Menu

Do you think dog strollers are completely ridiculous?

Joker

I have been someone who always found them super ridiculous, but I've spent time today looking at them. 🤦‍♀️

Our doggie is only five but has developed arthritis in a paw that was broken before we rescued her (we've had her four years). She's a 20 pound chihuahua mix and doesn't last long on walks anyway because everything and everyone scares her. I'm planning on traveling more with dh when both dc are off at college and we would like to take her. So, I'm here actually thinking of buying one. This may be the only thing in a long time that has bothered me in regards to what people will think. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think they are great. I don’t have a dog but my elderly neighbors use these kind for shopping and just taking a walk around the neighborhood. They could put their shopping in the stroller basket and water bottle on the holder.

four wheels kind https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LMMPQR2/

three wheels jogger kind https://www.amazon.com/OxGord-Wheeler-Stroller-Folding-Carrier/dp/B00LV3KBNG/

• Like 2

I think it’s incredibly sweet that you’re trying to figure out a way for your pup to comfortably spend time with you. I say get that stroller and not worry one bit about other people’s thoughts on the matter! You will be glad to have it, and your dog will be happier. Win-win. 

• Like 7

I don't have a dog, but when I see people with dog strollers, I think both that it's rather sweet (and probably an elderly dog or a dog with a disability who wants to get out but can't walk) and kind of emblematic of American culture, but I don't care.  And I'd be willing to do a lot of things to make a pet's face light up.  That said, I'm currently annoyed because I just came back from the grocery store, and a lady asked me to help her with a cart so she could put her shih tzu wrapped in a blanket in the baby seat of the cart to shop.  That's a whole different issue, though.  Go dog stroller!

• Like 5

Honestly, when I saw the titile, I was like, yes, yes I do think they are ridiculous. Not that I’d ever spent any amount of time thinking about them. But with the situation you describe, a stroller makes sense. And travel is the perfect time to practice not caring what other people think about your life choices.

• Like 3

I think they are ridiculous UNLESS there is an actual reason for them. So dog with arthritis, other health issues, etc that makes sense. Using it because it looks cute or because your dog is your "baby" and shouldn't have to get his pretty little paws dirty on the nasty ground - ridiculous. And I'm from a suburb of Palm Beach, so yes, there are plenty of people who have them for that reason. Little fluffy can't get her perfectly manicured paws damp, or wear herself out like one of those "dog" dogs you see on the streets, don't you know. 

I also think they are a bad idea if they are being used because the dog is aggressive or terrified and that way they are contained and can't bite. Because it lets the owner force the dog into situations that are too overwhelming for the dog, and it lets the dog practice alert barking and being a nuisance. 

But I think they are great for dogs with mobility issues, who actually enjoy them. 

• Like 13

I bought one for one of my son’s two cats. It’s designed for cats — fully covered with a strong netted material that allows them to see out. He lives in a city in a one bedroom so his cats cannot go out and explore. The most physical excitement they get is an occasional run in his apartment’s hallway. The stroller at least provides more stimulation. They absolutely love going for walks. In fact, they often sleep in it.

I’ve seen quite a few older dogs in them as well. I think they’re great.

• Like 2

I have a herpetologist friend who uses one for her tegu (big lizard) to take him to campus when she is using him in her college classes or for education presentations. He's rather big to carry in a bag, and walking a lizard on a harness (which he also does) tends to lead to her having trouble getting to her building without collecting a crowd :). He'll actually crawl into it when it's open and available to him, so I guess he enjoys the experience. She also uses it at the vet because other pets tend to react badly to a lizard on a leash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I have a herpetologist friend who uses one for her tegu (big lizard) to take him to campus when she is using him in her college classes or for education presentations. He's rather big to carry in a bag, and walking a lizard on a harness (which he also does) tends to lead to her having trouble getting to her building without collecting a crowd :). He'll actually crawl into it when it's open and available to him, so I guess he enjoys the experience. She also uses it at the vet because other pets tend to react badly to a lizard on a leash. 

I would also very much enjoy seeing a tegu on a leash.  That sounds awesome!

8 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I would love to see a tegu on a leash. My kids and I would be part of the crowd causing problems!  

Can you walk a tegu on a leash and expect the tegu to go with your agenda, and walk in the direction you want them to?  

Tegu usually want to explore (and maybe find a tasty bug or two before falling asleep in the sun), but can be guided with practice-it's like leash training a cat, where they may never heel, but do eventually realize that walking with the human gives them more opportunities to experience the world. They're very smart lizards. They also, if they have the option to go outside regularly, will become fairly well house trained, although I imagine that works better in Argentina than Arkansas, where it's too cold for a South American lizard to go out for about half the year.  My friend specializes in lizard behavior, and she started with this guy as a tiny hatchling with the goal of having him well socialized to be a reptile ambassador. He's apparently quite popular (And in many ways serves as her son's ESA).

There are two other large leash trained lizards in our local reptile group-another tegu and a Savannah monitor. They aren't an animal for a beginner, and you have to know what you're doing and be very consistent, but they are very trainable and can be great ambassadors. They rival Tank, the Sulcata Tortoise, and Big Nate, the Burmese Python (who, in behavior acts like the world's largest ball python-he's the most placid burm I have ever seen-but he was picked for temper and consistently handled and socialized) in popularity.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 4

Anything that can add to a dog's mobility, and enrich the life of the dog and its carer, is a positive, I think.  Dogs get bored lying around at home, just as humans do. If a human wants to walk with their dog and the only way to facilitate this is by using some kind of stroller, then what is the issue?  It gives you a great opportunity to educated others on new possibilities that may not have been around a few years ago. And you'd be perfect for doing this, having come from a place of not seeing the benefit, to recognizing the positive aspects.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

Of course not.

My husband used to travel a lot for work and sometimes I'd tag along. I found that antique shops and the like didn't mind me bringing my Chi mix in the store if he was in a sling-type carrier. It was great! He didn't have to stay in the hotel room by himself all day. Also, he was a neurotic little thing and was more comfortable being carried when there were lots of people around. I couldn't give two hoots what anyone else thought*. But my shoulder got SO SORE. 12 lb. gets awful heavy if it's not properly distributed. I would have loved a small, maneuverable stroller!

He loved his carrier he flew in, too. It made him feel safe and secure and he knew that when he was in it, he would be next to me. 

Go for it.

*ETA: That's not entirely true. I did like it when people fussed over him. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

Tegu usually want to explore (and maybe find a tasty bug or two before falling asleep in the sun), but can be guided with practice-it's like leash training a cat, where they may never heel, but do eventually realize that walking with the human gives them more opportunities to experience the world. They're very smart lizards. They also, if they have the option to go outside regularly, will become fairly well house trained, although I imagine that works better in Argentina than Arkansas, where it's too cold for a South American lizard to go out for about half the year.  My friend specializes in lizard behavior, and she started with this guy as a tiny hatchling with the goal of having him well socialized to be a reptile ambassador. He's apparently quite popular (And in many ways serves as her son's ESA).

There are two other large leash trained lizards in our local reptile group-another tegu and a Savannah monitor. They aren't an animal for a beginner, and you have to know what you're doing and be very consistent, but they are very trainable and can be great ambassadors. They rival Tank, the Sulcata Tortoise, and Big Nate, the Burmese Python (who, in behavior acts like the world's largest ball python-he's the most placid burm I have ever seen-but he was picked for temper and consistently handled and socialized) in popularity.

I saw a woman walking an iguana on a leash at Pet Smart.  The iguana seemed pretty chill with it, although I don't think it would be an efficient route to getting anywhere.  It seemed to be mostly "stand around while wearing a leash and make an occasional mad dash in a random direction."  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Lots of people judge parents for having their human kids in strollers, and I still use one for my 10 year old from time to time.  Because for him it's the right choice.  I don't see why a dog with a disability wouldn't need the same kind of flexibility.  I think you should go for it, and not care what other people think.  

I've never known someone who judges parents who use strollers for their kids.  Is that really a thing?? 

Thanks, all. It's honestly been a while since I've cared what people thought so I'm trying to figure that part out. I do think I'll get one because I know my dog would love it and it will make things much easier for all of us.

She usually just tucks up/carries her paw but recently she's been sticking her whole leg straight out so I know it's getting worse and it must hurt to bend the leg at all at moments.  I have a vet appointment later this week so we'll see what they say as well. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I don't know anyone who judges people for using strollers for their infants and toddlers, but I absolutely have heard people make snarky comments about people who have their kids in strollers at 3 or 4, or who use strollers for a five year old at Disney etc . . . I've also heard from many parents whose kids have similar physical disabilities to mine, but don't have the same kind of respiratory issues (the breathing equipment is what makes my kid's disability visible), that they've gotten lots of negative comments. I also once posted in another forum where a mom was looking for advice on strollers to accommodate a larger child, and although she was clear that her kid had disabilities that made it a good idea, people still posted that they couldn't imagine "letting" their 60 lb kid use a stroller.  So, my experience is that yes, people who use strollers for kids with invisible disabilities get a fair amount of judgment.  

Well, that's disappointing then.  We definitely used strollers for older children at Disneyland!   And you're right -- the invisible disability situation must be very frustrating.

Last summer my friend used a stroller so her elderly Jack Russell could keep going on walks with her other two dogs after having his leg amputated.  He was so happy to get to go with us.  He would walk for a bit before asking to be put into it.  Her other dogs seemed really happy with the set up too.  Pro stroller here because it means your pup will get to enjoy being with you.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Last summer my friend used a stroller so her elderly Jack Russell could keep going on walks with her other two dogs after having his leg amputated.  He was so happy to get to go with us.  He would walk for a bit before asking to be put into it.  Her other dogs seemed really happy with the set up too.  Pro stroller here because it means your pup will get to enjoy being with you.

I think that being pack animals makes the ability/opportunity for dogs to get up and go roam around with “their pack” ( that being the other people/animals in their household) very important to dogs. 

• Like 2

I’ve considered it!  We don’t really take our 3.5lb dog to so may places we would use it though.  We do visit a dog-friendly amusement park just about every year, but I don’t think a “normal” stroller would do well with their stone paths. We just carry him in our dog purse and let him do a little walking.

6 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Not ridiculous if you have a need now the doggy baby Bjorn that's a little nuts.

I've been known to put either one of my dogs up in a wrap. If the one dog is very upset by thunder, it can be a way to keep her close and happy and calm. If the other dog has just come out of the groomer and it's raining out, it can keep him warm and dry, one more day until his hair gets messed up.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 2:35 AM, rebcoola said:

Not ridiculous if you have a need now the doggy baby Bjorn that's a little nuts.

Did someone say doggy Bjorn???

Here's my boy checking out the California seaside...and blissed out in the sun. 😎

(My poor shoulder! I needed a stroller!)

Don't quote please. 🙂Will delete pics later.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

Last summer I was camping in the rocky mountains, and a German couple were in the site beside us. Their dog was rolling about their site having a wonderful time with being outdoors and independent. It was a wonderful thing to experience!  The photo below shows something similar to what their dog had. 

Walkin' Belly Support

• Like 6

For a dog as small as a chihuahua you might just consider a soft sided cloth carrier.  If it's in a subdued or neutral color it will draw less attention which IME makes a nervous dog feel safer.  I just donated the one for our yorkie mix or I'd ship you mine. 

• Like 1

I think they are very handy for a small dog in a hot climate.  They can have shade and it's easier to bring water.

I also think -- you know what, not everybody has the same ability to carry their dog when their dog has gotten tired, and strollers are so convenient for carrying extra items.  

That is not to say that I don't think they are a little silly, as well.  But a lot of things are a little silly 😉

At the end of the day I like dogs so I like to see little dogs looking shaded and with adequate water, when they are out having an adventure.  

• Like 1

I knew someone years ago who loved to hike and inherited an older dog. He's put the dog in a large child carrier for the hikes and then took her out at spots to walk around and chill. No stroller could have gone on the hikes. It was also ridiculous, which he totally would have acknowledged. But it made both him and the dog - who was too old for the young serious hiker lifestyle - happy.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3

I think they're ridiculous for healthy dogs regardless of their age, but they're a wonderful idea for elderly or disabled dogs. If I see a dog in a stroller I can't tell just by looking whether it's there because the owners are silly and shallow or the dog will have trouble walking/walking long distances. Either way it's none of my business and I don't judge. I would hope the dog is in a stroller because it needs to be but again, not my business. 

OP, it sounds like a wonderful way to travel and be able to take your dog with you. 

BTW, not stroller related  but dog owners/lovers know (or should know) that hot pavement can burn a dog's paws. We used to travel with our Sheltie, who was mostly ds' dog. One time we stopped at a big travel center and it was summer so the pavement was hot. Ds carried him over to the dog area, let him do his business (cleaned up after him of course) and carried him back to our van. Ds was 11 or 12 at the time and I thought that was so sweet of him.

18 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

If you dog would use it, get it,  We knew a elderly dog whose face would light up in it.  Poor pup had severe arthritis but everyday he loved going on a”walk” in it. 

This made me smile. Anything that makes a dog's face light up makes me smile. ❤️ 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

When I visited my DD and SIL, in Japan, doggy strollers were everywhere. I saw more dogs in strollers then kids. I was also taken aback how much the Japanese seem to love dressing up there dogs🧐 I see no reason why you shouldn’t use one.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve just bought one for my elderly bichon who’s just been diagnosed with Cushing syndrome and finds walking for more than 5 mins too hard but cries if I leave her when I take other dogs out and leave her. I feel a right Pratt however she’s so happy not to be left out.

• Like 1

Wow! It was weird seeing this pop up over a year later (and with my old user name that I got locked out of). We’ve done zero traveling due to Covid so I haven’t thought about the stroller since. We had so many trips planned. 🙃 Dog does have more arthritis in the leg now so it is something I will probably get once we start traveling with her again.

• Like 3

I see a lot of older folks with them here.  The dogs walk a little, ride a little, but it gets the people walking which is good.  

I used to think they were silly, but I see how they benefit people because they are taking their dog ‘for a walk’ 

lol- hadn’t realized it was an old thread!

Edited by matrips
  • Like 1

I think they're great. Dogs with mobility issues like to get out just as much as people with mobility issues. My dog is 9 and still gets around really well, but if he gets to the point where his mobility is compromised I wouldn't hesitate to get him a stroller so we can continue our daily walks. All I have to do it pick up the leash and he starts tap-dancing in circles and making squeaky noises, I would never take away something that makes him so happy.

And I don't even care if there are mobility issues — if it makes some little old lady happy to push around a dog wearing clothes and a bow in her hair at least that's a dog that is well loved and cared for, not left tied up outside or dumped somewhere. If the dog is happy and it makes the owner happy, I don't know why anyone would feel the need to judge them for that. The fact that 1.5 million unloved, unwanted dogs and cats are killed in US shelters every year is far more ridiculous than happy pets being pushed around by people who love them. 

My favorite person on Instagram is a guy (wolfgang2242) who rescues senior dogs with medical issues that no one else wants and gives them a happy loving home — including wagon rides around the neighborhood for those who can't walk well enough. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.58.47 PM.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

There’s an older woman who walks her dog around the pond in my neighborhood, and the dog spends a lot of the time in the dog stroller. I chatted with her one day. Her dog is blind, and when there are lots of people or other dogs around, he goes in the stroller so he won’t be scared or startled. But he loves to be out and about. 

There’s another woman who carries her dog for most of his walk. He just gets tired. 

And, because dogs with strollers make me think of dogs with clothes, my son adopted a greyhound. She has dinosaur pajamas to wear when it’s cold. She has like no fat and very little fur to keep her warm. She loves her dinosaur pajamas. And all the little kids in the neighborhood love them, too. 

• Like 13