Menu

My turn :) Help me with baby girl names that fit a virtues theme

rose

The other baby name thread make me think that I could ask you all for some suggestion. Our girls are virtues. We have Faith, Patience, and Agnes (mean purity in Greek). Our boys are Paul, Silas, James and John.

Joy is my favourite but unusable because dh is Joel. Hope is what we named our miscarried baby. I don't want to do Charity because I know that I'll have about 5000 people will ask me "where's Hope" when we say that we have children named Faith and Charity. It would just make me sad to always be reminded of my miscarried baby. Sophia is just way to popular right now otherwise I would use that in a heart beat.

I kind-of like Piety. My dh likes Alatheia (truth in Greek). It's a little too weird for my tastes. We tossed around Simplicity but I think that it might be a little heavy to carry because some people think of simplicity as a negative trait. I think that I like Justice. Dh thinks that it's a boys name. I sort-of like Temperance too. I've gone through all the online lists that I can find but really I think that we'll probably settle with a less than normal virtue name, or maybe a foreign translation of a virtue.

So what names can you think of? Give me all your weird and wonderful virtues. They don't even have to be official names. All will be considered.

I don't think that Joel and Joy are too close, so I'd keep that on the list.

I'm really fond of Verity.  I have a aunt named Thankful, and always loved the name although I wouldn't have had the courage to use it.  

Sophia, which means Wisdom is very nice.

Shiloh means peace, and I love it, but the Jolie-Pitt association is quite strong with hit.

• Like 2

Of your list, I like Joy or Sophia and agree with Faith Manor that Grace is beautiful. I can't say that I like Piety or Temperance and Justice sounds trendy to me. If you really like Joy, I'd go for it. I don't think it would be a problem with your husband's name. It might be a bit different if it was a son's name, but even then, I think it would be fine.

Grace. That is my DD's name.

Mercy.

I understand why not Joy, but what about aomething like Joy-Lynn?

I liked Justice as a girl's middle name, but the first name was Georgia and Georgia Justice sounds like a bad page out of US hostory...

• Like 4

Constance - that's my own real name, so I do like it :)

Honor or Honoria

Grace

Amity

Felicity

Peace (this seems more modern than the others)

Justice or Justina

Verity

Clemency or Clementine

Comfort

Thankful (boy, that's a throwback!)

Harmony

Sophie or Sophia (means wisdom, of course)

Glory or Gloria

Serenity (well, are you a fan of Joss Whedon?)

Mercy

And for the record, I think Joy is a lovely name, and not at all too similar to Joel - especially since he's your husband and not one of your sons! If the Duggars can get away with having a Johanna and a Joy-Anna in the same family (and evidence suggests that they can) then you can certainly manage to have a father named Joel who has a daughter named Joy.

Joy also has the advantage of not being too... well, "marked", for lack of a better word. If you go ahead with "Piety", everybody who meets your kid for the next 90 years is going to say "Your parents were really religious, weren't they?" And I'm guessing that's true, but your kid might get tired of saying "Yup", even if it's true for her as well. Joy is a much more common name, and judging from your comment, you like both of them about the same.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 12

Grace is a classic

Merritt

Prudence

Zoe means Life

Alethea means truth

I have a friend who chose her life verse as "The way, the truth and the life" and named her kids accordingly :)

I went to school with the following:

Patience

Trinity

Promise

I tried to get Verity past dh but it wouldn't fly - we had boys anyway.

Serena/Serenity

Nadia means hope

Jemima means dove/peace

Pearl as a symbol of wisdom

Miranda means wonderful/worthy of admiration

Celeste

Victoria

Can you use Joy with a middle name, so that it doesn't sound as much like your dh?  Joy Marie? Joy Louise?  

Hope

Constance

Prudence  (I don't really care for Prudence so much, but I think the nickname "Pru" is super cute!)

Cornelia (You could call her Cora);  I wouldn't have thought of this, but it was listed on a virtuous names website.

• Like 1

I don't think that Joel and Joy are too close, so I'd keep that on the list.

I'm really fond of Verity.  I have a aunt named Thankful, and always loved the name although I wouldn't have had the courage to use it.  

Sophia, which means Wisdom is very nice.

Shiloh means peace, and I love it, but the Jolie-Pitt association is quite strong with hit.

Just remembered that "Shalom" also means peace. I've always liked Grace as well.

• Like 1

Haven, Mercy, Felicity, Truly, and maybe Zoe as a stretch.

Have you thought of looking at translations. The name Carita is Charity in Swedish. Agnes means Chaste. Also, Farah means Joy, but our ears don't really read it as foreign since we've used it so long.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Piety makes me immediately think Piteous.  Piety is not a happy name to me.

I had a friend named Charity and she HATED her name.  She was asked various forms of Faith, Hope, Charity questions every single day we worked together. She told me she was asked daily about it so on a whim we started tracking it and sure enough, it was a very rare day that went by that someone didn't mention it.  I would seriously avoid it.

Temperance makes me think of the TV show Bones because the main character is Temperance Brennon. (Sp?) I think it is cute, but I like her character so that is part of why I like it.

Justice is definitely a boys name in our area. It could be used for a girl, but on name rosters, the assumption will be that she is male.   (MY dd18 goes by her middle name which is a boys name, so this isn't bad in my book, but just something they will have to grow up with.  I didn't expect dd to prefer her middle name, so it is her choice to deal with it or not)

Simplicity is too much of a name to me.  Awkward to say, and what if she is a sparkly, glitter loving, bling happy, girly girl?  It makes me think of my moms clay-grey, workhorse, 30lb sewing machine, that could sew denim and sleeping bags.   Very bland, heavy and basic.  Not like a sweet little girl at all to me.

Joy is  cute and sweet and not too close to Joel at all.  

Sophia is classic and while a bit common, not too much so. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I ended up doing a search of vitures, and synonyms

temperance

honor

thankful

tolerance

clemency -clementine

patience

ruth - which came  up under a synonym for mercy

amity

caritas - synonym for compassion/charity

endurance

reliance

earnestness/earnestine

fortitude

constance

persistence

vivacity/vivacious/vivian

pertinacity/tenacity

celestial

humble

serene/serina

industry

reliable

peace

committment

confidence

honesty

dignity

Justice is on the prohibited list here which is a pity because I always loved Justus which is also prohibited. I like Constance and Prudence. I wouldn't lumber any kid with charity or chastity. My son has a kid called Rejoice in his class.

I like Charis, Grace (super popular though), Haven, Joy (I don't think it's too similar to Joel).

We have friends who gave their kids virtue middle names. One is True and another is Christian. For a girl you could use Christina.

I like Charis, Grace (super popular though), Haven, Joy (I don't think it's too similar to Joel).

We have friends who gave their kids virtue middle names. One is True and another is Christian. For a girl you could use Christina.

What about Christiane or Christiana?

• Like 1

My oldest daughter's name is Katharine. I read that it came from Katharos = Pure in Greek. There are lots of spellings.

Her name is actually Katharine Elizabeth - Pure Gift of God.

Has someone suggested Hannah? Also means favor/grace.

My youngest daughter is Hannah Louise - I meant it as gracious warrior.

I love naming babies!!!

Edited by Liza Q
  • Like 1

My sister and I have Joy and Grace as our middle names.  I think you could totally use Joy even if your DH is Joel.  

On a slightly different note, you could also use things like Pearl and Ruby, because of their Biblical significance.

(I agree that I would not want to use Charity either for the same reason.)

I love Sophia as well.

• Like 1