Menu

5 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Oh, goodness, seriously? That makes even less sense. Not that it made much sense in the first place... 

Or maybe it allows citizens a chance to get home before more strict restrictions are put in place?

Rather than people clinging to the last planes on way back...   or whatever...

and in reverse gives Europeans a chance to get back to their homes if that’s possible 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 5
  • Replies 18.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• square_25

• Arcadia

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

https://abc7news.com/sports/nba-suspends-remainder-of-season-after-player-tests-positive-for-covid-19/6005163/

“The NBA has suspended its season "until further notice" after a Utah Jazz player tested positive Wednesday for the coronavirus, a move that came only hours after the majority of the league's owners were leaning toward playing games without fans in arenas.

Now there will be no games at all, at least for the time being. A person with knowledge of the situation said the Jazz player who tested positive was center Rudy Gobert. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because neither the league nor the team confirmed the presumptive positive test.”

21 minutes ago, East Coast Sue said:

My dd18 is overseas with a group from her university. They are scheduled to return to the US with a connecting flight through Spain on Friday night. They are trying to get back on an earlier flight, before the travel ban.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is inclined to pray for their safe & timely return to the US. 

It does not apply to US citizens, only foreign nationals

"In a statement following Trump’s address, Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf clarified that the administration was suspending the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in any of 26 European nations in the previous two weeks.

The restriction does not apply to legal permanent residents and immediate family members of U.S. citizens. Wolf said U.S. citizens arriving from Europe will travel through specific airports where they can undergo screening for the virus."

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2
Just now, Pen said:

Or maybe it allows citizens a chance to get home before more strict restrictions are put in place?

Rather than people clinging to the last planes on way back...   or whatever...

Yeah, maybe that’s it. 

4 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I saw an Asian lady buying 8 bottles of organic olive oil at Costco and was puzzled and chalked it up to the custom of many local Asians shipping edibles to their relatives in Asia. But, now I think that hoarding olive oil is ongoing because Italian supply might be affected! Napa valley cannot keep up to national demand.

I bought Spanish Oil last week because the price of Italian Oil had risen so much

I can report, that the National Science Olympiad has cancelled the national competition scheduled in May after a number of state and regionals were cancelled during the last week. This effectively forces the remaining regional and states to follow suit. They have announced they are going to use the same slate of events for 2020-21 so that the work that students have done this year will not be in vain. 

https://www.soinc.org/play/tournaments

Edited by calbear

On a lighter note, DD7 has wanted to be a virus for Purim since, like, December! Since before there was an outbreak...

We made her costume. But man... there was no way to wear it this year without seeming like an insensitive jerk making fun of a sensitive topic. And it turned out so well...

55ADB986-CB76-480D-9205-F86B55F2E045.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, square_25 said:

On a lighter note, DD7 has wanted to be a virus for Purim since, like, December! Since before there was an outbreak...

We made her costume. But man... there was no way to wear it this year without seeming like an insensitive jerk making fun of a sensitive topic. And it turned out so well...

I think she is adorable 

• Like 13

My opinion on Trumps address. 

-Very little specifics on the virus and the exact measures being taken by the administration regarding testing, equipment,  hospital beds, medical workers, ect.   Those are the logistics things that my brain starts worrying about.   He's totally dropped the ball on testing.   I wanted details, he gave vague ideas.

-It sounded like he blamed Europe for not putting more bans in place- weird!  I'm not sure a ban for all flights is going to be effective given the cases we already have.  An the exception for the UK?  Just weird and he did not explain why this would help.  From what I have scene, most of Europe has responded quicker than the Trump administration in regard to honesty, testing, tracking, and communicating with their citizens.

-As for the payroll tax cut- I do not think that's an efficient way to combat this.  I do think allowing people to get Unemployment if sick or caring for a loved one is a better idea.  I think giving a stipend to those on quarantine makes more sense.  Setting up free clinics for testing is another idea I'd like to see. 

- I think it felt like he was more concerned about the economy than the actual virus.  Most of his solutions were about money rather than care, mitigation, ect.

Overall, I do not feel confident in their ability to control the virus or help those impacted.

• Like 18
2 hours ago, square_25 said:

I'd say it's a bit of both. You can understand the math and realize there are a LOT of unknowns. You can also not understand the math. 

This explains the doctors who are a- holes.  

13 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

"In a statement following Trump’s address, Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf clarified that the administration was suspending the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in any of 26 European nations in the previous two weeks.

Right -- so people who have been in the Schengen zone are banned, which seems odd.  Austria, Italy, Germany: banned.  Switzerland, ok.

7 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I think she is adorable 

Thanks! I hope things settle down enough by Halloween that she can wear it by then. We've put a lot of work into this :-P. 

• Like 5

I think the travel bans except citizen at least help reduce air traffic in general which I still think is a good thing ... maybe

I do think it’s maybe too late.  I suspect there’s going to be airlines that go under over this.  A lot of them seem to be already financially stressed.  And I really hope it doesn’t make it harder flying needed supplies back and forward as a lot of cargo is currently taken on passenger flights.  

as far as US people travelling to Europe I think the bans will probably go both ways soon. 

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, East Coast Sue said:

My dd18 is overseas with a group from her university. They are scheduled to return to the US with a connecting flight through Spain on Friday night. They are trying to get back on an earlier flight, before the travel ban.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is inclined to pray for their safe & timely return to the US. 

I will be praying for her and them

42 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Praying.  
there is an exception for Uk so if they can’t they may be able to get home that way?  I didn’t see an exception for returning US citizens but all travel bans here have allowed that.

There is one.  He stated it in his address.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

My opinion on Trumps address. 

-Very little specifics on the virus and the exact measures being taken by the administration regarding testing, equipment,  hospital beds, medical workers, ect.   Those are the logistics things that my brain starts worrying about.   He's totally dropped the ball on testing.   I wanted details, he gave vague ideas.

-It sounded like he blamed Europe for not putting more bans in place- weird!  I'm not sure a ban for all flights is going to be effective given the cases we already have.  An the exception for the UK?  Just weird and he did not explain why this would help.  From what I have scene, most of Europe has responded quicker than the Trump administration in regard to honesty, testing, tracking, and communicating with their citizens.

-As for the payroll tax cut- I do not think that's an efficient way to combat this.  I do think allowing people to get Unemployment if sick or caring for a loved one is a better idea.  I think giving a stipend to those on quarantine makes more sense.  Setting up free clinics for testing is another idea I'd like to see. 

- I think it felt like he was more concerned about the economy than the actual virus.  Most of his solutions were about money rather than care, mitigation, ect.

Overall, I do not feel confident in their ability to control the virus or help those impacted.

VP Pence and his team which includes Anthony Fauci, who I do believe, are in charge of the medical.  

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2020/03/11/episcopal-diocese-washington-closes-dozens-churches-including-national-cathedral-two-weeks/%3foutputType=amp

The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia is closing all churches. All services are cancelled as well as weekday programs and meeting and service projects. 

• Like 2

The president isn't an all powerful figure who can just say, "Money for you, and you, and you, and you". Congress is the one with the power and who actually has to pass things. Unemployment is really a state by state system, so lobby your states to allow those who are quarantined to access it like mine has. 

• Like 9

Please, no matter what we think of the political end of commentary on this virus, please don't let this thread get political.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
34 minutes ago, square_25 said:

That’s darling!

Is coronavirus virus the Haman (is that right name?) of 2020?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
5 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Am I misreading it, or is he advocating taking the virus seriously and changing behavior? 

He is discussing which behavior could potentially do more harm and why, and makes some very good points even though it would be tough to tease out causal factors.  But by the very nature of discussing the extremes and guarding against the worst impulses we improve our response.  There are some bits I’m not on board with but it’s a good thread for those who really aren’t listening to risk and scale. Especially on a meta level

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, square_25 said:

How so? 🙂

I wasn't just thinking about the math part,  It was more about the unknown part- or the part they do not know.  I had a doctor who told me that vasculitis is only a children's disease and that i was so wrong to inquire about it---- completely wrong- in fact, it is much more common in adults, insluding autoimmune patients and cancer patients.  OR the a-holes who think that whatever dumb theory they have is obviously the answer and obviously there can be no other answer.  I now fire doctors who claim they know everything.  I like doctors who admit that they and research doesn't know everything.  Like my concierge doctor and I were talking today about both my labile hypertension and my liver functions and he told me that they know that acetomeniphen ( Paracematol) damages the liver, they know alcohol damages liver, they know many medications tax the liver, but they have no idea and no guidance is given to doctors about how much less of the first you should give based on if you have a drinker or a person taking medications that tax the liver.  

Good doctors I have tell me that I am a complicated patient and they can only do the best they can.  I appreciate them realizing that. I am.  Most of us who have had an autoimmune illness since the teens have numerous autoimmune diseases and yes, we are complicated patients.  What the general attitude of us patients is, and I am on many facebook and other groups of people with one of my diseases,  please don't dismiss us but work with us.  We don't expect cures- but we do expect respectful dialogue.

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

He is discussing which behavior could potentially do more harm and why, and makes some very good points even though it would be tough to tease out causal factors.  But by the very nature of discussing the extremes and guarding against the worst impulses we improve our response.  There are some bits I’m not on board with but it’s a good thread for those who really aren’t listening to risk and scale. Especially on a meta level

Ah, I see. I agree with most things in that thread. 

“NY Looks to Private Labs to Boost Virus Testing

4 hours ago

Through an emergency use authorization, the US Food and Drug Administration has authorized Northwell Health Labs to move from manual testing for COVID-19 to semi-automated testing.” https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/ny-looks-to-private-labs-to-boost-virus-testing/2252643/

“LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — One of the nation’s largest hospital labs began semi-automated testing Wednesday for the novel coronavirus, multiplying their ability to get results.

This as the number of positive tests continue to rise on Long Island. Nassau County has 28, including one in critical condition, while Suffolk County has six cases, CBS2’s Carolyn Gusoff reported.

There’s now a machine that will quickly process coronavirus tests, a dramatic ramping up from just days ago when only manual testing was available on Long Island.

Now, Northwell Health Labs technicians no longer have to manually run the tedious test one at a time.

“This test will definitely be a game changer, because it allows us to ramp up form doing dozens of tests a day to hundreds of tests a day, increase our capacity quite a bit,” Dr. Greg Berry said.” https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-northwell-health-labs-testing-long-island/

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

“NY Looks to Private Labs to Boost Virus Testing

4 hours ago

Through an emergency use authorization, the US Food and Drug Administration has authorized Northwell Health Labs to move from manual testing for COVID-19 to semi-automated testing.” https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/ny-looks-to-private-labs-to-boost-virus-testing/2252643/

“LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — One of the nation’s largest hospital labs began semi-automated testing Wednesday for the novel coronavirus, multiplying their ability to get results.

This as the number of positive tests continue to rise on Long Island. Nassau County has 28, including one in critical condition, while Suffolk County has six cases, CBS2’s Carolyn Gusoff reported.

There’s now a machine that will quickly process coronavirus tests, a dramatic ramping up from just days ago when only manual testing was available on Long Island.

Now, Northwell Health Labs technicians no longer have to manually run the tedious test one at a time.

“This test will definitely be a game changer, because it allows us to ramp up form doing dozens of tests a day to hundreds of tests a day, increase our capacity quite a bit,” Dr. Greg Berry said.” https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-northwell-health-labs-testing-long-island/

Of course, at our current rate, we need more than hundreds of tests... but perhaps other labs will do something similar? 

Heard about the Orthodox Jewish community in N NJ (Bergen Cty). 

The RCBC (Rabbincal Council of Bergen County) just voted to shut the whole community down. Email coming tomorrow:
No Shul (synagogue attendance is thrice daily for men.  This is unheard of. Men go to shul unless there's something important happening)
No Restaurants (Take-Out only)
No Shiva (traditional seven day mourning period when people come to the mourner's home to pay respects and memorialize the person)
No Funerals (only a minyan - 10 Jewish men))
No Simchas (Bar or Bat MItzvahs, Weddings, partys of any type)
No Play dates 
No Shabbos Meals (Having people over on the Sabbath is a big deal - we've had up to 35 people at our meals)

The same source said that the main Orthodox (non-Hassidic) Jewish educational organization (Torah u'Mesorah) is going to recommend all their schools be closed ASAP.  This is a HUGE deal. Torah learning is paramount in this crowd and to stop school is unheard of.

Edited by YaelAldrich
added some stuff.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 12
14 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I wasn't just thinking about the math part,  It was more about the unknown part- or the part they do not know.  I had a doctor who told me that vasculitis is only a children's disease and that i was so wrong to inquire about it---- completely wrong- in fact, it is much more common in adults, insluding autoimmune patients and cancer patients.  OR the a-holes who think that whatever dumb theory they have is obviously the answer and obviously there can be no other answer.  I now fire doctors who claim they know everything.  I like doctors who admit that they and research doesn't know everything.  Like my concierge doctor and I were talking today about both my labile hypertension and my liver functions and he told me that they know that acetomeniphen ( Paracematol) damages the liver, they know alcohol damages liver, they know many medications tax the liver, but they have no idea and no guidance is given to doctors about how much less of the first you should give based on if you have a drinker or a person taking medications that tax the liver.  

Good doctors I have tell me that I am a complicated patient and they can only do the best they can.  I appreciate them realizing that. I am.  Most of us who have had an autoimmune illness since the teens have numerous autoimmune diseases and yes, we are complicated patients.  What the general attitude of us patients is, and I am on many facebook and other groups of people with one of my diseases,  please don't dismiss us but work with us.  We don't expect cures- but we do expect respectful dialogue.

Yeah, I've had trouble getting doctors to listen to me. I've also frankly had trouble with doctors knowing math, including issues that were basically logic and arithmetic... for instance, my OB used the date of my last period to predict the due date for DD3.75, ignored the fact that I told her my periods were NOT 28 days apart but almost a week longer (and therefore I ovulated a week later, and therefore the due date needed to be pushed a week) and ignored the fact that the 6 week ultrasound matched better with what I told her than with the meaningless due date she calculated using my last period ("We don't adjust the due date predicted using the last period unless it's not consistent with the 6 week ultrasound!" even though the due date predicted with my last period was totally meaningless given my actual periods).

And I rolled my eyes and didn't care that much until later on, DD's head was a bit on the small side on the ultrasounds, and according to the illogical due date, was below the 5th percentile (using a correct due date, it was considerably above, although still small), and then I had to get unnecessary extra ultrasounds to monitor her growth...  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Heard about the Orthodox Jewish community in N NJ (Bergen Cty). 

The RCBC (Rabbincal Council of Bergen County) just voted to shut the whole community down. Email coming tomorrow:
No Shul
No Restaurants (Take-Out only)
No Shiva (traditional seven day mourning period when people come to the mourner's home to pay respects and memorialize the person)
No Funerals (only a minyan - 10 Jewish men))
No Simchas (Bar or Bat MItzvahs, Weddings, partys of any type)
No Play dates 
No Shabbos Meals (Having people over on the Sabbath is a big deal - we've had up to 35 people at our meals)

The same source said that the main Orthodox (non-Hassidic) Jewish educational organization (Torah u'Mesorah) is going to recommend all their schools be closed ASAP.  This is a HUGE deal. Torah learning is paramount in this crowd and to stop school is unheard of.

They just had a death there, didn't they? 

I know they've closed a few Jewish day schools in NYC as well -- we have friends through younger DD's preschool who attend those... don't know if they are staying closed or not. 

• Like 1

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3074682/china-sends-team-medical-experts-gear-help-italy-fight

“China sends team of medical experts, gear to help Italy fight coronavirus

• Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio had asked his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi for assistance with supplies
  • Nation of 60 million people is the worst-hit after China and has been placed under lockdown

Local media said the Red Cross Society of China was leading a team of medical experts heading for Italy on Wednesday, taking supplies and equipment with them.

It follows a phone call between the two countries’ foreign ministers late on Tuesday, in which China’s Wang Yi responded to a request for help from his Italian counterpart Luigi Di Maio.

Wang told Di Maio that China would send medical equipment to the country, and also offered to send medical personnel to help tackle the outbreak in Italy, according to a statement on the Chinese foreign ministry website.

Di Maio had told Wang that Italy was “paying close attention to and learning from” China’s experience with the coronavirus, but had a shortage of medical equipment and he hoped China would help with this “pressing need”, the statement said.

The seven-member team includes an expert from the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention and two respiratory disease specialists from Sichuan University’s West China Hospital, according to the official Sichuan Daily.

It comes after prominent Chinese epidemiologist Zhong Nanshan briefed medical experts last week on how the virus had been managed in the country – including diagnosis, treatment, its pathological features, information disclosure and government controls – in a webinar organised by the European Respiratory Society.”

Edited by Arcadia
Edited out the article’s photo caption since I didn’t copy the photo
  • Like 6
4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3074682/china-sends-team-medical-experts-gear-help-italy-fight

“China sends team of medical experts, gear to help Italy fight coronavirus

• Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio had asked his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi for assistance with supplies
  • Nation of 60 million people is the worst-hit after China and has been placed under lockdown

Local media said the Red Cross Society of China was leading a team of medical experts heading for Italy on Wednesday, taking supplies and equipment with them.

It follows a phone call between the two countries’ foreign ministers late on Tuesday, in which China’s Wang Yi responded to a request for help from his Italian counterpart Luigi Di Maio.

Wang told Di Maio that China would send medical equipment to the country, and also offered to send medical personnel to help tackle the outbreak in Italy, according to a statement on the Chinese foreign ministry website.

Di Maio had told Wang that Italy was “paying close attention to and learning from” China’s experience with the coronavirus, but had a shortage of medical equipment and he hoped China would help with this “pressing need”, the statement said.

A look at China’s industrial and transport hub Wuhan before and after its coronavirus lockdown

The seven-member team includes an expert from the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention and two respiratory disease specialists from Sichuan University’s West China Hospital, according to the official Sichuan Daily.

It comes after prominent Chinese epidemiologist Zhong Nanshan briefed medical experts last week on how the virus had been managed in the country – including diagnosis, treatment, its pathological features, information disclosure and government controls – in a webinar organised by the European Respiratory Society.”

Ah, willingness to learn from others.  

I am worried that the leadership here, who thinks the US does everything better than everyone else and no other country could possibly have anything to teach us, will just try to reinvent the wheel on this, to our detriment.  Just like with the testing situation.  🤬

• Like 7
  • Sad 4
14 minutes ago, square_25 said:

They just had a death there, didn't they? 

I know they've closed a few Jewish day schools in NYC as well -- we have friends through younger DD's preschool who attend those... don't know if they are staying closed or not. 

No, the big hullabaloo is in New Rochelle about 40 minutes (in good traffic!) away in NY.  This is a large community though and I hope it will slow things down.  We just finished a holiday all about Jews giving gifts to each other, eating and drinking together and listening to the Book of Esther together.  And we are 30 days from Passover.  Families get together and eat and celebrate for 8 days.  Oh my.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

No, the big hullabaloo is in New Rochelle about 40 minutes (in good traffic!) away in NY.  This is a large community though and I hope it will slow things down.  We just finished a holiday all about Jews giving gifts to each other, eating and drinking together and listening to the Book of Esther together.  And we are 30 days from Passover.  Families get together and eat and celebrate for 8 days.  Oh my.

I think there was a Bergen County death, in fact, but maybe not in the Jewish community! Unless I’m remembering wrong.

We’re Jewish and in NYC :-).

• Like 1

Perspectives of the management of COVID-19 infection in China
Nanshan Zhong  (Guangzhou, China)
Tuesday, 3 March 2020

https://www.ers-education.org/Media/Media.aspx?idMedia=468009

Interview on Coronavirus COVID-19 management experience in China
Anita Simonds (London, United Kingdom), Nanshan Zhong (Guangzhou, China)
Wednesday, 4 March 2020. Please Watch Prof Zhong's presentation, then see this Q&A session, for futher exploration and discussion of this unique experience in China'

https://www.ers-education.org/Media/Media.aspx?idMedia=468011

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

So, basically more xenophobia. Shocking.

I have been very relieved to see that this thread hasn't devolved into something political. Until this. This was unnecessary.  It was the same with the travel ban from China--American citizens were/are allowed in. Why wasn't that xenophobia? How can you say that a ban on Europeans is xenophobia, but Asians is not? Because this ISN'T xenophobia. It's prudence. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, popmom said:

I have been very relieved to see that this thread hasn't devolved into something political. Until this. This was unnecessary.  It was the same with the travel ban from China--American citizens were/are allowed in. Why wasn't that xenophobia? How can you say that a ban on Europeans is xenophobia, but Asians is not? Because this ISN'T xenophobia. It's prudence. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

I agree that stopping international travel is prudent. Even cutting it back a lot is prudent.

but I think we should give @SeaConquest a little grace here.  She’s going into nursing and is anticipating beingin a frontline area in a state with substantial numbers of cases.

Plus exams she’s stressed about.

Let’s all chill on the political leaning side of comments.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, Pen said:

I agree that stopping international travel is prudent. Even cutting it back a lot is prudent.

but I think we should give @SeaConquest a little grace here.  She’s going into nursing and is in a frontline area in a state with substantial numbers of cases. Plus exams.  

Let’s all chill on the political leaning side of comments.

I totally agree. I'm all about grace. Seriously. I don't think I was harsh in what I said. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, popmom said:

I totally agree. I'm all about grace. Seriously. I don't think I was harsh in what I said. 

Ok I am all for extending you grace too!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Pen said:

Ok I am all for extending you grace too!

Pm me why you have to show me grace over this. plz Where is my sin?

Edited by popmom

I think banning all international travel made sense a month ago. Ban all travel except for US citizens coming BACK, and test all citizens on arrival. 

But why bother now? The call is coming from inside the house...

• Like 8
3 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Point taken. You are right. I apologize.

You can apologize for wishing something bad for him, but otherwise you are spot on.

I’ll say it . The man is a vile, indecent human who has made millions upon millions spewing hate and lies. His program was the impetus for extreme talk radio. He and his ditto-heads can shove it.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how Rudy Gobert contacted CV19? And whether the microphones he touched when joking about CV19 got disinfected? 

• Like 2

This might be posted already 🇩🇰 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-denmark-covid-19-schools-universities-shut-12529178
“COPENHAGEN: Denmark will close all schools and universities and will start sending home all employees in the public sector with non-critical jobs in the coming days to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the prime minister said on Wednesday (Mar 11).

Denmark had 514 people diagnosed with the coronavirus as of Wednesday, rising 10-fold since Monday in what Health Minister Magnus Heunicke described as the "most dramatic increase seen in Europe".

All students at schools and universities will be sent home from Friday, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said, adding that all day care facilities will be closed from Monday.

Frederiksen also urged all events with more than 100 people to be cancelled, tightening the number from 1,000 previously.

“All private-sector employers are encouraged to ensure that as many employees as possible are able to work from home,” Frederiksen said, as quoted by Bloomberg.

“We need to limit activity in society as much as possible, without letting our society grind to a halt.”

"This will have huge consequences, but the alternative would be far worse," said Frederiksen according to the Local, which quoted the Ekstra Bladet newspaper.

"Under normal circumstances, a government would not present such far-reaching measures without having all the solutions ready for the many Danes concerned, but we are in an extraordinary situation."

About US$20 billion in tax breaks will be given to help companies cope with the fallout of the coronavirus, Bloomberg reported.

"We will not get through this as a country without a cost. Businesses will close. Some will lose their jobs. We will do what we can to mitigate the consequences for employees," the prime minister said.

Søren Brostrøm, director of the The Danish Health Authority, said that he expected the number of cases to increase rapidly in the coming days and weeks.

Neighbouring Sweden, with around 460 confirmed cases, reported its first death on Wednesday. The country has banned public gatherings of more than 500 people to stop the spread of the disease.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I think banning all international travel made sense a month ago. Ban all travel except for US citizens coming BACK, and test all citizens on arrival. 

But why bother now? The call is coming from inside the house...

Because it will still help.

It won’t make USA a CV19 free region.

But it can be one (of many many many) needed step to help keep the rate of CV19 transmission lower and thus to help keep the medical system from collapsing.  It is a huge important thing and really important to understand how important it is to slooow down the SARS-CoV-2 virus. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

But that's such a "meaningless comparative!"

From Rush Limbaugh today (3/11/20):

"The flu has a mortality rate of about 0.1%, so Fauci places the new coronavirus lethality rate at somewhere around 1%. That’s the story. It isn’t that it’s 10 times more lethal than the flu, and this is how this crap gets politicized!

Pardon my yelling, but this stuff is what ticks me off, and my instincts tell me this. I know this kind of trickery and monkeying around with stuff is going on in these things because I know the media, I know the left, I know the Democrat Party, and I know how they’re trying to scare everybody and now they’re using Fauci here. “This is Trump’s guy! Trump’s guy is saying it’s 10 times more lethal than the flu,” which means nothing.

Ten times more lethal? Lethal than what? What does lethal mean? Does lethal kill you? Does lethal infect you? Does lethal give you a temperature of 102 versus 100? What does it do to you? It’s a meaningless comparative. Ten times more lethal? The only thing worth knowing in this story is that Anthony Fauci says the fatality rate to coronavirus is much less than what they believed."

[edited to move the author of the piece to the top so no one thinks these are my words! 😂]

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, but after reading this quotation, I had to look it up. The way I understood it from the excerpt above was that Rush Limbaugh thought the mortality rate of 1% somehow wasn't 10 times more than the mortality rate of 0.1%. But after I read it the whole thing in context, it is clear to me that is not what he was saying at all: https://archive.is/TxU5c. He was making a point about how the headlines choose to portray the story. In his opinion, the important thing about what Fauci had said was that the mortality rate of COVID was 1%, which is significantly lower than previous estimates of 3-4%. If that's true, obviously, then that's good news. But does it get portrayed as such? Not at all. The headline writers choose to hide the good news and write the most negative headline they could think of: "COVID19 10x more lethal than the flu!" His further rant about "lethal" is more of the same. Basically, if the real news here is "hey, this might not be as terrible as we initially thought (still terrible, but much less terrible)" why does the headline not say that?

I'm personally not a COVID19 optimist. I take it very seriously and have been in prepping mode for months now. Like many here, I've had my fair share of debates with the "just the flu" crowd. My family has been following Taiwanese news on this disease from the beginning, back before the Wuhan lockdown. There was fear the fatality rate of this was going to be close to that of SARS (close to 10%). I remember the sense of dread we felt when Wuhan lockdown was announced, back before we knew anything about the fatality rate. So I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Limbaugh's outlook on COVID19. (I don't really know what his outlook even is.) But it seems like the quote above was deliberately chosen to make it seem like a) Limbaugh doesn't know basic math, b) Limbaugh doesn't understand what "lethal" means. Basically, more of the exact politicization that Limbaugh is complaining about.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2020/03/11/intel-employee-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html
“An Intel Corp. employee has contracted the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, according to a company spokeswoman.

Santa Clara-based Intel is not disclosing personal information about the employee, including which office the employee is based at, said Linda Qian, a communications manager for Intel Corp. The company confirmed that the employee recently took a business trip at Intel's Chandler, Arizona, campus.

The employee was on the Chandler campus March 2-3 and has not been on any other Intel campuses since then, she said.

Intel is headquartered in Santa Clara and has about 8,400 employees in Silicon Valley, though its largest workforce is in Oregon, where it has 20,000 employees based across four campuses in Washington County. It has another 10,000 or so in Chandler.”

12 minutes ago, OneThoughtMayHideAnother said:

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, but after reading this quotation, I had to look it up. The way I understood it from the excerpt above was that Rush Limbaugh thought the mortality rate of 1% somehow wasn't 10 times more than the mortality rate of 0.1%. But after I read it the whole thing in context, it is clear to me that is not what he was saying at all: https://archive.is/TxU5c. He was making a point about how the headlines choose to portray the story. In his opinion, the important thing about what Fauci had said was that the mortality rate of COVID was 1%, which is significantly lower than previous estimates of 3-4%. If that's true, obviously, then that's good news. But does it get portrayed as such? Not at all. The headline writers choose to hide the good news and write the most negative headline they could think of: "COVID19 10x more lethal than the flu!" His further rant about "lethal" is more of the same. Basically, if the real news here is "hey, this might not be as terrible as we initially thought (still terrible, but much less terrible)" why does the headline not say that?

I'm personally not a COVID19 optimist. I take it very seriously and have been in prepping mode for months now. Like many here, I've had my fair share of debates with the "just the flu" crowd. My family has been following Taiwanese news on this disease from the beginning, back before the Wuhan lockdown. There was fear the fatality rate of this was going to be close to that of SARS (close to 10%). I remember the sense of dread we felt when Wuhan lockdown was announced, back before we knew anything about the fatality rate. So I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Limbaugh's outlook on COVID19. (I don't really know what his outlook even is.) But it seems like the quote above was deliberately chosen to make it seem like a) Limbaugh doesn't know basic math, b) Limbaugh doesn't understand what "lethal" means. Basically, more of the exact politicization that Limbaugh is complaining about.

Oh you sweet summer child...
You may have not learned yet that on this board and more than a few segments of the population it is distinctly impossible to be fair to Limbaugh or even seek to halfway understand his context.  It was rather nice to see someone try, but don’t expect it to make a dent here.  That ship sailed along time ago. This and his other recent segments are all making the same points, but that context is not going to matter to someone who already hates him and his listeners.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 6