Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Well, We are not in a hotspot but we do have one confirmed case in neighboring county. Schools and everything are pretty much shut down indefinitely.

Today dh got the call from the health department of said neighboring county. He goes to a doctor there and had been in the office the same afternoon as someone with a positive test. His risk is low and he is already 11 days into the 14 day incubation period with absolutely zero symptoms. He is going to work from home through the duration and the rest of us had already decided to stay in so we aren't much changing behavior. We had already decided to skip church, etc. for the next few weeks so we haven't been around many people. We already were shouting to neighbors from across the street, etc. but now we'll be extra vigilant. 

He says he was the only one in the waiting room when he first got there and then a guy came in and was asking for a walk in appointment. He sat on the opposite side of the room and dh never crossed even within six feet of him. The guy wasn't coughing or sneezing. The woman from the health department said he was very low risk and didn't need to self quarantine just to be on the lookout for symptoms. He is self quarantining on his own (well within the family, we are not separating from him, it is already 11 days in and we have been together alot).

I really don't think he has it. But it is eerie to get the phone call and does make it real. 

My 19 yo ds who lives 500 miles away from us had someone in his company (huge company and he doesn't think he would have crossed paths) test positive. So there's that. Again, I am not terribly worried but it is real. Within an hour both of those incidents were brought to light for our family. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Thing about this is that so many landlords are individuals as well.  Not all of course but particularly rental homes, they might be managed by a management company, but the rent is going to an individual, not a corporation.  

Yes I agree.  But many of the ones will commercial premises here are extremely wealthy people. Dh deals with them for work.  Unfortunately some of them are also jerks who will do anything to get out of paying for stuff so they probably won’t jump on board.  If there’s also suspension of mortgage repayments etc it may work.  I don’t know.  

• Like 1

Even in China they tried to keep food chains working.  There were some major hiccoughs due to people not being able to move between regions.  But it wasn’t completely shut down like other things.

on the other hand food imports and exports may become a problem if transport continues to stop the way it is.  I think Australia is mostly an exporter but not entirely.  So there may be shortages on specific product lines.  Things I know we usually buy that are imported are coconut milk, occasionally dates or tinned tomatoes.  I try to buy local as much as possible but I realise if everyone is doing it there will be shortages in some areas.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

.  I realise the issue is that some people will be under financial stress so that may not be possible but for those who aren’t this could work.

We aren’t in a financial stress now as my husband could work from home but if recession happens, we would be stressed. So while I am still indulging in Starbucks and occasional takeout, we aren’t spending more than our usual “fun” expenses.

• Like 2

Just now, Arcadia said:

We aren’t in a financial stress now as my husband could work from home but if recession happens, we would be stressed. So while I am still indulging in Starbucks and occasional takeout, we aren’t spending more than our usual “fun” expenses.

Yes we are in that boat as well.  Also DH has been looking at a job change that will mean an income drop so we are trying to reduce expenses anyway.

• Like 1

🙂 https://www.today.com/health/trainer-leads-neighbors-group-workout-during-coronavirus-lockdown-t176027

“Coronavirus quarantine won't keep some people from getting in a good workout.

Video has gone viral of a fitness instructor in Seville, Spain, hosting a group workout from a rooftop, with people joining his class from their balconies. - Today Show”

• Like 6

Guys, my BF has symptoms. She lives in LA and this is literally what the DOH says about testing:

5. Can I get tested for the coronavirus?

Testing is not helpful if you do not have symptoms. However, most people will get better with rest so there is no need to see a doctor if you have mild symptoms. If you develop difficulty breathing or cannot keep fluids down, see a doctor or call 911. Certain patients such as the elderly, those that are immune compromised or have underlying medical conditions should call their doctor earlier. If you have mild symptoms, there may be no need to go to a medical facility to see a doctor. If you have questions, please call the clinic or your doctor before going in.

• Sad 5

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-americans-fly-home-europe-intensifies-lockdown-n1159296/ncrd1159521#liveBlogHeader

“One of the world's largest luxury fashion and beauty companies will now direct its cosmetic factories to manufacture hand sanitizer gel to be distributed at no cost in France. 

LVMH, home to brands such a Louis Vuitton and Christian Dior, will prepare its production sites to manufacture the antibacterial gel to be given over to French authorities at the direction of its CEO and Chairman, Bernard Arnault. The moves comes amid a fear of sanitizer shortage in the country.

"Through this initiative, LVMH intends to help address the risk of a lack of product in France and enable a greater number of people to continue to take the right action to protect themselves from the spread of the virus," the company said in a press release. 

French Prime Minister Édouard Philippe ordered the country's restaurants, cafés, cinemas and clubs to close as coronavirus spreads quickly in the country.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ft. Bragg is quarantining people who've just returned from Afghanistan. IMO there's no way to know whether they'd be more or less likely to catch it here in NC than they were over there, but keeping them isolated on base is probably a safe bet either way. 

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 2

Just now, square_25 said:

I think given our current set up, that's reasonable enough -- if she goes in and gets diagnosed and has it, she puts others at risk. So given that we don't have a way to get tested without exposing others, those seem like good guidelines. 

Now, I don't think that's actually a good thing that there's no way to get tested without infecting others. However, that's where we are. 

I guess I was just surprised because up here (in NorCal), we already have drive through testing. You just call the health department or your doctor and they refer you to testing. 

• Like 1

Landlords may want to forgive rent payments, but they have interest and tax payments.  Will the landlords get relief from those payments?  We certainly cannot count on it right now.  If the lenders provide relief, what is going to happen to them then?

We're in a variety of types of business and at risk at several levels.  Our newest project just went live.  It is a development project meant to help revive a depressed city.  So much hope and excitement at the grand opening 2 weeks ago.  Now they have already shut down the majority of what was started, including lots of jobs.  Really not sure what is next.

I'm an optimist.  I keep saying this will blow over.  It will.  I just hope that the post-pandemic recovery is well managed.

3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I think given our current set up, that's reasonable enough -- if she goes in and gets diagnosed and has it, she puts others at risk. So given that we don't have a way to get tested without exposing others, those seem like good guidelines. 

Now, I don't think that's actually a good thing that there's no way to get tested without infecting others. However, that's where we are. 

I thought they started drive through testing?

Well...our swim team finally cancelled practices for a week.  I know that after this week it will be for a lot longer.  

But...in our GM's email, he said that a parent of a swimmer from a different swim team tested positive and that child swam at a certain pool (not our pool, but our team has a group that swims at the "certain" pool.  This is why I'm glad they are cancelling swim meets for a good while and while I wasn't letting mine practice anymore even if they didn't suspend practices.

This is so crazy that we are even talking about this.  Crazy...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I just don't believe that the government will shut down the food supply. Talk about creating a second disaster. Even Italy hasn't done that.

I mentioned wine and tortilla chips just because I was trying to add a little humor to my post. I didn't mean to suggest grocery stores will close, and I agree with you that our food supply won't shut down.

But dh's university is already shut down, both my girls schools are shut down, our libraries, museums, and some retail stores are shut down, and as of today all bars and restaurants in my state are shut down except for takeout & delivery. We needed to go to the Apple store yesterday, only to find all locations closed for two weeks.

So I am taking another look at what my family needs in terms of office supplies, pet supplies, food, water, emergency radio, etc. With everything on our calendars cleared and most places we go already closed, it doesn't feel like a huge leap to the early stages of restrictions in Italy and Spain. I know this varies in different regions around the country but things are happening fast here, and I wanted to give people a heads up that I heard we may see national restrictions of some kind in the US. It may not happen, but I learned of the possibility from a nurse at a huge hospital system with drive-through coronavirus testing and international facilities. They've been anticipating what's coming and working on this for months. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 4

AirNZ just dropped flights to Houston, Chicago, San Fran, and are reducing capacity to 85% from March 30 to June 30.  So our trip to America in late June just got cancelled. 😞

Air New Zealand has placed itself into a trading halt today to allow it time to more fully assess the operational and financial impacts of global travel restrictions-an indication of the true impact of Covid-19.

NZ's 85% Capacity Cuts
Air New Zealand has flagged plans to slash its long-haul capacity by 85% over the coming months due to the Covid-19 crisis, but will continue to operate a minimal schedule to allow Kiwis to return home and to keep trade corridors with Asia and North America open.

Full details will be advised later this week, but NZ has confirmed that it is suspending flights between Auckland and Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Buenos Aires, Vancouver, Tokyo Narita, Honolulu, Denpasar and Taipei from 30 Mar to 30 Jun. It is also suspending its London--Los Angeles service from 20 Mar (ex LAX) and 21 Mar (ex LHR) through to 30 Jun.

The Tasman and Pacific Island network capacity will significantly reduce Apr- Jun. Details of these schedule changes will be announced later this week.

Domestic capacity will be reduced by around 30% in April and May but no routes will be suspended.

• Like 2

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/coronavirus-amazon-says-items-out-of-stock-deliveries-delayed.html

“Amazon warned it’s experiencing Prime delivery days and running out of stock of popular household items amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The issues are a result of a “dramatic increase in the rate that people are shopping online,” Amazon said in a blog post that was updated on Saturday. Some popular brands and items in the “household staples” categories were out of stock, while Amazon said some of its “delivery promises are longer than usual.”

“In the short term this is having an impact on how we serve our customers,” Amazon said in the blog post. “We are working around the clock with our selling partners to ensure availability on all of our products, and bring on additional capacity to deliver all of your orders.”

Amazon added a notice to the top of its marketplace this weekend that reads: “Inventory and delivery may be temporarily unavailable due to increased demand. Confirm availability at checkout.”

Meanwhile, a quick scan for in-demand items like toilet paper and bottled water showed that many listings were out of stock. Amazon’s normally speedy one-day and two-day delivery options also showed delays of several days. After adding an item to the shopping basket, Amazon said the order would arrive within four days.”

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

at the direction of its CEO and Chairman, Bernard Arnault.

Totally off-topic, but whenever I see this guy's nane, I always first think they are talking about Bernard Hinault of Tour de France fame. Always throws me off. ;)

On-topic:  After sending out the "All is well" email on March 12th, local college extended their spring break for a week on March 13th probably due to parental pressure from what I'm hearing. Likely will go all online as of the 30th if they can figure it out. Less than 1,000 students on campus & biggest classes are 45 students or less.

Denial in my area is real. Local school & sports activities are still on for this week as usual. I'm hoping school & activities are cancelled before Wednesday/Thursday, but I'm not optimistic. If there is another case of community transmission in my state (Nebraska), the Governor might call it for them. Currently, gatherings of 250 or more are banned. I live in a rural area, so church & schools are smaller than that.

Local library has preschool story time & toddler story time starting up this week.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

😞

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid-19-italy-death-toll-12540988

“ROME: Italy on Sunday (Mar 15) reported a one-day record death toll and leaders warned of a bed and artificial respirator shortage in the European epicentre of the coronavirus pandemic.

Official data showed the number of fatalities shooting up by 368 to 1,809 - more than half of all the cases recorded outside China.

... Milan's Lombardy region governor Attilio Fontana said the situation in areas around Italy's financial capital was "getting worse".

"We are close to the point where we will no longer be able to resuscitate people because we will be out of intensive care unit beds," Fontana told Italy's Sky TG24 channel.

"We need those machines (doctors) use to ventilate lungs, artificial respirators that unfortunately we cannot find," Fontana said.

"As soon as those respirators arrive from abroad, we will be ready to go on the attack."

The Lombardy region has recorded 1,218 of the deaths officially attributed to COVID-19 over the past three weeks - more than the rest of Europe combined.

The region of 10 million - slightly smaller but more economically productive than neighbouring Switzerland to the north - also has 13,272 reported infections and 767 people in intensive care.

Milan mayor Beppe Sala said he had managed to secure shipments of surgical masks from China to help cover a growing shortage.

"Milan has always had excellent relations with the main Chinese cities and I made a few phone calls over the past few days in search of masks," the Milan mayor said 

"The first shipment arrived (Friday) and we will now distribute them to doctors, to our staff."

European Commission also announced the imminent delivery of one million masks from Germany.

... Lombardy welfare councillor Giulio told reporters on Saturday that "there are no more ambulances" in areas around Milan.

The governor of Venice's Veneto region to the east also called on "everyone to remain in isolation" to avoid putting hospitals under further strain.

"If you do not follow the rules, the health system will crash and I will have to impose a curfew," Veneto governor Luca Zaia warned.”

• Sad 5

CA Gov orders self-isolation for everyone 65 and older. Orders all bars, nightculbs, etc closed. Restaurants to operate at half capacity right now. 

Although I expect this will become more restrictive in the next day or so after what Dr. Fauci had to say today about being prepared for a 2 week nationwide lockdown. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, calbear said:

<snip>

Although I expect this will become more restrictive in the next day or so after what Dr. Fauci had to say today about being prepared for a 2 week nationwide lockdown. 

Can you summarize what he said?  I got distracted by a kid fight when Dr Fauci was speaking.

• Like 1

Thanks to the news here, trying to determine if I've missed anything in my stock ups. I think I've hit anything that is a necessity, but I'd prefer to have some extras too, just in case. And if it is not needed (one can hope) I'll have some cheap weeks at the grocery store.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/coronavirus-amazon-says-items-out-of-stock-deliveries-delayed.html

“Amazon warned it’s experiencing Prime delivery days and running out of stock of popular household items amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The issues are a result of a “dramatic increase in the rate that people are shopping online,” Amazon said in a blog post that was updated on Saturday. Some popular brands and items in the “household staples” categories were out of stock, while Amazon said some of its “delivery promises are longer than usual.”

“In the short term this is having an impact on how we serve our customers,” Amazon said in the blog post. “We are working around the clock with our selling partners to ensure availability on all of our products, and bring on additional capacity to deliver all of your orders.”

Amazon added a notice to the top of its marketplace this weekend that reads: “Inventory and delivery may be temporarily unavailable due to increased demand. Confirm availability at checkout.”

Meanwhile, a quick scan for in-demand items like toilet paper and bottled water showed that many listings were out of stock. Amazon’s normally speedy one-day and two-day delivery options also showed delays of several days. After adding an item to the shopping basket, Amazon said the order would arrive within four days.”

I was expecting a delivery today, and got an email around 5ish saying it won’t be here until sometime in the next few days.

This is *not an in demand item. At least, I don’t think it is, lol. It’s a cat litter pan. 
So here’s to a few more days of my cat peeing over the edge of his too-low dollar store litter pan!

I suppose I’ll be less spoiled by the end of this whole crisis!

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, calbear said:

CA Gov orders self-isolation for everyone 65 and older. Orders all bars, nightculbs, etc closed. Restaurants to operate at half capacity right now. 

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I just let my parents know; Dad responded he’d do “a bit” of grocery shopping in the morning. Earlier today I texted them about making sure they have groceries, 60-90 days worth of meds, and so on. It was like they hadn’t even thought about it. Seriously, I’ve been saying it since before we went out to visit in February! 🙄 

• Like 2

Based on the potential 2 week national lock down news given above (thank you), I have one more order to pick up at Target and a few things that are in stock, but not available for pick-up.  And...I will do no more for a bit until I order groceries delivered.  My boys are eating so much -- LOL!!!!  I've got us all using 2-3 squares of tp per need -- LOL.  It's amazing how much I'm changing my habits -- and theirs.  And...I ate a very ripe banana today because I didn't want it to go to waste -- LOL.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I just let my parents know; Dad responded he’d do “a bit” of grocery shopping in the morning. Earlier today I texted them about making sure they have groceries, 60-90 days worth of meds, and so on. It was like they hadn’t even thought about it. Seriously, I’ve been saying it since before we went out to visit in February! 🙄 

My dad doesn't drive anymore so I am getting him stuff -- like it or not.  But these old people are so darn frustrating!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I was expecting a delivery today, and got an email around 5ish saying it won’t be here until sometime in the next few days.

This is *not an in demand item. At least, I don’t think it is, lol. It’s a cat litter pan. 
So here’s to a few more days of my cat peeing over the edge of his too-low dollar store litter pan!

I suppose I’ll be less spoiled by the end of this whole crisis!

If you have a spare plastic storage tub handy you can cut a hole in you can Diy

Aus supermarkets are introducing dedicated shopping hours for the elderly and disabled.  I like this idea except at least one supermarket set it at 7-8am.  I would have thought it would have been better to leave that for pre school rush shops and let the elderly and disabled sleep in a bit and go after 9ish.  Unless the issue is low stock but they could reserve some and not put it out till those times.

i went this morning.  It wasn’t too bad.  I didn’t buy toilet paper even though there was some out because i have enough for now and hopefully someone else who needs it got some.  Hopefully I don’t regret that at some point.  The only thing I couldn’t get was tubular spaghetti.  There was almost no chicken and limited mince but plenty of expensive steak on sale.  Seems like people are thinking about meals they can freeze.  No hand sanitiser and we’re running low now but I will carry soap and water if needed

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I actually feel like for some kids this is going to feel like a defining thing in the way that Sep 11 was for us 

I agree. 

MA just closed all restaurants, all events > 25 people, including churches, through April 17. Through Easter.    [Edit: Maybe not Easter! *see below]

Surreal just got surreal-er.

[Editing - WAIT! I just checked the official release, which says April 7. The press conference kept saying through April 17. I don't think anyone knows anymore what's going on. We will wait and see. And keep fingers crossed for Easter. I'm a bit in shock that it's happening in the first place.]

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, square_25 said:

My state is initiating drive through testing.

I have a question, if anybody knows:

What is the absolute earliest date that Covid19 might have been in the USA? I have heard of November to January, as far as anecdotal accounts of severe flu-that-wasn't-the-flu and took a long time to shake.

The reason I ask is because in April/May, I had all the symptoms. Fever, dry cough, and regular cold symptoms including stuffy/runny nose but that part ended in less than two weeks and was mild. In the second week, the illness progressed to a bad lower respiratory infection that didn't show as bronchitis or anything specific, I never got a chest x-ray but three kinds of antibiotics didn't touch it, and it took me over two months to shake it. I wasn't hospitalized because while I was short of breath, I could breathe and even get some sleep if I was propped up. But it was absolutely ghastly and I missed three of my kids' high school and college graduation ceremonies, with an illness that I'd contracted two months before. And then I had diminished lung function for about six months -- couldn't sing, and got winded sometimes when walking. 

Is there any chance this has been here that long?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I actually feel like for some kids this is going to feel like a defining thing in the way that Sep 11 was for us 

I think it is going to be a defining thing, especially for teens and young adults--that's an age when big things feel really big.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

What is the absolute earliest date that Covid19 might have been in the USA? I have heard of November to January, as far as anecdotal accounts of severe flu-that-wasn't-the-flu and took a long time to shake.

The reason I ask is because in April/May, I had all the symptoms. Fever, dry cough, and regular cold symptoms including stuffy/runny nose but that part ended in less than two weeks and was mild. In the second week, the illness progressed to a bad lower respiratory infection that didn't show as bronchitis or anything specific, I never got a chest x-ray but three kinds of antibiotics didn't touch it, and it took me over two months to shake it. I wasn't hospitalized because while I was short of breath, I could breathe and even get some sleep if I was propped up. But it was absolutely ghastly and I missed three of my kids' high school and college graduation ceremonies, with an illness that I'd contracted two months before. And then I had diminished lung function for about six months -- couldn't sing, and got winded sometimes when walking. 

No, there is ZERO chance it has been here that long.  Even in China the conspiracy theorist reports were only that it may have appeared the last week of November or the first half of December, based on a sudden uptick in people dying from pneumonia. 

Bad pneumonia can make anyone have decreased lung function, even for years.

You should be VERY CAREFUL to avoid this virus because you probably still have decreased lung function, even if you no longer notice it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

No, there is ZERO chance it has been here that long.  Even in China the conspiracy theorist reports were only that it may have appeared the last week of November or the first half of December, based on a sudden uptick in people dying from pneumonia. 

Bad pneumonia can make anyone have decreased lung function, even for years.

You should be VERY CAREFUL to avoid this virus because you probably still have decreased lung function, even if you no longer notice it.

Besides this, if you'd had it (Lang Syne), this would have exploded then.  The time from when the Patient 0 in Italy got it to it exploding was weeks.  You would have given it to at least two people, then they would have, then... the whole country would have been on lock-down last summer.  So you definitely didn't have it.  This thing is waaaay too contagious to have shown up randomly in one person (or a few) and then just gone quiet for another 8 months...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1