Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

“SF public schools will be closed for two weeks, starting on Monday. I am in touch with the school district, families, teachers and staff, and city departments about how we can support students, staff and families during this time.

Spring break starts in 2 weeks, so this will essentially be a 3 week closure.” https://mobile.twitter.com/MattHaneySF/status/1238221742918602753

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

I am so extremely worried for this coming summer fires.  

People have got to figure out how to not put the first responders fire departments at risk. 

My city and at least three other cities borders San Jose. Their fire trucks often come over for lunch and grocery shopping. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

You’re not particularly understanding where a lot of us were coming from if you think that particular article would upset anyone there.  I’m in the shrug camp on this in terms of alarm, but I’ve also been home sick for two days and kept even my healthy child out of school just in case he picked anything up from me.  

Not losing one’s mind or being overly worked up about something doesn’t equal ignorance or laughing it off.  *That* is the disconnect between the two sides of this I am talking about.  

Equally those of us who are concerned aren’t losing our minds or being overly worked up. I work in healthcare and it kind of feels like we may have to go to war. So I’m sure you can understand the concern. I’ve been reading accounts from Italy and now Spain and to be honest it fills me with dread about what I may have to do in a few weeks time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Houston is reacting very quickly. Yesterday they cancelled the Rodeo. Today U of H and our local CC have extended spring break an extra week, and will probably be going to online classes. Many, many suburban ISDs are closed next week including ours. Houston ISD will remain open to ensure that kids don't go hungry. All of our local theaters will either postpone or cancel their productions. One local mega church has gone to livestream and I think that will extend to others soon.

I'm glad to see that the mayor and county judge are getting in front of this quickly. They've certainly taken notes from WA and CA. So, thank you to all the West Coast peeps who had to figure out what to do first.

What about the airport?  My son is flying to NZ by way of Houston on Monday.

• Like 1

Oh man.  I started reading one of the posts on the mere motherhood group on this and reminded myself why although I love that group for some things I always run back here for anything that involves a bit of scientific literacy.  
anyway I said my bit for anyone willing to listen and now I’m going to stay away.

• Like 5

I might have missed this being posted, but The Covid-19 tracking project has this Twitter site:

https://mobile.twitter.com/COVID19Tracking

And a website which links to this Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRwAqp96T9sYYq2-i7Tj0pvTf6XVHjDSMIKBdZHXiCGGdNC0ypEU9NbngS8mxea55JuCFuua1MUeOj5/pubhtml

Big uptick in tests done yesterday but slightly lower today, so not ramping up fast enough. Alabama, where @TravelingChris is complaining about lack of testing, is a concern of mine as well. Heard from a friend of ours there who has flu symptoms but a negative flu test, but no one is testing him for Covid-19 even though he travels extensively.

I'm waiting for the locals to wake up. 

I know this sounds nuts but I’m concerned about an uptick in antisemitism on top of the xenophobia with this.  I have seen several conspiracy theories suggesting it’s all a financial plot.  Why do these times bring out the best in some people but the absolute worst in others? 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Penguin said:

My DH will be in the Houston airport tomorrow. I will see what I can find out.

Thanks, but tomorrow might be too late to make any changes to his flight. I've warned him that if we don't change it now, there is a chance he will be stuck in the US for many months. But please still let me know what your DH finds out.

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

Fun fact: we were planning to go to Europe this summer to do tourist stuff and to see my family. We were planning to go to England, France, Israel, and Ukraine. This is the FIRST YEAR of my marriage I've requested fun travel (not simply seeing family, not going to one of DH's conferences) in the summer. 

I'm feeling a bit bitter...

I'm wondering how long it will be before the State Dept announces that they are cancelling all CLS scholarship programs.  (They already cancelled Korea, but before they announced who had been awarded the scholarships.)   Not sure how they will handle the scholarship if they do.  Crossing my fingers that if they do cancel for this summer that they allow the students to go next summer.   

At this point, though, I am really far more concerned about long-term employment/economic issues with so many industries being directly impacted.  The ripple effect of every single decision makes it hard to imagine the outcome in the upcoming months.  We decided today that we have to revamp our monthly budget in case our Aspie ds losses his job due to a downturn in the economy.  Paying 100% of his bills is not something we had planned on but may very well be our reality.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This did make me smile amidst the crazy this morning.

“That every supermarket is sold out of pasta, tinned tomatoes and olive oil reinforces my belief that the only thing quite a lot of Australia knows how to cook is spaghetti bolognese.” 

we eat spag bol at least once a week.  At least - my version which no decent Italian person would recognise.

We have it twice a week. My version that nobody would recognise. Once with spaghetti and once with (drill bit) pasta. Otherwise known as spirals 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

At this point, though, I am really far more concerned about long-term employment/economic issues with so many industries being directly impacted. 

We are just so glad that ds's MIT tuition for next year is not in the stock market. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Thanks, but tomorrow might be too late to make any changes to his flight. I've warned him that if we don't change it now, there is a chance he will be stuck in the US for many months. But please still let me know what your DH finds out.

Ok I thought you just wanted to know the vibe.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I know this sounds nuts but I’m concerned about an uptick in antisemitism on top of the xenophobia with this.  I have seen several conspiracy theories suggesting it’s all a financial plot.  Why do these times bring out the best in some people but the absolute worst in others? 

Im very concerned too.  When Dr John Campbell did a live chat feed version of his videos there were huge numbers of antsemitic anti Jewish comments on the feed (he didn’t repeat any, but they were visible ).  It was very distressing and concerning.  

• Sad 3

I'm glad our coach made the decision not to go to the large event today. Just before it was supposed to start, the sanctioning organization halted all events for the rest of the month and the event was cancelled. We would've travelled for 2 hours and other people, coming from other states, had already arrived at the venue. Almost everything else we were scheduled to do in the next two weeks has been cancelled except for an event ds has tomorrow. That event has already started, is outdoors, and there's not a lot of close contact. I should probably get off the computer and use this time to get to all those projects I'm always putting off!

ETA: My church has about 1,000 people on a regular Sunday in three services. They are going to Facebook Live services for now.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

“SAY WHAT?! Sources at UPS say that drivers are now being required to get signatures from customers for TOILET PAPER deliveries -- because San Franciscans are stealing boxes of it from their neighbors. 😒 Get the latest on the #coronavirus here: https://abc7ne.ws/2IGPomD ”

I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh. Things are crazy when 1)People are getting toilet paper deliveries and, 2) their neighbors are stealing it.

• Haha 2

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/france-closes-schools-coronavirus-covid19-elderly-stay-home-12533674

“PARIS: President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday (Mar 12) announced schools in France would close indefinitely to curb the spread of the coronavirus, and urged people over 70 and the infirm to stay home.

In an address to the nation on the fight against COVID-19, which has already killed 61 people and infected almost 2,900 in France, Macron made clear it can no longer be business as usual.

Daycare centres, schools and universities would close from Monday "until further notice", he said, describing the novel coronavirus as France's most serious health crisis in a century.

But the president also announced that nationwide local elections scheduled for Sunday will not be postponed.”

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Just washing his hands? That works better, anyway. But I know that's hard to do enough. 

That being said, his flight may be EMPTY. People aren't flying much...

I'm not convinced his AirNZ flight is empty, some seats left but my flight agent said not many.  

I'm thinking more about not touching door nobs.  If you need to eat, go to the bathroom on an airplane to wash your hands, you would be touching a lot of stuff. You get back to your seat and use some hand sanitizer.  Trying to think what else you could do.  Perhaps gloves? Maybe winter gloves if he can't find disposable.  I also suggested he ask some friends who aren't travelling far, if he can have their hand sanitizer, but he is not so keen to ask.

@Laura Corin

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-boris-johnson-britain-covid19-loved-ones-die-12529122
“LONDON: Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned on Thursday (Mar 12) that many more families would see their loved ones die from coronavirus, as the government's chief scientific adviser said Britain likely has as many as 10,000 people infected.

Britain and the EU also agreed to cancel face-to-face trade negotiations planned for next week in London due to the outbreak.

At a meeting of the government's emergency committee on Thursday, Johnson moved Britain's response to the outbreak to the so-called "delay phase", aimed at putting off the peak until the summer months, ending a phase of outright containment.

"It's going to spread further," Johnson said at a news conference, flanked by the government's top scientific and medical advisers.

"I must level with you, level with the British public - more families, many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time."”

The local college finally decided to cancel classes. Public school is still planning to go back on Monday, even though there are families out on cruises right now.  They're like "We're cleaning the school really well this week, so don't worry, it's safe!" Fantastic! No one has been there for a week, so yeah, I expect it's pretty germ free at this point. Good luck next week and the week after.

The library is still blissfully ignoring the whole thing and encouraging everyone to come out for fun.    

I finally convinced my dad to cancel his flight to DC, and my sister's choir mercifully decided to cancel their concert this weekend.  Dad is still insisting he'll be able to fly for my cousin's baby shower in late April/Early May. Don't think so, dude. 

My other sister is a dean of a medical school.  She says it's a total $hitshow there right now. First and second year students are being sent home, third and fourth year students are being prepped to assist in hospitals. She's got a lot of really freaked out med students. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

“Honestly I feel like it's a test to see what freedoms we are willing to give up, and this has shown that if a real pandemic occurs we will have no freedoms left, and the people will let them go willingly.   The media is hyping this up in a way I have never seen before”

this was a Facebook post on that group.  Now I really feel cranky.  Um no!  If we do the right thing no one gives up any freedoms.  If we don’t then we are going to need more forcible measures to stop people dying.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I'm not convinced his AirNZ flight is empty, some seats left but my flight agent said not many.  

I'm thinking more about not touching door nobs.  If you need to eat, go to the bathroom on an airplane to wash your hands, you would be touching a lot of stuff. You get back to your seat and use some hand sanitizer.  Trying to think what else you could do.  Perhaps gloves? Maybe winter gloves if he can't find disposable.  I also suggested he ask some friends who aren't travelling far, if he can have their hand sanitizer, but he is not so keen to ask.

Airlines are canceling and consolidating flights so his might be a full flight. 
Tell him to buy wipes, if he can’t find the common travel/packable wipes (e.g.https://www.target.com/p/hand-and-face-wipes-25ct-up-38-up-8482/-/A-16824024.) , buy a pack of baby wipes (e.g. https://www.target.com/p/seventh-generation-baby-wipes-travel-pack-with-flip-top-dispenser-free-38-clear-30ct/-/A-53356493) from the baby aisle. Whatever is good enough for babies is definitely okay for adults. 

• Like 2

Sorry if already posted

University of Alabama and UABirmingham will extended spring break starting Monday and will transition to online classes. UAHuntsville will transition to online on Mar 16. Today is first time that I have seen empty shelves in the local grocery stores. Meat, flour, sanitizer, toilet paper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DS's uni is closing dorms and sending everyone home, all classes will be online for the rest of the semester. This is one of those times when it sucks even more than usual to attend a school 2500 miles from home. Looks like DS and I will be leaving on a 4-day road trip sometime this weekend. 😟

• Sad 4

24 minutes ago, lewelma said:

DS has very little hand sanitizer left.  Any suggestions for alternatives for when he flies for 23 hours? Maybe a soapy washcloth in a plastic bag?

People are stealing hand soap and sanitizer and toilet paper out of public restrooms here.  I would suggest he pack a bar of soap and a wash cloth if possible, along with a bit of toilet paper.

• Thanks 1

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

People are stealing hand soap and sanitizer and toilet paper out of public restrooms here.  I would suggest he pack a bar of soap and a wash cloth if possible, along with a bit of toilet paper.

Wow!  Hadn't thought of that.  I will tell him!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Airlines are canceling and consolidating flights so his might be a full flight. 
Tell him to buy wipes, if he can’t find the common travel/packable wipes (e.g.https://www.target.com/p/hand-and-face-wipes-25ct-up-38-up-8482/-/A-16824024.) , buy a pack of baby wipes (e.g. https://www.target.com/p/seventh-generation-baby-wipes-travel-pack-with-flip-top-dispenser-free-38-clear-30ct/-/A-53356493) from the baby aisle. Whatever is good enough for babies is definitely okay for adults. 

Another good idea. I think he has some wipes. I assume that it would be friction with a wipe that removes virus, rather than a chemical kill. Wipes don't have alcohol in them, do they?

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I carry tiny packs of tissues so that I can use tissues to open doors when necessary.  It might be an option if disposable gloves can't be sourced.

Good thinking. if the TP is being stolen out of restrooms, there may be no paper towels either for opening doors, which is what I think he usually uses. 

There are wipes sold here with alcohol in them (also witch hazel versions), but they typically do not contain enough alcohol to be effective for killing coronavirus. I think the Purell wipes are 62% alcohol, but they are nearly impossible to find right now. Wet Ones antibacterial wipes (a popular US brand) are .3% Benzethonium Chloride.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Legit quarantine going on directly across the street from me. College student, removed from campus to a college-owned house. Dining services is dropping off food at the door. I don’t know the girl. Is there anything I could do to help her out? 

36 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Drop off some feminine products.  Maybe she doesn't need them, but any female could be any place in her cycle if she needs quarantine and that means not being able to hit the store for a very needed product.  Dropping some at the door anonymously and unseen would save embarrassment and if she doesn't need them during quarantine she can still use them later.  

I love this idea! Thank you! 

7 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Another good idea. I think he has some wipes. I assume that it would be friction with a wipe that removes virus, rather than a chemical kill. Wipes don't have alcohol in them, do they?

Alternatively a Leak proof box with chux cloths and whatever solution actually kills it.  Obviously flying means you can’t take much liquid but if you do it right you can make them with the same dampness like baby wipes.  

APSU movesd all classes to online and asked those who can go home to go home. Limited support for students who can’t. (As in dining halls, etc) no university sponsored events to take place, athletics will take place without fans. 

sec tourney in Nashville shut down. No fans allowed anyway.

My county schools are taking a day or two to santize classrooms. Spring break is next week so that’ll be like 10 days with no kids in classrooms. They’ll reevaluate things at the end of spring break.

Just now, lewelma said:

They do. Some are soaking wet.

e.g. https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-instant-hand-sanitizing-wipes-24ct-prodid-1020422

“Active Ingredient: Alcohol (65.9% By Volume). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Carbomer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate.”

• Like 2

ABC: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has tested positive for coronavirus

The manager of Arsenal, one of the richest and biggest football clubs in England and Europe, has tested positive for coronavirus.
Mikel Arteta, 37, and Arsenal's entire first team squad will now be isolated. Arsenal's London training base will be closed.

Keep in mind less than an hour ago, the Premier League announced all this weekend's games will go ahead without interruption and crowds will still be permitted.

UPDATE: The Premier League has announced it will hold an emergency meetings with all clubs tomorrow, in the wake of the Arteta diagnosis, to discuss future fixtures.

• Like 1

Adelaide submarine maintenance facility ASC has closed part of its operations after one of its workers tested positive for coronavirus. It is unclear if this person is one of the 12 already confirmed cases in SA.
in my state.  I think there’s a pretty significant French connection there so probably not surprising 

Breaking: Virgin Australia staff member tests positive for coronavirus

Virgin Australia has confirmed a staff member has tested positive to coronavirus.

In a statement, the airline says the person is in isolation and recieving the appropriate medical treatment.

A spokeswoman has told the ABC the person had contact with the public in their role, but won't reveal their position with the company or location for privacy reasons.

In a statement, the airline says health authorities have begun tracing anyone the person was in contact with, while infectious.

• Sad 1

https://abc7news.com/health/live-coronavirus-updates-disneyland-california-adventure-to-temporarily-shut-down-/5906450/
“21 new cases of COVID-19 in CA, bringing total to 198, Newsom says
Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday morning that there are 198 cases of COVID-19 in the state of California, which amounts to a 10% increase from Wednesday. There have been four deaths so far. Newsom also said 8,227 testing kits are available, and 1,573 tests were conducted in California. The governor added that Quest Diagnostics is conducting 1,200 tests a day.

Newsom says guidance on limiting large gatherings may extend beyond March
California Governor Gavin Newsom also said Thursday that guidance on limiting large gatherings is likely to extend beyond March and will affect pro baseball games.”