Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Just now, Pawz4me said:

I don't think any kind of lock down scenario would prevent people from going to the grocery store/drug store as needed. I worry about lots of stuff, but not that.

I don't think so either but I don't want to have to fight crazy crowds or worry about hoarders clearing out shelves like they have on TP. People are mounding their carts with stuff  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MEmama said:

. I just let my parents know; Dad responded he’d do “a bit” of grocery shopping in the morning. 

Supermarkets are changing their store hours. Check before going. 

e.g. TJ change to 9am to 7pm from tomorrow onwards

9796A43F-317D-4369-9628-C81A9F89C3D7.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

I have a question, if anybody knows:

What is the absolute earliest date that Covid19 might have been in the USA? I have heard of November to January, as far as anecdotal accounts of severe flu-that-wasn't-the-flu and took a long time to shake.

The reason I ask is because in April/May, I had all the symptoms. Fever, dry cough, and regular cold symptoms including stuffy/runny nose but that part ended in less than two weeks and was mild. In the second week, the illness progressed to a bad lower respiratory infection that didn't show as bronchitis or anything specific, I never got a chest x-ray but three kinds of antibiotics didn't touch it, and it took me over two months to shake it. I wasn't hospitalized because while I was short of breath, I could breathe and even get some sleep if I was propped up. But it was absolutely ghastly and I missed three of my kids' high school and college graduation ceremonies, with an illness that I'd contracted two months before. And then I had diminished lung function for about six months -- couldn't sing, and got winded sometimes when walking. 

Is there any chance this has been here that long?

the earliest this was in China was November of 2019.  The earliest this *could have been*   in the US was Dec. of 2019.  We know it was in in January  -  US patient zero was china, and hospitalized about 45 minutes north of me.

April and May last year would have been something else.

• Like 2

US rhetoric changed today. I just finished watching the highlights of broadcast tv today—cbs, abc, nbc, cnn—at some point on each channel a pundit mentioned the benefits of a national quarantine.

I am still mulling what I think and feel about that, but it is a shift. Several weeks ago I mentioned how odd it was that nothing was being said about Coronavirus in the news. Now it is consuming 90% of the news and it is of note when they hit the same talking points.

• Like 7

Lang Syne—it sounds like you had a bad infection, and possibly walking pneumonia. I “normally” get hit that hard with anything respiratory...6-8 weeks to recover, 6 months to be back to normal. The fact that you didn’t need breathing treatments or supplemental oxygen is encouraging. 

FYI, if you get hit that hard again, consider a chest X-ray and the pneumonia vaccines. There are two and the series takes 5 years to complete, but I haven’t had pneumonia again since I finished the series. Life changing.

• Like 3

I read that guardian article this afternoon. I think their numbers are about right but I think they will change course and have to do some closures. NHS is over capacity in normal circumstances and there will be pressure to do more when people are dying en masse like they are in Italy right now. Unfortunately, they may not be able to slow things then as the incubation period is so long.

In my state, having shut down dine-in food service and most gatherings, the governor has announced emergency unemployment provisions so affected workers can get paid.  I also saw there are new small business loans intended to tide businesses over during this situation.  I hope all this helps the people who need it most.

Also they are about to shut daycares.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 4

Thanks to all -- I'd forgotten about the exponential spread; obviously, it couldn't have been here that long ago. I'm definitely trying to keep from getting it. We are down to one worker going to a reasonably controlled job and being careful, and otherwise the family is hunkering down. I will ask about pneumonia vaccines.

• Like 1

Are others noticing price hikes?

Dh went to the store earlier this week to top off our groceries and pick up produce. Canned, bagged, and other shelf-stable items were almost all up 15-30%. I don’t know if they are paying extra in logistics to bring in extra foods and pay extra workers and they are just passing that on, or what. 

I hope supply issues sort out soon. Dh said it was rather discouraging to see so many empty shelves. 

5 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Shops pretty bare this morning. 

People on low incomes are going to be struggling with food security already, as only big brands left for many staples. 

My (ordinary) shop cost me $100 more than usual, because the only options left for many basics were the $$ brands. 

Rice (none - a problem for a celiac) toilet paper (none) soap (none) - tinned food, frozen food, meat, dishwashing liquid and laundry liquid, condiments, flours, some fresh vegetables, frozen vegetables all vastly reduced on the shelves - $ options only left. We shopped at 9am.

Worryingly, the gluten free products are starting to run low also. I guess ds can live on potatoes if it comes to it.

GF alternatives for complex carbohydrates -- I'm sure you know, as a diagnosed celiac, but I thought I'd take the moment to post in case anyone needs this:

Potatoes, all varieties
Most but not all corn tortillas - we heat in a pan and use for bread, in a pinch
Some but not all cornmeal
Buckwheat flour (dedicated mill only) - might be able to order online
Winter squash and pumpkins
Quinoa
Millet 
Tapioca starch can be made into tortillas, see The Gluten Free on a Shoestring blog

Remember also, foods like custard pies can be made as puddings without crust. Peanut butter cookies can be made with just egg, sugar, and peanut butter. Check into celiac or gluten free forums and FB groups for no-specific-ingredient recipes and ideas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I agree.  I'm close to 6' tall and all my sons are over 6 feet.  

Well it did say that short people are more likely to doe of heart attacks.

I don't know what it means for average people.  But who cares?  Because all my tall uncles and my average dad died from heart attacks. I don't know how tall my one gf was, but he died from cancer. My short mom died of ALS.  More likely does not mean much.  I was more likely to die of lymphoma when I was diagnosed w Sjogren's but since I have had it more than 15 years ( more than 30 actually) my risk went back down to normal. Maybe it went up a bit again when I went on biologics.  Who knows???

Your personal family history (i.e. genetics) is much more important than population wide slight increases in prevalence.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, soror said:

I don't think so either but I don't want to have to fight crazy crowds or worry about hoarders clearing out shelves like they have on TP. People are mounding their carts with stuff  

People here were doing last minute grocery top ups today after the announcement. Sprouts supermarket has notices saying not all goods will be replenished.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Yes. On paracetemol. I bought more today after taking the ibuprofen out of the 'if we get fever' kit. It was roughly 40% more. 

Panadol on Singapore stores are manufactured in Malaysia. So not all are manufactured in India.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Some projections from the UK: 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

What does everyone make of the UK response? Do you have any idea why they've settled on the "We'll just ride it out without changing much" tactic? Are they not worried about hospitals overflowing? 

experience keeps a hard school, and a fool will learn in no other.

58 minutes ago, StellaM said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5jqdmsxgwrjz6v/ICU_beds.pdf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR2vkKUC8YXDEGvMgpsa700FHx8JMkFUvRj6lMdpoWef1-fjAQGXZJ5130c

From Public Health academics re Boris Johnson's 'herd immunity' approach. Conservative modelling ? Half as many ICU beds as needed, just for the most healthy cohort 20-40yrs.

That doesn't include 40-70yr olds, so I'm not sure what would happen to them.

from both of these"

It sounds like eugenics.  they're going to be making the choices they're making now in Italy.  some people are being left to die because they can't handle the influx.  Since it's mostly "retired/pensioner/infirm"s who will die, that lowers overall costs after the virus has gone through.  (lower gov't benefits.)

think of the scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail: Bring out your dead - but I'm not dead . . . 

29 minutes ago, Plum said:

Our chamber of commerce had a press conference to address hoarding and the lines at grocery stores. They said there is plenty of food supply in the chain, they are just having trouble getting it here. The distribution centers are taking up to 6hours to fill a truck because they are so backed up. Truckers were only allowed 11hr shifts. With the state of emergency enacted, they can extend that. Truckers can rest while waiting for their truck to be filled and then head straight out. I did notice preshredded cheese was a little more money. I would guess it has more to do with logistics than price gouging. 

here grocery stores are cutting hours - and hiring more workers just so they can restock!

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/starbucks-to-close-some-cafes-move-to-to-go-model-in-rest/2254921/
“Starbucks says it's moving to a to-go model for all its stores in the U.S. and Canada for at least two weeks over concern about the new coronavirus.

The Seattle-based coffee giant said Sunday it is closing seating in its cafes and patio areas, but customers can still order at the counter, at drive-throughs or on the Starbucks app.

The company will also temporarily close stores in what it calls "high social-gathering locations," such as malls and university campuses, and it will close stores or reduce hours in areas where there are clusters of COVID-19 cases.”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

Slightly amusing story today after kind posters like @DoraBora did a little bit of CBT on me (where's the evidence?)...my dad took me shopping and the first thing he said was 'we're going to make the kids' bank accounts one to sign in case you die.' It actually made me chuckle a bit, he pulls no punches. 

Thanks, Dad!  😊

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Supermarkets are changing their store hours. Check before going. 

e.g. TJ change to 9am to 7pm from tomorrow onwards

9796A43F-317D-4369-9628-C81A9F89C3D7.jpeg

Dh said that the supermarkets here are changing hours and the first hour is only open for retirees or people with disabilities & their carers. I thought that was a good idea.

Also, wholesalers for food industry. Dh (baker) picked up some supplies there, so we'll at least be able to live off bread forever 😄

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

experience keeps a hard school, and a fool will learn in no other.

I'm afraid this is true and will be our downfall. So many older adults here are in denial about this virus. They say - it's overblown or the media is just silly and it's no worse than the flu. And so on. The very people who are in the high risk category are scorning social distancing - they are headed out shopping, eating out, etc. I don't understand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bambam said:

I'm afraid this is true and will be our downfall. So many older adults here are in denial about this virus. They say - it's overblown or the media is just silly and it's no worse than the flu. And so on. The very people who are in the high risk category are scorning social distancing - they are headed out shopping, eating out, etc. I don't understand. 

they probably think if their parents could live through the Spanish flu, it's no big deal.  But, their parents were younger than they are now.

2 hours ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

I have a question, if anybody knows:

What is the absolute earliest date that Covid19 might have been in the USA? I have heard of November to January, as far as anecdotal accounts of severe flu-that-wasn't-the-flu and took a long time to shake.

The reason I ask is because in April/May, I had all the symptoms. Fever, dry cough, and regular cold symptoms including stuffy/runny nose but that part ended in less than two weeks and was mild. In the second week, the illness progressed to a bad lower respiratory infection that didn't show as bronchitis or anything specific, I never got a chest x-ray but three kinds of antibiotics didn't touch it, and it took me over two months to shake it. I wasn't hospitalized because while I was short of breath, I could breathe and even get some sleep if I was propped up. But it was absolutely ghastly and I missed three of my kids' high school and college graduation ceremonies, with an illness that I'd contracted two months before. And then I had diminished lung function for about six months -- couldn't sing, and got winded sometimes when walking. 

Is there any chance this has been here that long?

Last April my son was hospitalized with a nasty version of human-metapneumo virus. It’s another “common cold” virus but last year’s version was something else. We know exactly what it was because they sent out a full viral panel when the flu swabs came back negative. I heard a lot of stories of people with a rough virus around that time and I’m convinced that it was the same as what he had. 

ETA: Reading your post again and adding some details. Antibiotics didn’t help because you probably had viral pneumonia. Ds was on oxygen for a month after he was discharged. It was a looonnnnng recovery.  

Edited by sassenach
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, SKL said:

Well I'm glad they will allow carry-out.  I hope people use it!

i think lots will.  After all , many people don't know how to cook.  They will miss the food from their favorite places,  I think the places that will lose business are maybe the places whose client were not tech savy, elderly people. 

I realized today I'm inadvertently one of the toilet paper hoarders.  We got down to only one roll left in our package in the bathroom, so I went hunting.  I knew there was a 12 pack in the pantry, but then I discovered there was also a 12 pack in each of the cars.  

Oops.  

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Older people, in general, do not value safety as much as younger people. They value autonomy, agency, routine, and family. They would rather live as they choose than live longer. 

I think we should respect that their decisions and priorities are different than what we desire for them. This is THE issue in elder care in general. Safety vs autonomy. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@Pen@MEmama@mathnerd
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/east-bay-hospitals-delay-elective-surgeries-during-covid-19-surge/2254990/
“Health officials from Kaiser Permanente and John Muir Health medical facilities in the East Bay said Sunday their four hospitals are ready for a surge of COVID-19 coronavirus patients, and in fact expect an "accelerated spread" of cases in the coming weeks.

To help ensure there are enough beds and enough staff to handle the anticipated surge, executives from both Kaiser and John Muir said during an hour-long telephone news conference Sunday that, starting Monday, there will be a moratorium of at least two weeks on elective surgeries at their four East Bay hospitals. They also implored people with only mild symptoms of what could be coronavirus not to inundate emergency rooms, but to instead call their primary-care doctors first.

"We prefer that people with mild-to-moderate symptoms to not go to the emergency room -- we don't have that capacity," said Dr. Russell Rodriguez, medical director of John Muir Health's emergency departments. John Muir Health operates hospitals in Walnut Creek and Concord.

Rodriguez and Marty Ardron, Kaiser's senior vice president and area manager of health giant's Diablo Service Area covering east and central Contra Costa County and the Tri-Valley area of Alameda County, both said their medical teams have been performing drills to be ready for a patient surge.

"We're confident we can handle the load of treating these patients ... while keeping doctors and patients safe," Ardron said.

Both Ardron and Rodriguez, as well as health officials from Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, said there are enough COVID-19 tests available for patients who are showing serious symptoms - fever, cough, breathing problems - that are hallmarks of coronavirus. And they're glad to have them, as they all said they expect a surge of patients in the next several weeks - even if 85 percent of confirmed cases are considered "mild."

"We're still trying to really understand what the fatality rate is," said Dr. Erica Pan, Alameda County's health officer. "As testing expands, we'll know more.”

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

they probably think if their parents could live through the Spanish flu, it's no big deal.  But, their parents were younger than they are now.

Also- someone up thread (or maybe in one of the other threads) said that the elderly aren’t afraid to die. But someone correct me if I’m wrong, but this doesn’t sound at all like a nice painless way to die. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Like 4

Our Area food pantry has changed to meals on wheels type delivery with no direct contact between driver and recipient. Or to pick ups , but no go in and browse or food kitchen group meals.  Donations can be by drive up, drop off and leave without close contact at our closest Good Will, which can get items to Food Pantry or elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Also- someone up thread (or maybe in one of the other threads) that the elderly aren’t afraid to die. But someone correct me if I’m wrong, but this doesn’t sound at all like a nice painless way to die. 

No, it sounds like an awful way to die.  And a horribly traumatic thing for the whole family.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Plum said:

My son said his Starbucks is down 33%. I was a little surprised. He works at a busy one. 

People working from home and students studying from home probably meant less pedestrian traffic. The Starbucks inside my nearest Safeway has less customers now that school is closed and people are working from home.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Older people, in general, do not value safety as much as younger people. They value autonomy, agency, routine, and family. They would rather live as they choose than live longer. 

I think we should respect that their decisions and priorities are different than what we desire for them. This is THE issue in elder care in general. Safety vs autonomy. 

Vogue's take on it is that Baby Boomers are in denial over being old

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/coronavirus-amazon-says-items-out-of-stock-deliveries-delayed.html

“Amazon warned it’s experiencing Prime delivery days and running out of stock of popular household items amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The issues are a result of a “dramatic increase in the rate that people are shopping online,” Amazon said in a blog post that was updated on Saturday. Some popular brands and items in the “household staples” categories were out of stock, while Amazon said some of its “delivery promises are longer than usual.”

“In the short term this is having an impact on how we serve our customers,” Amazon said in the blog post. “We are working around the clock with our selling partners to ensure availability on all of our products, and bring on additional capacity to deliver all of your orders.”

Amazon added a notice to the top of its marketplace this weekend that reads: “Inventory and delivery may be temporarily unavailable due to increased demand. Confirm availability at checkout.”

Meanwhile, a quick scan for in-demand items like toilet paper and bottled water showed that many listings were out of stock. Amazon’s normally speedy one-day and two-day delivery options also showed delays of several days. After adding an item to the shopping basket, Amazon said the order would arrive within four days.”

Target has cancelled multiple orders on me several days after the orders were confirmed. At first, they pushed the delivery date back and then were apparently completely unable to fulfill the orders. This has happened on multiple orders from Target. I cannot even place an Amazon Prime Now order. All the delivery windows are full. Costco has been the only way that I've been able to get deliveries (via Instacart), but you have to order several days out. Today, they are taking deliveries for Thursday.

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

😞

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid-19-italy-death-toll-12540988

“ROME: Italy on Sunday (Mar 15) reported a one-day record death toll and leaders warned of a bed and artificial respirator shortage in the European epicentre of the coronavirus pandemic.

Official data showed the number of fatalities shooting up by 368 to 1,809 - more than half of all the cases recorded outside China.

... Milan's Lombardy region governor Attilio Fontana said the situation in areas around Italy's financial capital was "getting worse".

"We are close to the point where we will no longer be able to resuscitate people because we will be out of intensive care unit beds," Fontana told Italy's Sky TG24 channel.

"We need those machines (doctors) use to ventilate lungs, artificial respirators that unfortunately we cannot find," Fontana said.

"As soon as those respirators arrive from abroad, we will be ready to go on the attack."

The Lombardy region has recorded 1,218 of the deaths officially attributed to COVID-19 over the past three weeks - more than the rest of Europe combined.

The region of 10 million - slightly smaller but more economically productive than neighbouring Switzerland to the north - also has 13,272 reported infections and 767 people in intensive care.

Milan mayor Beppe Sala said he had managed to secure shipments of surgical masks from China to help cover a growing shortage.

"Milan has always had excellent relations with the main Chinese cities and I made a few phone calls over the past few days in search of masks," the Milan mayor said 

"The first shipment arrived (Friday) and we will now distribute them to doctors, to our staff."

European Commission also announced the imminent delivery of one million masks from Germany.

... Lombardy welfare councillor Giulio told reporters on Saturday that "there are no more ambulances" in areas around Milan.

The governor of Venice's Veneto region to the east also called on "everyone to remain in isolation" to avoid putting hospitals under further strain.

"If you do not follow the rules, the health system will crash and I will have to impose a curfew," Veneto governor Luca Zaia warned.”

This is awful.

Im trying to understand “no more ambulances” — like the sentence about laundries the other day it seems like it was just said with out elaborating.

it left me wondering what happened to the ambulances? Impossible to clean? Stuffed with dead bodies? Crashed? Driven so much they wore out? 

2 hours ago, soror said:

I went in for milk eggs and bread today and came out with a huge cartful of groceries.  People may have thought I was panicking.  It was actually more that I realized that with school out, I’d have three teenagers home all day, and they eat a lot 😳. For some reason they eat way more when they’re home, than when they eat before school or pack for lunch.

• Like 7

So far as long as not for the high volume Covid items, my Amazon orders have been coming pretty well (we only get 2 day expedited Prime shipping at best, and I’ve been choosing to group for my Prime Day if I don’t need it sooner.  ) some delays and errors, but not out of ordinary range. Today though I wanted to get a box of our favorite gluten free crackers and got a message that there’s a quantity limit, and I already had reached it earlier in the month, I guess. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bambam said:

33 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I agree with this so much. As someone who is 47 I don’t feel it or deep-down understand it, but I see it play out over and over.  They would rather engage in what I would call risky behavior than have their ability to do what they want taken away. 

I do respect that they feel that way, even if I am not in that boat yet. I am old enough to understand that some feelings are specific to certain age groups or life situations and people not in that age group or life situation might not get it.

At the same time, I’m glad that leaders are starting to force the issue and make people stay home who might normally not stay home, for the safety of all. 

19 minutes ago, Plum said:

My son said his Starbucks is down 33%. I was a little surprised. He works at a busy one. 

My sons both work at our local McDonalds and said it was as dead in there today as on Christmas Eve (a very dead night.). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/evergreenhealth-doctor-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-in-critical-condition/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Emergency room doctor in Seattle in critical condition.

Mostly staying away from the news today and rearranging my pantry so I’m not buying stuff we already have

And  the article says also another emergency room doctor  in Patterson, NJ.

Edited by Pen
  • Sad 4

32 minutes ago, Pen said:

Our Area food pantry has changed to meals on wheels type delivery with no direct contact between driver and recipient. Or to pick ups , but no go in and browse or food kitchen group meals.  Donations can be by drive up, drop off and leave without close contact at our closest Good Will, which can get items to Food Pantry or elsewhere. 

We're doing the same thing here.  I'm glad, too, because most of our volunteers are retired folks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Vogue's take on it is that Baby Boomers are in denial over being old

I think that’s a little dismissive though. If we call it denial, we are saying that their thinking is wrong. I don’t think that’s true. I think their priorities are different. This has been studied at length. Being Mortal is an excellent book that tackles the subject. 

• Like 5