Menu

My daughter wants to major in history.

popmom

This girl. She's very intelligent. 4.0 gpa --currently a sophomore. She's what I would call "driven". Very motivated. Settles for nothing less than excellence in all she does. She and a friend have recently started a dog rescue to help reduce euthanasia at an animal control facility in a rural Georgia town nearby. This is what she does in her spare time! Raising funds, finding fosters, transporting dogs to vet clinics, etc.

She is about to change her major for the third time, and she's stressed. Her passions are dogs and history. She knows history is not practical. She thinks it's a waste of her scholarship because she knows there are no jobs for history majors. I don't disagree. She knows she's capable of "more". She's also considering pharmacy and physical therapy because she knows the jobs and money are automatic, but she fears being stuck in a career she hates.

I'm torn. How do I counsel her in this decision?

ETA: If you read my signature, she's the one in natural resources management. Graphic design daughter is dead set. No wavering there. :)

Edited by stephensgirls

She should really not get a degree for a job if she thinks she'll hate the job. I don't care how much money it makes, that's a bad idea.

There are jobs for history majors. (Google suggests most of them go on to law school, if they don't decide to teach.) Most of them don't involve using the specific degree, but if she has the relevant work experience then she doesn't need her degree to match her field.

Alternatively, she can do a double major - history, and also something she thinks is more practical but enjoyable. (Though really, I'm gonna put a plug here for the idea that education is valuable for its own sake, not just because it makes you money. The pursuit of knowledge is intrinsically worthwhile, but who steals my purse steals trash.)

• Like 23

DigiPentold me that anyone can learn to code. What the games no industry lacks is people who know stories. He suggested history and literature focus—classical education. Of course she would need to do some coding classes. But I thought that was an interesting comment.

There are jobs for history majors because being able to think and write is handy in an employee. What's more important than the degree is how well those skills translate into skill in interviewing. If she wants to continue with history, I'd also recommend a double major in a different faculty. Perhaps event management or something, since that ties into her hobby. 

[quote name="Tanaqui" post="7853753" timestamp="1509430424

Alternatively, she can do a double major - history, and also something she thinks is more practical but enjoyable. (Though really, I'm gonna put a plug here for the idea that education is valuable for its own sake, not just because it makes you money. The pursuit of knowledge is intrinsically worthwhile, but who steals my purse steals trash.)

I totally agree with this except for LOANS. Even with most of her tuition covered, she'll still graduate with a minimum of 22k in loans. More if it takes her more than 4 yrs to graduate. My husband and I can help with some of the debt, but we have 4 kids to put through college... This is where my practical side starts kicking in and I'm thinking... yeah, pharmacist. How bad can it be?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the encouraging replies. I really want what is best for her ultimately. If we were rich, I wouldn't hesitate to tell her to switch to history. But bills are a thing. And food. And mortgages. Really, I'm torn. I really want her to follow her passion for history... . Keep telling me how she can make this work. :)

• Like 2

DigiPentold me that anyone can learn to code. What the games no industry lacks is people who know stories. He suggested history and literature focus—classical education. Of course she would need to do some coding classes. But I thought that was an interesting comment.

I'd love to hear more about this. My graphic design daughter is very interested in video games. Who is DigiPen?

Off to bed. I'll check in asap tomorrow.

Edited by stephensgirls

I really want her to follow her passion for history...

Why? It sounds like her real passion is the dogs. She's running a dog related charity in her spare time, not chairing meetings for the local historical society.

Her intelligence isn't something she owes anyone. There are lots of people who have the intelligence for high prestige jobs, but the personality for lower prestige jobs. Student loans bite though, so practicalities are important. How can she monetise those dogs?

Why? It sounds like her real passion is the dogs. She's running a dog related charity in her spare time, not chairing meetings for the local historical society.

Her intelligence isn't something she owes anyone. There are lots of people who have the intelligence for high prestige jobs, but the personality for lower prestige jobs. Student loans bite though, so practicalities are important. How can she monetise those dogs?

There is no monetizing the dogs. lol I wish. There is a never ending need for donations. I feel like the rescue is great experience for her. She is using her administrative gifts on top of her love for dogs. But that passion will have to be a hobby.

Also, she really does have a passion for history. Not just dogs. She just hasn't seen a need in a local historical society. I have no doubts she could do both.

Edited by stephensgirls
  • Like 1

Actually the IT guy at DH's work has a degree in History.

• Like 9

I appreciate everyone's input. I know everyone is different. I'm hoping to take a little bit from each perspective to help guide my daughter. I know there's no "one right way" to do this. It helps to hear others perspectives because what I hear from my own extended family is to go for the money. Go for the guaranteed employment.

Okay now I'm going to bed. :)

There is no monetizing the dogs. lol I wish. 

People do have dog related careers. If she likes admin, she might work for the organisation that trains guide dogs, or something like that. Bills don't have to be paid by the one employer either. She might work for the Guide Dog association, teach the police how to train their dogs and train assistance dogs for people with special needs. The happiest women I know work a few days a week for an organisation that pays them a regular wage and work their own businesses during the other days.

As others suggest, I'd advise the "history and" route. It could be a double major or it could be just enough to qualify for something else. Like:

History and the required science courses for med or vet school

History and education

History and GIS (these work really well together and GIS applies to so many other fields. A lot of schools have an option to finish the certification, not just a whole major)

History and IT

One could go and get an MLS too. Now, library science graduates don't just work in libraries. Library science is data management. I know a lot of MLS people employed at places like the CIA, Homeland security and various government contractors. My hesitation would be cost. I think if one is interested in the CIA history is a great degree along with fluency in another language and some IT skills. There are all kinds of research and analysis jobs which require the skills of a history degree, at that place.

Just some of my ideas.

• Like 5

I would also suggest that if a double major would take an additional year, that year might be better spent getting an MA.   My MA had nothing to do with my undergrad degree, but it would have been a waste of time to double major as I would have needed an MA anyway, so that year was better spent as a grad student.

• Like 7

Our Best Man and dh's good friend was a history major. He now works for the military (as a civilian) in the intelligence field. History is one of the majors that works in that field. ETA: There are a lot of government jobs for which a history major could apply. FBI, CIA... heck, even the National Park Service, for which my husband works, hires a lot of history majors as park rangers at their national historic sites. It's definitely not an unhireable degree.

Edited by Kinsa

A few thoughts:

If she is as driven as you say, she'll take advantage of opportunities to make the history degree work. She can find internships and other opportunities (that may or may not be related to history), and she'll knock the socks off of the people in charge, who will then recommend her for other opportunities and so on. Through these interactions, she'll find people that inspire her and projects that speak to her. She'll discover skills that she wants to develop in order to make a more significant impact. And she'll do it.

As others have said, with a history degree, she'll be honing her ability to reason, write, persuade, etc. Coupled with rich extracurricular/internship/work experiences that demonstrate real skills, this kind of graduate can be extremely valuable.

I've been a resume writer for 15 years, and I've helped many college graduates land their first professional job. History and English and Philosophy majors pursue all kinds of careers: marketing, politics, IT, fundraising, sales, etc. They often make themselves more marketable for that first job by taking some kind of certification course, either through the adult ed department of their college or online.

Yes, pharmacy seems like the more secure path, and if she were equally excited about that option, I'd lean that way. But if it's an "eh, I guess I should do pharmacy" (said with a resigned sigh), I'd wonder if she would stick with it.

• Like 8

Has she done career testing through the college? My dd was like that, with an interest that doesn't typically lead to a living wage, family-friendly income, and I told her she had to do career testing first. It was very insightful and the results came back saying what her father had told her, haha.

The thing they told dd is that she doesn't necessarily need to *major* in those areas, that a number of them required grad degrees or were things that multiple paths could lead to. But once she saw HERSELF more accurately and where her strengths were and where this was going, she realized ok then these are my gifts and the facets I need to develop, no matter what I'm majoring in.

Also, it's very important what job she works while there or what opportunities she has in the summer. That will give her experiences and open doors to being hired. As the others say, the major doesn't really matter. Sometimes the major just means I can write, I can show up on time, I can juggle lots of things. So she wants to use her summers and breaks really well.

Yeah, definitely do career testing. With those interests, I can think of several majors or minors or certificates she could be pursuing that would come together and help her engage with her passions. Sounds like she has some drive. Has she thought about law school?

• Like 2

We are historical re enactors, so we spend our summers with lots of history buffs. The majority love history but don’t work in that field, history is a hobby to them. Other things pay the bills.

A few DO work in history- public school teachers, historically cal sites, and museum staff. The teachers are the best paid and get the summer to spend doing living history for the public.

• Like 2

She should not go into a field she does not really want to work in. She won't be happy.

She should make an appointment with some people in the history department and discuss career options for history majors. While there may be a shortage of jobs in "typical" history jobs (museum curators etc), the history major is writing intensive, and the skills she develops are valuable across disciplines and can be used in different fields. 

Is a double major a possibility? That can be a good option if she wants to increase her employability by developing a unique skill profile.

• Like 6

I think this partly depends on your family culture. What's the purpose of college in your family?

A history degree gives her many directions in which to go, some of which are going to be harder than others, but she's driven and if this is her passion - she will do it. She might talk to people at her history department for guidance on career paths.

If pharmacy is not that interesting, but she feels it's her only path ... eh, that sounds pretty awful.

A young man I love was "heavily encouraged" into engineering. He felt he had no choice in the matter. It didn't go well. At all. He lost a year of college, and almost his life. After a hospitalization and therapy, he was able to get a degree in the field that makes his heart happy. He won't be wealthy, but he can get a decent job with benefits, even without grad school.

• Like 5

Could she minor in history and keep her current major?  BIL was an English major who got an MA in computer science and ended up working for years for a publishing company that wanted his computer skills.

Friend from grad school was an English major, got her PhD from University of Chicago (I met her as a roommate when she got her MA in English at UCLA)...and joined the Foreign Service.  Ended up with an impressive career.  She had decided at graduation that she did not want to pursue a career in academia at that time.  So - you never know where you will end up with a non-SPED degree in something you love.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

Are pharmacy and physical therapy even things she can switch to at this point and still graduate on time? Wouldn't she need grad school, too?

The couple of people I have known go into pharmacy really hated it. So I wouldn't push someone who wasn't interested to that.

If she is going to need grad school anyway I would encourage her to major in history and take the time while doing that to figure out what she wants to get her Masters in.

Many people in my life have careers only tangentially related to their undergraduate degree. A degree in history could lead to a graduate degree in something like educational statistics and evaluation, could lead to a job in data analysis. Sometimes the path just isn't as clear and direct as those with more technical and specific degrees.

My college kid was looking at a minor in non-profit management. Your dd is already pretty deep in that area. A history major with a minor in non-profit management could probably get started in all kinds of non-profit organizations. Could lead to desire to get an MBA, etc.

She wouldn't be making a ton of money in an entry level position, true. If the current loan forgiveness program for public service programs is continued (big IF) that could be to her advantage.

My dh worked for awhile for not for profit managing various education projects and grant writing. There are all kinds of jobs out there that don't require a specific technical degree. If she is a go-getter, as she sounds like, I'd let her get the history degree and go from there.

• Like 1

I majored in history. I worked in an entry level corporate job for about 5 years, had kids, homeschooled them, and now am back in school. I’m going to go into the health sciences. Would she consider double majoring in education or something like that? What about taking a break from school until she can figure out what she would like to do?

• Like 1

First pharmacy school is a killer...no way should she put herself through that if she doesn't love it. 

Second, her major doesn't determine her job. Lots of jobs for history majors. 

Third, has she considered something like project management? Given her ability to get something running like what she has done, she might be really good at being a project manager, and they make pretty good money and work in all sorts of fields. 

Lastly, how does she feel about teaching high school history? The pay isn't great, but teaching is a good job for women who want to continue to work after having kids, in that they get more time off and many high schools have on site daycares now so that mom can pop in during the day. 

• Like 7

I've never understood the idea that I *must* get my degree in the subject I'm *most* passionate about. For most people, there are other things that you enjoy that would be acceptable. The goal is to find a balance where it is something you would find interesting/enjoy, find employment that pays a living wage, has a reasonable forecast for being around when you graduate and some time thereafter, provide working hours/situation that you find livable. 

If you are passionate about a subject, you don't have to work in that field. You can still volunteer at the local history museum. You can still participate in historical re-enactments. You can still find ways to indulge that interest.

This link might help - https://www.historians.org/jobs-and-professional-development/career-resources/careers-for-history-majors

Personally, I'd advise her to seriously consider what her options are. Take a career interest/cluster survey and see what other options might be out there. 

For example, pharmacists - the job outlook is decent. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm The pay is wonderful.  But, I read an article the past year that pharmacists are struggling because they have less time to talk/counsel their patients as their employers are demanding more work with less resources. For me, that is something to consider as it relates to work environment, and I would not be happy with that as I would be a pharmacist to help people - filing their script, counseling them on it use/side effects/interaction with other meds/etc.  But I think this pushing is a trend in many fields - Do more with less.

• Like 6

OH, and I think if your dd is driven like that, she'll succeed at no matter what she does. Seriously. Sure, there are not a ton of history jobs like professor, or museum director, but the ones that do get those jobs are like your DD. She can start volunteering NOW at a history museum, even a small local one. Stuff like that to make her resume stand out. Or go to a professor that she respects and ask if they need help with anything, start cultivating relationships. She'll be the one writing grants and getting stuff done. 

The people like me...the antithesis of Type A....the "I like history because I like to sit in my room by myself and read it" can't meet a deadline, doesn't like to talk to people, lacking in ambition people.....we aren't the ones snapping up the good jobs, lol. 

(I love myself, but I know my faults.....I have zero ambition and a bit too much go with the flow to be successful in traditional terms)

Oh, and I will say money matters.....I ended up a Vet Tech because I love animals. LOVE them. Not enough ambition to do veterinary school, and didn't think I wanted that job at the time (mistake, probably....at the time being a vet meant owning your own practice which I didn't want, but now you can work part time as a vet very easily). I majored in English for a while, and was going to become a high school teacher until I decided I loved animals too much (was already working in the field). I DID LOVE LOVE LOVE working as a vet tech. But when I ended up divorced, with a kid with special needs who hated aftercare, I sure as crap wish I'd stuck the English degree and become a teacher. I could have had the same schedule as him, been home for him after school and in the summer, AND made more money. 

So love of job only goes so far. Especially with debt. But...she's driven. Be realistic, but if there ARE good jobs in history, with a salary that will pay her bills and her loans, then trust that she is the type to get those jobs. 

• Like 4

Like ktgrok said, her major doesn't determine her job.  Lots of jobs just require a degree...any degree...to get hired.  Our city's grant writer has a history degree.  There are plenty of jobs out there for her. 

Dh just hired someone to work in his test lab. He's got a meteorology degree. See? He needed a degree, any degree.  

• Like 1

This girl. She's very intelligent. 4.0 gpa --currently a sophomore. She's what I would call "driven". Very motivated. Settles for nothing less than excellence in all she does. She and a friend have recently started a dog rescue to help reduce euthanasia at an animal control facility in a rural Georgia town nearby. This is what she does in her spare time! Raising funds, finding fosters, transporting dogs to vet clinics, etc.

She is about to change her major for the third time, and she's stressed. Her passions are dogs and history. She knows history is not practical. She thinks it's a waste of her scholarship because she knows there are no jobs for history majors. I don't disagree. She knows she's capable of "more". She's also considering pharmacy and physical therapy because she knows the jobs and money are automatic, but she fears being stuck in a career she hates.

ETA: If you read my signature, she's the one in natural resources management. Graphic design daughter is dead set. No wavering there. :)

My DD wants to major in history and theology. I told her to go for it. We're not a money oriented or driven family. For us, money is secondary to happiness. If she's happy in what she's doing for work, she'll be successful.

• Like 7

I'm a 50 year old who is majoring in history, so you can see which side I'm going to come down on.  :tongue_smilie: I would also examine why you think a degree is a "waste" because it might not lead to a job in a history related field. Is college about education or career? and how do you balance those with money as an issue. 

I would also challenge both of you to consider what a degree in history means, what does "more" mean and why are history degrees seen as less viable? 

I see this a lot, but from the insider viewpoint, history majors work hard. They are building skills that are transferable to many careers. She could look at public history if her university has that concentration. Public history requires learning how to write grants, something that might be totally useful in dog rescue. As a major we read and write more than most, I've seen people switch out of the major because they couldn't handle the intensive writing and analyzing of material. Our written communication skills are high, etc etc. 

I will agree history jobs are scarce, we work on internships and networking in our department to ensure students have options after graduation. Our majors have recently gone to law school, grad school for PhD in history, jobs in the corporate world, managers of restaurants, work in a museum (hired after an internship),  grad school for library science, and those are just the few I know off my head. 

One thing history majors aren't necessarily great about overall is marketing themselves. We learn how to let the text speak and not insert our bias while writing that to write of our skills is harder. This is one of my desires - to see help history majors market themselves better. Many of our majors do either double major or add a minor or two. I opted to have one minor and do majors honors (which is about the equivalent of another minor). 

I don't know how many people presumed I was going into nursing when I started college. Why? Because I'm old? No, I would make a horrible nurse. I wanted to major in something that was important to me. History is, I fit in with the history discipline. then people started asking if I was going to teach. No, there is a wealth of things to do besides teach with a history degree. I've already worked in jobs I hated, I can't imagine preparing for a career in something that would make me miserable. 

If it were my child, I would encourage them to sit down with someone from the department and discuss these concerns. My questions would be: How much longer will this add to my time here should I change degrees? What is your placement record for students after graduation? Do they offer a general history degree or are concentrations available? Can I safely double major/add minors because of class sequence?

• Like 9

I was a history major. If she insists on continuing in her major, I would seriously recommend a great internship. I totally understand and agree with above posters that say theat she doesn’t have to work in that field. Of course! This can be said for anyone. She will need some job experience though. Maybe double major? There are options but they need to be agreesively pursues since the path won’t be laid out for her like a science degree. Politics? Sure. Get an internship. Museum curator? Need an internship. I had loans after my degree. Is your daughter’s scholarship a full one? Will she have any loans?

I didn’t have enough drive, foresight, or drive to do the above. I’m now back in school after many years and am pursuing a health science degree.

Edited by solascriptura
  • Like 1

DH has one of his bachelor's in history and one of his master's in public policy. His master's thesis required studying the history of the Middle East. He makes decent money as a result of his other degrees (BS in Electrical Engineering and MBA in Finance).

His thesis advisor was a double major in medieval history and physics and that guy wound up U.S. Defense Secretary. 

Moral of the story: double-major in something lucrative, even if it means loans. DH had six figures' worth of grad school loans but was able to pay them off fairly quickly after he graduated. Took working a job he absolutely hated (investment banking) but it was only a few years out of his life.

• Like 2

encourage her to double major in something that will pay the bills.

I was very impressed by a family i know as several of the children were music  majors.  one doubled majored in nursing.  so, a BSN to go with her violin music major.  the dad is also a music major (piano) - who doubled majored in finance.

the school my girls attended doens't allow declaring a major until the summer before their jr year - and that's it.  what they choose is what they major in.   they want them graduated and out for the next batch of students.  

Her intelligence isn't something she owes anyone. There are lots of people who have the intelligence for high prestige jobs, but the personality for lower prestige jobs.

My BIL was a math/accounting major and after working in the field a couple years decided he hated it and now does road construction, which he loves a lot more.

As others suggest, I'd advise the "history and" route. It could be a double major or it could be just enough to qualify for something else. Like:

History and the required science courses for med or vet school

History and education

History and GIS (these work really well together and GIS applies to so many other fields. A lot of schools have an option to finish the certification, not just a whole major)

History and IT

One could go and get an MLS too. Now, library science graduates don't just work in libraries. Library science is data management. I know a lot of MLS people employed at places like the CIA, Homeland security and various government contractors. My hesitation would be cost. I think if one is interested in the CIA history is a great degree along with fluency in another language and some IT skills. There are all kinds of research and analysis jobs which require the skills of a history degree, at that place.

Just some of my ideas.

As a history major our niece worked for a university as an archivist and is currently pursuing a MLS.

We have a friend who was a history major who is now an airline pilot.

I don't know what to tell her but wanted to be a history teacher. My advisor at the time told me history teachers are a dime a dozen, then recommended I volunteer with Special Olympics to see if Special Ed appealed to me. It turned out that I loved those kids, so I majored in ex. ed. and taught it until ds was born and I became a sahm.

I don't know what the teacher situation is currently and if history teachers are needed. If your dd doesn't want to teach then her options with a history degree are really limited. I don't have any advice but I understand how she feels. I would have loved to have gotten a history degree and done something with it. I still love history but these days I only show that love in my non-fiction reading choices.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I appreciate everyone's input. I know everyone is different. I'm hoping to take a little bit from each perspective to help guide my daughter. I know there's no "one right way" to do this. It helps to hear others perspectives because what I hear from my own extended family is to go for the money. Go for the guaranteed employment.

Okay now I'm going to bed. :)

I have thoughts.  :)

A job involves how you spend the  majority of your time.  

Making money is what is required to pay bills. 

How does she want to spend the majority of her time?

How much money does she expect to need?  This is a different question than how much money can she make.  

22K in debt is not chump change but it is certainly manageable even on a modest salary.  

• Like 3

Has she thought about non-profit management?  Sounds kind of what she likes doing for the shelter.

I'm in favor of pursuing passions, but if she acquires debt the reality is that she will have to pay it off.  DD is a science kid, and I encouraged her toward health care.  It didn't really click with her.  DD wants to be a high school science teacher, which in our state is pretty low paying.  I advised her that was fine, but she needs to have little to no debt if she goes that route.  

Pursuing passions is no fun when you can't pay the minimal bills.

• Like 4

I remember nuclear engineering.  People went into it to make money, and then the job market for it tanked.  It was absolutely galling.

That could easily happen with pharmacy jobs.  They are already far less professional then they used to be--no significant amounts of personal formulation, for instance.  My guess is that eventually pharmacists will only be interaction consultants and machines will count the pills.  And then she will be in a job market that is more competitive and even less fun. 

What I would suggest she add to history to be more marketable is foreign language fluency in Spanish and one other language.  That would be a powerful package for teaching in various environments and for foreign service and for multicultural capabilities.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

How does your daughter feel about her own personal lifestyle? Right now she can freely follow her passions because she is being supported. Once college ends and she’s no longer living with mom and dad, will she be truly happy without all of the “stuff†a higher earning career purchases. Some people can be very content with a simpler lifestyle and some are just happier being able to have the vacation and nicer car. Her career choice should support her student loan repayment and anticipated lifestyle. To gain knowledge, you just have to know how to read, but getting an expensive degree in today’s world should lead to self-supporting adulthood. I get it. My own daughter is double majoring in English and secondary ed. She’s largely content with a comfy chair and a book and has never been one to clamor for stuff.

For some people,the boring, practical career finances the things that make their heart sing during non-business hours. There is a difference between truly hating your job and finding it less fun than your hobby.

• Like 5

Absolutely major in history. There are lots of jobs for people who can research, read and write.

Instead of a double major, I would look at professional certifications. They are more career oriented than a most majors. A history major with a high GPA and a certificate in Business Adminstration, Project Management, Human Resource Management, or Paralegal Studies is going to be employed.

These are actual certificates offered by the extension program of my undergrad university. They are way more affordable than law school, which is what I did with my humanities degree. I have no regrets, but I wish these options had been on my radar as an undergraduate.

Edited by Lawyer&Mom
  • Like 3

This is a very small sample size - one person, so please take it for what it's worth.

One of my current students has a Bachelor's Degree in Art History, an MBA, and is now working on her Bachelor's in Data Analytics to improve her job prospects. 

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Like 1

My dil is a history major.  She's quite driven too, and would say that her passions are horses and history.

What does she do with it?  

At the start, she also decided to get a TESL certificate.  This enabled to her to get a job within the school district as an ESL assistant.  That was a route she was thinking of continuing, and she liked that her history major also helped her have a better understanding of other cultures.  

But after a move, she was able to get into an entry-level HR job, simply because she has a degree and appears smart and knows how to talk to people.  She is slowly working her way up, and is now head of HR in a small company.

I guess I forgot to mention that her third passion is writing!  She loves writing historical novels, and her love for and education in history has helped her with this tremendously.  In fact, her first historical novel has just been picked up and will be published this spring!

Her goal is to keep writing and be able to quit her HR job altogether.  :)

So yes, she is using her history degree, but had a couple back-up plans too.

• Like 5