Menu

Childrens books you can't stand 😉

busymama7

Yeah, I loved Go, Dog, Go and Are You My Mother when I was a wee kid.  I can remember having a lot of fun looking at the pictures and imagining more.  I could see why they might not go over so well with a person who first read them as an adult or older kid.  :)

NO I LOVE GO DOG GO!!!!! How can you hate it? How? *sniff*

(Sorry, got a little carried away there. There's room for all sorts. It'd be a strange world if we all agreed.)

"Hello!"

"Hello!"

"Do you like my hat?"

"I do not"

"Good-by"

"Good-by"

+

+

"Hello again."

"Hello."

"Do you like....."

etc, etc, etc

Makes me want to pull my hair out  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And I have a kiddo who LOVES all things Dr Seuss so I have no choice but to read it  :crying:

Edited by PuddleJumper1

I also dislike all the little side things on the Magic Schoolbus books.

Oh, and I can't stand The Giver and refuse to make my kids read it. I don't care how thought provoking or anything it is. The one scene with the "release" makes me feel physically ill. (And that was before we lost our baby. Now I'm extra sensitive and definitely won't put that in front of my kids.)

• Like 2

"Hello!"

"Hello!"

"Do you like my hat?"

"I do not"

"Good-by"

"Good-by"

+

+

"Hello again."

"Hello."

"Do you like....."

etc, etc, etc

Makes me want to pull my hair out  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And I have a kiddo who LOVES all things Dr Seuss so I have no choice but to read it  :crying:

Ah, I see your problem. Well, your two problems.

First, Go, Dog, Go is not Seuss. It's P. D. Eastman.

Secondly, I had an ironclad rule which I stand by: I don't read easy readers aloud. Period. Those are for the early reader to read to herself. (I read them to me, though, and giggle!)

• Like 2

I love the grouchy ladybug! I do all the voices. The lessons include telling time, being polite, and not being a bully.

I hate Little Critter books! The snarky mouse...

Richard Scarry books bore me to death. Lift the flap always ends in trauma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junie B. Jones books. I refused to let DD read them when she was little. Those were the only books I refused her.

I detest those. I really hate the awful spelling and grammar just as we're trying to teach kids to read and write correctly. And she's a brat. DS liked them, but I strongly suggested he read something else and not bring any more home from the school library (before we started homeschooling). The last one he read was an audiobook DH downloaded for him to listen to while having his first cavity filled. We were going all out to make our needle-phobic kid as comfortable as possible.

• Like 3

You should give up whatever makes you special or else people will be jealous and no one will be your friend.

This, so much. Dd's preschool teacher read it when parents were in class one day, and I was so appalled while everyone else thought it was so sweet. Ugh.

• Like 1

I love The Pokey Little Puppy.  My kids don't love it as much as I do.  When I was little, I had a cassette tape that went with it, and I listened to it so much that I can't read the book any way other than the way I hear it in my head. 

I do NOT read aloud at bedtime.  Pretty much never.  :leaving: 

• Like 1

On the topic of Love You Forever, I've discovered there are two types of picture book readers.

The first type LOVES Love You Forever, and really can't stand the rest of Munsch's works.

The other sort may like Munsch or love him, but thinks of Love You Forever as gross and creepy.

The man has a sort of over-the-top writing style, and one way or another, it didn't hit the right notes in that one book. But those who love it, wow!

As always, an "other" category is required. ;)  I LOVE some of Munsch's books, such as "Angela's Airplane" (for button pushers everywhere :laugh: ) and "Paperbag Princess," and others are not as appealing. I think overall, I enjoyed the experience of reading many of them with my children.

There are a lot of children's books that are in that category for me - my kids loved them, or one kid loved a story - and I enjoyed their excitement ("Pete's a Pizza" became less fun for me after the thousandth time, but ds still loved it as much every single time). 

• Like 2

I love The Pokey Little Puppy.  My kids don't love it as much as I do.  When I was little, I had a cassette tape that went with it, and I listened to it so much that I can't read the book any way other than the way I hear it in my head. 

This made me smile.  I had the Pokey Little Puppy... with a record.  ;)

• Like 4

As always, an "other" category is required. ;)  I LOVE some of Munsch's books, such as "Angela's Airplane" (for button pushers everywhere :laugh: ) and "Paperbag Princess," and others are not as appealing....

Ahhh, Paperbag Princess.  My eldest *adored* that book.   :001_wub:

• Like 1

I had the cassette, too. With the song, right? I can't read that book without hearing the song in my head!

• Like 1

The Fairy books, that's not the real name but there are about a million of them and my daughter loves them.

My husband called them the "Noun the Adjective Fairy" books. I swear I paid for the library addition between those and the Magic Tree House and similar series. DD brought home a stack each week.And inevitably seemed to lose one somewhere, only to have it turn up months later, having accrued a ton of fines.

• Like 3

and

for similar reasons -- normalizing and glorifying what IMNSHO are quite distorted and toxic forms of "love."

Also, for different reasons, all Richard Scary and all Thomas the Tank Engine books. Because, they do not make one lick of sense, not a one of them. My mother used to pay me a quarter to read Richard Scary to my much-younger brother who adored them well past her considerable patience; I used to skip whole handfuls of pages and he couldn't tell the difference. Then I grew up and had kids of my own and lo! Thomas the Tank Engine, same dang thing. Nope, they disappeared quickly from my house...

The cartoony Thomas books were awful. But the original stories by Rev. Audry? Wonderful.

On the others, ITA.

The Fairy books, that's not the real name but there are about a million of them and my daughter loves them.

I think I know the ones you mean. I always called them "those awful fairy books". Luckily, my DD finally realized they weren't any good, but oh I dreaded having her read those aloud to me or buddy read them with her.

Hattie the Bad. Because all stories should end with children thinking that behaving nicely is boring and we should reveal our underpants to the world during a talent show. I despise this book. 

This was one of the first books my son ever pulled from the library back when he was 2 or 3 and refused to release, back when I was stupid and didn't know to pre-read library books before saying "okay". The best part- a little second grader trying to be nice to him read it aloud to him at the library and he thought it was the greatest thing ever. And then we brought the book home and I read it and learned a very valuable lesson about not assuming all books in the kids' section are good books! 

Our librarian has a secret mission to fill the juvenile section with stories of obnoxious brats, with no moral tale or redeeming value at the end. I think it's how she gets back at the parents. I now reserve everything online. 

I also don't get the Pigeon books by Mo Willems. Kids think they're hysterical. I've watched children literally roll on the floor reading these at the library. I just don't get them. 

ETA: Also adding any books with Disney in the title.  :thumbdown:

Edited by texasmom33

Anything by Robert Munsch ! The Dr. Suess ABC book. Some really popular countinbnor abc book with sounds in the name thst I can't remember (I think there are 2 books... one for letters, one for numbers). Lots of other ones but those top the list.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Rainbow Magic? I actually have a great fondness for those books. :) 

Yes, they're very simplistic, and yes, it's basically the same plot done (literally) over a hundred times. However, they are also relentlessly cheerful and great for sensitive early readers who love fantasy but hate anything scary. I'm sure they are part of the reason my daughter is now a voracious reader. 

I generally like Dr Seuss, but hate Horton Hears a Who.  The message that we live on a speck of dust, floating through space, and our lives are meaningless seems about like the worst thing to teach a small child.  And that is the lesson they will learn if you happen to read it within a week of teaching them anything about space or the solar system.  Don't particularly care for The Lorax either. 

Although not a book for young children, I feel similarly about Great Expectations. More like, "Don't even bother trying to improve your life, because no matter the fantastic luck you have and/or generosity you receive, you can never, ever, end up better off.  You'll just be disappointed."  I was not the surprised as a teen when the teacher who assigned it ended up taking a leave of absence for depression before I graduated.  Anyone fixated on that book must be depressed, and I don't know why it's considered good for high school students.

• Like 1

Amelia Bedelia and Bearenstein Bears. Fancy Nancy. And the f***ing Henry and Mudge book about Mother's Day.

Whats uo with the Berenstain Bears? I adored them as a kid and my kids adore them. Reading them now sometimes annoys me terribly. My dh is always making snide remarks about Mama Bear being a nagging hateful so and so and I happen to agree. The way they portray Papa is kind of ick too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hated all of the Scaredy Squirrel books, and the ones about the lazy cat by the same author.  I could see the appeal but they were really hard to read out loud.

and

for similar reasons -- normalizing and glorifying what IMNSHO are quite distorted and toxic forms of "love."

Also, for different reasons, all Richard Scary and all Thomas the Tank Engine books.  Because, they do not make one lick of sense, not a one of them.  My mother used to pay me a quarter to read Richard Scary to my much-younger brother who adored them well past her considerable patience; I used to skip whole handfuls of pages and he couldn't tell the difference.  Then I grew up and had kids of my own and lo! Thomas the Tank Engine, same dang thing.  Nope, they disappeared quickly from my house...

A lot of people see The Giving Tree that way - Silverstein however didn't see it as doing either of those things, it was intended as a portrait of a bad relationship.

• Like 1

I had the philosophy mentioned above that easy readers are for the kids to read.  That also goes for early chapter books.  I tried reading a Magic Treehouse as a read-aloud once, but I just couldn't do it.  I didn't even want my kids reading them aloud.  Just no.  :p  But they are fine for the kids to read themselves.

So ... I see Berenstein Bears mentioned above.  I really liked the Berenstein Bears as a kid.  I might have hated them as an adult, I don't know.

And Junie B Jones - my kids liked them, so whatever.  They aren't great literature, but I can understand why kids like them.  They don't bug me.  If I had to read them myself, I definitely would hate them.   :p  Oh, and same with Captain Underpants.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

I cannot stand Junie B books. I made the mistake of trying to read one of them once and I could not continue. She was a mean spirited child and the grammar was really bad even for a first grader. I also did not like a Giving Tree or I Love You Forever. I do not like Pinkalicious, JellyBeans or those Magic Animal or Rainbow Magic Fairies books.

Magic Treehouse serves a very limited purpose of showing an early reader who is gaining more skills and becoming more fluent that they can tackle a chapter book but the sentences structure and language is very poor so it is not a read aloud. I do typically leave easy reader books to early readers and I include chapter books written at a lower level that are fluff in that catagory so I will not read Rainbow Magic Faries aloud.

I really liked a Poky Little Puppy as a child. It was not as good reading it aloud but I do not put it in the cannot stand category either although it could have gotten close when it was requested a little too often in a row. That did not last too long fortunately. I do not like most Dr. Seuss books very much but I do like the Lorax.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

Dr Seuss's Birthday Bird book - Happy Birthday to You - it must be about 10,000 words and 150 pages long.  Longest picture book EVER.  How many times can you say Birthday in one book?

We have this awesome puzzle book from Usborne which I hide when I have a child that is old enough to remove the puzzle pieces, but not old enough to put them back.  Yeah, what I want to do is do 5 puzzles WHILE reading a book.  Great fun.  The kids get them back later.

LOVE Margaret Wise Brown - always something surprising yet perfect.  And while I don't like reading aloud the Richard Scarry books without a plot, the ones with a story are very fun.   The Great Steamboat Mystery, for instance.

• Like 1

re intent of The Giving Tree

A lot of people see The Giving Tree that way - Silverstein however didn't see it as doing either of those things, it was intended as a portrait of a bad relationship.

Hmmm.  Well, if that really the case, going for "And the tree was happy" as the final line of the book was.... ill-advised.   :lol:

The man is a poet; he attends to words; given that choice as the ending it is not surprising that many readers see it as a portrait of pure self-emptying and sacrificial love.  Which in turn is pretty culturally validated in our society, KWIM?

I don't know how I forgot about the Berenstain Bears.  I don't think we ever bought any but a lot came home from the library, till I realized that the books promoted the stereotype of the doofus dad and wise mom in every story (or at least the ones I read).  Maybe the dad was also mean in some?  Don't remember. But I told my kids they weren't allowed in the house anymore and explained why. 

We aren't big Disney fans here. But we received a valuable (unintended) lesson from them.  I bought my daughter a storybook from Costco once. It had short, insipid versions of the fairy tale stories.  A few months later, we saw a "new" storybook in Costco, and my daughter wanted it.  We flipped through the book together and she could see they were all the same stories, just repackaged to seem like a new book.  She was so angry, and that was the end of Disney books for her.  

re intent of The Giving Tree

Hmmm.  Well, if that really the case, going for "And the tree was happy" as the final line of the book was.... ill-advised.   :lol:

The man is a poet; he attends to words; given that choice as the ending it is not surprising that many readers see it as a portrait of pure self-emptying and sacrificial love.  Which in turn is pretty culturally validated in our society, KWIM?

Te tree thought he was happy.  S.S. modeled it on his observations of women who partner up with men who are just takers, and think if they just keep giving that will fulfill them somehow.  I think by the end it seems like the tree is finding the whole thing less fulfilling, but perhaps he has nothing else, now.

You are right he doesn't say that is a bad thing - he leaves the readers to come to their own conclusions. 

I guess it isn't odd that people have different views.  If you think if it as being a marriage or friendship, it seems clearly awful.  If you think of it as a sort of parental relationship, or even a relationship with God, it might feel a little different.  And I suppose it may depend on whether you see yourself as the tree, or the boy, too.

• Like 2

I also dislike The Giving Tree, Love You Forever, and Junie B Jones.

I'll add The Butter Battle Book and Oh The Places You'll Go to the list of despised Dr Seuss books for me.  I know lots of people love OTPYG but it always sounded so discouraging and defeatist to me.