Menu

Sam's Club has never been so busy at 8am and the shelves have never been so empty. We don't have natural disasters, so seeing everything gone out is new to me. It's rather eerie. 

Watching today's testimony. I'm behind.

UK was excluded from the travel ban because 70% of new infections (I'm guessing he means here?) were coming from Europe. 30 out of 35 of them were coming from certain countries. Can't ban just Italy because they are in EU. UK is not. Personally, I think it also funnels travelers to the UK making them easier to track. 

The N95 respirator and the ventilator situation sounds dire. 😳

Found a transcript from the testimony from yesterday and I would guess they always provide transcripts of all testimony. 

Mr. Cooper: (01:01:02)
Thank you, Madam chair. I’m delighted to hear the bipartisan praise of our public health workers, our professionals and I hope that colleagues on both sides of the aisle will heed your good advice. First question, can US doctors or patients order some of these tests from South Korea?

Dr. Redfield: (01:01:25)
Important question when was asked by the chair woman about the difference. The difference between the South Korean test and our test is they would have to go through our regulatory process and the FDA to get approval to use that.

Mr. Cooper: (01:01:36)
So the answer is no.

Dr. Redfield: (01:01:38)
Currently, no under the regulatory issue.

Mr. Cooper: (01:01:41)
Okay. What are the names of these South Korean companies or enterprises that offer these tests?

Dr. Redfield: (01:01:48)
The basic difference Congressman is when we, CDC developed our test, if you give me a second, we developed to make sure it could work on the platforms that we’d put in all the public health labs. Those platforms were based on our flu surveillance. So we used a technique called thermal cycling, which is not a high throughput.

Dr. Redfield: (01:02:08)
What the Koreans have done is they’ve used a high throughput platform, which is now being done in New York at the Wadsworth Lab and is now beginning, it’s being worked on by LabCorp and Quest to bring it in. So it’s a different platform. Roche is really the company I think. I’m not sure, but I can get back to you, which was a platform that they used. It’s a high throughput, allows many, many, many tests to be done in a single time.

Mr. Cooper: (01:02:31)
So the South Koreans used a Swiss company or wherever Roche is headquartered to supply the need.

Dr. Redfield: (01:02:38)
I’ll get back to you on the specific, sir to make sure I don’t misinform you.

Mr. Cooper: (01:02:57)
Well, LabCorp and quest are wonderful companies, but still we are behind South Korea in terms of making testing available. So how do we solve this gap?

Dr. Redfield: (01:03:10)
What’s going on right now rather than the public health platform that we used. If we had developed a test on the Korean platform, none of our public health labs could have done it because they don’t have the instrumentation. So right now, the private sector and certain labs have begun to transfer that to the high, what we call the high throughput. And so you’re going to see those high throughput, the same technology is going to be approved in the United States and used by different private sector groups.

Mr. Cooper: (01:03:37)
So now finally we’re turning toward what you call high throughput. And that may be from Roche, it may be from somewhere else, or maybe at the Wadsworth Lab now in New York. But finally one day we will have it.

Dr. Redfield: (01:03:49)
Yeah, I would try not to use the word finally. I guess I’m not making myself clear in my role to get it in the public health labs. We build it on a platform that they had the instrumentation.

Mr. Cooper: (01:04:34)
Are there any plans to have drive through testing in America so that we do not panic emergency rooms when people come in and cough?

Dr. Redfield: (01:04:43)
Not at this time. I think we’re trying to maintain the relationship between the individuals and their healthcare providers.

Mr. Cooper: (01:04:52)
That’s very interesting as a response. So the professional monetary relationship comes before public health.

Dr. Redfield: (01:05:02)
No, that was not my point. And maybe Dr. Fauci wants to comment. My point was in able to assess risk and the appropriateness that these individuals get the proper care, we believe that this is something that’s still has value to be dealt with within the setting of clinical medicine. But I’ll ask Tony to comment.

Dr. Fauci: (01:05:19)
It’s exactly what you said. Not anything about monetary. That’s really not a consideration at all. It’s to try and get people to at least on a telephone call basis to be able to phone their physicians ahead of time and say, “I believe I have a situation.” The physician would probably say, “Stay at home” and give them the instructions of how to get a test. So it’s the relationship between the patient and the physician. I have no indication at all of financial on that.

Mr. Hice: (01:07:13)
Okay. All right. Thank you. One of the issues and I do appreciate the cooperating spirit here today. I know Brad Snyder and I, we’ve worked together to put together a bill. He led the way on trying to make sure medical devices are here, if there is a shortage. And I think in that kind of spirit of cooperation, we all need to address this issue that’s critical to our country. And I’m curious specifically on the medical supplies and medical devices, are we going to be facing a shortage?

Speaker 1: (01:07:49)
We have.

Dr. Fauci: (01:07:53)
Yeah. I believe that if we have a major outbreak, we are definitely vulnerable to shortages. But Dr. Kadlec knows more about that than I do.

Dr. Fauci: (01:08:03)
… Which is, but Dr. Kadlec knows more about that than I do.

Dr. Kadlec: (01:08:04)
Sorry, I would just characterize it at this point, and again, the FDA has a responsibility to look at the entire supply chain of pharmaceuticals and drugs in the country. And so, they have had that responsibility. I’m looking at particularly the things that we need for this outbreak right now, and I just want to highlight the issues around personal protective equipment. Much of it is sourced from overseas, some of it is domestically manufactured. And yes, we could have spot shortages. We’re working with different companies in different sectors to see to enhance both their increased capacity here domestically, as well as obtaining supplies overseas, from overseas unaffected areas to meet the demand. The most important demand is with healthcare workers, ensuring they have the respiratory protection and barrier protection, so they can see and treat patients without the risk of getting infected and being lost to the cause.

Mr. Hice: (01:08:53)
Okay, thank you. Dr. Redfield real quickly, if you would. Is there any way that the regulations, rules that are standing in the way of the FDA from getting tests here being purchased, is there any way those regs can be waived in a national emergency?

Dr. Redfield: (01:09:11)
Initially the regulations were in fact there, and that’s why we had to go through and get approval. The commissioner actually gave regulatory relief, so that any individual now can go back and [crosstalk 01:09:24]-

Mr. Hice: (01:09:24)
But you just answered a moment ago that we cannot purchase those tests from South Korea. So, and you said because of regulatory interference. My question is, can those regulatory requirements be waived in a national emergency?

Dr. Redfield: (01:09:38)
I would have to refer that to the commissioner of the FDA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• prairiewindmomma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hmm, you think? I would think having kids with their families instead of in very close quarters is a good idea. 

Heading from an area of high contagion to low, low contagion to high, or passing through known hot spots = more trouble! If the kids haven't already been scattered everywhere for spring break, IMO, and considering they are a lower risk age group, it makes sense to keep them in place for those who don't want to leave.

Obviously, for those who want to be with their parents, it makes sense to let them leave.

My kid will be in closer quarters here than at college. She has her own room there & only shares a bathroom with one person. All the dorms at her school are set up this way. If some kids go home, there will be even less close quarters at her college. I get that this is not the case everywhere, but at her specific college, it is! Go online, yes. Let kids go home for those who want to. But don't make it mandatory!

12 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Our school department surveyed each student this morning about their internet access at home and whether they have the capability to access google classroom. They have canceled all school related functions that involve over 50 people (so I assume but am not yet sure that will include sports like track), and in are serious discussions regarding the timing of a potential shutdown. There is a backup plan and funding to provide meals for any students who need them, in a similar manner to our summer program. 

The state has its first confirmed case. For some reason we only started testing early this week iirc, so it’s obviously just the beginning here.

After the bounty on Targets shelves yesterday, the grocery store today was a sobering contrast. DH sent me for emergency cough syrup whiskey, on the advice shared here. Lol. The canned food shelves were sparse, and the soap aisle was pretty empty. I talked to another shopper who was surprised and also seemed resigned. He must have been at least 90. 

No idea why my photos are always horizontal! 😞

7A8458FE-6A7D-4961-BE1D-9381FD3AD2E6.jpeg

Ooh ooh, I know the answer! Because I just had to figure this out for my own photos. 
Go up to the drop-down list and choose the Attachments tab. Delete old attachments in the same manner as cleaning out PM inbox. Once you have freed up space, it should work again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MEmama said:

If one of us in my home go down, we are all going down. There’s no way around that. I know some people have house layouts and family dynamics that allow for more separation, but we just don’t. There’s just not much we could do.

That may be so. I think in some families every time anyone gets a cold everyone does. But it isn’t universally true even in very small single bath homes.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pen said:

I had posted that I thought the West Coast should be largely shut down earlier in this thread. And I might well have at least been putting calls in to my elected government officials on state level about that, but for comments from @gardenmom5 and @regentrude that doing so would cause riots and or chaos. Which after I thought about that, I decided they were right . Shut downs at point I saw a clear need would not have gone over well with general populace or even a lot of Wtm mom types who are or were quite determined to travel wherever they want in upcoming time, etc, etc, etc.

So I think since we don’t live in a China or Singapore type police state, and don’t want to, that things like tide of public opinion on a place like Wtm turning can signal a change where government, local and federal both, can start to make the societal mandated changes — with less of riots and chaos.  

And I think that behind closed doors that’s actually part of what is happening. Weighing the need to mandate shut down versus potential for riots and other harms.

I think  It gets much easier to do things in a basically democratic nation,  if a nation’s “soccer moms” start clamoring for it, instead of acting like it’s crazy hysterical germophobia that just a few oddballs think important. 

yeah - some people just don't care.  there's the report of the guy who got on a jet blue flight from NCY to palm beach.  he was wearing a mask and gloves - BUT he KNEW he was being TESTED for coronavirus!!!!!  He KNEW before the flight took off - he *has it*!!!  didn't tell anyone, but the flight crew somehow found out before they landed.  He's knowingly and selfishly put the lives of everyone on that flight at risk because he "just had to travel".  If comments are anything to go by - there are many people who (weren't even on the flight) would be happy to lynch the guy.

I think by the time people start clamoring for serious shut downs, it will be too late.  the UW really did their shut down due to student (and possibly staff) demands.  theirs's started this past Monday.  I think the time to shut things down was a good month ago - too late now.  the horse is out of the barn.

there are still too many people not taking this seriously.

eta: the Italian dr, whose letter was read on Glenn Becks' show (available on youtube) - when it first started hitting in his hospital, yes - he worried.  he had zero comprehension of what was coming.  he thought he was taking it seriously, and he reflected back on how naïve he was just the week before.  medics don't even go home for fear of exposing their families.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 6

We are going to have a lot of health care workers on quarantine soon. I do hope they figure out a way to utilize them for telemedicine so they can relieve some of the pressure while getting a paycheck. 

• Like 6

Ds' school sent out a letter. Basically saying that the flu is worse, they are cleaning well, and don't come if you are sick. However, they have a policy that any student with perfect attendance is exempt from finals, any student that misses for ANY reason has to take finals. The closest confirmed case is 2.5 hrs at this point but I'm still pissed at the attitude, I was already ticked at the policy but at this point it is insanity.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 7
10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

yeah - some people just don't care.  there's the report of the guy who got on a jet blue flight from NCY to palm beach.  he was wearing a mask and gloves - BUT he KNEW he was being TESTED for coronavirus!!!!!  He KNEW before the flight took off - he *has it*!!!  didn't tell anyone, but the flight crew somehow found out before they landed.  He's knowingly and selfishly put the lives of everyone on that flight at risk because he "just had to travel".  If comments are anything to go by - there are many people who (weren't even on the flight) would be happy to lynch the guy.

I think by the time people start clamoring for serious shut downs, it will be too late.  the UW really did their shut down due to student (and possibly staff) demands.  theirs's started this past Monday.  I think the time to shut things down was a good month ago - too late now.  the horse is out of the barn.

there are still too many people not taking this seriously.

eta: the Italian dr, whose letter was read on Glenn Becks' show (available on youtube) - when it first started hitting in his hospital, yes - he worried.  he had zero comprehension of what was coming.  he thought he was taking it seriously, and he reflected back on how naïve he was just the week before.  medics don't even go home for fear of exposing their families.

No. I think people have passed the turn point where it is now possible to clamor and not seem crazy.

I think we should start putting in calls to our state governors, state assembly, state senators etc, maybe city mayors if we are living inside of a city  and clamoring!

it is too late to stop it, but not too late to slow it

and slowing it will make a huge big enormous very gigantic difference... 

in fact , I plan to get off of Wtm shortly and start calling!

I think I will start with the Oregon state OSAA (sports etc) as I have particular concerns about that.

Then Governor Kate Brown’s office

I’d like concept of “group” gathering to be much smaller.  That could help against people gathering to watch sports events on screens en masse instead of from bleachers. 

I’d like to see strict penalties like for the traveler dude who took a plane while waiting for test results.  Maybe not North Korea level of shoot them, but strict and significant.  10 years jail time to be served when they recover from CV19 assuming they recover. And as recovered person they can help care for any sick prisoners as needed as part of community service. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, MEmama said:

After the bounty on Targets shelves yesterday, the grocery store today was a sobering contrast. DH sent me for emergency cough syrup whiskey, on the advice shared here. Lol. The canned food shelves were sparse, and the soap aisle was pretty empty. I talked to another shopper who was surprised and also seemed resigned. He must have been at least 90. 

When my county announced the first case, people seems to hit Costco then Target for panic buying. Safeway, Grocery Outlet and CVS have plenty of toilet paper, water, can food, instant noodles and box soup. They didn’t have wipes and hand sanitizers. Trader Joe’s was in between in terms of availability. We didn’t go to Walmart.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, soror said:

Ds' school sent out a letter. Basically saying that the flu is worse, they are cleaning well, and don't come if you are sick. However, they have a policy that any student with perfect attendance is exempt from finals, any student that misses for ANY reason has to take finals. The closest confirmed case is 2.5 hrs at this point but I'm still pissed at the attitude, I was already ticked at the policy but at this point it is insanity.

Our district is kind of stuck in the same, but at least they’re having teachers prep home packets and such just in case.  But they’re sticking it out this week at least, though I’ll be shocked if they’re in session next week as that’s when the local peak should begin with the way things are tracking.

One thing with the toilet paper thing.  We’ve been told in Aus that panic buying is stupid because manufacture is local.  But when I checked our packages they say made from local and imported ingredients. Which made me wonder where materials are coming from.  A lot of ours uses recycled paper and the majority of our recycling is done offshore.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Our district is kind of stuck in the same, but at least they’re having teachers prep home packets and such just in case.  But they’re sticking it out this week at least, though I’ll be shocked if they’re in session next week as that’s when the local peak should begin with the way things are tracking.

I've heard of nothing similar here but as I said the closest case is 2.5 hrs and afaik only 1 confirmed case in the state. I'm not surprised at the reaction. Honestly. 

ABC
US stocks plunge, triggering halt again 

An early plunge of 7 per cent on Wall Street has triggered the second trading halt in a week as a sell-off slamming global markets continued.

It is the second automatic trading halt this week, a mechanism which had not previously been used since 1997.

The drop came after US President Donald Trump imposed a travel ban on most of Europe and offered few new measures to contain the economic impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

Benchmarks in Europe fell more than 10 per cent even after the European Central Bank announced more stimulus measures.

World markets are enduring violent swings amid uncertainty about how badly the outbreak will hit the economy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
14 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

In case you weren't aware, our district, which is next to yours, does have 7 confirmed cases of chicken pox.  My kids have all been vaxxed for chicken pox, but I don't know if all of yours can be, so I thought I would mention it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Governor of Virginia just declared a state of emergency.  I’m guessing the rest of the public schools close to me will now close as well.  This will prompt our local classes to go on-line and we are ready to stay home!!!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

You mean passing through airports? I would assume kids aren't a huge fraction of people flying. Are they? 

In the dorms, your kid will be in contact with MANY more people, if you don't go out much. They have shared food situations and interact with their friends. I think it would be hard to keep kids in their rooms in college. At home, you can really go out very little. 

Flying. Driving. Train. Bus. My kid would be driving. It is two days to drive. If she had to, she could sleep on the floor of a friend halfway, but not everyone has that. If schools tell them to move out, that sometimes means parents driving to college to help them move out or store things locally. More people interaction. 

If staying in is best & not traveling is best, IMO, then the less people who are disrupted, the better. Again, I'm aware that my kid's school isn't like others. I've already heard that some kids at big party schools (not my kid's school) are talking about all the parties they will go to now before they head home. Sigh. Not great to spread this around more.

12 minutes ago, square_25 said:

That's a good idea, really. What are you going to ask them to do? Close everything that's possible to close? 

Busy thinking.

I am more clear on OSAA — yes, close down interschool competitions that result in travel and mingling. Our OSAA covers sports, but also debate team competition, drama, and various other things.

I’ll confer with a friend whose daughter is due to go to state capitol for drama competition. It might help my ideas.

For Governor’s office— schools to work out child care and food delivery and move to online from home as much as possible— even if still open for kids who need it as supervised place in daytime, less crowding should help.

and to ask that they ask teachers to stop telling kids it is less bad than flu

And to shut down social gatherings and events of ... how many ... ? 25 or more?   Instead of 250 or whatever it is now, which seems like still way too many.   

ETA:

And!  Stiff penalties for going on planes, trains etc when sick or a person under investigation!

though I am not sure Governor has control over that even as a state of emergency power-/ I’d think so, but maybe not.

Edited by Pen

DD's sporting event has NOT been cancelled and they were expecting 4,000 competitiors, but we just got an email from our head coach saying we will not be attending. We would have needed to leave within the next 30 minutes. Our governor just shut down all events over 100 people, except sporting events that only allow essential people plus parents of athletes (and things like religious services),  so they're going ahead with the event although many other people seem to be pulling out. We had another confirmed case in our state and now have it in three of the surrounding counties.

Someone I know on Facebook is planning to visit famiy in a European country and doesn't plan to cancel because Americans will still be allowed to travel from that country. I hope she's prepared to stay for awhile since things seem to be changing hourly.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I'm getting the sense that people think that traveling is a bad idea. I think, at this point, given that we have no clue where the cases are, traveling isn't any worse an idea than going outside. Being in crowded places and interacting with other people is a bad idea. That's a description of a plane journey but not of a car journey. So it's not about the travel. 

One thing with a car journey is good, public restrooms and service stations.  Might need to bring back the filling service instead of everyone handling the pump.

I don’t know how relevant this is in us but our road trips tend to be longer and we have picked up sickness so many times particularly when crossing the nullabor.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

In case you weren't aware, our district, which is next to yours, does have 7 confirmed cases of chicken pox.  My kids have all been vaxxed for chicken pox, but I don't know if all of yours can be, so I thought I would mention it.  

Thanks!  We are all up to date on that, but yeah. This time of year is so rough for communicable diseases.  I feel like I need UV sterilization in the cabin of my van 😎

Can't link right now but is it true that Disneyland was given an exemption from the large gatherings ban? 

I just don't get the stupidity if true. 

Edited by Joker
  • Like 3
38 minutes ago, Quill said:

Ooh ooh, I know the answer! Because I just had to figure this out for my own photos. 
Go up to the drop-down list and choose the Attachments tab. Delete old attachments in the same manner as cleaning out PM inbox. Once you have freed up space, it should work again. 

Thank you! 
Except ugh, I just tried it and the photo is still horizontal! Boo. Great tip though! 🙂

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Seriously, I do not see how a couple who are living together can effectively social distance. Even if they're not kissing. Unless you have a large house and can sleep in separate rooms, have separate bathrooms, don't have to share meals. 

With the news that came out today this virus is essentially airborne, so if you have one HVAC system your whole family is likely to get it.  It's time to stay home.

• Like 2
Just now, MEmama said:

Thank you! 
Except ugh, I just tried it and the photo is still horizontal! Boo. Great tip though! 🙂

Well darn! 

I didn’t know there was an attachments limit until recently and that seemed to be the reason it would only post horizontally. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I'm getting the sense that people think that traveling is a bad idea. I think, at this point, given that we have no clue where the cases are, traveling isn't any worse an idea than going outside. Being in crowded places and interacting with other people is a bad idea. That's a description of a plane journey but not of a car journey. So it's not about the travel. 

Travel moves potential cases from one place to another. It is much less bad in a private vehicle than if in an airplane, train, cruise ship etc. 

But even if in a private car it can rapidly take an exposure to a case 0 from, say, Seattle, as a single controllable hot spot, and rapidly move it on to many places as the vehicle occupants stop at restaurants, motels, gas stations etc along the way. 

It isn’t necessarily worse for the individual person traveling, versus going to a local gas station, or restaurant or grocery store, but it is worse as hundreds of people from many places pass through that gas station or restaurant etc.  

That’s probably a reason there are lots of cases in places along the Interstate 5 corridor even if they are not an international travel hub. 

Cases came in at Seattle Internyairport or SanFrancisco, and then travel carried them to other points along the way for new hot dots and clusters

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Joker said:

Can't link right now but is it true that Disneyland was given an exemption from the large gatherings ban? 

I just don't get the stupidity if true. 

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/03/12/coronavirus-california-disneyland-closures-governor-newsom-covid/

“ANAHEIM (CBSLA/AP) – Disneyland and other large theme parks will not required to comply with California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order against large gatherings to counter the spread of COVID-19.

Newsom said California public health officials issued an updated policy saying “non-essential” gatherings such as sporting events, concerts and conferences should be postponed or canceled until at least the end of March.

At a news conference Thursday, Gavin said Disneyland and other large theme parks, theaters and casinos are exempted from his order against gatherings of 250 people or more due to coronavirus due to the “complexity of their unique circumstances”, but discussions remain ongoing”

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Katy said:

With the news that came out today this virus is essentially airborne, so if you have one HVAC system your whole family is likely to get it.  It's time to stay home.

I thought that was not true if you have filters on your air handler. 

Just now, Arcadia said:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/03/12/coronavirus-california-disneyland-closures-governor-newsom-covid/

“ANAHEIM (CBSLA/AP) – Disneyland and other large theme parks will not required to comply with California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order against large gatherings to counter the spread of COVID-19.

Newsom said California public health officials issued an updated policy saying “non-essential” gatherings such as sporting events, concerts and conferences should be postponed or canceled until at least the end of March.

At a news conference Thursday, Gavin said Disneyland and other large theme parks, theaters and casinos are exempted from his order against gatherings of 250 people or more due to coronavirus due to the “complexity of their unique circumstances”, but discussions remain ongoing”

They should at least put in distancing rules.

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

So, I *think* Ohio just closed all k-12 schools?

I turned on CBS to watch LMAD and Dewine is doing a press conference, I *THINK* he just said that starting on Monday, all k12 schools are closed for 3wks.  

Quoting myself to bring it forward....

Local news websites are confirming that all Ohio schools will begin a 3wk spring break starting Monday.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

So, I *think* Ohio just closed all k-12 schools?

I turned on CBS to watch LMAD and Dewine is doing a press conference, I *THINK* he just said that starting on Monday, all k12 schools are closed for 3wks.

Edited:  Sorry, posted same time you did.

Edited by JanOH

Can one of you link me to guidelines or an article with recommendations for those returning from Europe today and tomorrow?  Specifically, Germany.

Self isolate at home for 14 days?  Anything?  

Getting over the flu (confirmed by lab), and still too sick to really hunt for info.  

Thanks.

ETA: my gut says self isolate at home, but as this is an employee... I need a specific guideline, preferably CDC or WHO.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Would an air purifier be a good thing to have?   Would it even work for this? 

I don’t know if that’s known.

based on personal experience with other viruses I tend to think it would help

6 minutes ago, Quill said:

I thought that was not true if you have filters on your air handler. 

An air filter catches dust, not viruses, which are much smaller. 

What I wonder about is the President...  Is the secret service keeping the line of succession away from each other? 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Can one of you link me to guidelines or an article with recommendations for those returning from Europe today and tomorrow?  Specifically, Germany.

Self isolate at home for 14 days?  Anything?  

Getting over the flu (confirmed by lab), and still too sick to really hunt for info.  

Thanks.

No idea on source reliability but does this help

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/03/americans-returning-from-europe-to-self-quarantine-―pence/

says Pence said they will be funneled through specific airports and need to self quarantine.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Plum said:

We are going to have a lot of health care workers on quarantine soon. I do hope they figure out a way to utilize them for telemedicine so they can relieve some of the pressure while getting a paycheck. 

I hope so too.

Unfortunately, I don’t think tele fire fighting is possible and as we move into summer that’s also fire season.

if we have another bad fires year with firefighters out of commission it will be horrible.

In that regard Australia heading into winter as this hits is probably lucky.

I am adding fire issues and keeping fire fighters well as part of my appeal to Governor office. 

1 hour ago, Aura said:

I'm afraid that might happen here. They've got kids everywhere right now on spring break. They'll be back next week.  

Most schools in our area have planned spring break in the next several weeks. Our governor just announced that all K-12 schools have a mandatory 3 week spring break starting Monday. Colleges have already been closed. My poor homeschooled kids are still going to have school. Everything is being cancelled and we'll be stuck at home, so we might as well get some work done!

• Like 3

Cnn:  Schools in France will close over coronavirus

France will impose measures to try and contain the spread of coronavirus including closing schools, postponing non-essential medical procedures and advising elderly people to stay at home, according to French President Emmanuel Macron.

According to the World Health Organization, France has 2,281 cases of coronavirus.

• Sad 1