Menu

UPDATE IN FIRST POST - I finally had my day in court!

Home'scool

What a great update!

2 hours ago, Home'scool said:

I really think the judge now understands all the players in this game. Before when only he testified I am sure she thought I would be just as greedy and arrogant as him. How else does a simple case bog down for 4 years? Now I think she gets it is him, he is the narcissist, the bully, the unreasonable one

Years ago I heard a presentation by a family court judge who said that 10% of her caseload took 90% of her time.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Home'scool said:

His attorney went over VENMO payments I had made to my daughters while they were in college. Literally one transaction at a time. 

“So, on May 1st you Venmo’d $30 dollars and wrote ‘because I love you’ ..... what was that for?” Ummmm I sent her $30 because she is my daughter and I love her?

this went on for about 10 minutes until the judge told her it was just badgering. 

Sounds like you have two attorneys working for you!!!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Home'scool said:

and that is when the judge STOOD UP! Actually stood up and very angrily said “What are you saying?? That she is supposed to live with her sister rent free while you lived in the big house and now in a $4000 a month condo in the city?? You can get down now from the stand!”

HUGE grin as I read this.  So happy for you.

11 minutes ago, moonflower said:

I kind of doubt his attorney is working against him, I'm sure that would be a huge violation of professional ethics, no matter how despicable he is.

Yeah, but sometimes Attorneys just tread water.  Like it would look bad to do no cross-exam, but there isn’t really any way to help the client during cross, so just try to fill some time with questions that aren’t really meaningful.  I’ve seen opposing counsel do it before.  Not going against a bad client,  but just going through the motions without their heart in it.  Judges know.   

• Like 6

So happy for you, Home'scool!!! 

Do you think the Venmo thing was part of a plan to ask for reduced support payments — like he thought he could argue that he shouldn't have to pay you money that you were just going to turn around and "give away"?  Whatever the motivation, it sounds like it totally backfired and just made him look like a petty, vindictive jerk. 👍

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

Do you think the Venmo thing was part of a plan to ask for reduced support payments — like he thought he could argue that he shouldn't have to pay you money that you were just going to turn around and "give away"?  Whatever the motivation, it sounds like it totally backfired and just made him look like a petty, vindictive jerk.

Yes, I think he was trying to show that the money I sent to our daughters was not necessary? IDK.

When his attorney asked why I had submitted the VENMO payments as evidence and if I thought I should be reimbursed for it I said no, that I was just showing that while he was paying utilities on the house etc., I was also spending money on family things.

I do believe his attorney had no idea what to cross examine me on. My STBX was scribbling notes the whole time I was testifying so I thought the cross would be difficult but she started going after details like how much money I made in 1989 vs. how much money he made. Seriously. 28 years ago and you want to make a point that he made $2000 more than me in 1989. That is why I think the judge is so done with him.

• Like 11

I also got to slip in that after he cut me off from any support I received a box of shirts he ordered (it was sent to me by mistake) and there were 10 shirts at $200 each. Just regular button down work shirts that he was paying $200 each for! Then my attorney asked me where I shop for clothes and I said Old Navy. Stuff like that that completely goes against his testimony that he had no money to send me.

His affairs also came up. I am surprised the judge let me testify about those but she did give me leeway. I kept it factual but was able to show what a bum he is.

I hope to never have to testify again. It is not fun at all. But I AM so glad that I finally had my day, I finally got to say my side, and I finally may be wrapping this whole thing up.

• Like 22

• 1 month later...

I'm still waiting! The lawyers submitted their final paperwork about 2 weeks ago so now we are just in a holding pattern.

I did get a copy of his final paperwork. He is offering such a small amount in alimony that I would literally be struggling until I retired. Such a bad bad man.

But I promise to update once I do get the word from the judge!

Edited by Home'scool
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Ugh no news yet! By the end of the day my phone is always dead because I check my emails so much!

According to my lawyer this judge is quick with her decisions ..... I guess it all depends on how many people are ahead of me.

And I don't know if I already said this, so forgive me if I am repeating myself, but my lawyer contacted me about a week after the trial. She said that the bailiff told her "The judge is going to crush that guy" because he was making such an ass out of himself. That gives me hope!

Believe me, y'all will the the second to know once I get the ruling! 😊 Hopefully this week but I really don't know. 

Edited by Home'scool
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a (non) update .... It has been about 7 weeks since we finished the trial. When I checked in with my attorney she said it could be "months" before we get a decision. Ugh. I'm hoping it is not that long. I can only move on with my life so much without this situation being wrapped up 😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 22