Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Just now, lewelma said:

It seemed so reasonable 2 days ago to pick a Monday flight.  But things are moving fast.  NZ has no current cases -- the 5 we had have recovered. So I don't think Trump with ban flights to NZ, and NZ would not ban the flights, just require self-quarantine. I am more worried that United and AirNZ will cancel flights for lack of travellers. 

I think from some stuff I’ve seen they have to keep a certain number of flights running if they want to continue to own rights to fly that route?

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/airport-slots-ghost-flights/index.html

hopefully this means that they will keep flying for a bit.

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Your son is at MIT? Does he have a place to go while figuring out his next step? We aren’t in Boston but not *too* far away if he needs a temporary place...

Im sorry you and he are in this position. DS is thinking about going to school in the UK, so I can only imagine... 😞

Yes, he is at MIT and has been told to leave by Tuesday.  Thanks for the offer!  Actually, 2 other boardies in Boston have also been in touch too. 

DS is finishing classes tomorrow, then packing on Saturday, boxes picked up on Sunday, flight on Monday.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

From WaPo live updates. 

With 5 cases of COVID-19 in Ohio and very few people tested so far, I've assumed we have extensive community transmission. But this estimate--potentially more than 100,000 people in our state--blows me away.

While I disagree with Governor DeWine on most issues, his announcement on closing K-12 schools and banning gatherings over 100 people is exactly the kind of leadership we need right now. And it's none too soon.

Ohio officials believe more than 100,000 people in the state carry coronavirus, underscoring limited testing

Ohio officials said Thursday that more than 100,000 people in the state are believed to carry the novel coronavirus, reinforcing fears that infections are far more widespread in the United States than limited testing confirms.

“We know now, just the fact of community spread says that at least 1 percent, at the very least 1 percent of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today,” said Amy Acton, director of the Ohio Department of Health.

Ohio has just five confirmed cases of the virus and several dozen cases under investigation, Gov. Mike DeWine (R) said Thursday. But authorities there have been alarmed by evidence of community transmission and are taking drastic new steps to slow the coronavirus’s spread, including banning mass gatherings and closing all schools for at least three weeks.

The “extended spring break” set to begin Monday will affect more than a million students. Many schools throughout the country have closed amid coronavirus fears, but authorities have been reluctant to enact such a dramatic measure statewide.

Officials count more than 1,000 cases of coronavirus in the United States. But experts warn that this number does not capture the true extent of the spread, especially because efforts to test for the virus have run into glitches and critical delays.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

One thing I’m wondering.  How strong is our internet going to be?  If more and more service move online is it likely to get overloaded?  

My WiFi service has been cranky this morning at the community college campus and when using our personal hotspot. Many in my area are working from home and four local community colleges are switching to fully online starting March 16th. I won’t be surprised if internet outages happen next week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Yes, he is at MIT and has been told to leave by Tuesday.  Thanks for the offer!  Actually, 2 other boardies in Boston have also been in touch too. 

DS is finishing classes tomorrow, then packing on Saturday, boxes picked up on Sunday, flight on Monday.  

I hope it all goes well with his flight. I’m sure you can’t wait to have him home. ((Hugs))

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

BNO: Disneyland in California will close due to coronavirus, only the 4th time in the park's history - NYT

LOL -- And I'm learning about it from someone in Australia?!! (I'm the mom whose ds works there. He may still be working, though as he does lots of maintenance work after park hours.)

ETA got the text from my ds just as I clicked "submit"

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

LOL -- And I'm learning about it from someone in Australia?!! (I'm the mom whose ds works there. He may still be working, though as he does lots of maintenance work after park hours.)

Lol who learned it from a backyard news service in the Netherlands or wherever... funny world we live in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

One thing I’m wondering.  How strong is our internet going to be?  If more and more service move online is it likely to get overloaded?  I know in my area (semi rural) on weekends or evenings when everyone’s home it already gets really slow.  I can imagine if everyone’s locked down and trying to school and work online it will probably just fall over.  

True. We dont have great internet under the best of conditions. 

• Like 1

More on Maryland 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-dc-maryland-coronavirus-news-thursday/2020/03/12/77d178ce-6410-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Suspending prison visits contributed to riots in Italy.  Although I understand why it’s necessary.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

At this point, all that matters is HOW MANY people you come in contact with. 

I absolutely see the point about highway rest stops, though. I didn't think of that. 

Except if soneone with the virus comes through a rest stop or gas station & sheds the virus, you can pick it up there (some % of possibility anyway) even if you aren't physically in the space with them at the same time.

I agree on the fact that it is wide-spread already, just that we don't all need to be traveling around & spreading it more. I'm against peope in my community driving to Big City for state championship basketball games & then bringing back more people who have likely been exposed to the virus. So, yes, I'm absolutely against travel. Stay home!

(And now I'm heading to the grocery store, so yeah, I realize that makes me a bit of a hypocrite. But it is a block from me.)

• Thanks 2

Update from Israel: 

109 cases, including a 6-month old baby, an 18mo ,and a couple of elementary school kids.  As of yesterday, gatherings of over 100 people are banned.  That includes weddings, synagogues, etc.  As of tonight, public schools are closed until mid-April.  My husband's university is delaying their start by one week and then going exclusively online.  Testing is far more available than in the US but obviously insufficient; the government says that testing will increase 4X over the next few days.  The emergency services are rolling out some sort of telemedicine option to try to keep non-urgent patients out of the hospitals.  

Jewish law gives enormous priority to not endangering human life and the Orthodox religious establishment here -- which I am normally no great fan of, I hasten to add -- is really stepping up to reinforce the Health Ministry's dictates through its own authority.  It is not yet clear how synagogues are going to handle the 100 person limit, not least of all because on Shabbat technology is prohibited, but the religious authorities are being just as insistent as the secular government authorities that these rules must be followed.  

We rented a car today to go do a big shopping run at a large supermarket and it was busy -- as is typical for a Thursday -- but not insane.  A few folks were wearing masks and they were offering gloves at the door (I was one of the few who took a pair).   There were sale displays of tuna fish and sanitizers but still seemed to be plenty in stock.

My kids were/are in school here for the first time after being homeschooled all their lives, so it's a little nuts that school is now being cancelled because of a global pandemic, but here we are.  We are going to reorganize our rented apartment tomorrow to make it more usable for DH to work at home and for the kids to homeschool.  At least I brought our math books, although apparently DS12 left his in his locker at school, sigh.  Theoretically the schools are supposed to set up some sort of distance learning but I'll believe it when I see it.  

We are also supposed to get a massive storm beginning tonight with 60mph winds, dust clouds, and severe flooding, so things are feeling a little apocalyptic here in the Holy Land.

Edited by JennyD
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Bno:

Maryland and Ohio will close all public schools from Monday due to coronavirus

MD has also closed the port of Baltimore to cruise ships.  He's also banning all gatherings of more than 250 including religious services.   Non essential Gov't employees are required to telecommute.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Update from Israel: 

109 cases, including a 6-month old baby, an 18mo ,and a couple of elementary school kids.  As of yesterday, gatherings of over 100 people are banned.  That includes weddings, synagogues, etc.  As of tonight, public schools are closed until mid-April.  My husband's university is delaying their start by one week and then going exclusively online.  Testing is far more available than in the US but obviously insufficient; the government says that testing will increase 4X over the next few days.  The emergency services are rolling out some sort of telemedicine option to try to keep non-urgent patients out of the hospitals.  

Jewish law gives enormous priority to not endangering human life and the Orthodox religious establishment here -- which I am normally no great fan of, I hasten to add -- is really stepping up to reinforce the Health Ministry's dictates through its own authority.  It is not yet clear how synagogues are going to handle the 100 person limit, not least of all because on Shabbat technology is prohibited, but the religious authorities are being just as insistent as the secular government authorities that these rules must be followed.  

My kids were/are in school here for the first time after being homeschooled all their lives, so it's a little nuts that school is now being cancelled because of a global pandemic, but here we are.  We are going to reorganize our rented apartment tomorrow to make it more usable for DH to work at home and for the kids to homeschool.  At least I brought our math books, although apparently DS12 left his in his locker at school, sigh.  Theoretically the schools are supposed to set up some sort of distance learning but I'll believe it when I see it.  

We are also supposed to get a massive storm beginning tonight with 60mph winds, dust clouds, and severe flooding, so things are feeling a little apocalyptic here in the Holy Land.

Stay safe there 

• Like 1

This did make me smile amidst the crazy this morning.

“That every supermarket is sold out of pasta, tinned tomatoes and olive oil reinforces my belief that the only thing quite a lot of Australia knows how to cook is spaghetti bolognese.” 

we eat spag bol at least once a week.  At least - my version which no decent Italian person would recognise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

16 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

BNO: Disneyland in California will close due to coronavirus, only the 4th time in the park's history - NYT

12 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

The hotels will stay open til Monday. Downtown Disney staying open

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/travel-information/

“Update on Disneyland Resort Operations

While there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Disneyland Resort, after carefully reviewing the guidelines of the Governor of California’s executive order and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month.

The Hotels of Disneyland Resort will remain open until Monday, March 16 to give guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements; Downtown Disney will remain open. We will monitor the ongoing situation and follow the advice and guidance of federal and state officials and health agencies. Disney will continue to pay cast members during this time.

Disneyland Resort will work with guests who wish to change or cancel their visits, and will provide refunds to those who have hotel bookings during this closure period. We anticipate heavy call volume over the next several days and appreciate guests’ patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Fun fact: we were planning to go to Europe this summer to do tourist stuff and to see my family. We were planning to go to England, France, Israel, and Ukraine. This is the FIRST YEAR of my marriage I've requested fun travel (not simply seeing family, not going to one of DH's conferences) in the summer. 

I'm feeling a bit bitter...

You and I can cry and scream together. Dh and I were supposed to go to Scotland and France this year for our 25th. First time I'd have ever been overseas. *sigh* 

• Sad 5

21 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Now...no March Madness at all.

Thanks for posting this. DS has been waiting to hear if his championship was going to be cancelled, so I guess this answers the question. I understand why they did it, but I am so sad for all the kids who have worked and trained and sacrificed all year to make it to an NCAA Championship, and won't get to compete  (especially the graduating seniors, who will never have another chance). 😟

• Sad 6

21 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Fun fact: we were planning to go to Europe this summer to do tourist stuff and to see my family. We were planning to go to England, France, Israel, and Ukraine. This is the FIRST YEAR of my marriage I've requested fun travel (not simply seeing family, not going to one of DH's conferences) in the summer. 

I'm feeling a bit bitter...

We were going to Europe in May in part to visit my children's ailing 83-yr-old grandmother, who has been desperate to see the kids. It's seeming less and less likely that she will ever see them again, which totally breaks my heart. 😥

• Sad 12

It will be interesting when all this is over to see the impact of different government policies on the spread.  Seems like right now it is individuals companies, universities, schools, etc who are choosing to close, but there is no coordinated government response at the local, state, or national level. The article that someone posted a few pages back was very very good at explaining the data science and the impact of policy.   

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Except if soneone with the virus comes through a rest stop or gas station & sheds the virus, you can pick it up there (some % of possibility anyway) even if you aren't physically in the space with them at the same time.

I agree on the fact that it is wide-spread already, just that we don't all need to be traveling around & spreading it more. I'm against peope in my community driving to Big City for state championship basketball games & then bringing back more people who have likely been exposed to the virus. So, yes, I'm absolutely against travel. Stay home!

(And now I'm heading to the grocery store, so yeah, I realize that makes me a bit of a hypocrite. But it is a block from me.)

I think we need to phrase that as avoid unnecessary travel.  

We don’t want to use up emergency items yet, so I think keeping up with groceries is still important.

• Like 5

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-gossip/tom-hanks-and-wife-rita-wilson-were-infected-with-coronavirus-before-coming-to-australia-c-742707

for those who were wondering, at this stage it’s believed the Hankses probably brought the Coronavirus with them.  

I know that sounds kinda niggly but I think it’s important to know for us to know if we have more community spread than we realised.  Although I suspect at this point we are only a day or two behind.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, lewelma said:

It will be interesting when all this is over to see the impact of different government policies on the spread.  Seems like right now it is individuals companies, universities, schools, etc who are choosing to close, but there is no coordinated government response at the local, state, or national level. The article that someone posted a few pages back was very very good at explaining the data science and the impact of policy.   

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Yes. I agree. Someone should probably re quote that link every few pages for newcomers.  

I’ve noticed that people following thread change over time. 

It is a helpful introduction  / explanation. 

Also some links re “flatten the curve” and if possible a good image of that would perhaps help too:

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/what-flatten-curve-chart-shows-how-critical-it-everyone-fight-n1155636

there are probably better links, but it’s one that I’m not paywalled out of 

• Like 2

Does anyone have any good links to specific self-quarantining? 
All I can find is this - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-prevent-spread.html

Thing is, we have several in our community who have people coming back from international travel who should self-quarantine for 14 days per various recommendations (college, etc) However, say one self-quarantine person shares a room with another person, and the non-self-quarantining person goes out and about and does their regular stuff as will all the rest of the family members.  They see nothing wrong with this - and if the first person didn't catch anything, great, but if he did, I think you just contributed to the spread. And I can see it would be hard in a typical household for one person to self-isolate from everyone else in the house. But is there a better link for specific instructions? Or is it overkill to say the entire family should self-quarantine if they can't establish a separate space in their house? And if so, for how long - because I wouldn't think 14 total days would be long enough, you know? 

3 hours ago, Plum said:

Sam's Club has never been so busy at 8am and the shelves have never been so empty. We don't have natural disasters, so seeing everything gone out is new to me. It's rather eerie. 

Watching today's testimony. I'm behind.

UK was excluded from the travel ban because 70% of new infections (I'm guessing he means here?) were coming from Europe. 30 out of 35 of them were coming from certain countries. Can't ban just Italy because they are in EU. UK is not. Personally, I think it also funnels travelers to the UK making them easier to track. 

The N95 respirator and the ventilator situation sounds dire. 😳

Found a transcript from the testimony from yesterday and I would guess they always provide transcripts of all testimony. 

Mr. Cooper: (01:01:02)
Thank you, Madam chair. I’m delighted to hear the bipartisan praise of our public health workers, our professionals and I hope that colleagues on both sides of the aisle will heed your good advice. First question, can US doctors or patients order some of these tests from South Korea?

Dr. Redfield: (01:01:25)
Important question when was asked by the chair woman about the difference. The difference between the South Korean test and our test is they would have to go through our regulatory process and the FDA to get approval to use that.

Mr. Cooper: (01:01:36)
So the answer is no.

Dr. Redfield: (01:01:38)
Currently, no under the regulatory issue.

Mr. Cooper: (01:01:41)
Okay. What are the names of these South Korean companies or enterprises that offer these tests?

Dr. Redfield: (01:01:48)
The basic difference Congressman is when we, CDC developed our test, if you give me a second, we developed to make sure it could work on the platforms that we’d put in all the public health labs. Those platforms were based on our flu surveillance. So we used a technique called thermal cycling, which is not a high throughput.

Dr. Redfield: (01:02:08)
What the Koreans have done is they’ve used a high throughput platform, which is now being done in New York at the Wadsworth Lab and is now beginning, it’s being worked on by LabCorp and Quest to bring it in. So it’s a different platform. Roche is really the company I think. I’m not sure, but I can get back to you, which was a platform that they used. It’s a high throughput, allows many, many, many tests to be done in a single time.

Mr. Cooper: (01:02:31)
So the South Koreans used a Swiss company or wherever Roche is headquartered to supply the need.

Dr. Redfield: (01:02:38)
I’ll get back to you on the specific, sir to make sure I don’t misinform you.

Mr. Cooper: (01:02:57)
Well, LabCorp and quest are wonderful companies, but still we are behind South Korea in terms of making testing available. So how do we solve this gap?

Dr. Redfield: (01:03:10)
What’s going on right now rather than the public health platform that we used. If we had developed a test on the Korean platform, none of our public health labs could have done it because they don’t have the instrumentation. So right now, the private sector and certain labs have begun to transfer that to the high, what we call the high throughput. And so you’re going to see those high throughput, the same technology is going to be approved in the United States and used by different private sector groups.

Mr. Cooper: (01:03:37)
So now finally we’re turning toward what you call high throughput. And that may be from Roche, it may be from somewhere else, or maybe at the Wadsworth Lab now in New York. But finally one day we will have it.

Dr. Redfield: (01:03:49)
Yeah, I would try not to use the word finally. I guess I’m not making myself clear in my role to get it in the public health labs. We build it on a platform that they had the instrumentation.

Mr. Cooper: (01:04:34)
Are there any plans to have drive through testing in America so that we do not panic emergency rooms when people come in and cough?

Dr. Redfield: (01:04:43)
Not at this time. I think we’re trying to maintain the relationship between the individuals and their healthcare providers.

Mr. Cooper: (01:04:52)
That’s very interesting as a response. So the professional monetary relationship comes before public health.

Dr. Redfield: (01:05:02)
No, that was not my point. And maybe Dr. Fauci wants to comment. My point was in able to assess risk and the appropriateness that these individuals get the proper care, we believe that this is something that’s still has value to be dealt with within the setting of clinical medicine. But I’ll ask Tony to comment.

Dr. Fauci: (01:05:19)
It’s exactly what you said. Not anything about monetary. That’s really not a consideration at all. It’s to try and get people to at least on a telephone call basis to be able to phone their physicians ahead of time and say, “I believe I have a situation.” The physician would probably say, “Stay at home” and give them the instructions of how to get a test. So it’s the relationship between the patient and the physician. I have no indication at all of financial on that.

Mr. Hice: (01:07:13)
Okay. All right. Thank you. One of the issues and I do appreciate the cooperating spirit here today. I know Brad Snyder and I, we’ve worked together to put together a bill. He led the way on trying to make sure medical devices are here, if there is a shortage. And I think in that kind of spirit of cooperation, we all need to address this issue that’s critical to our country. And I’m curious specifically on the medical supplies and medical devices, are we going to be facing a shortage?

Speaker 1: (01:07:49)
We have.

Dr. Fauci: (01:07:53)
Yeah. I believe that if we have a major outbreak, we are definitely vulnerable to shortages. But Dr. Kadlec knows more about that than I do.

Dr. Fauci: (01:08:03)
… Which is, but Dr. Kadlec knows more about that than I do.

Dr. Kadlec: (01:08:04)
Sorry, I would just characterize it at this point, and again, the FDA has a responsibility to look at the entire supply chain of pharmaceuticals and drugs in the country. And so, they have had that responsibility. I’m looking at particularly the things that we need for this outbreak right now, and I just want to highlight the issues around personal protective equipment. Much of it is sourced from overseas, some of it is domestically manufactured. And yes, we could have spot shortages. We’re working with different companies in different sectors to see to enhance both their increased capacity here domestically, as well as obtaining supplies overseas, from overseas unaffected areas to meet the demand. The most important demand is with healthcare workers, ensuring they have the respiratory protection and barrier protection, so they can see and treat patients without the risk of getting infected and being lost to the cause.

Mr. Hice: (01:08:53)
Okay, thank you. Dr. Redfield real quickly, if you would. Is there any way that the regulations, rules that are standing in the way of the FDA from getting tests here being purchased, is there any way those regs can be waived in a national emergency?

Dr. Redfield: (01:09:11)
Initially the regulations were in fact there, and that’s why we had to go through and get approval. The commissioner actually gave regulatory relief, so that any individual now can go back and [crosstalk 01:09:24]-

Mr. Hice: (01:09:24)
But you just answered a moment ago that we cannot purchase those tests from South Korea. So, and you said because of regulatory interference. My question is, can those regulatory requirements be waived in a national emergency?

Dr. Redfield: (01:09:38)
I would have to refer that to the commissioner of the FDA.

My dd has been having bad asthma problems since last week.  She went to her allergist;s office yesterday, where the NP listened only to her top part of her chest, prescribed 60mg of prednisone for 3 days, gave her a prescription for Flovent, which won't get to the pharmacy (any pharmacy, apparently for a week or two), and a stronger nebulizer treatment.  She then made an appointment to see our concierge doctor today because she cannot go from 60mg prednisone to zero because of her other autoimmune issues which aren't diagnosed yet and got one for this morning.  She was coughing up yellow/green mucus by this morning.  Of course, she had no fever for 2 reasons-one is that her temperature usually is in the 96 range not 98 so her fevers are like 99 something usually.  Also, she is on 60mg prednisone which keeps the fever down.  Our doctor was so, so, so angry that he could not test her for COVID19.  She also did not mean some new dumb requirement for testing for having to have high blood pressure- she has low blood pressure normally.  Anyway, he sent her off with a prescription for more prednisone and an antibiotic for what his second guess is a bacterial infection.    But this is how screwed up the system is.  I told her if she isn't getting better or if she is getting worse, to call him or have me call him and he will order a CAT scan for her lungs.  

• Sad 11

13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-gossip/tom-hanks-and-wife-rita-wilson-were-infected-with-coronavirus-before-coming-to-australia-c-742707

for those who were wondering, at this stage it’s believed the Hankses probably brought the Coronavirus with them.  

I know that sounds kinda niggly but I think it’s important to know for us to know if we have more community spread than we realised.  Although I suspect at this point we are only a day or two behind.

I think it’s important for you to know with regard to Australia level of community spread.

And I think it’s important for Americans to know.  Even if they may not be personally more at risk from a trip to Curaçao or wherever, they may be putting the place they go to at greater risk.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, square_25 said:

DH's parents are, too. They are in their early 70s and don't have issues, but still. 

I called my parents (early 80's) a couple of days ago and gave them an earful.  My dad had plans to go to a yearly conference in Baltimore (we're in MA) with a bunch of other old guys this weekend.  Noooooo!  He was being stubborn, but miraculously I talked him out of it. Mom had been trying to dissuade him, but he was resisting. Mom's also cancelled her ballet plans with the ladies, and I think her other plans are being cancelled for her (like mine - I had something I'd been looking forward to that would have been a small gathering, that I figured I'd count as my last hurrah before hibernating - but it was cancelled anyway...).  Fortunately my mom has freezers full of food, so hopefully they can hang tight.  Mom whined 'what about fresh fruit?' and I reminded her that she had half a peach tree's worth of peaches in one of her freezers... (they actually have a peach tree, and it had a bumper crop year before last... think there are still some in my freezer too...)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bambam said:

All I can find is this - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-prevent-spread.html

Thing is, we have several in our community who have people coming back from international travel who should self-quarantine for 14 days per various recommendations (college, etc) However, say one self-quarantine person shares a room with another person, and the non-self-quarantining person goes out and about and does their regular stuff as will all the rest of the family members.  They see nothing wrong with this - and if the first person didn't catch anything, great, but if he did, I think you just contributed to the spread. And I can see it would be hard in a typical household for one person to self-isolate from everyone else in the house. But is there a better link for specific instructions? Or is it overkill to say the entire family should self-quarantine if they can't establish a separate space in their house? And if so, for how long - because I wouldn't think 14 total days would be long enough, you know? 

My nephew had to do it.  He stayed in the house with the friend who travelled with him.  He had outside support who dropped stuff outside the house for him to go and bring in after they left.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Most cases show up within 14 days. There are outliers, but 14 should catch most.

Do what you can.

Don’t let trying for perfect be the enemy of the good. 

Don’t throw up hands and conclude that if perfection isn’t possible there’s no point trying at all.

If there’s one person who needs to quarantine, maybe person who normally shares room could use couch for a couple of weeks. Or whatever you can think of. 

Or if there are two bedrooms, maybe the quarantine person uses one and everyone else uses the other with sleeping bags or blankets on floor... 

Be creative. 

Be proactive. 

Do your best.

• Like 3

Houston is reacting very quickly. Yesterday they cancelled the Rodeo. Today U of H and our local CC have extended spring break an extra week, and will probably be going to online classes. Many, many suburban ISDs are closed next week including ours. Houston ISD will remain open to ensure that kids don't go hungry. All of our local theaters will either postpone or cancel their productions. One local mega church has gone to livestream and I think that will extend to others soon.

I'm glad to see that the mayor and county judge are getting in front of this quickly. They've certainly taken notes from WA and CA. So, thank you to all the West Coast peeps who had to figure out what to do first.

• Like 6

One thing we have here - abc tv run quite good educational programming through term time aimed at tying in with the curriculum.  It’s not all grade specific but if school closures are needed and internet is not keeping up that would be a really helpful resource.  Math and English worksheets etc could be sent by email 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd 

“#BREAKING: San Jose firefighter has tested positive for coronavirus and over 50 SJFD employees are under quarantine after possible exposure, officials say.”

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-jose-firefighter-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-officials/2253159/

“Four San Jose firefighters have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the firefighters union, and at least 77 fellow fire department colleagues have been placed under quarantine, officials confirmed Thursday.

San Jose Fire Fighters, IAFF Local 230, said in a statement that in addition to the four who tested positive, two other firefighters are in isolation awaiting results of tests. City officials earlier Thursday confirmed one firefighter diagnosed with the virus.”

• Sad 1

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/coronavirus-all-k-12-schools-king-snohomish-pierce-counties-be-closed-through-april-24/XIDPHMLVOJAAREQ5YCL75367PU/

I've been wondering when this would be announced--all k-12 schools in King (main city Seattle) Snohomish (main city Everett) and Pierce (main city Tacoma) counties are closed through April 24. Our local hs music program has been moved online, and our coop is canceled. This will be interesting, locally--Tacoma school district and our local, smaller district are both high poverty districts. Hopefully they can continue nutrition and health services to families in need. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-jose-firefighter-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-officials/2253159/

“Four San Jose firefighters have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the firefighters union, and at least 77 fellow fire department colleagues have been placed under quarantine, officials confirmed Thursday.

San Jose Fire Fighters, IAFF Local 230, said in a statement that in addition to the four who tested positive, two other firefighters are in isolation awaiting results of tests. City officials earlier Thursday confirmed one firefighter diagnosed with the virus.”

I am so extremely worried for this coming summer fires.  

People have got to figure out how to not put the first responders fire departments at risk. 

• Like 1