Menu

Do you think dog strollers are completely ridiculous?

Joker

I think dog strollers are adorable. I rescued a small dog -- seven pounds -- one year and back then they didn't have dog strollers.

So I bought a used jogger stroller at a garage sale and made it work for a small dog. That stroller made it so that dh and I could take our long walks and bring Grizzly with us.

I think dog strollers are far more common and understood than they once were.

I have a German shepherd who's older, and at times I wish I could shrink him down and put him in a stroller!!

Enjoy your little girl ♥♥♥

• Like 3

I think so BUT I also have 4 kids under 9 SO they are kind of my focus right now.  I'm the nurturing type and I KNOW when my kids don't need me anymore, I will find a replacement which will like be some ridiculous pet with ridiculous accessories, so there's that.  Ask me again in 15-20 years.  lol

I saw a pot-bellied pig in a stroller once.  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

I have a German shepherd who's older, and at times I wish I could shrink him down and put him in a stroller!!

A used double jogger might work. Mine was able to take three kindergartners for a ride and their combined weight is definitely over 100lbs. 

• Like 3

On 1/20/2020 at 7:51 PM, Joker said:

I have been someone who always found them super ridiculous, but I've spent time today looking at them. 🤦‍♀️

Our doggie is only five but has developed arthritis in a paw that was broken before we rescued her (we've had her four years). She's a 20 pound chihuahua mix and doesn't last long on walks anyway because everything and everyone scares her. I'm planning on traveling more with dh when both dc are off at college and we would like to take her. So, I'm here actually thinking of buying one. This may be the only thing in a long time that has bothered me in regards to what people will think. 🙃

Yes. I do think they look ridiculous. But I am also someone who thought it looked ridiculous to have a “leash” on a kid...until I had a kid who would bolt at any moment in a crowded mall!!! Do what you’ve gotta do for your poor doggie. 

• Like 4

I thought it was bougie until I adopted a husky who is overweight at nearly 55#. I don’t always have time to walk her 3x per day, but I take her in the car to run errands and roll down the window. She’s strapped but can still stick her face out and feel the wind. Even that makes her happy. When the time comes when she can no longer walk, I’ll get a double stroller and run with her.  Or a wagon. I don’t know if I can use a back carrier unless she can lose some weight. She’s not bougie when it comes to food. 

• Like 2

yes.  arthritic dog in the park - I can see the usefulness. 

purse dog in a stroller in a store - I'm sick of it, and don't come to me for support.  1dd had a coworker who got one for her obese chihuahua. (weighed about twice what it should).  not doing the dog any favors.

I'm so glad to see more and more retail establishments where I live posting signs saying "serving dogs only".  some are even more blunt - NO PETS._

• Like 1

My opinion... one of the best inventions, ever!

BUT, not just for a dog. For cats, too. My bro and SIL have a beautiful ragdoll who absolutely loves his stroller. He loves going outside for walks in it, and also he sleeps in it in the house. That's his spot.

• Like 3

My sister also got a stroller for her cats, so when we went camping last year, the ragdoll and one of my mom's cats that has separation anxiety came with us.

Here are Oliver and Dolly, safely enjoying the great outdoors.

7D52BD59-D519-4555-85F8-31BF94634239.jpeg

A3E69260-982E-46E4-B1BA-B147C59789C3.jpeg

98BDCF7B-11B1-48A9-8D6A-5F29B7D4648A.jpeg

Edited by fraidycat
Fix spelling error.
  • Like 10

47 minutes ago, hippymamato3 said:

I think they are a really loving way to include a dog in your family's life even if they can't walk very long or very fast anymore. Not ridiculous. They would totally push you in a stroller if that was the only way for you to go with them. 

So true :wub:

• Like 2

We had friends who took long, all day type, bike rides. They had two golden labs, one old, one young. The young one loved to run, and could keep up so long as they took frequent breaks. But the older one who had done it for years, but eventually had to be left behind. We would keep the pup for them, but talk about a seriously depressed pet to be left behind. He would not eat or drink the whole time. When they do their last overnight, we had to take him to the vet for IV hydration. So, they bought one of those tow along kid things, popped him in it, and began taking him again. Happy dog.

So I think of the stroller as the same kind of thing.

• Like 3

I have a pet stroller....for my cat. She does not like it. She doesn’t really want to be an explorer cat. However my elementary aged son loves taking the cat for a walk. We have only done it a few times. Last year she figured out how to escape through a small hole at the zipper. fraidycat’s photos are adorable!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 7:06 PM, itsheresomewhere said:

If you dog would use it, get it,  We knew a elderly dog whose face would light up in it.  Poor pup had severe arthritis but everyday he loved going on a”walk” in it. 

I thought it was ridiculous when I first saw one being walked in my neighborhood, until I realized it was an aging dog. He still loved getting out, but he was such a little guy even a little walk would be tough.