Menu

What would you do if someone gave you $50,000 to blow this weekend?

mommyoffive

3 hours ago, Annie G said:

I would find a lot of joy in doing something responsible with it.  Too bad that’s not seen as exciting. Oldest Dd is saddled with huge medical bills due to two kids with multiple medical needs. It would be life changing if I could pay those off for her and provide a financial cushion. Boring? Nope. It’s as exciting as Hell to feel the freedom of no medical debt. 

Oh, I am right there with you.  Being responsible with it would bring me more joy because in the long run I would be more secure financially. The responsible side of me would invest it.  

The irresponsible side of my would like buy all the Lego sets that I want but are too expensive,  buy myself a whole new wardrobe (which is actually needed badly but I won't ever do it in one trip,) and possibly buy a car that we don't need but would be nice to have.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Oh, I am right there with you.  Being responsible with it would bring me more joy because in the long run I would be more secure financially. The responsible side of me would invest it.  

The irresponsible side of my would like buy all the Lego sets that I want but are too expensive,  buy myself a whole new wardrobe (which is actually needed badly but I won't ever do it in one trip,) and possibly buy a car that we don't need but would be nice to have.

I don’t think I would get as much joy buying all the irresponsible stuff at once. I think it wouldn’t be as fun as spreading it out.  Also it might make me feel anxious because it’s such a departure from my usual spending pattern.  Like, I don’t even buy new underwear and new bras at the same time!

But I’m right there with you on the Legos. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok, been thinking about it and I’m changing my order from the ‘56 corvette to a new back porch.  Now wait...before you say that the back porch is too practical, hear me out.

The back porch would be totally tricked out to be a cat heaven.  There would be a cat door to get to it and then there would be like 50 cat towers for them to climb, and shelves with steps up the side of the walls, and all sorts of beds and tunnels everywhere and springy toys nailed into the walls so they could bat them and they’d spring around.  It would be AMAZING.  

So, I’d be able to clean off my nasty, useless porch, get rid of the slightly moldy outdoor carpeting and convert it into something super cool.  Sort of practical and sort of goofball all at the same time. ? To make it cool would certainly use up the entire $50k.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Garga said:

Ok, been thinking about it and I’m changing my order from the ‘56 corvette to a new back porch.  Now wait...before you say that the back porch is too practical, hear me out.

Good choice to change your order! Those first and second generation Corvettes are beautiful but NOT a whole lot of fun to drive/ride in. I like my comfy newer one...dh had a ‘65 and it was loud and uncomfortable. (But selling it did pay for grad school so there’s that!). Your porch concept sounds awesome. My cat would be drooling over a place like that.  

• Like 1

I would send it to pay off my student loans.  IF I cannot do that, maybe I would buy a car. I always thought it would be cool to have a Telsa. Of course, the kids could not fit in the Telsa so it would have to be the "spare car." But as long as I am being impractical, I might as well get a spare car. 

Well, actually, you know, I would love to remodel my bathroom and get a new artificial Christmas tree and a nice watch and maybe even a storage building in my yard, you know..one of those small buildings people put their outdoor stuff in and the building is in the backyard..oh..a shed...yes, a shed. I would like a shed.  And a play house. A playhouse would be nice. 

How much would it cost to totally trick my house up with solar panels and water catchment and make my house totally off grid?  That'd be cool! But probably more than $50k, right?

Then maybe a Treehouse Masters treehouse? If I told them I had a tight budget? The kids would like that. With a zipline. 

Gift $10,000 to each kid. No strings attached.

Pre-pay an African Photo Safari.

If there's anything left, add days to our spring Caribbean trip. If dh can't stay longer, I'd stay by myself. 

If there's still anything left, Christmas gifts. 

If I can't pay rent or practical.  Rent a house in Melbourne for a month my mother can spend some time with my brother and kids.  By a care that is a bit nicer than I need, buy some books and furniture just because it would be nice to have them.  Buy a laptop.  Maybe some other travel.  AOPS on line courses for ds11 and maybe something for ds9.

Oh, gosh, all these ideas are giving me new ideas.

I sometimes fantasize about sending dh away for a bit and having the garage renovated while he was gone.  It's detached and now works poorly as a shop and storage area.  I'd have them add a second story, and insulate the whole thing, make it really great as shop and storage, and add a teeny toilet.  And a fridge with an integral kegging system.  

Also, I have always really wanted a pair of real leather pants.  The ones like jeans but black leather, something like Pat Beneath might wear.  If I had pants like that, I might be forced to buy a Triumph to go with them.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Year passes to both the symphony and ballet for myself, dh, our children and 1 extra for a potential guest. Best seats available.

Some new furniture that I’ve had my eye on.

Gift cards to my favorite stores, so technically I spent it, but can buy things later.

Fence for our backyard, and stairs off our deck so the dogs can be let out without trekking through the basement.

Shopping fun at Tiffany’s.

Responsible choices would be basement remodel, new car, new washer/dryer (which at this point in my laundry routine might also qualify as fun).

Assuming I can't invest it or prepay things like college...

I'd arrange a couple of huge trips for us for within the next year. We want to go to Australia to see friends - I'd buy an off the hook trip. And then, while it's not in the plans for any time soon because of the money, I'd arrange a trip for the kids and me... maybe to India, because I haven't been.

I'd pay a guy to come finish the rest of the basement, including the secret bathroom.

I'd give a good chunk to something... Maybe half of what I was giving to a political cause I care about and half to a humanitarian one... maybe Bread for the City or something.

Take ds to Japan to have him a custom wardrobe done. 

I'd go champing in England and take a few people with me. 

Take my mom to see a few things around the country she's always wanted to do

I'd buy high end comfy sofas for my undergraduate school hallway by the history department - there is nothing but hard benches by most of the history classrooms.

I'd buy mini-staplers for all of my students, because for the love of everything holy, why can't students learn to staple papers!!!!

I'd get a real massage. 

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Well, since I have a huge college bill to pay for 2 kids, I could "blow" $50K in 5 minutes by paying off the current loan, and the next year.  And I would still owe some more.....

Sigh.

Responsible Pippen would fund college tuition and an internship in Washington DC, then put the rest towards much needed home repairs/updates.

Frivolous Pippen would be looking at ideas like: retiring a year early, taking a vacation with each of my kids, new furniture, buying a new camper, and visiting Germany and the Ukraine where my family came from. I'd also purchase headstones for family plots in several cemeteries because it bothers me that their final resting places are unmarked.

34 minutes ago, Pippen said:

Responsible Pippen would fund college tuition and an internship in Washington DC, then put the rest towards much needed home repairs/updates.

Frivolous Pippen would be looking at ideas like: retiring a year early, taking a vacation with each of my kids, new furniture, buying a new camper, and visiting Germany and the Ukraine where my family came from. I'd also purchase headstones for family plots in several cemeteries because it bothers me that their final resting places are unmarked.

Right now I don't really have the option to not be responsible with money......sigh.

16 hours ago, Farrar said:

Assuming I can't invest it or prepay things like college...

I'd arrange a couple of huge trips for us for within the next year. We want to go to Australia to see friends - I'd buy an off the hook trip. And then, while it's not in the plans for any time soon because of the money, I'd arrange a trip for the kids and me... maybe to India, because I haven't been.

I'd pay a guy to come finish the rest of the basement, including the secret bathroom.

I'd give a good chunk to something... Maybe half of what I was giving to a political cause I care about and half to a humanitarian one... maybe Bread for the City or something.

The secret bathroom? That sounds like a story.

2 hours ago, QueenCat said:

The secret bathroom? That sounds like a story.

There's not really a story, but the house had a not really functioning bathroom in the unfinished basement which we completely closed up rather than drop 10k to remodel. And now my children tell me it's not there. We had a huge argument about it last year and I had to pull stuff out and prove it.

• Haha 1

I'd buy a car for my husband, hire someone to build an outdoor fireplace for our patio (or a really nice fire pit if the fireplace wouldn't work with the current design (I don't want to completely change the design), get some new living room furniture, and go ahead and rent a big lake house for a week next summer so that all our kids and their families could come and we could have a wonderful time together.

If I had to be responsible, I still might buy a car, but it wouldn't be as nice, and the rest would maybe be divided between mortgage principal and beefing up our retirement a little bit.

ETA: I hope we wouldn't have to pay that huge tax on the money, like you do with prize money.

Edited by Jaybee

I'd tithe and immediately pay off our debts.  Real-life me would save the rest ($15k) for a downpayment on a house.  If it has to be gone in a weekend, though, I guess I'd get some nice Christmas presents, a really nice violin of the next size up for my daughter, buy out the rental contract for my son's cello, get the piano tuned, pay so my daughter can compete in all the gymnastics meets this upcoming season instead of the three we can afford, gym memberships for me and dh, and maybe some plane tickets--either for a family trip to Washington D.C., or for dh and me to visit Argentina or Europe.

I'd blow it on the house/yard and/or open a small business. (There is a very specific kind of store I want to shop in that my city lacks. I feel that my metro area could support it--the products are consumable, so there should be plenty of repeat customers.)

DH would not love either of those options and would wonder if we could get away with saving it somehow. If he had to spend it, he'd probably go with a new car (his is nearly voting age) and insurance for it.