Menu

What age do you hope to live to?

Tap

What age do you expect to live to?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What age do you expect to live to?

• 40+
    • 50+
    • 60+
    • 70+
    • 80+
    • 90+
    • 100+
    • Other

Sometimes I think.....my life is half over.  I am in my mid-40s so I do the math, and realize that it may be wishful thinking on my part. My father's family generally live until the upper 90s, We lost my maternal grandmother in her late 80s.

With my chronic stress and less active lifestyle (back issue), I wonder if I will have a shorter lifespan  than my genetic familial average. Will our environment do us all in at younger ages in the future?  Or will improvements in science/health care, make our lifespan longer? 

Barring something tragic....what age do you anticipate living to see? 

Well I am grateful for every year and try not to take anything for granted. My father lived to almost 80, my mother is 77 and my grandmother was 79 when she passed. Genetics may or may not be on my side. It would help to know where most of my genetic inheritance came from. My mother's brother died young (in his early sixties) from heart disease. His biological daughter - my cousin died in her forties.

I don't have any history farther back or more branched out.

Whatever age I am when I die, I hope to be still in fairly good shape, mentally and physically. This may sound like an oxymoron but one can be in fairly good shape and still pass away of something that does not rob a person of years of independence. I dread being isolated to home or bed during my last years. I hope my eyes go last. At least I would want to be able to read...

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

mid 90's seems to be the age of my ancestors. same as DH 

Dh told me the the other day that he read/heard/saw something about cutting out meat entirely and you will live for 10 years longer. I told him that mid 90's with meat sounds great to me- he can live into his early 100's if he wants with no meat. :laugh:

• Like 7

mid 90's seems to be the age of my ancestors. same as DH 

Dh told me the the other day that he read/heard/saw something about cutting out meat entirely and you will live for 10 years longer. I told him that mid 90's with meat sounds great to me- he can live into his early 100's if he wants with no meat. :laugh:

If this means red meat I am good. :) But I do like chicken, turkey and fish!

• Like 1

I want to live to at least eighty, but I don't want a long decline. Reasonably old with a quick death if I had to choose.

God has his own plan on that, of course!

My husband's family is very long lived in general, especially the women. My family is has a few nonagenarians and centenarians but also some earlier deaths, so it's hard to say.

Edited by Arctic Mama

My family all seems to go in the mid-80s.  

If I could choose between dropping dead at 75 or being rather ill and incapacitated to 85, I'd rather just drop dead earlier.  But I know we can't choose, and I'm beginning to understand that choices I make now may affect my ability to live well as a senior, so I'm trying to clean up my act sooner rather than later!  But in the end, it's always a roll of the dice.

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 3

Who knows? My paternal grandparents both lived into their mid to late 90's. My father lived until 85 despite diabetes that was not well controlled his last few years. My mothers' family tends to die a bit earlier. Statistically, I'd say at least into my early 80's is a relatively safe bet.

I think my concern is about quality rather than quantity, though.

• Like 2

As we discussed in the recent thread "I Don't Want To Be Old", it's mainly about how healthy I stay in body and mind. My grandfather lived to be 98 and was still playing piano and writing his memoirs in his 90s. That would be nice. But my grandmother lived to be 96 and was in a nursing home for ten years with dementia. That would not be so cool.

• Like 6

Dh's grandfathers both died in their early 70s.  His father died at 63.  The women lived longer.  One grandma died at 95 and the other is still alive at 104.  The grandma who is 104 is in horrible health and has been for over 10 years.  But she keeps living.

My mother (adoptive mother, so no bio blood) is currently 86 and in horrible health, I am actually very surprised she is still alive.  So far all of her female relatives have lived to their late 70s/early 80s, so she has outlived all of her female relatives so far.  I can't explain why.  She has been in horrible health for YEARS, doesn't eat well, doesn't exercise, there is no reason she should outlive them.  But she has.

My family is all over the place with this.  My mother died at 49, but my grandmother is 90 and still going.  What I wish ultimately is to live as long as I am relatively healthy.  I don't want to spend years suffering.  I don't want to undergo painful treatments to prolong my life by a couple of months (like my mother did).  I want whatever time I have to be quality and not so much quantity. 

• Like 2

My family seems to live into their 80s or 90s so long as they don't do anything stupid, like smoke a pack a day. However, that's following a decade or two of miserable decline. I'm trying to learn about health and take care of myself while I'm young and it's relatively easy.

The major exception was a aunt who died of a heart attack in her 50s a year or two ago. That sparked a mid-life crisis in my parents.

We have longevity in our genes (lots of relatives lived into their 90s.) But my mom had lots of chronic health problems in her life. Her last two years were difficult, but she was glad to die before she ended up in a nursing home. Mom was a very social person and the loss of friends and the isolation of illness would have been too much for her.

I don't have a number in mind for myself, but I'd like for my mind and body to be serviceable up until I die. I don't want my mind to outlive my body by too much and I certainly don't wish for my body to outlive my mind.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I would like to live to my 90s.  I know many people in their late 90s and they are all doing fine.  88 is about as far as the ladies in my fam are making it, but I've had the benefit of their genetics to guide my decisions. I have friends whose parents are in the late 90s.   Unfortunately I may not outlive my parents ( dead by 53)), as the genetic variance that didn't get uncovered till recently may send me early. It would not have been caught at mom's death if autopsied as science wasn't there yet -- she died  because the doctors could do nothing for her.   I have about 3 more years till I see how the die rolled on my situation, if its bad I've got two years with current science, more if there is something in the works.  If I lucked out, the dice roll every year, but the odds are better. My children won't have to worry, the supplement they need has been invented and is marketed widely so they don't have to go down my path.

Edited by Heigh Ho

I hope to live into my nineties. Genetically, this is a realistic expectation.. Both mygrandmothers lived into their nineties, were healthy and alert, died in their own beds after short illness. My aunt is 89, lives alone and handles her own affairs. My great grandmother lived to 96 and was in good health until age 94.

Long life, however, is ultimately less important to me than quality of life. I'd rather die earlier while still in possession of my mental and physical faculties than linger with dementia or pain.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I put 50+.  Since I reach that in a couple of months, I think I'll be ok.   :lol:

Otherwise, add me to those who say I only hope to live as long as life is actually worth living (physically and mentally).

On my dad's side my grandparents lived to 66 (died of a heart attack) and 80 (murdered).

On my mom's side my grandparents lived until 88 (degenerative bone/blood issue with mental components) and 94 (old age, but with a broken hip and nursing home horrid care since age 91).

If predictions hold, my mom will pass away at 75 (later this year or early next) of cancer.  She's feeling cheated of 15 years TBH.

Everyone else of my parent's generation or younger in my family is still alive - and mostly well.  The couple who smoke have far more issues than those who don't.

I'm ok dying at 50 - or 94 - or anywhere in between.  It will all depend upon how my brain and body handle things.  I don't want to end up with family old age records, but little/no life for any number of years.  (Ok, to be really technical, I'd like to be around at least until youngest son graduates college next year, but I'll still be 50 then so it fits the range.)

• Like 1

I saw a documentary not too long ago where they interviewed people who lived into their 100s.  Most of them weren't particularly happy about it because while they may have been mostly mentally with it, their body just didn't cooperate.  They couldn't do what they used to enjoy doing.  They slept a lot.  That's the thing with my grandmother in her 90s.  She spends most of her time sleeping. 

• Like 4

I want whatever time I have to be quality and not so much quantity. 

This is why I voted other.

I'm sorry about your mother.  

I saw a documentary not too long ago where they interviewed people who lived into their 100s.  Most of them weren't particularly happy about it because while they may have been mostly mentally with it, their body just didn't cooperate.  They couldn't do what they used to enjoy doing.  They slept a lot.  That's the thing with my grandmother in her 90s.  She spends most of her time sleeping. 

Also, once people get really old, they start outliving all their friends and many family members.  I imagine that would be so depressing.  

• Like 2

Well, I've told my children I'd like to live to be 68.  By then everyone will be adults and (I assume) have families of their own.  They don't really like when I say that.  The reality is I don't want to be a bother, and I don't really think they'll *need* me like they think they will.  I guess I'd like to live to be about 80, but only if I can have some independence, which I don't think I will given my extended family health (and also my marriage - if I'm honest).   My mom & her sister were both 73 when they passed.  Their mother was in her low 80s.  My dad is going to turn 80.  His parents didn't make it to 80 due to smoking.  My dad never smoked, so we'll see what happens.  

My dh's family are long-lived.  My FIL was 103 when he died and his mom was almost 100.  My MIL will be 91 this summer.  

I have no interest in living to be 100.  None.

As a person who has had chronic illnesses starting in early 20's, I have a very different perspective than many of you.  I am really happy that I made it to my goal which was to survive at least until my youngest was through high school.  My body hasn't worked right for a long time.  I am used to it not working right.  Physical stuff doesn't and hasn't bothered me particularly for a long time now except occasionally wistfulness.  I have done things to adapt.  I can bike on flat or nearly flat ground.  I can swim.  I can walk.  I can kayak.  At times, I have been wheelchair bound and unable to do any of those things- I was able to enjoy going to the botanical garden in a wheelchair, going to museums in wheelchairs, going to concerts, etc, etc.  I have had periods where I can't leave the house for long periods.  I have my friends on facebook and my friends here.  I have books, shows to watch, and pets and birds to watch.  I used to think I wouldn't want to live with mental decline but due to a concussion, I even have had experience with that and I still enjoyed life and learned to adjust.  So I want to now live for a very long time but that doesn't mean I would necessarily do something like chemo and other cancer treatments with very little hope.

• Like 3

Depends very much on my health. If I am healthy and active, 90+ would be great--I would love to be around for great-grandchildren.

If my health deteriorates badly though I don't want to linger. I like Rosie's goal--live long enough to help my children with their own children.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

My paternal grandma lived to be 99 and was active & mentally sharp up until pretty much the very end of her life. At 95 she was down on the floor chasing toddlers in an "I'm going to get you game". That is what I hope for.

My maternal grandma had mini-strokes that caused vascular dementia. Her brain was gone by her mid-80's, though she lived to be almost 90.

I'll take what the Lord gives me. I enjoy life - participating and watching others. I'd love to be playing tennis up until the day I die at a ripe old age, but I'd be fine with cheering on friends and family and strangers on the courts if I can no longer chase after the fuzzy, yellow balls myself. 

Sometimes I think.....my life is half over.  I am in my mid-40s so I do the math, and realize that it may be wishful thinking on my part. My father's family generally live until the upper 90s, We lost my maternal grandmother in her late 80s.

With my chronic stress and less active lifestyle (back issue), I wonder if I will have a shorter lifespan  than my genetic familial average. Will our environment do us all in at younger ages in the future?  Or will improvements in science/health care, make our lifespan longer? 

Barring something tragic....what age do you anticipate living to see? 

Wow is this a sore subject.  Well, before this past year, I would have said 90+.  I have several *very* old relatives.  My great grandmother was 103.  My grandfather is currently 92ish.  And I am the picture of health, you know, except the brain stuff. :P :(

"Who of you by worrying can add a day to your lives?" ;)

• Like 1

We thought that we had the good genes. But now, in their 80s, my mom and her siblings are exhibiting mental decline and dementia. My mom's dad died in his early 60s of heart disease, and I think most of that line didn't live past early 70s. Now we live in a day when all those heart problems are easily cared for, so the mental thing is an unhappy surprise.

• Like 1

I have no idea what to expect based on family history.

My maternal grandmother is in her late 80s and still living.

My paternal grandmother died at 31 of cancer.  :(

My great-grandmothers lived to 70, 64, 48, and 34.

I have autoimmune issues and take more medication than I would like to.  I would like to live to see my grandchildren grow up.

Realisticly - I'm so confused...

My mother died at 52. My siblings that are 10-13 years older than me are in absolutely horrible awful health, deaths door kind of bad health for many years now. It wouldn't surprise me to get a call on any given day, that they have died. My dad however had his first of what would be FOUR triple bypass heart surgeries when he was 42 and that old fart is probably going to make it to 80. We are going with the theory that if the good die young, he is will be 100 before he dies. His aortic valve needs replaced and is at iirc 20% and yet still he will drive from state to state nonstop and mow his own yard. So all of that is very sobering to think about how that affects my near future as a woman in her mid forties.

However, once I was about 14ish, I have removed myself from many of the toxic factors that contribute to lower life expectations and have probably factored majorly in my extended family's health problems. And done some things that happens to benefit my health. Breaatfeeding many babies and not using birth control greatly lowers my odds of many common female health problems. And under the category of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, women with many children tend to have longer lives.😄

But dh is type 1 diabetic and I think their life expectation is currently estimated at 65-70. That doesn't seem anywhere near long enough when we are 44. 😔

Realisticly? Idk. If I live another 50 years, my baby will be 50 and my oldest will be 72. I'd like to see my children as settled adults and maybe see some great grandchildren too. And there's plenty for me to do to keep busy until then too. I'd like to maintainnthe health to enjoy it. My dream is to be able to enjoy it with Dh next to me. Currently his health is great, but of course he has a disease and there's only so much one can manage and control about that.

I honestly don't care about how long, although I'd like to see my children grow up to get married and become a grandmother.  But I mostly care about quality of life.  I hope and pray I do not get any advanced form of dementia/Alzheimer's or become confined to a wheelchair or, worse, a hospital bed.  Housebound, OK, as long as I can still read and hold a grandbaby on my lap and recognize all my loved ones up until the day I die.  :)

• Like 2

My parents are both still alive and I'm not sure if I should still be saying "early 80s" or if they are more like "early mid eighties" now.

I expect both of them to make it to 90 and Mom to probably make it to 100-110 based on our genetic background and the longevity of their parents and grandparents.

Zip code (dog whistle for socioeconomic caste) is a greater factor in longevity than genetics, but I still hope my good genes will help and that I'll be able to raise my youngest child to adulthood and put sixty candles on my cake.

Edited by Guest

I don't know. I think my answer would largely depend on the life I'm living and who I am surrounded by. My grandmother lived past 100. Some of us still lived near her and she had family that would visit (it helps that some of my family worked for airlines so got great flying privileges). I thought how wonderful that was she got to see so many family members enter the family. She got to see great grandchildren.

If I'm like the women in my family I'll live a long time.  However, there is the one grandma from dad's side I favor more that died in her late 60's.  I think I've got a handle on my thyroid issues and while this grandma had problems, they weren't ever dealt with.  So with the mom side of the family living forever....I'm hoping for 80.  

Which means at 44 I'm halfway through life.  It's depressing at times.  I go back and forth about whether I've wasted years being at home so long with my kids. Some days I know it was the right thing.  Other days I think about all the time spent doing nothing.  I know people would love to be in my position of not working outside the home, but it's depressing a lot of the time how lonely it can be.  

I don't know I will work after my kids are gone or not.  I have some health issues....overweight, bad shoulder.  So it would have to be a desk job, but gosh, just thinking about working a desk job again makes me want to run away!  Dh and I won't need my income if the kids just graduate and go live their lives ;-)  I'm torn. 

But yes, it's depressing to think I'm halfway through my life.  I'm hopeful for the second half though...ready for more adventures and to get out of my home.  

My 23andMe (Promethease) analysis said I have all the longevity genes but also almost all the diabetes/heart disease genes and do best on a low-fat diet.  So I figure if I eat mostly low-glycemic vegetarian and keep my blood sugar under control I'll live a long life, probably past 100 given about half my family.  But the other half, the half that lived hard, died young.  If I start eating tons of junk I'll die in my 50's.

I just passed a huge milestone birthday-- 60.

It's a huge milestone because very few people in my mom's family lived to be 60. My mom died at 55 of breast cancer. :( Her dad and brother at 58 each.

My dad died at 47 of a heart attack.

My goal for years has been to live into my 60s. WooHoo! I did it!

Now I'm revising my goal upwards....newer breast cancer treatments mean I have lived longer after diagnosis than my mom did.

My little grandgirl is 7.....I'd love to live long and healthy enough to dance at her wedding....so 20 more years give or take.

• Like 3