Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

24 minutes ago, Selkie said:

The Illinois governor says they are “looking seriously” at closing bars and restaurants.

I hope they won't close restaurants.  They can have restaurants do only online orders and drive through orders. I am writing this as I wait for my Japanese Steak dinner to arrive from a Japanese restaurant.

• Like 4

I think some of the denial is attitudes people have that this is only dangerous for old people (or those with health problems.)

while those have been the majority of cases - it's not all of them.  there was one place where they had 300 critical patients - half of them were under 60.  (sorry - I didn't save the link.)   but I am seeing a lot of "it's only dangerous for old people".   there have been over 30 deaths from the nursing home in Kirkland. all older/underlying health problems.  I foresee that changing.

and with the Spanish flu, it mutated so the second wave was much more deadly for younger people than the first wave.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Our governor just announced that he's considering closing the schools FOR THE REST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR!!

I'm feeling super sad today. My son checked his emails and said, "Mr M is complaining because nobody came to the club meeting. He wrote a really angry email to all the club members." The club has mostly older members. DS has missed the past few months because of other obligations and he was planning to go this month, but he has a cold and decided not to go. An email went out and most responses were that it was best to cancel. Apparently Mr M didn't see the email. Mr M is a Vietnam vet whose kidney was damaged from the war and he has been waiting years and years for a transplant. He went for his daily 4 hour (!) dialysis, then went to a friend's funeral, and drove quite a distance to the meeting. He was really upset that nobody else showed up. I told DS that I would extend quite a bit of grace to Mr M since it seemed he had a really bad day, missed the email, and was probably really looking forward to a fun evening at the club meeting. It was probably very disappointing. I feel like crying every time I think about Mr M sitting there alone at the club meeting after his crappy day.😭 The guy never seems to catch a break.

What state?

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus.amp.html

The elderly are not the only people affected.  Most likely to die, yes.  But “mild” cases can be very significant, even perhaps long term debilitating.  It is hard to know for an illness that has only existed for a few months 

If the bars etc stay open Some of the workers may not be able to come back due to permanent health problems.  

I am trying to retain my cool about the if it’s already bad let’s just do basically nothing attitude you are promoting!  

I think you think you have the best interests of the waitresses etc in mind, but I think you are totally wrong. 😷

yes - this virus attacks the lungs, and they are seeing indications of permanent lung damage.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, TravelingChris said:

I hope they won't close restaurants.  They can have restaurants do only online orders and drive through orders. I am writing this as I wait for my Japanese Steak dinner to arrive from a Japanese restaurant.

@SKL but this could be a good compromise that I could feel okay about.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

I think some of the denial is attitudes people have that this is only dangerous for old people (or those with health problems.)

while those have been the majority of cases - it's not all of them.  there was one place where they had 300 critical patients - half of them were under 60.  (sorry - I didn't save the link.)   but I am seeing a lot of "it's only dangerous for old people".   there have been over 30 deaths from the nursing home in Kirkland. all older/underlying health problems.  I foresee that changing.

and with the Spanish flu, it mutated so the second wave was much more deadly for younger people than the first wave.

Well, additionally, even if it doesn’t mutate to directly kill more children and teens, if hospitals are overwhelmed and doctors, nurses, EMTs, firefighters, etc are sick and dying there are almost certainly going to be more deaths in younger persons who won’t have help for non directly Covid related reasons

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, SKL said:

Also they are saying schools might not reopen at all this year.  That part does not really surprise me.  It will be interesting to see how they do graduations etc.  Sad for kids who were in their last year at whatever school.

I am worried about how much this affects high school kids who depend on their schools for preparation for the SAT/AP or something else equally important for college admissions and the disruption in school might affect the rest of their lives. I don't foresee schools reopening any time soon. I also don't foresee any of the extra curricular activities resuming any time soon (including centers that teach martial arts, gymnastics, learning centers, basketball etc).

44 minutes ago, SKL said:

Is anyone else holding out hope that the warming of the weather will make a difference?

Many places that are currently affected are hot weather countries: Iran, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Jordan, Singapore etc. This virus seems to be resistant to warm weather as well, amongst many other things!

• Like 3

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/14/boris-johnson-puts-industry-war-footing-equip-nhs-battle-ahead/
“In an unprecedented peacetime call to arms, the Prime Minister is asking manufacturers including Rolls Royce and JCB to transform their current production lines to help produce ventilators as part of a "national effort" to tackle the virus.

As ten more patients in the UK died from Covid-19, doubling the current death toll, Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, declares in an article for The Sunday Telegraph that "our generation has never been tested like this".

He urges the country to pull together like it did during the Second World War, and says firms "cannot make too many" ventilators - which the Government will commit to purchasing”

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I kind of hope high schools and colleges go to Credit/Non-Credit for this semester. This is going to be a tough semester to grade, and it doesn't seem fair for it to count in GPA for scholarships, college admissions,transfer admissions, grad school, etc. 

• Like 17

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL8N2B65X0

“(Reuters) - German medical gear maker Draegerwerk said on Friday that the German government was buying 10,000 ventilators for respiratory care and that the company would fill the order over the course of the year.

In addition, the group will deliver personal protection equipment for hospital staff to the German government, it added.

"Both will help to assure the functionality of the health care system in the case of a further spreading of the Corona virus," it said in a statement.

The order will require a substantial increase of production capacity in the northern city of Luebeck and will have an as-yet unspecified positive effect on earnings.”

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I am worried about how much this affects high school kids who depend on their schools for preparation for the SAT/AP or something else equally important for college admissions and the disruption in school might affect the rest of their lives. I don't foresee schools reopening any time soon. I also don't foresee any of the extra curricular activities resuming any time soon (including centers that teach martial arts, gymnastics, learning centers, basketball etc).

I would think that colleges and universities would be capable of realizing that there was a pandemic at this time and making adjustments in their expectations.  Though maybe I give universities too much credit for intelligence and awareness of world events. 🤷‍♀️

2 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Many places that are currently affected are hot weather countries: Iran, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Jordan, Singapore etc. This virus seems to be resistant to warm weather as well, amongst many other things!

Yup.   It’s certainly quite the virus! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/14/boris-johnson-puts-industry-war-footing-equip-nhs-battle-ahead/
“In an unprecedented peacetime call to arms, the Prime Minister is asking manufacturers including Rolls Royce and JCB to transform their current production lines to help produce ventilators as part of a "national effort" to tackle the virus.

As ten more patients in the UK died from Covid-19, doubling the current death toll, Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, declares in an article for The Sunday Telegraph that "our generation has never been tested like this".

He urges the country to pull together like it did during the Second World War, and says firms "cannot make too many" ventilators - which the Government will commit to purchasing”

Good for them on that one! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pen said:

Well, additionally, even if it doesn’t mutate to directly kill more children and teens, if hospitals are overwhelmed and doctors, nurses, EMTs, firefighters, etc are sick and dying there are almost certainly going to be more deaths in younger persons who won’t have help for non directly Covid related reasons

just like in Italy now - there are more deaths for non-covd19 illnesses/trauma because they are over capacity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Lost my Quote from @Pen regarding why the wives of political figures are being diagnosed and not the Dh........perhaps being taller meant they avoided the germs from being coughed on.  So I mentioned this to Dh who is a pension actuary and he commented that the tall will be far more likely to die if the catch it.  Because that is how it always is........I don’t think he has calculated that because no data points.   This is a side interesting comment not political.  

My tall son has been informed of this apparently. Thanks dear,     My anxiety for my ds was already high because he is our familiy’s normal patient zero with lungs developed on steroids...........

We do know that many political figures on both sides of the USpolitical aisle use hand sanitizer to try and stay healthy normally.  Aides have it ready for them  after shaking hands.  I suspect the wives don’t receive the same care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd @Pen

For the amount of test kits produce in Pleasanton why is our county not having larger numbers of people who want to test be tested 😞

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/pleasanton-company-creates-coronavirus-test-kits/2254734/

“An East Bay company is playing a critical role in ramping up testing for the coronavirus by developing the first commercially available test to receive emergency authorization by the FDA.

Roche Labs in Pleasanton has not only developed a new coronavirus test, but those tests can deliver results in just three and a half hours. 

As testing for COVID-19 expands across the country, the demand is overwhelming. One drive-through location in Colorado was so busy it had to close early. 

At Kaiser Permanente in Redwood City an eight-person medical team processed people in about five minutes, but for many people the wait for a test continues.

... But with Roche Labs’ test kits, availability will get a boost. The FDA has approved the company to ship the kits out to the Bay Area and across the U.S.

“We already have 400,000 tests available,” said Dr. Paul Brown, Global Head of Roche Molecular Solutions. “Those are being shipped out this weekend and over the next week. We expect to send out another 400,000 tests per week.”

The highly automated molecular testing system can process as many as 960 tests in eight hours, providing the volume needed during this pandemic. 

According to the company, it expects to send out 1.5 million tests in a month.”

Cost of each test is $1400 according to a friend (who is a doctor dealing with these cases now) and apparently the hospital will bill the insurance companies who will in turn handle it. There is a federal statute that makes this kind of testing free (42 CFR 71.30), but, for whatever reason the health secretary is "looking into it" and Congress is pushing the CDC to cover the costs.  (sorry, this thread is too long, don't know if this was mentioned before)

Edited by mathnerd
  • Sad 4

42 minutes ago, Selkie said:

The Illinois governor says they are “looking seriously” at closing bars and restaurants.

I think they are considering this in part because St. Patrick's day is coming up.   Our band was supposed to play and I've been agonizing about being the bad guy.  Come to find out the venue has reduced their capacity (we were going to be in a tent) and we aren't on the line-up.  I'm so relieved.  But,  the venue has not cancelled.  😞  

I feel bad for them.  Bars and restaurants generally walk a fine line financially.  This has got to be killing them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mumto2 said:

Lost my Quote from @Pen regarding why the wives of political figures are being diagnosed and not the Dh........perhaps being taller meant they avoided the germs from being coughed on.  So I mentioned this to Dh who is a pension actuary and he commented that the tall will be far more likely to die if the catch it.  Because that is how it always is........I don’t think he has calculated that because no data points.   This is a side interesting comment not political.  

My tall son has been informed of this apparently. Thanks dear,     My anxiety for my ds was already high because he is our familiy’s normal patient zero with lungs developed on steroids...........

We do know that many political figures on both sides of the USpolitical aisle use hand sanitizer to try and stay healthy normally.  Aides have it ready for them  after shaking hands.  I suspect the wives don’t receive the same care.

Hand sanitizer could be key!!!  Maybe next time I see video of political figures I’ll try to spot possible covert use of hand sanitizer.  

Who knows, Maybe what looks like handling and adjusting height of mike is actually hand sanitizer being applied. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mathnerd said:

Cost of each test is $1400 according to a friend (who is a doctor dealing with these cases now) and apparently the hospital will bill the insurance companies who will in turn handle it. There is a federal statute that makes this kind of testing free (42 CFR 71.30), but, for whatever reason the health secretary is "looking into it" and Congress is pushing the CDC to cover the costs.  (sorry, this thread is too long, don't know if this was mentioned before)

The Korea test kits are so much cheaper for the people there to pay out of pocket. My oncologist visits are billed as $999 for a 15 minute visit and I pay nothing as my out of pocket is maxed out. Just feel $1400 for the COVID test is price gouging 😞

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Might be if your son is tall, he’d appreciate this article:

https://www.livescience.com/36616-height-cause-of-death-mortality-short-tall.html

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

This was an excellent curated list of resources teaching KIDS about coronavirus from The Kid Should See This. So much in the media is not appropriate for kids.

https://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/coronavirus-covid-19-social-distancing-soap-pandemic?fbclid=IwAR1j5GLijEI4tRmw00YaZiMxpr392WziVZXny2_aFvYkj-akaPcnAoBT0Cg

Helping kids with anxiety resources from Harvard Health
For preschoolers: https://theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Anxiety_CG_Preschool.pdf

For elementary:

An this excellent gif for those who still aren't taking this seriously and need a good analogy:

Image may contain: possible text that says 'You know how everyone rushed to the stores at the same time and bought everything out at once instead of staggering their visits? Now imagine the same thing in the hospital, but instead of TP, it's ICU beds and ventilators that are out. This is why everything is cancelled.'

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

?huh?  Look up the numbers for the countries you citied.  

Iran currently has 14K cases, and nearly 850 deaths.   That works out to 166 cases per million of population.  (that's if you believe their official numbers.  looking at sat images of mass graves just in  Qom, they're most likely lying through their teeth. - and prisoners who've managed to get messages out that it's rampant in the prisons.)  They won't give a number for how many are actually critical.

The highest numbers - are in Italy.  (409 cases per million, 1700 critical.)   

Spain is a fairly warm country - their numbers are neck and neck with Iran for cases per million.    things have been closed, beaches are closed.  people are only allowed out for work, medical/food, and that's it.

Bahrain has 125 cases per million of population.

Qatar has 139.2 cases per million of population

• Like 1

Did you all know that tall people are reading? Thanks a lot. 

I'm nearly six feet tall, my husband and two sons are six feet tall, and two sons are over 6'4. Three of the boys have preexisting health conditions so we were already concerned about Covid19.

So thank you VERY much for adding to a worry list about risks when there's absolutely nothing anyone can do about being tall.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

I'm nearly six feet tall, my husband and two sons are six feet tall, and two sons are over 6'4. Three of the boys have preexisting health conditions so we were already concerned about Covid19.

So thank you VERY much for adding to a worry list about risks when there's absolutely nothing anyone can do about being tall.

I agree.  I'm close to 6' tall and all my sons are over 6 feet.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I am worried about how much this affects high school kids who depend on their schools for preparation for the SAT/AP or something else equally important for college admissions and the disruption in school might affect the rest of their lives. I don't foresee schools reopening any time soon. I also don't foresee any of the extra curricular activities resuming any time soon (including centers that teach martial arts, gymnastics, learning centers, basketball etc)

Yes. This is incredibly stressful especially for the junior class, who for all the above mentioned reasons will be the most affected. Junior year is already the most brutal and demanding year; adding the uncertainty of what happens to their SATs, AP exams, cancelled sports seasons they were planning to use for scholarship opportunities...my son is devastated and anxious about all of it. Not to mention the loss of college tours.

This morning he found out a good friend who is an exchange student is getting sent home prematurely. Since school is cancelled as of tomorrow, they won’t get to say goodbye. 😞

Its going to be tough on the seniors for sure, most especially if schools ultimately decide to cancel the remainder of the year. My heart breaks for all these kids. Many adults haven’t even come to terms with the reality; it’s an awful lot for our kids and teens to handle. 😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Tall people run a higher risk of pulmonary failure/lung collapse. That was what my 6’1”  ex-college dorm mate was told after his lung surgery.

by BD Hobbs · 2014 · Cited by 17 · Related articles
Measurements and Main Results: Pneumothorax was reported in 286 (3.2%) of 9,062 participants. ... Conclusions: Among smokers, pneumothorax is associated with male sex, non-Hispanic white race, and increased percentage of total and subpleural CT emphysema.

[Pen - Comment: so worse illness rates could perhaps run higher in countries with larger numbers of non-Hispanic whites as well as tall slim males. ]

by A Bonilla · 2019 · Cited by 4 · Related articles
Sep 9, 2019 · 2010;65(Suppl 2):ii18–31. Article · Google Scholar. 19. Jackler RK, Ramamurthi D. Nicotine arms race: ...

[and  Vapers perhaps too]

Edited by Pen

Those who are pointing out that young people are not very likely to die should be reminded that Italy's first identified patient was a previously healthy 38yo whose critical illness (needing a ventilator for pneumonia, which is normally very easy to treat in young people if it occurs at all) puzzled doctors, leading them finally to see if he had this Asian virus.

It's nice to know I'm not likely to die, but I would also like to not need ICU-level care, which is what is keeping some younger patients alive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Yes. This is incredibly stressful especially for the junior class, who for all the above mentioned reasons will be the most affected. Junior year is already the most brutal and demanding year; adding the uncertainty of what happens to their SATs, AP exams, cancelled sports seasons they were planning to use for scholarship opportunities...my son is devastated and anxious about all of it. Not to mention the loss of college tours.

Some of my neighbors are paying for online classes and tutors while school is out. They are just turning their after schooling to whole day after schooling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SKL said:

It didn't sound to me like it was random.  Sounded like they tested a lot of people in a small community because the virus was found in that community to begin with.  Why do people assume they were targeting a random sample?

Maybe because of the drive-in testing? It sounded pretty random to me...

21 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

The link I posted seemed to indicate a bunch of areas where tall people have better health. 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus.amp.html

The elderly are not the only people affected.  Most likely to die, yes.  But “mild” cases can be very significant, even perhaps long term debilitating.  It is hard to know for an illness that has only existed for a few months 

If the bars etc stay open Some of the workers may not be able to come back due to permanent health problems.  

I am trying to retain my cool about the if it’s already bad let’s just do basically nothing attitude you are promoting!  

I think you think you have the best interests of the waitresses etc in mind, but I think you are totally wrong. 😷

You are entitled to your opinion, but don't put evil words in my mouth.  Practically everything is already shut down.  There is a limit beyond which this is going to do more harm than good.

19 minutes ago, Renai said:

Maybe because of the drive-in testing? It sounded pretty random to me...

Self-selection doesn't make it random.  I could imagine that young adults here might be more willing to get tested despite not being sick, compared to older adults who (a) have more responsibilities and (b) can't afford to be quarantined/isolated for weeks.

• Like 1

Now all bars and restaurants are being closed for dining starting this evening. They are allowed to continue delivery and pick up only. We got an email from a local pizza shop that they encouraged people to order and pay online so they could drop the pizza on the porch or doorstep and leave without any interaction. I haven't been out much, but FB posts say that college aged people in my town celebrated St Patrick's Day early all weekend and filled the bars and restaurants, so I guess they do need someone to make them stay home.

• Like 6

Just now, square_25 said:

It's obviously not random. I already said it wasn't random. I said it was much less biased towards severe cases, and therefore probably more representative as to outcomes. That is all. 

I agree that it is different from only testing very sick people.  However, that is all we can say about it.  Neither provides reliable info about the actual incidence of infection by age.

3 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Now all bars and restaurants are being closed for dining starting this evening. They are allowed to continue delivery and pick up only. We got an email from a local pizza shop that they encouraged people to order and pay online so they could drop the pizza on the porch or doorstep and leave without any interaction. I haven't been out much, but FB posts say that college aged people in my town celebrated St Patrick's Day early all weekend and filled the bars and restaurants, so I guess they do need someone to make them stay home.

Well I'm glad they will allow carry-out.  I hope people use it!

• Like 3

Several moms in my area report with annoyance that other moms are treating this as a big spring break, with playdates and sleepovers and hanging out in public places like the mall.

We have no idea how many people are infected because of the testing restrictions. These people are just going to make it take longer to shut down transmission. :/

• Sad 4

30 minutes ago, square_25 said:

It's obviously not random. I already said it wasn't random. I said it was much less biased towards severe cases, and therefore probably more representative as to outcomes. That is all. 

She was responding to me, I don't think she was trying to belabor your point. I had mentioned the drive through testing. 

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

And I was definitely going to pick up orders to go once I’m out of quarantine and we have to resume our medical and therapy stuff.  So many good businesses will go under if we can’t even patronize them with minimal contact, and they’re the employers and employees least able to take the hit.  I worry very much about people so close to the margin already.

I have this idea that they need a social media campaign along the lines of “keep them open”.  So if your income is not affected and you typically buy a coffee from the coffee shop on the way to work, make a donation to cover the time when they can’t be open to keep them going till it’s over.  So we can enjoy it all afterward.

having said that we basically never eat out but dh does have coffeee at a shop near work.  Most of his office do.  If they made some donation it would help.  I realise the issue is that some people will be under financial stress so that may not be possible but for those who aren’t this could work.

alternatively a grace for rent from premises or mortgage payments or whatever.  

I know most of us on this thread stocked up a while ago, but I heard from a contact in healthcare that there could be a national two-week lockdown in the US, announced in the next 48-72 hours. 

No idea if this is true or what it would look like, but I'm going shopping tonight and tomorrow morning to re-stock for a few weeks at home. 

We definitely need more wine and more tortilla chips!

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Illinois and Ohio have closed all bars and restaurants to indoor dining according to BNO.  Anyone know any more about that.

Yes, I'm in OH.  Carry out and delivery only.  Warned about day cares and movie theaters and schools being closed the rest of the school year.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I know most of us on this thread stocked up a while ago, but I heard from a contact in healthcare that there could be a national two-week lockdown in the US, announced in the next 48-72 hours. 

No idea if this is true or what it would look like, but I'm going shopping tonight and tomorrow morning to re-stock for a few weeks at home. 

We definitely need more wine and more tortilla chips!

I just don't believe that the government will shut down the food supply. Talk about creating a second disaster. Even Italy hasn't done that.

• Like 10