says medical director of Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital”

That would mean a drop to 40% of expected with my height, weight and age so maybe I would need oxygen, But I have been at 65% for over 22 years with no problems walking briskly most of the time-  some of the time my asthma means I can't or my fatigue from my other AI diseases.  Hong King, though, has a much higher percentage of smokers than in the US and it may be that smokers or ex-smokers who were heavy before- are the main group that is having these sharp drops and so much difficulty.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/03/apples-covid-19-response/

“We will be closing all of our retail stores outside of Greater China until March 27. We are committed to providing exceptional service to our customers. Our online stores are open at www.apple.com, or you can download the Apple Store app on the App Store. For service and support, customers can visit support.apple.com. I want to thank our extraordinary Retail teams for their dedication to enriching our customers’ lives. We are all so grateful to you.
In all of our offices, we are moving to flexible work arrangements worldwide outside of Greater China. That means team members should work remotely if their job allows, and those whose work requires them to be on site should follow guidance to maximize interpersonal space. Extensive, deep cleaning will continue at all sites. In all our offices, we are rolling out new health screenings and temperature checks.
All of our hourly workers will continue to receive pay in alignment with business as usual operations. We have expanded our leave policies to accommodate personal or family health circumstances created by COVID-19 — including recovering from an illness, caring for a sick loved one, mandatory quarantining, or childcare challenges due to school closures.”
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

So...we are hunkered down here and I fully support all the shut downs.  But...my silly question.  I know the goal right now is to slow the spread so as to not overwhelm the hospitals all at once. What is going to happen when life starts going back to normal?  We’re not wiping out the virus...just slowing it down.  Are we just waiting for a vaccine?  Won't all this start again once everything opens up, people start travelling, etc.?  Maybe I just need my first cup of coffee 😁.

I totally hear ya. I (like you) am completely on board with the slow down measures, but at some point life will have to go on. 

My pie in the sky thinking.... could we get to a place where everybody who is sick actually stays home? This would obviously require huge policy changes but that would have to be worth it compared to what we are doing now. Long term that would cut down health risks for all viruses and while it wouldn't stop all spreading of covid19, it would undoubtedly be the number 1 thing we could actually do. At least it is the number 1 thing I can come up with and I've spent a lot of time wondering the same thing.

(I'm recovering from the flu so not sure my thinking is at all clear right now, lol. This "what next" line of thinking is a really great point tho no matter how clear my thinking on it is. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Hey Arctic Mama, I hope you feel more relaxed now.  

One point, though, is You do not need educating.  I am shaking my head about all those who are ignorant and don't and can;t learn.  Watching yesterday about a segment about a pancake breakfast that expects lots of people this morning.  Our governor has said  no one should have large gatherings-  my city has canceled smaller gathering that are city sponsored too as a precaution and because so many of them attract vulnerable populations.  As I watched the segment, there were lots of elderly and several talked in a manner that they do not believe this is a serious issue.  I know you have had so many serious issues lately and continue to battle serious issues.  But what you and your children and me and my children and all of us do not need is ignornace

and, Darwin will take care of that.   This actually reminded me of the red cross kits my dfil received when he was a Japanese POW.  they included cigarettes (it was the 40's).  those who smoked - would trade their FOOD for cigarettes.  Needless to say, smokers didn't survive prison camp.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TracyP said:

My own possibly silly question? If patients are not developing immunity from having covid19 then will a vaccine work? 

I have been wondering the same thing... and hoping they're wrong about the immunity for this not lasting.  I want it to be like chicken pox, please.  Most viruses do confer immunity; colds and flus circulate over and over because they mutate so fast, it's not the same cold or flu you get the next time.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Which was why my primary care doctor was saying, if they won't test me, he will order CAT scan.  That is the definitive test.

I was admiring the canned soup haul of a guy behind me in line at Target yesterday, and he told me matter of factly that he assumes he will be quarantined at some point because he works in a hospital. He mentioned that chest XRays are going to be in high demand. When I mentioned my son has asthma he got visibly concerned and warned me to keep a close eye on him. He said victims are falling from totally healthy to dire within 24-48 hours. We all need to remain vigilant. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

9 hours ago, Renai said:

Glad it's not ours. I got an email tonight from our church saying, among other things, that although services will continue (there are fewer than 200), instead of greeting each other with a hug or handshake to please greet one another with a smile.

Our church has closed its building until end of March for services, groups both outside and inside the church-- we host a lot of different non- church groups from music- to the various AA and associate groups, to American Assoc of Univ Women, etc.  The preschool will operate on Monday and Tuesday, I think, because it follows the school closings but may be canceled too even with the schools closing on Wednesday.  We will have services on Facebook live and then posted on Youtube.  The pastors and others will be available for phone or email concerns,prayers, etc.  

As to our schools---- here in our state, they are closing schools as of March 16.  The thing I really don't like is that no online teaching or other teaching will be allowed by the state---- I guess to keep the schools equally bad????   Anyway, I think in my part of the town, anyone who can keep their children home will be doing that on Monday and Tuesday too most likely.  We went from 0 statewide to 6 last night.  We have people in self quarantine because tests weren't available.  My dh's Dept of Defense workplace had a "test" stay at home workday Friday.  This morning he got a notice that the "test" is continuing all next week.  He, in fact, thinks he may go in,  some time--- he cannot do any of his normal work at home- he spent yesterday doing some mandatory annual training like anti sexual harassment, anti discrimination, etc/  Also, he read physics and did math too.  (He is working as a senior systems engineer but has a PhD in physics and does still heavily use physics and math in his current job).   But there are a lot of people in that type of situation-  Marshall Space Flight Center- another large employer here- also has telework urged. So I think all the children whose parents annoy me with their long car waiting lines at the elementary school in the next block----- and the amount of children being picked up after school is huge-- probably means that many have a parent who stays home.

I also think that the order to disallow online public school lessons will either not be followed or will lead to many educated parents deciding that their child will be learning online anyway--- I think that unlike what the State School superintented thinks-  it will lead to more, not less, disparity between students.  But who it also really hurts is the students in cities where there is already online learning happening ---like my city provides wifi connections to any school family that needs it---and I have no idea about other districts but presume that some of the other larger ones do too-  between students who will have parents who will step in and get alternative education to the kids from Khan math or whoever- to the kids in those districts that will have no teacher, no one to step in and direct the kids to teaching sites, and parents who are too tired, too uneducated themselves, don't know English so can't help the kids navigate the internet for educational sites that would help them in school here, or are too lazy, too hungover,  or too high to help.

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Do we know patients are developing immunity? I thought the idea was that the immunity was just shorter acting than for something like measles (where it's lifelong) -- it'd be more like the immunity to the flu, which lasts for a few months and makes future infections less severe. 

No, I don't think we know. I read that the Chinese said they have a reinfection rate of 14%. That is obviously not great news when it comes to immunity... But it could be those patients weren't fully recovered or some other explanation? It is definitely still an unknown as far as I can tell.

• Like 3

Hey everyone, this is important--

I've been thinking power and water would stay on.

My sister, who works in urban public water supply, just told me it is possible we might see "boil water" or "do not drink" orders in the future because they're beginning to see a shortage of disinfection chemicals available to public water suppliers. She is helping public water suppliers in her area form continuity of business plans and mutual aid agreements, with the outside possibility that some suppliers may need to shut down completely. Plan for the worst, hope for the best is how they are proceeding. 

Yikes.

I thought I was prepared, but I'm going to do a few more things in case we're on boil water or do not drink orders. She suggested two weeks of water stored at home. I really hate all the plastic associated with bottled water and don't have any in the house, but I think I'll do a combination of buying some bottled water, storing some tap water, and making sure we have a good filter and iodine tablets in the house. 

I'm interested in any input from boardies who know their way around treating water for drinking. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, TracyP said:

No, I don't think we know. I read that the Chinese said they have a reinfection rate of 14%. That is obviously not great news when it comes to immunity... But it could be those patients weren't fully recovered or some other explanation? It is definitely still an unknown as far as I can tell.

I wonder if it’s as severe the second time around? Also, is it true reinfection or that they got a false negative, sent the person home, then symptoms fired up again. So many questions. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Where is the reporting in Life Care Center and their company?   2/3 of the WA deaths are at this facility.  22 of 27 in our county—and by the way, that’s a very high proportion of the residents...and not as widespread in the county as raw numbers make it seem. 

where is the reporting in this company and it’s officers and management—we as civilians have long known it was not a good place.  One of their sites was closed for medicare fraud a couple of years ago.  Where is the reporting on this???   And where are the insurance companies?  This place has been on the list of options for my MIL for the past 3 times she has needed rehab.  But they have to have known about the company’s medicare fraud.  Why would they continue to recommend this place?   Now I’m getting mad.  The reporting on this is shallow.    I’ve seen a couple of digging reports but mostly I have to do the digging.  Without being able to check reliability of reports.  
now I’m mad.  

ETA:  this company has cost this nation billions of dollars and individuals their lives and their jobs and their ... peace.  

One of the new measures announced yesterday was big increase in inspections of nursing homes and ratings and Medicare not paying for care in bad places--- This will be handled by the agency in charge of Medicare, Medicaid.  ANnounced in press conference yesterday.

Patty Joanna or GardenMom or Jean in Newcastle- do any of you know the company that runs Life Care Center???  Because dh and I are investigating company stocks we will be buying (in addition to lots and lots of money in Mutual Funds through dh's 401K and one of the areas I want to possibly invest in is elder care.

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

I wonder if it’s as severe the second time around? Also, is it true reinfection or that they got a false negative, sent the person home, then symptoms fired up again. So many questions. 

I just read something on this yesterday. The "reinfection" is often the one people die from. But, they don't know if it is a true reinfection, a new strain, a streak of false testing, or just not getting completely well. They'd  need to do genetic sequencing, I guess,to see if it is different enough. I'm waiting on the antibody test.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Hey Arctic Mama, I hope you feel more relaxed now.  

One point, though, is You do not need educating.  I am shaking my head about all those who are ignorant and don't and can;t learn.  Watching yesterday about a segment about a pancake breakfast that expects lots of people this morning.  Our governor has said  no one should have large gatherings-  my city has canceled smaller gathering that are city sponsored too as a precaution and because so many of them attract vulnerable populations.  As I watched the segment, there were lots of elderly and several talked in a manner that they do not believe this is a serious issue.  I know you have had so many serious issues lately and continue to battle serious issues.  But what you and your children and me and my children and all of us do not need is ignornace

yup.  My sister and BIL cannot convince my 82yr old dad to stop going to the Y for his Silver Sneakers exercise class.  Ugh.   They're praying that all the closures will force the point on him.  But, unfortunately, my dad tends toward conspiracy theories... ugh ugh.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/spain-counts-1-500-new-covid-19-cases-in-one-day-12538636

“MADRID: Spain confirmed more than 1,500 new cases of coronavirus between Friday (Mar 13) and Saturday (Mar 14) raising its total to 5,753 cases, the second-highest number in Europe after Italy. 

The country was expected to declare a state of emergency on Saturday to try to mobilise resources to combat the virus, which has so far killed 136 people in Spain.

Local media reported on Saturday the Spanish government is to put the country under lockdown as part of its state of emergency measures meant to combat the coronavirus.

The government will say all Spaniards must stay home except to buy food or drugs, go to the hospital, go to work or other emergencies, El Mundo reported.

The paper reports Spain's Interior Ministry will control all police forces, including local and regional ones, as part of the state of emergency.

The government said the Cabinet meeting that is due to decide on the measures was still ongoing. A news conference is expected around 1400 GMT.

On Friday said the government would adopt a series of extraordinary measures in order "to mobilise all the resources of state to better protect the health of all of its citizens".

The number of cases in Spain has increased tenfold since Sunday, and bars, restaurants and all sporting and cultural institutions have been closed.

The Madrid region, which is the country's worst-hit with nearly 3,000 cases, has ordered the closure of all non-essential businesses.

Spain recently shut down schools in several regions, suspended flights from Italy and closed the lower house of parliament for at least a week after a lawmaker tested positive for the coronavirus, in the hope of stemming a growing outbreak.

"We are working on avoiding the Italian scenario," Health Minister Salvador Illa told reporters. 

"With these measures we believe that we can avoid it. And if we have to take additional measures, we will take them."

I think the rules of staying at home that they have instituted aren't good----- Spain has a lot of open space---- going out to non crowded places to take a walk or hike is a health measure that does not put anyone at risk.  I will shortly be going out to the botanical garden and walk and look at the beautiful plants and not be close to anyone except my husband and we sleep in the same bed anyway.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

My "gut feeling" is that these reinfections have another explanation. The open question did make me wonder how that would affect vaccines. Hopefully it is a nonissue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I think the rules of staying at home that they have instituted aren't good----- Spain has a lot of open space---- going out to non crowded places to take a walk or hike is a health measure that does not put anyone at risk.  I will shortly be going out to the botanical garden and walk and look at the beautiful plants and not be close to anyone except my husband and we sleep in the same bed anyway.  

the UW has a large arboretum - they've closed it.  though dh and I did go to a small park that overlooks Puget sound on Monday.  kinda cold . .. . 

dd's coworker has a friend in Italy.  the Italian friend went for a bike ride- and got a 500 euro fine for being outdoors.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

yup.  My sister and BIL cannot convince my 82yr old dad to stop going to the Y for his Silver Sneakers exercise class.  Ugh.   They're praying that all the closures will force the point on him.  But, unfortunately, my dad tends toward conspiracy theories... ugh ugh.  

I really wish the community center would shut down for this reason. They are leaving it up to individual teachers. Most of us who teach children's programs follow the school districts and have cancelled, but the senior classes are still going on. At least by getting the school age kids our of the building, that should reduce their exposure, but it still seems like the city should shut down the building.

• Like 3

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Here’s what I’m going to cover in this article, with lots of charts, data and models with plenty of sources:

• How many cases of coronavirus will there be in your area?
  • What will happen when these cases materialize?
  • What should you do?
  • When?

When you’re done reading the article, this is what you’ll take away:
The coronavirus is coming to you.
It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

(emphasis mine)

@Thatboyofmine and everyone else that is trying catch up and understand what is happening you need to read this!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

One of the new measures announced yesterday was big increase in inspections of nursing homes and ratings and Medicare not paying for care in bad places--- This will be handled by the agency in charge of Medicare, Medicaid.  ANnounced in press conference yesterday.

Patty Joanna or GardenMom or Jean in Newcastle- do any of you know the company that runs Life Care Center???  Because dh and I are investigating company stocks we will be buying (in addition to lots and lots of money in Mutual Funds through dh's 401K and one of the areas I want to possibly invest in is elder care.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Care_Centers_of_America

• Thanks 1

Italians test drug to help virus patients

"The Latest on the world's coronavirus pandemic: Italian doctors in at least two hospitals treating COVID-19 cases have started using a drug normally prescribed for people with chronic inflammatory auto-immune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis.

Dr. Paolo Ascierto, director of the immunology clinic at the Pascale Institute in Naples, told Italian state TV on Saturday that of the first six ICU patients treated with the drug, three showed significant improvement of their lung inflammation judging by CT scans. One of the six died shortly after the drug was administered.

Ascierto stressed that the drug fights the lung inflammation from pneumonia in coronavirus patients but doesn’t act on the virus itself. Italy’s government pharmaceutical regulator, AIFA, is allowing the drug to be used for compassionate purposes, since it is only officially approved in the country for use in auto-immune diseases."

Bolding mine.

Edited by RootAnn
Edited link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seasider too said:

The one place that hasn’t sent any emails regarding dealing with coronavirus is my gym. 🙄

I would love to go sit in the hot sauna - I think that and regular training would actually be a good part of a preventative regimen - but I just can’t imagine sharing space with other people where everyone is breathing hard and sweating. 

I cannot believe that it was not among the first places to close, I’d have expected gyms before libraries. 

Our gym has had a lot of members freeze their memberships. So that right there lowers the number of people at the gym. Plus now all group classes are now limited to a certain number (don’t know the exact number) and people have to specifically sign up at the front desk. They take the temperature of every staff member before letting them in each morning. And they strongly encourage people to not come if they are sick. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Acadie said:

My sister, who works in urban public water supply, just told me it is possible we might see "boil water" or "do not drink" orders in the future because they're beginning to see a shortage of disinfection chemicals available to public water suppliers. She is helping public water suppliers in her area form continuity of business plans and mutual aid agreements, with the outside possibility that some suppliers may need to shut down completely. Plan for the worst, hope for the best is how they are proceeding. 

Yikes.

I thought I was prepared, but I'm going to do a few more things in case we're on boil water or do not drink orders. She suggested two weeks of water stored at home. I really hate all the plastic associated with bottled water and don't have any in the house, but I think I'll do a combination of buying some bottled water, storing some tap water, and making sure we have a good filter and iodine tablets in the house. 

I'm interested in any input from boardies who know their way around treating water for drinking. 

I have a counter top water distiller, you can get them from Amazon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

Yikes.

We have a reverse osmosis unit, an APEC we bought off of amazon. I can’t do iodine treated water and I am hesitant to use bleach because what is in community treated water is a cousin of bleach, not bleach itself (chloramine).

• Thanks 1

My phone is acting up this morning. If public water goes down, we have both the RO unit and we have a steri-pen which uses UV light. 

It is just entirely impractical with what space we have to store two weeks of water for a family my size. We have a bit, but not that many gallons in our urban house. We could tap the water heater in a pinch.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, maize said:

I have a counter top water distiller, you can get them from Amazon.

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My phone is acting up this morning. If public water goes down, we have both the RO unit and we have a steri-pen which uses UV light. 

It is just entirely impractical with what space we have to store two weeks of water for a family my size. We have a bit, but not that many gallons in our urban house. We could tap the water heater in a pinch.

Do you use your distiller or RO unit daily for drinking water, or just in emergency? And do you add minerals back?

I use my RO daily. I do not add back minerals as I get enough from foods. I am immunocompromised and just have to be really careful about things. Boil orders aren’t always communicated well here plus there are times when I know water is being heavily treated because it smells bleach-y, so we decided to be cautious.

There are a few refrigerator filters which come close to the RO process in terms of removing contaminants. We have one and my family drinks that water because it is also pre-chilled.

• Thanks 1

Karen Kingsbury is a popular Christian author.  Her sister went public yesterday with their coronavirus ordeal.

https://www.facebook.com/susan.kingsburykane?__tn__=%2CdCH-R-R&eid=ARCxPQ0jc_8EP-R5YEzWNdujL-xv_cClItJo9Gyox9qG4S_jRWSN-QBcvC1P08FGPQKctPC4KU7c3ryr&hc_ref=ARSDeqUdKAGkOGuqAyDhYREM973Vlizi6fXlc4aXve1FHv4saxCoVa6KRRx9y7202m0&fref=nf&hc_location=group

(I'm not sure I can add the details here or if that would be a problem)

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our gym has had a lot of members freeze their memberships. So that right there lowers the number of people at the gym. Plus now all group classes are now limited to a certain number (don’t know the exact number) and people have to specifically sign up at the front desk. They take the temperature of every staff member before letting them in each morning. And they strongly encourage people to not come if they are sick. 

I was too late for March but I froze ours for April. This was on Monday and the desk lady gave me the biggest side-eye. Whatever, lady. I’m already paying for a month I’m not gonna use!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

’ve been getting frustrated with myself for getting upset about things that I had fully anticipated happening.  Dh pinpointed it: Logically, I’ve been very well-prepared.  I have not been *emotionally prepared at all.

Court in 6 days. I hope.

Thank you. This helps me too.

Logically well prepared. Not emotionally prepared at all.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pen said:

I had a brief ummm experience let’s call it with an Eastern Orthodox Church in USA, and I think that that was indeed their view: No illness or disease possible via Communion Eucharist or other Holy Rites.  

Worldwide it is a big group.  Possibly the alcohol in the wine would help inactivate virus.  But it seems like potentially a significant problem aggregating all such church parishes which believe that globally.

Yes, I have a friend who is Antiochian Orthodox.  Not only are they making no changes in the way they do Communion, they kiss relics and icons.  And are highly discouraging people from missing church.  And they have a LOT of services.  I'm worried about her.

• Sad 6

I’m about 3 pages back catching up.  It might be answered as I read further but question about meaning of “Mild” in re “mild” cases came up.  

Mild as used in China determination that 80% are mild, meant that 80% of known cases didn’t need hospital help.  They could be anything from just past “asymptomatic” (which means what it sounds like) to quite sick with pneumonia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus.html

There were probably actually many more pediatric cases which were actually what we think of as “mild” as used in normal conversation.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

The one place that hasn’t sent any emails regarding dealing with coronavirus is my gym. 🙄

I would love to go sit in the hot sauna - I think that and regular training would actually be a good part of a preventative regimen - but I just can’t imagine sharing space with other people where everyone is breathing hard and sweating. 

I cannot believe that it was not among the first places to close, I’d have expected gyms before libraries. 

My gym has sent out tons of emails and FB posts.  They've been doing extra cleaning (they were already super-clean), and the newest is they're limiting class sizes so there can be more space between people.  I still stopped going last Wed - I had been thinking of going through today, but that's when I read the article about the droplets hanging out in the air for 3 hours.  Ugh, no amount of cleaning will fix that.

Someone posted to their page this morning asking if they'd offer packages to all the college kids coming home so they could work out while here.  Ummm...  

I'm trying to work out at home, it's not the same, but sucking lots of air into my lungs around even apparently healthy people with this virus seems a veeery bad idea...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yes, I have a friend who is Antiochian Orthodox.  Not only are they making no changes in the way they do Communion, they kiss relics and icons.  And are highly discouraging people from missing church.  And they have a LOT of services.  I'm worried about her.

I'm grateful the Spanish flu was after my church went to individual disposable cups (1912).  currently, all church meetings have been cancelled.  (there are multiple materials accessible online.)

Edited by gardenmom5

51 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Wow, that’s proactive! I forgot about being able to freeze a membership. Thanks for that reminder, I’ll call today to see if I can do that. 

Yeah, that's what I did effective Monday.  I had been planning on going Thurs and today still, but then changed my mind.  We can freeze up to two months.  After that, I'll happily pay again even if I'm not personally ready to go back, because I do want to go back, and I don't want them to go out of business!!

43 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

If someone is skipped over and not intubated like in Italy, is there some kind of meds they can give so they do not suffer as much? 

Having 3 elderly people I’m worrying about, this is just crazy that we are even having to ask these questions 😭😭😭.  What in the world is happening?!?!  I had such a crappy past 2 years and I yelled out loud on New Year’s Eve that 2020 and the new decade were going to be awesome!  I was claiming it!!!  

Well...they very definitely aren’t awesome so far and it has just started 😭😭😭!!  This is all so surreal and my boys are now saying, “This is really happening, isn’t it?” 😩😩😩.  I’m staying calm and positive, but just 😩😩😩.

Edited by mlktwins
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2