Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Square, if your location is affected, I think it's good to be a leader in social distancing. I say this as someone currently sick with germs that may have been picked up at a homeschool class last week (or in a music lesson, or any number of other places, but those were where we were in proximity to several people for quite a while).

Are you likely to be able to do the class using Google Hangouts or something? That might make people feel better, as you're not actually canceling.

• Like 3

Just now, square_25 said:

That’s their plan, actually. But should I wait for them to get it together?

If you are capable of doing it online, imo, do it.

Even if class is at the center and you are Skyping or FaceTiming to someone in group who can show the screen to rest of group. 

And I would tell them to physically space themselves out .  Not watch in a close group huddle. 

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I can't control the world economy.  I can't control hospital staffing issues.  I can't put more beds in hospitals and can't control any of the legal aspects of this.   I am not a worrier, I am more of a do-er.  And if I can't DO anything about it, any concern/worry I have is unproductive, unhelpful, unhealthy and only causes me more stress.

What can you do?   If a tidal wave is coming off shore, don't tell everyone you're not worried because you've lived next to the ocean your whole life and you know waves and storms.  Oh, and you personally live in a tidal-proof bunker, so you're all good - it gives others the sense that they're all good too, and there's nothing to be worried about, and all those other people are silly to worry.  Say, hey, guys you might want to look out for that tidal wave.  These are the things I've done for tidal wave prevention - maybe you should think about doing them too.  And all those people saying it's just high surf are lying to you Because helping other people to prepare not to minimize also helps the whole 'flatten the curve' thing.  None of us can ramp up the number of hospital beds that quickly, even with unlimited resources.  We, collectively, can help minimize the load so we don't need to add so many.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, square_25 said:

We have absolutely no clue which communities have no cases. None at all. We haven’t tested enough people.

Hence mitigation, not containment.

We don’t know which communities have no cases. But we know that if we are living in Oregon (as I am) which does have cases probably a lot lot more than official number, we should not travel to some place else unless critical to do so. 

I don’t even think we should be sharing our Oregon germs by going to Seattle or San Francisco area even though we know they do have cases. Nor risking bringing theirs back here.  As much as possible we should stay in our own communities.

Certainly we should not go somewhere that might not have cases yet unless it’s an emergency. 

Another sort of related thought to follow later.

• Like 2

Our TKD boss just posted a fb post saying what they are doing.  As of right now, they are having classes, but they have changed it up so nobody touches anyone.  Of course they also talked about special cleaning and please stay home if you're sick.

At the moment, my plan is to attend class tomorrow p.m. and see how it is.  Maybe my kids and I will be the only ones there.  😛

46 minutes ago, Pen said:

Yes. I do think the some official minimizing was on purpose so that people realizing situation and getting stocked up would be more gradual rather than sudden panic. Itself s curve flattening. 

I also have a Subscribe and Save for TP. 

Normally I try to set it up so I am not out, but not getting ahead either, maybe down to a roll or two (sometimes needing a few individual rolls extra from local store though they don’t carry as good a type for our septic system) when next order comes in.  

I am looking at my Subscribe & Save list to see what I should change.  I will probably put TP onto my March delivery so that I then have a set of TP ahead instead of just a roll or two, and then let it go on usual just about right amount that I worked out. 

Store I was at yesterday (not a discount big box store) had fully stocked TP shelves. 

I wonder if Amazon will even have toilet paper for Subscribe and Save this month, though. I looked last night and they were pretty much out of all brands of tp, except for the cheap one-ply kind that you find in public restrooms.

• Like 3

On going places—

I was thinking about kids sports and sports travel and thinking that’s a big problem. And I hear a lot of people complaining that shutting it down is unfair.  Or the problems with even if it’s decided that people should play without spectators that spectators are then gathering elsewhere. 

I think it could be a huge source of spread via asymptomatic kid carriers. 

For example, I am in a rural part of Oregon. There are few jobs here so people often commute (some daily and some for work week) to 3 metro areas in the state for jobs, which brings some likelihood of virus carrying that way, but for the time being going to work is still important not optional (though should go to telecommute whenever possible ). 

Okay. But now (and leaving aside all the private sports groups like as when my son was in fencing and skating which have their own systems of local, state, national and even international competition; hockey leagues, youth soccer leagues, etc) focusing on school sports system, my son’s school tends to initially compete in a league that has other schools of similar size. It has league member schools, or has had trips to competitions, as best I recall from when he was doing track, from Madras on the east side of cascades to Astoria at the Pacific Ocean just below Washington, and down to towns barely above California border.  And then with ultimate state level competition held at UofOregon when Hayward Field was open or elsewhere during its refurbishment for pre Olympic trials. Similar for other sports. 

That is a bigger potential  geographical spreading around of cases and germs than some whole European countries. 

And that too would tend to add to Medical System  overwhelm as some of those communities may have no hospital at all or barely so. 

• Like 1

Just now, happysmileylady said:

I am not telling people not to be worried, but I am getting the sense that you are trying to tell me (and others) that we are supposed to be worried and that we are silly not to be worried.

The news has already told told people to go stock up on supplies.  And actually it's always been common sense to be prepared for emergencies and I have always agreed with that even before corona virus.  (of course, when it's not an emergency, people who stock pile are often referred to as hoarders or crazy preppers.)  

I have also donated to food banks in the past, and will continue to do so.  So I suppose in terms of "helping people prepare" and "giving preparation advice, I am already there too."

NOW....one thing I will say....I don't think this is going to create some sort of apocalyptic scenario.  I think that things will be cancelled, the wave of illness will come and then pass.  The world will likely get hit with a recession or perhaps even a depression.    Thing will change, and some things will be really awful for some people for a time.  But, much like a natural disaster which can be tragic and awful.................recovery happens.  And our nation and the world will recover from this too.  I do not believe this is the apocalypse that creates Panem.  

I agree with Arctic that we may all be talking past each other a bit.  I am not personally that worried.  I am prepared, and I can not go out, dh can work from home, and even my kids are in places they're pretty safe.  And I'm not worried about the actual apocalypse that creates Panem, lol.  But I do think it will be very, very bad out there, and quite possibly, based on the non-response from our gov't, much worse than China or Italy.  I guess what's bothering me the most is the non-response or minimizing from our leadership, not individual moms on a board who will probably also be just fine.  And I agree with you about that things will come and pass and recovery will happen.   I just want what's in the middle to be as least-bad as possible.  Which means, we need to shut things down (on a societal level, not 'my personal family doesn't go out much anyway' level) two weeks ago. Acknowledgement that people's are going to lose wages, be hungry, small businesses might go under and some kind of actual plan to support that.   It's kind the whole bundle of society should be more worried and proactive, not any one individual who may happen to have their ducks in a row already. 

• Like 6

local doctor office report, in my area with community spread:

*no signs on the doors to the building (which they have done in the past during peak flu)

*sign on the door to the office asking everyone to clean their hands with sanitizer.  Surgical cough masks were available.  Screening questions were done at appointment checkin. Staff are now behind sliding glass doors (floor to desk) and are not opening the glass doors. 

*2/3 of seating has been removed to increase spacing between seated patients. All toys and books and magazines have been removed.  Chairs only in waiting area.

*minimal stash of PAPR, masks, and gloves immediately behind the glass doors for doctors/staff. These are monitored directly by a dedicated receptionist who is watching the PAPR and the lab line. 

*receptionist was complaining about being not being able to reorder necessary materials. 

* Probably half of the patients there were masked--on request of the doctor's office, and are there complaining of respiratory stuff. I was the only one who came in my own mask. I was the only one in a N95 respirator.  This office had previously asked people with respiratory stuff to stay away (ie, they will meet you in then parking lot), but clearly that isn't how that is working out. I'm glad I wore a respirator.

*Lab tech who did my lab draw complained loudly to me that word has come down from the hospital system that only surgical masks are necessary, not even full droplet protection for those doing the swabbing, etc.  They are rationing supplies. 

• Sad 3

23 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I wonder if Amazon will even have toilet paper for Subscribe and Save this month, though. I looked last night and they were pretty much out of all brands of tp, except for the cheap one-ply kind that you find in public restrooms.

You’re right—last time I’d looked they had plenty now not so much anymore. 

Oh well.  

I just ordered some nose blow type tissue paper to reduce potential pressure on our TP. 

We should be okay for awhile. And we have an old outhouse ... and leaves. 😀🥰 (I don’t love it in cold wet winter, but do love it in summer as it has great view and doesn’t require tracking mud from garden into house!)    Maybe I’ll try to get a lot of outhouse and maybe even leaf use in while well to preserve TP for if/when feeling sick plus nighttime and when raining, snow, ice. 

Thanks for heads up on that.

obviously I need to level out our own TP use curve as much as I can!  

Maybe the idea of portable bidet bottle squeeze things isn’t such a bad idea. 

• Like 1

Update from the "surrounded by Overreaction People" area:  While most people in my rural location are complaining loudly that they shpuld be able to go cheer on the local sports teams, I am setting up backup plans in case my DD's school closes dorms. They have not announced online classes but we assume they are making plans to do so. Their spring break is not for another couple weeks (end of March) and DD's plan is to stay in her dorm if they let her. If they don't, our hope is a friend of hers or ours (who has lots of room but also who travels a lot domestically & internationally) will let her stay with them. If those fail, we have a friend within a day's drive who will take her in, but she will need internet to keep up with her classes & friend doesn't even have furniture in that house yet.

I think colleges that are closing the dorms will be contributing to spread by all the scattering of kids, but I understand they are trying to protect their campus employees. 

38 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I agree with Arctic that we may all be talking past each other a bit.  I am not personally that worried.  I am prepared, and I can not go out, dh can work from home, and even my kids are in places they're pretty safe.  And I'm not worried about the actual apocalypse that creates Panem, lol.  But I do think it will be very, very bad out there, and quite possibly, based on the non-response from our gov't, much worse than China or Italy.  I guess what's bothering me the most is the non-response or minimizing from our leadership, not individual moms on a board who will probably also be just fine.  And I agree with you about that things will come and pass and recovery will happen.   I just want what's in the middle to be as least-bad as possible.  Which means, we need to shut things down (on a societal level, not 'my personal family doesn't go out much anyway' level) two weeks ago. Acknowledgement that people's are going to lose wages, be hungry, small businesses might go under and some kind of actual plan to support that.   It's kind the whole bundle of society should be more worried and proactive, not any one individual who may happen to have their ducks in a row already. 

I had posted that I thought the West Coast should be largely shut down earlier in this thread. And I might well have at least been putting calls in to my elected government officials on state level about that, but for comments from @gardenmom5 and @regentrude that doing so would cause riots and or chaos. Which after I thought about that, I decided they were right . Shut downs at point I saw a clear need would not have gone over well with general populace or even a lot of Wtm mom types who are or were quite determined to travel wherever they want in upcoming time, etc, etc, etc.

So I think since we don’t live in a China or Singapore type police state, and don’t want to, that things like tide of public opinion on a place like Wtm turning can signal a change where government, local and federal both, can start to make the societal mandated changes — with less of riots and chaos.  

And I think that behind closed doors that’s actually part of what is happening. Weighing the need to mandate shut down versus potential for riots and other harms.

I think  It gets much easier to do things in a basically democratic nation,  if a nation’s “soccer moms” start clamoring for it, instead of acting like it’s crazy hysterical germophobia that just a few oddballs think important. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

You’re right—last time I’d looked they had plenty now not so much anymore. 

Oh well.  

I just ordered some nose blow type tissue paper to reduce potential pressure on our TP. 

We should be okay for awhile. And we have an old outhouse ... and leaves. 😀🥰 (I don’t love it in cold wet winter, but do love it in summer as it has great view and doesn’t require tracking mud from garden into house!)    Maybe I’ll try to get a lot of outhouse and maybe even leaf use in while well to preserve TP for if/when feeling sick plus nighttime and when raining, snow, ice. 

Thanks for heads up on that.

obviously I need to level out our own TP use curve as much as I can!  

Maybe the idea of portable bidet bottle squeeze things isn’t such a bad idea. 

Pen. Look at Target. Daily, if need be.  They had some septic-friendly options.  Leaves are not my thing, iykwim.  

I heard a radio story about St. Lawrence University, and they said they didn’t feel like they could have people return from all over after Spring Break and potentially overwhelm the rural health care system.  (Paraphrased.)  

This assumes there is no way to stop kids from scattering for Spring Break.....  

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Pen. Look at Target. Daily, if need be.  They had some septic-friendly options.  Leaves are not my thing, iykwim.  

I think we will be okay.  In a former bad power outage with flood blocKing way to stores or ups coming in I had learned what leaves are most nice —    I also learned about stocking up better through winter. 😉

And we do have quite a few weeks of TP because next regular delivery was May. Plus the store was not out. If I just start buying one roll (we use Scott which has single rolls) when I do weekly milk etc run , that should keep us good.  I expect eventually it will replenish in stores as so think there are lots of USA TP brands — not a China or Italy thing. 

5 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I heard a radio story about St. Lawrence University, and they said they didn’t feel like they could have people return from all over after Spring Break and potentially overwhelm the rural health care system.  (Paraphrased.)  

This assumes there is no way to stop kids from scattering for Spring Break.....  

I'm afraid that might happen here. They've got kids everywhere right now on spring break. They'll be back next week.  

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

If you travel domestically are you supposed to stay home for 14 days after?   Dh's work hasn't stopped travel yet.  😞

I know that some companies are asking that of their employees, but I don’t know that it’s a blanket thing (yet). I also dn’t know how “travel domestically” is defined. Dh crosses state lines for work all the time. But he’s only going by private vehicle now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

If you travel domestically are you supposed to stay home for 14 days after?   Dh's work hasn't stopped travel yet.  😞

It apparently isn’t mandated yet as a general thing for US general non high risk public (though Inthink it should probably be). Some specific companies and also universities do seem to be requiring that. 

It would be a good idea to have as much Social distancing as possible after return from elsewhere. Even caution in things like kissing for a couple of weeks or at least 6 days or so would probably be wise. 

• Like 1

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487110-tests-indicate-coronavirus-can-survive-in-the-air?amp#aoh=15840349423873&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

If this study is accurate and the Coronavirus is viable in the air for up to 3 hours, than social distancing should be more than just not shaking hands or touching. I think as much as possible, everyone needs to stay home!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, aaplank said:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487110-tests-indicate-coronavirus-can-survive-in-the-air?amp#aoh=15840349423873&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

If this study is accurate and the Coronavirus is viable in the air for up to 3 hours, than social distancing should be more than just not shaking hands or touching. I think as much as possible, everyone needs to stay home!

Ugh, we've heard similar things from China, but having it confirmed by researchers in the US is sobering. Especially with the shift to surgical masks/droplet precautions for many health care workers here, because there just isn't enough protective gear to go around. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

Even caution in things like kissing for a couple of weeks or at least 6 days or so would probably be wise. 

Seriously, I do not see how a couple who are living together can effectively social distance. Even if they're not kissing. Unless you have a large house and can sleep in separate rooms, have separate bathrooms, don't have to share meals. 

• Like 9

Looks like I have to postpone my trip to the US from Belgium. Even though I am American and could technically get into the States. Who knows if flights will actually be going. I'm kind of glad the decision was made so I can stop worrying about it. Many Belgian universities are closing/going online. I think the Netherlands is doing the same but haven't heard specifics. Next week was supposed to be exams. 

• Like 2

Our school department surveyed each student this morning about their internet access at home and whether they have the capability to access google classroom. They have canceled all school related functions that involve over 50 people (so I assume but am not yet sure that will include sports like track), and in are serious discussions regarding the timing of a potential shutdown. There is a backup plan and funding to provide meals for any students who need them, in a similar manner to our summer program. 

The state has its first confirmed case. For some reason we only started testing early this week iirc, so it’s obviously just the beginning here.

After the bounty on Targets shelves yesterday, the grocery store today was a sobering contrast. DH sent me for emergency cough syrup whiskey, on the advice shared here. Lol. The canned food shelves were sparse, and the soap aisle was pretty empty. I talked to another shopper who was surprised and also seemed resigned. He must have been at least 90. 

No idea why my photos are always horizontal! 😞

3B92CE82-A9DD-49E1-AD9C-0C09DD3AD12F.jpeg

Edited by MEmama
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Seriously, I do not see how a couple who are living together can effectively social distance. Even if they're not kissing. Unless you have a large house and can sleep in separate rooms, have separate bathrooms, don't have to share meals. 

Each family will have to think through what they do and how, and there are too many individual circumstances to generalize.

But I urge thinking about it. Not specifically you, but all of us. 

Maybe Dad will come home from his work required travel trip and head in the door and have big French kiss with mom and cheek kisses and close hugs with each kid as always. Or whatever a family normally does. Or maybe that will change more or less, depending on circumstances .

Kissing isn’t just a couples’ thing at least not in homes with younger kids still there. 

Sharing meals may be able to be done with greater or lesser distance involved from direct sharing of implements on to eating picnic style with more space and no utensil cup etc sharing. 

Food can be passed hand to hand around the table as each person self serves, and breathed on by each person present, or dishes can be filled in the kitchen by one person who is hopefully well. 

A bedroom air filter might help as well as perhaps lying skin to skin but not nose to nose... 

Etc etc etc.

People can figure things out if they have the will and mind to do so. And if they don’t they don’t. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hmm, you think? I would think having kids with their families instead of in very close quarters is a good idea. 

Heading from an area of high contagion to low, low contagion to high, or passing through known hot spots = more trouble! If the kids haven't already been scattered everywhere for spring break, IMO, and considering they are a lower risk age group, it makes sense to keep them in place for those who don't want to leave.

Obviously, for those who want to be with their parents, it makes sense to let them leave.

My kid will be in closer quarters here than at college. She has her own room there & only shares a bathroom with one person. All the dorms at her school are set up this way. If some kids go home, there will be even less close quarters at her college. I get that this is not the case everywhere, but at her specific college, it is! Go online, yes. Let kids go home for those who want to. But don't make it mandatory!

12 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Our school department surveyed each student this morning about their internet access at home and whether they have the capability to access google classroom. They have canceled all school related functions that involve over 50 people (so I assume but am not yet sure that will include sports like track), and in are serious discussions regarding the timing of a potential shutdown. There is a backup plan and funding to provide meals for any students who need them, in a similar manner to our summer program. 

The state has its first confirmed case. For some reason we only started testing early this week iirc, so it’s obviously just the beginning here.

After the bounty on Targets shelves yesterday, the grocery store today was a sobering contrast. DH sent me for emergency cough syrup whiskey, on the advice shared here. Lol. The canned food shelves were sparse, and the soap aisle was pretty empty. I talked to another shopper who was surprised and also seemed resigned. He must have been at least 90. 

No idea why my photos are always horizontal! 😞

7A8458FE-6A7D-4961-BE1D-9381FD3AD2E6.jpeg

Ooh ooh, I know the answer! Because I just had to figure this out for my own photos. 
Go up to the drop-down list and choose the Attachments tab. Delete old attachments in the same manner as cleaning out PM inbox. Once you have freed up space, it should work again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MEmama said:

If one of us in my home go down, we are all going down. There’s no way around that. I know some people have house layouts and family dynamics that allow for more separation, but we just don’t. There’s just not much we could do.

That may be so. I think in some families every time anyone gets a cold everyone does. But it isn’t universally true even in very small single bath homes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I had posted that I thought the West Coast should be largely shut down earlier in this thread. And I might well have at least been putting calls in to my elected government officials on state level about that, but for comments from @gardenmom5 and @regentrude that doing so would cause riots and or chaos. Which after I thought about that, I decided they were right . Shut downs at point I saw a clear need would not have gone over well with general populace or even a lot of Wtm mom types who are or were quite determined to travel wherever they want in upcoming time, etc, etc, etc.

So I think since we don’t live in a China or Singapore type police state, and don’t want to, that things like tide of public opinion on a place like Wtm turning can signal a change where government, local and federal both, can start to make the societal mandated changes — with less of riots and chaos.  

And I think that behind closed doors that’s actually part of what is happening. Weighing the need to mandate shut down versus potential for riots and other harms.

I think  It gets much easier to do things in a basically democratic nation,  if a nation’s “soccer moms” start clamoring for it, instead of acting like it’s crazy hysterical germophobia that just a few oddballs think important. 

yeah - some people just don't care.  there's the report of the guy who got on a jet blue flight from NCY to palm beach.  he was wearing a mask and gloves - BUT he KNEW he was being TESTED for coronavirus!!!!!  He KNEW before the flight took off - he *has it*!!!  didn't tell anyone, but the flight crew somehow found out before they landed.  He's knowingly and selfishly put the lives of everyone on that flight at risk because he "just had to travel".  If comments are anything to go by - there are many people who (weren't even on the flight) would be happy to lynch the guy.

I think by the time people start clamoring for serious shut downs, it will be too late.  the UW really did their shut down due to student (and possibly staff) demands.  theirs's started this past Monday.  I think the time to shut things down was a good month ago - too late now.  the horse is out of the barn.

there are still too many people not taking this seriously.

eta: the Italian dr, whose letter was read on Glenn Becks' show (available on youtube) - when it first started hitting in his hospital, yes - he worried.  he had zero comprehension of what was coming.  he thought he was taking it seriously, and he reflected back on how naïve he was just the week before.  medics don't even go home for fear of exposing their families.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 6

Ds' school sent out a letter. Basically saying that the flu is worse, they are cleaning well, and don't come if you are sick. However, they have a policy that any student with perfect attendance is exempt from finals, any student that misses for ANY reason has to take finals. The closest confirmed case is 2.5 hrs at this point but I'm still pissed at the attitude, I was already ticked at the policy but at this point it is insanity.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 7

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

yeah - some people just don't care.  there's the report of the guy who got on a jet blue flight from NCY to palm beach.  he was wearing a mask and gloves - BUT he KNEW he was being TESTED for coronavirus!!!!!  He KNEW before the flight took off - he *has it*!!!  didn't tell anyone, but the flight crew somehow found out before they landed.  He's knowingly and selfishly put the lives of everyone on that flight at risk because he "just had to travel".  If comments are anything to go by - there are many people who (weren't even on the flight) would be happy to lynch the guy.

I think by the time people start clamoring for serious shut downs, it will be too late.  the UW really did their shut down due to student (and possibly staff) demands.  theirs's started this past Monday.  I think the time to shut things down was a good month ago - too late now.  the horse is out of the barn.

there are still too many people not taking this seriously.

eta: the Italian dr, whose letter was read on Glenn Becks' show (available on youtube) - when it first started hitting in his hospital, yes - he worried.  he had zero comprehension of what was coming.  he thought he was taking it seriously, and he reflected back on how naïve he was just the week before.  medics don't even go home for fear of exposing their families.

No. I think people have passed the turn point where it is now possible to clamor and not seem crazy.

I think we should start putting in calls to our state governors, state assembly, state senators etc, maybe city mayors if we are living inside of a city  and clamoring!

it is too late to stop it, but not too late to slow it

and slowing it will make a huge big enormous very gigantic difference... 

in fact , I plan to get off of Wtm shortly and start calling!

I think I will start with the Oregon state OSAA (sports etc) as I have particular concerns about that.

Then Governor Kate Brown’s office

I’d like concept of “group” gathering to be much smaller.  That could help against people gathering to watch sports events on screens en masse instead of from bleachers. 

I’d like to see strict penalties like for the traveler dude who took a plane while waiting for test results.  Maybe not North Korea level of shoot them, but strict and significant.  10 years jail time to be served when they recover from CV19 assuming they recover. And as recovered person they can help care for any sick prisoners as needed as part of community service. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, MEmama said:

When my county announced the first case, people seems to hit Costco then Target for panic buying. Safeway, Grocery Outlet and CVS have plenty of toilet paper, water, can food, instant noodles and box soup. They didn’t have wipes and hand sanitizers. Trader Joe’s was in between in terms of availability. We didn’t go to Walmart.

• Like 2

One thing with the toilet paper thing.  We’ve been told in Aus that panic buying is stupid because manufacture is local.  But when I checked our packages they say made from local and imported ingredients. Which made me wonder where materials are coming from.  A lot of ours uses recycled paper and the majority of our recycling is done offshore.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Our district is kind of stuck in the same, but at least they’re having teachers prep home packets and such just in case.  But they’re sticking it out this week at least, though I’ll be shocked if they’re in session next week as that’s when the local peak should begin with the way things are tracking.

I've heard of nothing similar here but as I said the closest case is 2.5 hrs and afaik only 1 confirmed case in the state. I'm not surprised at the reaction. Honestly. 

ABC
US stocks plunge, triggering halt again 

An early plunge of 7 per cent on Wall Street has triggered the second trading halt in a week as a sell-off slamming global markets continued.

It is the second automatic trading halt this week, a mechanism which had not previously been used since 1997.

The drop came after US President Donald Trump imposed a travel ban on most of Europe and offered few new measures to contain the economic impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

Benchmarks in Europe fell more than 10 per cent even after the European Central Bank announced more stimulus measures.

World markets are enduring violent swings amid uncertainty about how badly the outbreak will hit the economy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

You mean passing through airports? I would assume kids aren't a huge fraction of people flying. Are they? 

In the dorms, your kid will be in contact with MANY more people, if you don't go out much. They have shared food situations and interact with their friends. I think it would be hard to keep kids in their rooms in college. At home, you can really go out very little. 

Flying. Driving. Train. Bus. My kid would be driving. It is two days to drive. If she had to, she could sleep on the floor of a friend halfway, but not everyone has that. If schools tell them to move out, that sometimes means parents driving to college to help them move out or store things locally. More people interaction. 

If staying in is best & not traveling is best, IMO, then the less people who are disrupted, the better. Again, I'm aware that my kid's school isn't like others. I've already heard that some kids at big party schools (not my kid's school) are talking about all the parties they will go to now before they head home. Sigh. Not great to spread this around more.

12 minutes ago, square_25 said:

That's a good idea, really. What are you going to ask them to do? Close everything that's possible to close? 

Busy thinking.

I am more clear on OSAA — yes, close down interschool competitions that result in travel and mingling. Our OSAA covers sports, but also debate team competition, drama, and various other things.

I’ll confer with a friend whose daughter is due to go to state capitol for drama competition. It might help my ideas.

For Governor’s office— schools to work out child care and food delivery and move to online from home as much as possible— even if still open for kids who need it as supervised place in daytime, less crowding should help.

and to ask that they ask teachers to stop telling kids it is less bad than flu

And to shut down social gatherings and events of ... how many ... ? 25 or more?   Instead of 250 or whatever it is now, which seems like still way too many.   

ETA:

And!  Stiff penalties for going on planes, trains etc when sick or a person under investigation!

though I am not sure Governor has control over that even as a state of emergency power-/ I’d think so, but maybe not.

Edited by Pen

DD's sporting event has NOT been cancelled and they were expecting 4,000 competitiors, but we just got an email from our head coach saying we will not be attending. We would have needed to leave within the next 30 minutes. Our governor just shut down all events over 100 people, except sporting events that only allow essential people plus parents of athletes (and things like religious services),  so they're going ahead with the event although many other people seem to be pulling out. We had another confirmed case in our state and now have it in three of the surrounding counties.

Someone I know on Facebook is planning to visit famiy in a European country and doesn't plan to cancel because Americans will still be allowed to travel from that country. I hope she's prepared to stay for awhile since things seem to be changing hourly.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I'm getting the sense that people think that traveling is a bad idea. I think, at this point, given that we have no clue where the cases are, traveling isn't any worse an idea than going outside. Being in crowded places and interacting with other people is a bad idea. That's a description of a plane journey but not of a car journey. So it's not about the travel. 

One thing with a car journey is good, public restrooms and service stations.  Might need to bring back the filling service instead of everyone handling the pump.

I don’t know how relevant this is in us but our road trips tend to be longer and we have picked up sickness so many times particularly when crossing the nullabor.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1