Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

54 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Fair enough.

But seriously, those of us excluded from the 'most' have to be responsible for not bring other people down with our 'negativity'? 

No.  You aren't responsible for anyone else's feelings.  I do think that focusing on the bad news is not helpful to you or your health.

How can you know that you're excluded from the category of folks who will make it through?  When I read that the death rate (for instance) for persons over 80 who become infected is about 20%, that means 80% of them survive.  Doesn't it?  (Am I wrong about that?  Whenever something seems obvious to me, I have to wonder...)  And it isn't the case that everyone will be infected.  A good many of the elderly and people with serious underlying conditions will also make it through.

You have a lot to deal with, and I'm sorry you feel alone in that.  I wish you and I could sit down with mugs of tea and have a good long chat.

• Like 4

So could some verify for me if it’s true that USA had 40 confirmed Covid deaths as of yesterday at time of Declaration of National State of Emergency and is now as of 10:30 pm Pacific daylight time at 60? So up by 50% in less than 36 hours? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Thanks for posting this, @Farrar!

Original source for that graph & an article with more info if anyone wants to see it.

https://medium.com/@andreasbackhausab/coronavirus-why-its-so-deadly-in-italy-c4200a15a7bf

I needed to look for explanations for the odd proportion of cases among young adults.  The article indicates that the S. Korean outbreak was concentrated in a religious group that is mainly young adults.  I don't think we can use the S. Korean data to assume that young adults are more susceptible.  Also it is not true that S. Korea tested a large % of its population, as people seem to think.  The tested % is more like 0.4% which means we can't really draw too many conclusions about a lot of things.

• Like 2

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Coronavirus-live-updates-Bay-Area-California-cases-15100710.php

“1:38 p.m. Coronavirus testing for Grand Princess passengers: Starting this weekend, coronavirus testing will be offered to almost 900 passengers evacuated from the Grand Princess cruise ship docked in Oakland to Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman said by email Saturday.

“The federal government cannot coerce anyone to be tested,” the spokeswoman said, adding that “collecting swab samples from such a large group will take several days.”

The agency has been focused on getting quarantined passengers settled in their rooms, assigning case managers to address their needs and starting town halls by telephone Friday evening.

“We recognize this has been a stressful experience, and we remain dedicated to providing support to the passengers,” the spokeswoman said.”

2 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Shavua tov!  Did you see the video where they took down a person who was supposed to be in quarantine on the street with two police officers in hazmat suits?  They are tracking cellphones.  That's Singapore Level stuff right there.

Wow. I guess the person can be thankful it wasn't North Korea level stuff...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

So could some verify for me if it’s true that USA had 40 confirmed Covid deaths as of yesterday at time of Declaration of National State of Emergency and is now as of 10:30 pm Pacific daylight time at 60? So up by 50% in less than 36 hours? 

The different sources keep going up and down.  There was no day that had more than 8 new deaths so far.

Edited by SKL

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Coronavirus-live-updates-Bay-Area-California-cases-15100710.php

“10:00 p.m. Two UCSF health workers test positive for COVID-19: The health care workers, who have not been named, are currently under quarantine, according to a statement from a UC San Francisco spokeswoman. She said the hospital is tracking down and notifying anyone who may have been in contact with them, including patients, staff and doctors or nurses.

“We are taking every precaution to minimize the risk to other health care workers and patients, and we remain confident in the safety precautions our health care providers are taking,” the statement read. It noted that the hospital is following the San Francisco Department of Public Health’s directive to bar non-essential visitors and mandate health screenings for all employees.

6:30 p.m. UC Berkeley reports case of coronavirus: The university said that a graduate student is infected with the coronavirus but does not live on campus or in Berkeley. The person has no serious symptoms and is in self isolation.

4:50 p.m. Alterra closes Squaw, Alpine and other resorts: Alterra Mountain Co. announced it will suspend operations at its 15 North American ski resorts — including Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows in California — starting Sunday, until further notice.

4:45 p.m. Vail resorts closing ski resorts in Tahoe, elsewhere: Vail Resorts said it will suspend operations of all its North American mountain resorts beginning March 15 through March 22. The company operates the Tahoe-area resorts of Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar in California.”

19 minutes ago, StellaM said:

A complicating issue when you are high risk with lung issues, is that you don't have lung function to spare. Disability is also a risk.  So it's not just death, but also the risk of being unable to live a somewhat normal life upon 'recovery'. We also don't know how the virus will impact on the underlying lung disease; for people with lung disease, it seems likely that a severe pnuemonia will worsen the damage present already. Future fibrosis is another scary possibility.

You make a good point.  There is so much we just don't know yet.  I'm very sorry that you must deal with this worry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I have debated posting but going for it.

Little bit of context to go with the U.K. decisions.  Not sure I really agree with any of them but sort of get how they were made.  My family’s village is in the north and the area known nationally for having the worst services and management,  possibly in the entire country.   Lots of coal mine poverty.  I am speaking from what I know from living there for many years......other places may be different but for most pretty close.

First, our village has a fairly high percentage of elderly.  Many live in homes they bought in the 1970’s .  Sort of congregated together.

Generations do not leave the basic area........Grandparents and great grandparents are the afterschool and holiday care for most.  A school closure will mean that many of those people will take those kids for the duration.  It’s  one of the things I love about the culture but can see how it. Is going to stress the hospitals because theelderly  are all going to be exposed. ........I actually think they have a point about putting it off as long as possible.  

The elderly,  on a humorous note I keep thinking of all the free bus passes not in use.  They keep moving the age but around 70 you get a free bus pass anywhere in the country and they are used.  The busses from 10 to 3 are sort of old people party buses with people chatting all over, a social gathering.   Kids on busses too if schools close so the mix would not be great even for those not watching grand kids.   It’s sad to think of them shutting themselves in and probably somewhat voluntary.........neighbors are still going to have a good chat pegging their clothing out on nice mornings....if it isn’t raining it qualifies as nice.  Grocery delivery etc with a volunteer force I think will work assuming they have enough volunteers.  These people are all of a WWII mindset and many are going to burn up the phone lines and “do their part”.  Personally this one brings me comfort in the fact I am not going to have to worry about some elderly friends quite as much!

So, is this over-70 isolation thing in the UK an official policy?  I thought it was a rumor from a tabloid journalist.

Re school lunches - schools in our area (all closed) are providing free breakfasts and lunches in various ways.  The big city has pickup locations at all the schools.  Another city has breakfast served at the high school and bagged lunches that you can pick up.  Another city is going to deliver meals to the homes of eligible families.

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

Re school lunches - schools in our area (all closed) are providing free breakfasts and lunches in various ways.  The big city has pickup locations at all the schools.  Another city has breakfast served at the high school and bagged lunches that you can pick up.  Another city is going to deliver meals to the homes of eligible families.

I just read the plan for food in our city as well. Over half the students qualify for free or reduced meals. They will be providing breakfast and lunch at different school sites; kind of like a drive-in. No one gets out of the car. The children must be present (in the vehicle) in order to receive a meal for each.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pen said:

Bno has deaths at 57 but they dont update for a while in the afternoons 

5 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Shavua tov!  Did you see the video where they took down a person who was supposed to be in quarantine on the street with two police officers in hazmat suits?  They are tracking cellphones.  That's Singapore Level stuff right there.

Shavua tov!  I did not see that video (ETA: just saw it, wow!) and haven't seen any increased police presence yet, although apparently they are out there breaking up large groups.   There is a lot of pushback on the cellphone thing but I strongly suspect they are going to do it anyway.  There was one guy in Or Yehuda a couple of weeks ago who lied to the Health Ministry about his whereabouts and then spread the virus to a couple of others, including an IDF soldier.   Israelis are obviously not Singaporeans wrt their relationship to authority (understatement) but this is a small, albeit crowded country with high levels of social cohesion, so it really does seem to me that they should be able to get this under control.  I am considerably more anxious about what's going on in the US right now,

The government is also setting up medical facilities for people who have the virus but are not that sick.   Again, crowded country with lots of people in apartments so hard to quarantine effectively at home.  Israel also has some of the worst hospital beds: citizen ratios in the developed world thanks to decades of neglect so it wouldn't take much at all to overwhelm the hospitals.

Netanyahu's trial is going to be postponed and if he manages to pull this off he will not only stay out of jail but will likely stay in power, so he has some pretty powerful personal motivations to control this thing, too.

We haven't been outside yet today.  I hear construction outside so presumably not everything is shut down yet, but I can't imagine it won't be in a few days.

Lewelma, so so happy you have your boy back home!  And StellaM, thinking especially of you.  These are hard times.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kiro7.com/news/local/coronavirus-gov-jay-inslee-expands-school-closure-order-all-k-12-schools-statewide/XIDPHMLVOJAAREQ5YCL75367PU/%3foutputType=amp

3 new deaths Saturday in King County Washington.  35 deaths total for the county. 387 positive cases. 

642 cases statewide  at least 40 deaths statewide  (The article said “at least” so I assume that is because they haven’t always known until testing after someone already died  

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

@Arcadia, San Mateo is doing some smart things today. San Mateo County health department announced Saturday evening that it is banning gatherings of more than 50 people for three weeks starting on Sunday. The order also advises against get togethers of more than 10 people. These drastic measures would have been helpful in Santa Clara 3 weeks ago 😞  https://cmo.smcgov.org/sites/cmo.smcgov.org/files/Mass Gathering Order Amended FINAL.pdf

• Like 3

Abc:  First recorded Queensland coronavirus death

Queensland Health has said a 77-year-old woman who died from coronavirus in New South Wales on Friday is from Noosaville.

This makes her the state's first recorded death.

Authorities say she became ill on a flight to Sydney.

Queensland has 62 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

• Sad 2

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/herd-immunity-why-britain-is-actually-letting-the-coronavirus-spread-20200315-p54a5h.html

explanation of the theory uk is operating on right now.  I can see the logic but I don’t think we really have the ability to shield the vulnerable to that degree without vaccination.  Even with vaccination we get flu outbreaks in nursing homes.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1239063786306191360

Beijing right now

pretty pics but useful to keep in mind that what “getting back to normal” in China looks like is still more strict than we have here yet 

edited to add make sure to scroll down to the videos under the pics also 

Edited by Ausmumof3

I don’t think I saw it mentioned, but more counties in PA are now urged to close all non-essential businesses. I suspect that will continue to expand.
Over the border, NJ had stopped new jury trial cases, and decided yesterday to suspend most municipal cases. I’m a wreck worrying about county schedules. Court in 5 days.

My grandmother’s care facility is taking “reservations” for people to video call residents, which is terrific. I won’t be calling because Grandma has no idea who I am, but her kids will.

I think dd’s EMT class will be canceled. They canceled next week’s classes, and ambulances have restricted who can get on. She’s the only one in her class who’s already met her patient contact requirements.  They’re halfway through the course.

I did a Walmart pick up yesterday. The pick up lot was more crowded than usual, but not insane. The parking lot, however, was less full than it’s ever been when I’ve popped in on a weekday afternoon, which seemed REALLY weird.

Dh ran to Verizon because dd’s cell phone crapped out. Just in time, it seems!  Now we’re basically self-quarantined unless dh goes to his (private) office now and then.

If we get the kiddos in this court case, I have to figure out a whole new game plan. No school. Potentially limited shopping for whatever they need. No idea if I’ll be able to access therapeutic evals and services. And we’ll need to cope not only with the trauma of another move, but of small kids experiencing THIS traumatic event.

I’m pretty stressed, lol. I think I’m going to spend today power cleaning to scrub out my frustrations!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t think I saw it mentioned, but more counties in PA are now urged to close all non-essential businesses. I suspect that will continue to expand.
Over the border, NJ had stopped new jury trial cases, and decided yesterday to suspend most municipal cases. I’m a wreck worrying about county schedules. Court in 5 days.

My grandmother’s care facility is taking “reservations” for people to video call residents, which is terrific. I won’t be calling because Grandma has no idea who I am, but her kids will.

I think dd’s EMT class will be canceled. They canceled next week’s classes, and ambulances have restricted who can get on. She’s the only one in her class who’s already met her patient contact requirements.  They’re halfway through the course.

I did a Walmart pick up yesterday. The pick up lot was more crowded than usual, but not insane. The parking lot, however, was less full than it’s ever been when I’ve popped in on a weekday afternoon, which seemed REALLY weird.

Dh ran to Verizon because dd’s cell phone crapped out. Just in time, it seems!  Now we’re basically self-quarantined unless dh goes to his (private) office now and then.

If we get the kiddos in this court case, I have to figure out a whole new game plan. No school. Potentially limited shopping for whatever they need. No idea if I’ll be able to access therapeutic evals and services. And we’ll need to cope not only with the trauma of another move, but of small kids experiencing THIS traumatic event.

I’m pretty stressed, lol. I think I’m going to spend today power cleaning to scrub out my frustrations!

Really hope everything goes smoothly and you get the kids safe

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StellaM said:

I'm drowning today. 

Just...no-one can tell me how I am supposed to manage my own high risk,  a 60% drop in income, and the kids' dad's sudden at-home dialysis, when I have to go to work in the schools they won't close, with the kids parents won't keep home, and then not get frustrated when posters come in and spread harmful advice. The new thread, someone already said it was just for people with options. 

hug, jugs, and more hugs to you,   It is so frustrating, angering, exasperating, sad, etc when one is having really tough circumstances and people say cruel things or spout wrong solutions or advice.  I know personally how tough that is and I didn't have that much of a financial drop but unfortunately those super tough situations happened several times.  Each time, they very negatively affected my health.  I don't have an answer of how to protect your health for coronavirus but prayer, meditation,relaxation, immersion in books, walking in nature, etc can help.  Apparently, so can LSD and magic mushrooms------break PTSD, etc/  

i am praying for you.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

It's ten days. I made a mistake and thought it was this week, but it's next week.

Just taking the Vit D. 1000 whatever the measurement is. 

Thinking about putting my bag on the bus/train seat next to me, as I read that one transport option that may be in force down the line is one person to a seat, not two.

It's terribly rude, and I'd remove it for an elderly person and try to stand as far away as I could from the nearest person, but I might do it anyway as it imposes some distance.

I cancelled all tutoring students last week, am shifting one more to online this week, in order to cut down 6 extra trips plus exposure to three different families.

I've got disposable gloves to wear on transport and I've worked out ways to not touch potentially contaminated surfaces (taps, door handles, desks) with my hands at work.

My homeschool class has been told that students who are unwell at all cannot attend, whether with COVID symptoms or not. 

I think I am probably doing what I can. 

Do your buses still have windows that open?  Most of our new ones don’t but the older ones do.

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

ABC:  Spanish PM's wife tests positive

Spain has been the big story this morning when it comes to corona virus and now the wife of Spanish PM Pedro Sanchez has tested positive.

Begoña Gómez was confirmed positive shortly after the PM spoke this morning after Spain's death toll rose by over 70 in the 24-hour period.

Isn't it a strange coincidence:>?  Two wives of PMs of different countries have corona virus now.

2 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Isn't it a strange coincidence:>?  Two wives of PMs of different countries have corona virus now.

I think it’s not that surprising that politicians are getting it because they do a lot of travelling and shake a lot of hands.  It’s funny that the wives pick it up first though 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

ABC:

World case numbers

A few of you have asked for world numbers so here are some of what might be most relevant to you all.

Worldwide cases: 156,112

Worldwide recovered: 73,995

Worldwide deaths: 5,829

China cases: 80,990 - deaths: 3,203

Italy cases: 21,157, deaths 1,441

Iran cases: 12,729, deaths 611

Spain cases: 6,391, deaths 195

France cases: 4,480, deaths 91

Germany cases: 4,585, deaths 9

USA cases 2,726, deaths 54

UK cases: 1,143, deaths 21

These are the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University

I am interested in what is the reason for the highly different death rates in France and Germany?  Any ideas or news about that?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, StellaM said:

So, from the garbled something the AU PM said today, it looks like they will be following the UK option for schools - basically let them operate as an infection factory, so that most of the kids get it, and get some immunity. 

I know of at least three students in my own classes who should be immediately withdrawn and home instruction provided if this is the case. They simply cannot be used in an experiment like this. It's unethical.

I do wish it would be clearly stated that this is policy (if it is - it was hard to navigate some of the more garbled bits).

That is what they said but I don’t think that’s what they’re doing.  They said the decision would be reviewed on Friday.  To me they will close schools next week but they want to give people time to get their head around what’s happening and realise it’s necessary.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I am interested in what is the reason for the highly different death rates in France and Germany?  Any ideas or news about that?

Same.  Someone upthread mentioned Germany doing more widespread testing.  So they may be catching cases earlier and more throughly.  It may also be a timeline thing that more people die as time goes by and I think France started accelerating earlier (other than Germany being the first to have community spread)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with better/worse hospitals or a significant difference in age/health of population.

My best guess is that Germany has been doing a lot of tests and tracing of contacts from the very beginning. I remember one case in which some young person without any reason to suspect Covid-19 was tested as a matter of routine and identified as infected. He was a student and had loads of contacts. Pretty sure they went ahead and isolated / tested all they could find. So maybe 20+ cases were found (I don't know numbers, just a guess). Many of these were probably just mild cases that might have not been identified at all. Even if some of them turn serious/lead to death there would be quite a delay between identification of a case very early on and possible death maybe 2+ weeks later (as opposed to only counting a case when someone shows up in the ER already very sick).

So I think in the end the death rates of Germany and France should be fairly similar (provided enough people get tested). Of course more clusters can be stopped by early detection so possibly the total number can be kept down in Germany (or at least spread out over time) which might lead to lower death rates than in places with overburdened hospitals etc. (i.e. Italy). Obviously, that can change as sometimes clusters are identified too late even with quite a bit of testing.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I have an odd personal theory.

Height matters.  Eyes nose mouth lower down have more contact with microscopic droplets falling from taller mouths .  Course that would not account for the basketball players with it. 

So probably just coincidence.

Or maybe the women have closer social distance or were still Social kissing more recently. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Regardless of your political affinity ...

@Pen@Pawz4me@Acadie@Aura

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/how-the-u-s-plans-to-speed-up-coronavirus-testing/2254625/

““Using federal emergency authorities, the FDA approved a new test for the virus,” President Trump said during a press conference on Friday. As a result, Mr. Trump said nearly 2 million additional tests will become available in the U.S. next week. 

“Five million within a month,” he added. “I doubt we’ll need anywhere near that.”

With a total population of more than 329 million people, the U.S. has only performed just over 16,000 coronavirus tests, according to the last count from the Centers for Disease Control. That figure, however, does not reflect the actual number of patients tested for the virus since a single patient may have had to undergo more than one test in order to be properly diagnosed.

On Friday, Trump announced a partnership with America’s big box retailers that would allow the federal government to setup drive-thru testing centers in store parking lots across the country, including Walmart, Target, CVS, and Walgreens.

“We were eager to do our part to help serve the country,” said Doug McMillion, Walmart President and CEO. “We’ve been asked to make portions of our parking lot available in select locations in the beginning, and scaling over time as supply increases, so that people can experience the drive-thru experience.”

During the White House press conference on Friday, the Trump administration also announced a new screening website, designed by Google, that will soon allow patients to answer questions about their symptoms and, if deemed necessary, users would then be directed to the nearest testing site where results could be provided in 24 to 36 hours.

Trump attributed the future surge in coronavirus tests to the FDA’s expedited approval of a new type of test designed by Roche, a healthcare research company.

“We did this within hours after receiving the application from Roche,” Trump said. “A process that would normally take weeks.”

Up until recently, the U.S. largely relied on the CDC to test people for the coronavirus. The agency created America’s test for the virus, which it then distributed to public health labs across the country. In the wake of overwhelming demand, however, universities and private labs, including Quest Diagnostics and LabCorps, have since designed their own tests to diagnose even more patients. 

“We expect to be able to perform 10,000 tests a day by the end of next week and 20,000 tests a day by the end of the month,” Quest Diagnostics spokesperson Rachel Carr said in a statement. “Assuming there are no delays or shortages of necessary materials and supplies, commercial capacity is expected to exceed 280,000 tests per week by April 1.”

LabCorps tells NBC Bay Area the company can now test several thousand people a day, but did not provide a more detailed figure.”

ETA:

“Google is not working with the US government in building a nationwide website to help people determine whether and how to get a novel coronavirus test, despite what President Donald Trump said in the course of issuing an emergency declaration for the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, a much smaller trial website made by another division of Alphabet, Google’s parent company, is going up. It will only be able to direct people to testing facilities in the Bay Area.”https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/21179118/google-coronavirus-testing-screening-website-drive-thru-covid-19

[tongue-in-cheek] Are we in Mercury Retrograde? Seriously, what is with the lack of communication?! I suppose it's a bureaucratic thing, cause it's definitely worse the further up the chain you go. State and local folks are doing much better. But there's been a serious lack of communication between people/offices and often what's being said at the higher levels simply isn't getting carried through on down the chain. There are multiple disruptions along the lines of communication and with things actually getting done.

6 hours ago, Pen said:

I found 41 deaths on Mar 12,  49 on Mar 13, and 57 on Mar 14. Those are the accumulative totals.

Daily new deaths: 3 on Mar 12, 8 on Mar 13, and 8 on Mar 14

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Aura said:

[tongue-in-cheek] Are we in Mercury Retrograde? Seriously, what is with the lack of communication?! I suppose it's a bureaucratic thing, cause it's definitely worse the further up the chain you go. State and local folks are doing much better. But there's been a serious lack of communication between people/offices and often what's being said at the higher levels simply isn't getting carried through on down the chain. There are multiple disruptions along the lines of communication and with things actually getting done.

It appears that CNBC has a bit more information than The Verge.  

Though you clearly seem correct about information disruptions.  Obviously even here in these threads several of us can look at same info and reach different conclusions, including sometimes we (me included) simply make a mistake.  I am inclined to put more faith in CNBC than Verge but 🤷‍♀️

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/13/google-creating-coronavirus-site-to-help-find-testing.html

CNBC quote:

Google is making a coronavirus information site to help find testing as more kits become available

PUBLISHED FRI, MAR 13 20204:03 PM EDTUPDATED FRI, MAR 13 20208:52 PM EDT

KEY POINTS
  • Alphabet Sundar Pichai said in an email to employees Thursday that Verily and Google are working on a new effort to help with coronavirus testing.
  • The company is also asking employees if they want to volunteer in the effort.
  • President Donald Trump said Friday Google has 1,700 engineers working on a website right now.

Google and its parent company Alphabet are working on a website for coronavirus testing, according the internal materials viewed by CNBC and an announcement by President Donald Trump on Friday.

The screening website from Google will be where people can fill out a questionnaire and learn how they can get a test for the coronavirus, government officials said during the press conference. The website will have options to learn about risk factors and symptoms of coronavirus.

Pichai, in an internal memo sent Thursday that was viewed by CNBC, said employees asked about whether the company could help in COVID-19 testing efforts. 

“Yesterday at TGIF, someone had a question about whether Verily could assist in the effort to test people for the COVID-19. I know we are all looking for ways to help right now, so I checked in with their team to see if they could use support from Google and our other bets for a new effort being planned,” Pichai said. “The good news is that a planning effort is underway to use the expertise in life sciences and clinical research of Verily in partnership with Google to aid in the COVID-19 testing effort in the U.S.”

Verily is Alphabet’s life sciences company.

Pichai said the company is working with governing officials to direct vulnerable patients to its Project Baseline website. It wasn’t immediately clear whether this was the same website mentioned by President Donald Trump.

“As more test kits become available, the planners are looking to develop a pathway for public health and healthcare agencies to direct people to our Baseline website, where individuals who are at higher risk can be directed to testing sites based on the latest guidance from public health authorities,” Pichai said in the memo.

Project Baseline, which says it’s “collaborating to build the next generation of healthcare tools and services” is an initiative that maps health data points used in clinical research. That research is used in collaboration with other researchers, clinicians, engineers, designers and volunteers, according to Baseline’s website.

The company-wide memo comes as Google employees — along with others in the tech industry — voice their concern about the virus and what their employer is doing to help the rapidly-spreading COVID-19 outbreak. This week, the company ordered nearly all of its global employees to work from home, including its more than 100,000 North American employees. CNBC found that a Google employee in its Bangalore, India, office tested positive for the COVID-19 Thursday and is in quarantine.

Google did not respond to multiple requests for comment. The company later said on Twitter it is developing a triage tool it will deploy near its Mountain View headquarters in California. It did not make any additional comments related to the president’s remarks

12 minutes ago, Aura said:

I found 41 deaths on Mar 12,  49 on Mar 13, and 57 on Mar 14. Those are the accumulative totals.

Daily new deaths: 3 on Mar 12, 8 on Mar 13, and 8 on Mar 14

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Thanks!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Aura said:

[tongue-in-cheek] Are we in Mercury Retrograde? Seriously, what is with the lack of communication?! I suppose it's a bureaucratic thing, cause it's definitely worse the further up the chain you go. State and local folks are doing much better. 

My county could not do their arithmetic yesterday and  had people wondering which number is off.

“12h

Correction: There are 12 new cases of COVID-19 in Santa Clara County, bringing the total cases from 79 to 91.”

“19h

Update: 17 new cases of #COVID19 in Santa Clara County. This brings the total number of cases to 91. We expect numbers to grow and urge everyone to follow Public Health recommendations.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mathnerd @Pen another cluster style spread

“KUALA LUMPUR — Malaysia reported 190 new cases of coronavirus on Sunday (March 15), most linked to a religious event at a mosque that was attended by more than 10,000 people from several countries.

The new cases bring the total number of infections in the country to 428, the health ministry said in a statement.”
https://www.todayonline.com/world/malaysia-reports-190-new-coronavirus-cases-most-linked-mosque-event

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd @Pen another cluster style spread

“KUALA LUMPUR — Malaysia reported 190 new cases of coronavirus on Sunday (March 15), most linked to a religious event at a mosque that was attended by more than 10,000 people from several countries.

The new cases bring the total number of infections in the country to 428, the health ministry said in a statement.”
https://www.todayonline.com/world/malaysia-reports-190-new-coronavirus-cases-most-linked-mosque-event

Ack! 10,000 attendees from several countries! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1