Menu

How many sets of pajamas do your kids have?

Aura

Just curious. I saw this pin on Pinterest (pic at bottom of post) for a minimalist children's wardrobe. My kids have 2 sets of pajamas (one for cold weather, one for warm weather), and mostly they wear only one...when they're not sleeping in their clothes. What do you do at your place?

191053af13761b51fc387c09a8bc9f85.jpg

5 sets of pajamas!? Hmmm...not here. Mine have about 3 pairs and tend to mismatch and sleep in large t-shirts and such. I just don't find pjs to be a high priority. I was clothes a few times a week so 3 seems adequate to me. I would be fine with 2.

• Like 1

We have 5 sets for each kid (because boys' tshirts & boxers come in packages of 5). They re-wear Thursday night's pjs on Friday (Thursday is when their laundry gets washed) and Tuesday night's pjs on Wednesday night. We have warm weather and cold weather sets.

• Like 2

I'm the outlier I guess...I'd say seven? Give or take? At least 5, minimum. My kids tend to spend half the morning in their PJ's, so they get dirty/sweaty/breakfast spilled on them, etc so rarely can wear them twice. Daytime clothes are almost always filthy by the end of the day, so I don't want them sleeping in them. And at bedtime I'm fried and don't want to be scrambling to find them something to wear, so plenty of pajamas is a thing of mine. 

My husband, when he helps put laundry away, often asks if they own anything other than pajamas, as that drawer is always the most full :)

• Like 5

Not including lounge-type clothes, just regular pj's--five sets. IDK, there's certainly nothing wrong with wearing pj's more than once and we do sometimes, but there is just something satisfying to me about fresh, clean pajamas after a bath.  :)

My 3 year old has 8-10 I think. Not counting the footie pajamas I just put up hoping she'll still be able to fit into them in the fall. Laundry isn't terribly organized around here but if it was, I'd want a week's worth. When you say you only have one for warm weather, do they just wear the same ones night after night? My daughter wears hers once, then they go in the laundry. Am I weird?

My older kids sleep in t-shirts and panties or bra and panties. They wear very little to bed, but they hang around the house in pajama pants and they have several pairs. Not sure how many.

I'm the outlier I guess...I'd say seven? Give or take? At least 5, minimum. My kids tend to spend half the morning in their PJ's, so they get dirty/sweaty/breakfast spilled on them, etc so rarely can wear them twice. Daytime clothes are almost always filthy by the end of the day, so I don't want them sleeping in them. And at bedtime I'm fried and don't want to be scrambling to find them something to wear, so plenty of pajamas is a thing of mine. 

My husband, when he helps put laundry away, often asks if they own anything other than pajamas, as that drawer is always the most full :)

I'm glad I'm not alone! My kids have always worn different clothes to bed. My 3 year old goes through two outfits most days. Any time clothes get wet, she wants to change them, but often they genuinely need to be changed after getting dirty. She wears frilly dresses and tutu skirts, but she runs and climbs and digs in the dirt. :) I have a thing about putting a dirty kid to bed, so she gets a bath most nights, and clean pajamas before bed. She eats breakfast in her pajamas, so milk is often spilled on them. I really can't see wearing them more than once.

• Like 1

What is this thing called 'pajamas'?

Of those still at home - oldest son sleeps in his jeans. Weird, I agree. But whatever.

Next one (daughter) wears t-shirts.  Youngest ( son) sleeps in a pair of athletic shorts/ no shirt.  

I don't think anyone has had actual pajamas for years.

• Like 1

1 each maybe. Generally, they just sleep in whatever they wore that day or their underwear. In the winter they have one pair of really warm PJs for extra cold nights. This winter was so mild they never wore them.

We just wear our day clothes if they're comfortable and not dirty. We do have pjs but only wear them in cold weather (one or two pairs).

I'll be an outlier with you. Mine all have around 25 sets each. 15 are light ones and maybe 10 are the flannel type. Not because it gets that cold here, but because we like to pretend winter happens because the styles are so cute. :) My son would live in pajamas if I let him. He only wears the pants now and just uses a white undershirt as his top, so I have cleaning out the unused tops on my declutter list. But yeah. Five sets? Not for me. But we aren't minimalists. I don't even pretend to attempt it.

Depends. My youngest needs more because he tends to get the grubby and my dd has more because she gets hand me downs. My oldest has three. That leaves enough that they can be worn two days each and have one spare if I was twice a week. The spare is important in case washing gets delayed or doesn't dry.

When mine were little they had a couple of sets of pajamas each. We never had a need for more than that. After they were around 3 or 4 they started wearing comfy elastic waist shorts and older tees as jammies. We never got into pajama pants or anything like that. There are four of us home right now and the only thing in this house that could specifically be called jammies is one bathrobe (that I use when we're in the RV). Mostly we're into multi-purpose clothing. ;) As a born minimalist I don't understand any logic in the original graphic. Seven outfits for daily wear and five sets of pajamas? That makes zero sense from a minimalist standpoint.

The boys have none. They sleep in Tshirts and boxers. 

My daughter has random things she wears to bed. I'm not sure how many. Mostly it's Tshirts and some kind of bottom. The bottoms are usually pajamas that are hand-me-downs from a friend. We have a friend that gives her a ton of clothes and dd goes through and takes what she likes. She's picky so it's kind of random what she ends up with. 

I'll be an outlier with you. Mine all have around 25 sets each. 15 are light ones and maybe 10 are the flannel type. Not because it gets that cold here, but because we like to pretend winter happens because the styles are so cute. :) My son would live in pajamas if I let him. He only wears the pants now and just uses a white undershirt as his top, so I have cleaning out the unused tops on my declutter list. But yeah. Five sets? Not for me. But we aren't minimalists. I don't even pretend to attempt it.

We rarely have sets of PJs, but yeah, each kid has a large drawer filled with various weight PJ parts.

That is normally my ace in the hole come bedtime.  Yes, child, you must go to bed, but come choose your jammies - Batman, Star Wars, Ninja Turtles!!!  I never buy day time clothes with characters on them, but I always buy "cool" jammies when I find them at the thrift store.

Wendy

• Like 3

I'm lucky if I can locate ONE actual, matching set for either of my little boys.  They tend to sleep in their underwear year-round.

I would hate trying to cope with the prescribed wardrobe for them, otherwise.  A normal day might have them going out to play in the woods after breakfast, putting on reasonably decent clothes for an activity after lunch, then layering clothes for evening practice, where the temperature will likely drop at least 15* between start and finish. That could be more than half the shirts in one day!

Thank goodness they're practically naked for bed!

None. Girls sept in their clothes. Mostly sweat pants and sweat shirts up north. Running shorts and t shirts down south. Boys in their underwear. Faster and simpler morning routine.

I tried to get them to wear pj's with no success.

• Like 1

My girls have at least 7-8 night gowns/PJ sets per warm/cold weather season. We home school in our jammies so they are in them all morning. Because of this they don't typically re-wear the same ones prior to a washing. They like the cutesy princess and unicorn jammies.

None. My guys are heaters. They sleep in shorts and nothing else. Hate pj's even when they were little, so we eventually just bought them a few pair of sports shorts and that was that.

Dd preferred camisole and lounge or exercise pants, shorts in the summer. Even as a married woman I do not think she owns a pair of traditional pj's.

• Like 1

4 sets of "casual" clothes (errands, grandparents visits, etc.)

4 sets of "play" clothes (park, home, can get as muddy as they like)

4 sets of pajamas (I tried to get it to 2 pants & 4 shirts, but they just throw their stuff int he hamper, so oh well)

2 sets of church clothes

Shoes are nuts though: good boots, rain boots, casual shoes, church shoes, play shoes, slippers for each kid.

I did have 7 of everything, until DH decided he really didn't want us shopping secondhand (a perfectly fine trade off for all the other shenanigans I get away with around here).  So we reduced to offset the cost, but I've ended up buying brands that are not the cheapest, but seem to hold up better to abuse; so much for offsetting costs.   :001_rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the idea of "buy the minimum and wash a lot" came from someone on the fora here, by the way.  I settled on two clothing wash days per week; that's "a lot" for me.  :D

Dd has about 4 pairs of pj pants, a couple nightgowns, 2 or 3 pj sets, and some old t-shirts that she wears to bed.   She loves wearing pj's and will often wear them all day if we aren't going out.  The same ones work year round.

Ds has 2 or 3 pairs of pj pants and a couple super-old t-shirts that he can only wear to bed or around the house.  He's more likely to sleep in his clothes.

Yes, I think babies and toddlers fall into a different category with regards to wardrobe needs, too. But I thought 5 was a bit much for a minimalist wardrobe. Interesting that some of y'all have so many pj's! I think I would drown in the laundry.  :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, I think babies and toddlers fall into a different category with regards to wardrobe needs, too. But I thought 5 was a bit much for a minimalist wardrobe. Interesting that some of y'all have so many pj's! I think I would drown in the laundry. :lol:

It's not any more laundry. I still wash a certain number of times a week. It's just more selection! :) We like variety around here and they can only wear cute PJs for so long, so we indulge. I definitely don't let how many clothes we have determine when I do laundry.

My 3yo has 2 winter and 2 summer. 2yo has at least 5 fleecy pairs from Christmas gifts and no summer. Infant has 3 footed pajamas. I think 2 winter and 2 summer is good. Our house actually varies a lot in temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not any more laundry. I still wash a certain number of times a week. It's just more selection! :) We like variety around here and they can only wear cute PJs for so long, so we indulge. I definitely don't let how many clothes we have determine when I do laundry.

I thought this at first, but then I realized that when they only have a couple pairs they wear each one several times, and when they have lots, they wear different ones almost every night.

Until DS was ~5, I had him wear fresh PJs every night. Usually there was breakfast spilled on the shirt at least. He had probably 6 sets each for summer and winter.

Now he wears the same ones all week, washing with sheets. So he has a couple of t-shirts and knit shorts to wear in summer and a couple of sets of proper pajamas for winter.

Edited by whitehawk

None and haven't owned any for decades.  If we opt to wear something to bed (depends upon weather and who's at the house or where we are) then underwear, shorts/sweats, & t-shirts work just fine.  These are the same shorts/sweats & t-shirts that could be worn elsewhere at other times.  We choose clean ones (vs those we've recently worn in the barn) if sleeping in them.  The same set can be used for the whole week between laundry loads though - well - not underwear I guess.  That would just be what had been worn that day if not sweaty or what will be worn the next if clean.

I've often wondered why folks need/want designated sleepwear...  it's just another one of those YMMV deals.