Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Just now, vonfirmath said:

She's 6 months old. She eats 6 superworms, 12-14 crickets or roaches and about 10 smaller worms (mealworms/Phoenix worms) evreyday. Plus a plateful of mustard greens (or other greens I leave for her).  So about 30 bugs a day.

That would be a lot of bugs for a month....  Dang.  I don't know.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I am concerned about the pet store closing too. How do I keep enough bugs on hand for our bearded dragon for 30 days! Grocery stores usually have cat/dog food, right?

Can you breed crickets or could some of them be frozen? 

1 minute ago, Acadie said:

Can you breed crickets or could some of them be frozen? 

Not crickets. I am trying to get a big enough supply of roaches or superworms because I think I could keep them alive that long (Crickets seem to die too easily in my setup) Superworms are not great for them as a main meal but would be filling at least.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

She's 6 months old. She eats 6 superworms, 12-14 crickets or roaches and about 10 smaller worms (mealworms/Phoenix worms) evreyday. Plus a plateful of mustard greens (or other greens I leave for her).  So about 30 bugs a day.

Do you have a bait shop nearby (as in for fishing)? Sometimes little hole in the wall gas stations near lakes or state parks have live bait in addition to actual bait or fishing stores. Will dried mealworms work? If so, you can buy them in bags anyplace that carries bird food--they are a favorite for bluebirds. 

• Like 1

🇨🇦 https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-u-s-cities-close-public-buildings-global-n1160106/ncrd1160701#liveBlogHeader

“Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Monday that Canada will be closing its borders to non-citizens.

Trudeau said there will be exceptions for aircrews, diplomats, immediate family members of Canadian citizens and, notably, U.S. citizens. Trudeau implied the U.S. citizens exception could change, and said the order does not apply to permanent residents of Canada.

Canada has 339 reported cases of coronavirus as of Monday, and no reported deaths.

Trudeau's announcement comes after many European nations enacted similar policies over the weekend to stem the spread of the virus.”

• Like 3

I've been thinking about Easter for a couple of weeks too. I feel like I need to make DD's basket now. But, I've spent so much on stocking up on groceries and non-consumable essentials this past month, I'm just not in the mood for it. I think I'm going to buy the new Animal Crossing game for Switch in a few days, grab a few treats, and call it good.

27 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Southwest VA still has zero cases.  I'm pondering going to Pet Smart to stock up on cat food, since if there's a major shut down, grocery stores will probably be open but maybe not Pet Smart.  Also pondering buying truckloads of Easter candy.  I have an urge to stress munch.  

Mealworms can be raised in oatmeal pretty easy.  Dh used to raise them as a child. 

My dad was a fisherman and worms are pretty easy in a styrofoam cooler and garbage peels.  I stayed far away from that project but remember he had his worms for months before having to clean it out.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I am concerned about the pet store closing too. How do I keep enough bugs on hand for our bearded dragon for 30 days! Grocery stores usually have cat/dog food, right?

Can you get a pelletised form?  I have a pellet from vetafarm that says it’s good for beardies? 

23 minutes ago, Terabith said:

They have some food, but not the Friskies pates of certain flavors that my cats eat.  My older cat doesn't have many teeth, and other brands/ formulations make her vomit.  There's always amazon or chewy, but I know delivery times are going to be long.  I have two weeks worth, but concerned it's not enough.  

Bugs would be a real issue.  Maybe a tank for them?  How many bugs does he eat a day?  

We just ordered through Chewy. Turnaround time is expected be by Thursday. Of course it could be longer, but they are planning just a few days out right now, fwiw.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Aaaaaand this is why my teen thinks I'm a horrible mom. "Those OTHER moms think this is NBD, why can't I sleepover at Xs house?" Maybe B/C her parents are idiots who think this is NBD! Who knows where they've been! My DDs 15yo best friend in Italy is now very sick and coughing up bloody sputum. This is not a joke.

Exact same boat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Will the post office remain open? That's a big unknown. I do have a couple of suppliers I buy from online already. (Amazon has a bad rep for their bugs showing up dead.)

I can't imagine a scenario where the PO would stop delivering mail, or at least not for more than a few days. I just . . . can't.

(I hope I haven't jinxed anything by typing that.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Do you have a bait shop nearby (as in for fishing)? Sometimes little hole in the wall gas stations near lakes or state parks have live bait in addition to actual bait or fishing stores. Will dried mealworms work? If so, you can buy them in bags anyplace that carries bird food--they are a favorite for bluebirds. 

I will get dried mealworms. It's better than nothing and something I can keep on hand.

• Like 2

Could your dragon eat the darkling beetles that hatch from mealworms instead of crickets/roaches?

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

Not crickets. I am trying to get a big enough supply of roaches or superworms because I think I could keep them alive that long (Crickets seem to die too easily in my setup) Superworms are not great for them as a main meal but would be filling at least.

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Yes. I am planning to buy some of that -- bUt I think that replaces veggies more than bugs?

Mine is supposed to be a complete food I think - Id better check.  You can also get a sprinkle on vitamin powder for the veges.  My kids catch crickets for ours so hopefully won’t have to worry too much. 

• Like 1

If anyone is near a Tractor Supply Store, I was able to find some masks there online. They also have some that can be shipped to their stores. My husband still has to work with people in person to run our business and I have asthma, so I figured it would be best to have some. We closed our physical office location, but put out some suggested infection control guidelines for our subcontractors. We can't really enforce anything, though, because they are all independent contractors, so they have to be responsible for how they all run their own businesses. It's great that big companies are stepping up to do the right thing, and that the government is trying to help employees, but this is going to be so hard for small businesses. I haven't seen anything in the works to help the enormous number of small businesses that are going to be devastated very quickly.  

Someone, many pages back, shared info about what to test for if you suspect a cytokine storm when someone is in the hospital. Anyone remember what it was - or what page it is on? I've tried searching, but I'm not having any luck today. 

Possibly helpful information on access to unemployment benefits if you are affected by COVID19 in Pennsylvania 

https://www.uc.pa.gov/Pages/covid19.aspx

You may be eligible if:

Your employer temporarily closes or goes out of business because of COVID-19

Your employer reduces your hours because of COVID-19

You have been told not to work because your employer feels you might get or spread COVID-19

You have been told to quarantine or self-isolate, or live/work in a county under government-recommended mitigation efforts

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

@DrTedros

We have a simple message for all countries fighting #COVID19: test, test, test. The most effective way to prevent #coronavirus infections and save lives is breaking the chains of transmission. And to do that, you must test and isolate.

a little difficult if we can’t get material required to test 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51917562?at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=CD399428-67A7-11EA-86C3-24DCC28169F1&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=%40BBCBreaking&at_custom1=[post+type]

advice from the UK 

- whole family to stay home for 14 days if anyone has cough or fever, avoid trips for food if possible 

- avoid crowds and gatherings 

- schools to stay open 

San Francisco lockdown from midnight

London Breed:

Effective at midnight, San Francisco will require people to stay home except for essential needs. Necessary government functions & essential stores will remain open. These steps are based on the advice of public health experts to slow the spread of #COVID19.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Plum said:

About The ACE-2 Receptor - The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)

I was just in the process of getting my husband to ask his dr to switch from an ARB to a CCB when I saw this! Who knows but this guy sounded pretty convincing so I think we should hold off on that for now. Thanks for posting it!

Santa Clara County Health Twitter

“Press Conference at 1 PM: Bay Area County Officials and the City of Berkeley will issue a region-wide order to slow the spread of #COVID19. The briefing will be followed by a Q&A session. Live stream available on our Facebook page: http://facebook.com/sccpublichealth.”

@mathnerd@8FillTheHeart

ETA:

“The directive begins at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and involves San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda counties — a combined population of more than 6.7 million. It is to stay in place until at least April 7. Three other Bay Area counties — Sonoma, Solano and Napa — were not immediately included.” https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Bay-Area-must-shelter-in-place-Only-15135014.php

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This needs to happen here like now!  I cannot believe what I am seeing and hearing people are doing and planning to do on my FB page.  They are crazy!!!  I don't trust anyone at this point to keep my family safe.  We are not seeing anyone!

Edited by mlktwins
Spelling
  • Like 7

aaaannnnd Trudeau has closed the borders.  (dd regularly goes back and forth on business).  at least, that's how it was announced, but apparently the land border is still open.  US citizens are welcome.  (and flight crews, diplomats, and family members of Canadians.)  

though I did take a peak at some of the WA/BC border crossings - they're pretty empty.  (except for one truck crossing.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Aaaaaand this is why my teen thinks I'm a horrible mom. "Those OTHER moms think this is NBD, why can't I sleepover at Xs house?" Maybe B/C her parents are idiots who think this is NBD! Who knows where they've been! My DDs 15yo best friend in Italy is now very sick and coughing up bloody sputum. This is not a joke.

Same. Particularly hard for DD15 because the friends who want to hang out rn are her public school friends that "couldn't" (sorry, I've grown a bit bitter about these particular so called friends of hers this year, not that I let her see it) find any time to hang out with her all year.  One of the families is well known for sending their sick kids to other peoples' homes, always with the excuse that its "just allergies". The HS families around here (at least the ones in our hs group) are all staying home.

• Like 5

The San Francisco lockdown includes not going to work. I hope Governor Newsom comes out with something quickly because I don't know how people are going to pay their bills if they aren't allowed to go to work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Update from Israel:  

298 cases, no deaths.  24% asymptomatic, 26% respiratory issues but no fever, 16% only fever, and 29% fever and respiratory symptoms.   Most common age group for carrying the virus is the 30s.  Testing is not widespread yet so the assumption is that there are many more cases yet to be diagnosed.

The military is converting several fancy hotels -- now conveniently unoccupied because there are no tourists -- into hospitals for virus carriers who are not that sick.  No mention of what happens when this is all over.  I guess they will fumigate somehow?  Hopefully?

Most things are already closed but just about everything else except essential services will be closed starting tomorrow.  There were rumors of a general lockdown but for now it is going to be limited to a few especially hard-hit areas.  The security services are going to use cell phone info to track carriers' contacts.  Some commentators have made the point that if Israel had not massively underinvested in the health care sector over the last couple of decades these extreme measures wouldn't be necessary, but as it is there is just no room in the system for additional patients.

The government is also making it easier for people to get unemployment benefits and for small businesses to get grants.  

It was a beautiful day today and there were lots of people out walking and in the park.  I went for a run this morning and then took the kids to the park in the afternoon.  I'm trying to consolidate my grocery shopping so as not to go to the store too often and -- unlike my kids' friends' parents -- am not allowing playdates.  My children think that I am being horribly unfair.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JennyD said:

Update from Israel:  

298 cases, no deaths.  24% asymptomatic, 26% respiratory issues but no fever, 16% only fever, and 29% fever and respiratory symptoms.   Most common age group for carrying the virus is the 30s.  Testing is not widespread yet so the assumption is that there are many more cases yet to be diagnosed.

The military is converting several fancy hotels -- now conveniently unoccupied because there are no tourists -- into hospitals for virus carriers who are not that sick.  No mention of what happens when this is all over.  I guess they will fumigate somehow?  Hopefully?

Most things are already closed but just about everything else except essential services will be closed starting tomorrow.  There were rumors of a general lockdown but for now it is going to be limited to a few especially hard-hit areas.  The security services are going to use cell phone info to track carriers' contacts.  Some commentators have made the point that if Israel had not massively underinvested in the health care sector over the last couple of decades these extreme measures wouldn't be necessary, but as it is there is just no room in the system for additional patients.

The government is also making it easier for people to get unemployment benefits and for small businesses to get grants.  

It was a beautiful day today and there were lots of people out walking and in the park.  I went for a run this morning and then took the kids to the park in the afternoon.  I'm trying to consolidate my grocery shopping so as not to go to the store too often and -- unlike my kids' friends' parents -- am not allowing playdates.  My children think that I am being horribly unfair.

Nice to hear how it is there.  Seems like something is being done right to have no deaths so far.

i think with the shorter lifespan on the virus on surfaces (max was around 72 hours on plastic in the last study I saw) this probably won’t be a huge issue for disinfecting once it’s all over.  But I don’t know much about that there’s probably biology people who know more.  I suspect there will be stigma though especially on the cruise ships that were infected.

• Like 1