Menu

religion poll

Your current religious affiliation  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Would you say, speaking about yourself...

• I was raised religious and still consider myself an active participant in that same faith.
    • I was raised religious and have changed to a different religious affiliation.
    • I was raised religious and would now say I'm not religious.
    • I was raised non-religious and remain that way.
    • I was raised non-religious and have joined a faith that is part of my family's heritage (e.g., like the one Grandma went to).
    • I was raised non-religious but have joined a faith that is unfamiliar to my family.
    • It's more complicated than that (e.g., left my family's church, tried something else for a few years and went back to it).
    • Other.

I was raised religious (liberal social justice style Baptist). I have been an active participant in a number of faiths and denominations (particularly Quakers and UU's), including the one I grew up in. I'm not not religious, but I'm also not currently active in any denomination.

• Like 1

I put that it's more complicated than that. I was forced to go to a horrible, fire and brimstone church as a kid that my parents didn't actually attend because they thought I needed religion. I happily jettisoned Christianity as a teen, and my beliefs have evolved over the years. Now I'm mostly a secular Buddhist.

• Like 1

I voted complicated as well: forced to attend church by a non-religious family.  After wandering around for a while after I turned 18, I'm happy with where I ended up (in the Eastern Orthodox church).

I voted complicated because my parents are religious/have a faith but for various reasons didn't really raise me in it (other than celebrating holidays). I am currently (and have been basically throughout adulthood) affiliated with something very different.

Edited by whitehawk

I chose "raised religious, changed to a different religious association." I was raised Christian and am still Christian, so it may seem to some that I have stayed in my family's faith, but to me there is a vast difference in the theology in which I was raised and the one I now believe.

• Like 7

More complicated than that. Raised by Chrisitans of a fundamentalist stripe. Haven't been that in adulthood - none of my sibs are either. I identify as Christian for practical purposes, but let's say my beliefs are very liberal and very different from my upbringing. None of my siblings appear to embrace the faith, certainly nowhere near to my parents' level.

I was raised as a "cultural" Catholic. I was sent to Catholic schools but my family weren't what would be considered practicing Catholics. I left the church at 16 and only returned when I started dating my husband, around age 32. I'm now a practicing Catholic who struggles with my faith.

• Like 2

I voted "raised religious but changed to a different religious affiliation" . It is complicated since I still identify with the Christian tradition.  I was raised Methodist and then Baptist/Charismatic as a teen.  Now I'm Eastern Orthodox.  While they're both Christian those two traditions are vastly different.  It may not be what you were wanting to know though. 

• Like 3

It's slightly complicated. I was raised Protestant, though in a rather half-hearted way. I think we mainly went to church to keep Grandma happy. I concluded there was nothing to it and was an atheist from my mid-teens to my mid-20s. Then I actually started reading philosophy and realized there was more to religion than "the bible tells me so." I started to believe in God, though not necessarily Christianity. I had a supernatural experience that cannot be explained by scientific or psychological means, but it had nothing to do with religion/religious trappings. I realized there was so much more to the world than I had thought, and that my scientific/rational worldview had given me blinders. I read and read and read and found myself in the Orthodox Church.

• Like 1

Went to a Lutheran church till about age 5 with my grandparents. Said church was the reason my parents didn't like church. Started going to a non denominational church about 12 years ago and realized not all churches were as judgemental as the one my grandparents attended.

It was strange to me when we were checking out our current church. Once a month they have a get to know our church thing, and we went to it. They were trying to get a read of who was there that night. They asked how many grew up in church, and my then 13 year old raised her hand. It was a good feeling to know that her "growing up in church" was a good experience.

I was raised Lutheran though my parents weren't that involved - mostly my grandparents took me, and there were some periods we didn't go.  As a teen I became an agnostic - I felt I had no particular reason to have any particular religious or non-religious position.  I was quite into neopaganism and Buddhism at various times but in the end didn't embrace either.  I became an Anglican, though a pretty traditional sort of Anglican, when I was in university.

Just wondering.

Votes are not public. Obvs a non-scientific poll as WTMers may not represent the whole population.

I should hope not! The world would be crazy if we did.  :laugh:  It would be perfect in our minds, though, but translating that perfection to reality might not quite work.

• Like 4

Complicated.

Raised United Methodist but my mother was/is Catholic, so I got a bit of a mix.

Didn't convert but went to Catholic Church with ex.  Oldest dd was baptized Catholic, went to Catholic school for a few years, and did her First Communion.

Partially as a result of things that happened during and just after that marriage, I did a lot of questioning for a few years.  Agnostic, borderline atheist, somewhat theist.  

Now, I seem to fit Progressive Christian the most.  We attend a very liberal United Methodist Church which fits in with that pretty well.

• Like 1

I was raised not anything in particular.  My parents didn't go to church, but when my grandparents (strict Seventh-Day Adventists) came to visit, they brought me to Sabbath School and I asked if I could go.  My mom found the most liberal church in the area (Episcopal) and I went there for a couple of years.  I went to a Catholic high school, but that was for academic reasons (local high school stunk).

I now attend a UCC/UUA church.  Don't know how to answer the poll... it's not the religion of my parents or grandparents (other grandparents also didn't attend church), but it's  also not way off from what my parents are, which is some version of theist/deist but without any strict dogma or creed.  My brother is an atheist.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

I was raised in a non-religious home but went to Catholic school because my mom didn't want me bussed to a far away school because of desegregation. I remember being baptized the weekend before I received first communion. Although I had religious instruction, it wasn't enforced in the home. Even my sister, who was in public school, was not religious. So I didn't practice the faith.

• Like 1

I voted Other because Complicated didn't seem to fit.

Cradle Catholic (Irish and Italian roots), non-devout family (neither immediate nor extended family). We went to church on Sunday and some high holy days. I attended Catholic school from kindergarten until 4th grade when it was no longer affordable for my family. We left religion at church - there was really no religion practiced at home and it was rarely even referred to. Even bedtime prayers were hit and miss.

Started going to church regularly in my late twenties-early thirties. Dh had a bad experience with the Catholic church so I converted to United Methodist when we married (though his upbringing was similarly non-devout). We left church and religion completely when ds was around 8 (he's 19 now). None of us looked back, not even ds.

I explored some other religions before letting go, including the other Judeo based ones, various types of Paganism, Buddhism, and even some New Age beliefs. In the end I decided the supernatural is just not for me.

Currently I'm an atheist/secular humanist and am quite comfortable with and confident in my non-belief. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I dunno...I think the WTMers are way more awesomer than the population in general

Of course, but have you actually met any of them irl and tried to organize something together as a group?  There are a lot of independent people who like to do things their own way here. Isn't that partly why we homeschool?   :o

Complicated.

Raised in one church, drifted away, kept same values, went to another type of church for a while while still having the same beliefs from childhood which didn't agree with either church's doctrine and currently don't attend but still consider myself to be Christian. 

• Like 1

I was raised in a very religious Baptist household. Dh, the kids, and I became Catholic five years ago. Now, we're Episcopalian (friendlier to LGBT community) and don't see ourselves ever changing. All of my siblings are still strong Baptists though.

• Like 1

Of course, but have you actually met any of them irl and tried to organize something together as a group?  There are a lot of independent people who like to do things their own way here. Isn't that partly why we homeschool?   :o

oh well that's true of homeschoolers yes...like trying to herd cats

I have met a small number of them IRL.

• Like 2

Raised in a nonreligious home. Was baptized to keep Grandma happy I guess? Or more likely just because my parents thought it was the proper thing to do socially. We might have gone to Christmas mass a few times growing up. Otherwise zero talk of God, no prayers ever said, and religion was never discussed beyond as a social status thing, like "oh yeah, I went to Catholic elementary school. The nuns were mean." Lol

Now I'm a practicing Roman Catholic, as I was baptized but now actually catechized and we attend Mass and religion is a big part of our lives.

DH was raised Lutheran by his wonderful, devout family, was ordained a Lutheran pastor, then converted last year to the Catholic Church. He'd been drawn to Eastern Christian spirituality though in his long process of coming into the Catholic Church so he came in through the Byzantine Rite and all our kids except the oldest are confirmed Byzantine in his rite.

• Like 2

Not raised in church. Went on Easter (some years) to ethnic orthodox church. Mostly my parents didn't really care or have time for church and faith. I was taught people who read the bible and talk about Jesus are basically cult members. Definitely not normal.

Now I am one of those weirdos.

• Like 3

I was raised religious until I decided I didn't believe it anymore. So, basically, forced to church until I was old enough to make the decision to not go, at the age of 12 or 13. Maybe 14.

All of my siblings had left that church too. Eventually our parents did too, like 2 years after I quit; but they quit because they converted to a different Christian church. I eventually converted to that church as an adult.

Even if I were to quit going to this church, I would still consider myself spiritual, and not religious. 

Attended fire and brimstone type church until about 10, scared and scarred. Baptized and confirmed into husband's family's episcopal church. Now-just confused, not practicing. Not sure if I have a label:) still figuring that part out. The fire and brimstone part still scares me- afraid I'll choose wrong.

Grew up Christian in a communist country where that was not at all popular. Was very engaged as a youth; the Lutheran church was at the forefront of peace and environmental and social progressive movements.

Moved to the bible belt of the US and encountered medieval attitudes and insufferable proselytizing.

Became atheist.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

I voted "it's complicated."  I grew up in a very religious home.  But while I still believe the things I learned growing up very much and endeavor to teach my children those beliefs, I don't regularly attend church because I am both lazy and way too picky.  So while my beliefs are pretty similar to what I grew up with (at least in a lot of areas, especially the basic tenets of Christian faith and salvation), I didn't vote myself as actively participating, since I'm not a member of a church.

I chose "other". Raised "cultural Catholic-ish". Church attendance was hit or miss. Religion, prayer, etc. were not really discussed at home, except to be wary of uber-religious types, including those in our own church who were there every Sunday, but the first to stab people in the back on Monday morning. Attended Catholic jr. high school.

Drifted to "spiritual but not religious" in adulthood. Now, I'm not sure what I am - I can't deny "energy" or even "entity", personally, but I don't necessarily believe in any god or gods/goddesses. Especially not overarching/rule-making types, and I have a strong dislike of any and all organized religions that try to exert control on the masses using manipulative methods such as fear OR promise.

• Like 2

It's complicated. Went to Baptist church as a kid, not really raised religious as we never fit in and eventually quit going. Got active in the protestant church as an adult, yet watched some very terrible power issues come about in our church and it has soured organized religion for me. I'm probably in the camp of spiritual but not religious as well. I don't believe Christianity is right while everyone else is wrong. I'm probably more of a deist at this point. 

• Like 1

Was raised non-denominational Christian. Have stayed religious my whole adulthood, though we attended a more liturgical high church for a while. We are back at a Charismatic/non-denominational churxh, and we are happy there.

I was raised nondenominational Christian, but I never truly felt it. I didn't begin seriously questioning it until adulthood. After years of thought, study, meditation, life experience, etc I have settled at agnostic with atheistic leanings. I have/will never claim to "know" the truth, but I highly doubt the existence of a supreme being.

I have a strong distaste for organized religion of any kind.

• Like 1

I grew up in a very sweet, non-strict Lutheran church and married a very skeptical Catholic.  Together we explored various denominations within the Christian faith.  We've attended Methodist, Catholic, Lutheran, and Baptist (generally more liberal/accepting) churches, although in the last few years have been attending a non-denominational church that teaches a theology that seems to get to the very heart of Christ's message and makes sense.  I wish we had found it years ago.

I considered leaving the faith entirely at one point, but kept coming back to Christ's philosophy which eventually led me back to the faith.  I do have a natural aversion to the church institution nowadays because I think they've been off-track.  As I gradually shed layers of "religion" my faith has grown stronger.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

I was raised pretty non-religious. My parents took us long enough to receive First Holy Communion, then pretty much stopped. They did it to appease my (Catholic) grandmother.

I was, however, raised in an area that was very, very Southern Baptist. All of my friends were Baptist and the only churches around seemed to be Southern Baptist (there was one Catholic church and it was a bit of a drive). My parents allowed us to go on the "church vans" with friends. I remember being terrified of the services very early in life. It was just too far outside my comfort zone. Despite not being raised more than minimally Catholic, I've always felt pulled to more sedate, organized religion/faith.

I do identify as religious, as an adult. I married a practicing Catholic who was raised in a devoutly Catholic family. 

Edited by AimeeM

I voted "Other".  I was raised in a non-religious Catholic faith.  Became more religious in my teens, then married a young man who was raised in a very religious home and school, but had left that faith.  Within a couple years, we had both joined HIS faith (he returned, and I converted).  He walked away from me and the church a few years later, but I stayed for over 25 more years.  I left when the God I came to know no longer fit in my denomination's box.  

I was raised Catholic. My family went to church every week and I was forced to go every Sunday and to ccd. I did not like church or ccd. I stopped going to church after my confirmation when I was allowed to make my own decision. My parents were not particularly religious though at home and what they told me in adulthood confirmed they were not really devout Catholics. They do think that you need to believe in Jesus and God or you will not get into heaven. My grandparents and extended family were similar. They are Catholic through culture and believe you need to be in some Christian flavor and believe in Jesus and God. I do have one grandparent who was very devout though.

I was pretty much an agnostic from the get go as a child. I was very skeptical about it all. The thing that kept me from admitting I was atheist really young was the threat of hell if you did not believe in a God and how that was the most important thing. When I was 18 I had a long conversation with an atheist and realized that I was but I was just letting the fear keeping me from admitting it and I never looked back. I started going to UU after having kids but it is more a social justice club then a religion.

Edited by MistyMountain

I was raised atheist/non-religious. There is some small town, cultural Catholic history in my grandparents' day but no one really believed or observed - except one aunt.

I became a Christian 17 years ago. (eta - not Catholic)

Edited by LMD

my father was raised by a religious mother, and my parents attended presbyterian church until I was about five. it was a sunday morning practice only.  then they started going to a UU, which I utterly loathed. (it was very liberal/out-there even for a UU.  we visited two others, which were downright conservative in comparison.).  some nice people, but some . . shudder.  the place gave me the absolute creeps.

after my father's death, my mom stopped going.  we had little contact with his mother (who practiced her faith).

my maternal grandmother was by far the biggest religious influence on my childhood, and she was all about whichever televangelist was on.  (among others, jimmy and tammy faye - my eyes still water.) I refused to watch.  (so did my grandfather, so I wasn't hassled about not watching.)  I never even saw her actually reading a bible until after my grandfather's death.  never saw or heard her pray, or even talked about it - until after my grandfather's death.  she pushed her god of death, hell, fire, brimstone, and destruction and used religion as a weapon to manipulate us to do what she wanted. (until it no longer worked.)  she didn't actually go to church when I knew her - the people there were snooty  (direct quote from her).  I recall reading a sci-fi novel at her house, and her having a hissy fit (she had many) because it didn't meet her "worthy" standards.  (whatever those were.)

deep down, I believed God had to be loving and so I rejected her examples and teachings. (it was many years before I could fully resolve the dichotomy of my beliefs and the 'teachings' she'd rammed down my throat.  Now, I believe more strongly God is loving and kind.)  this was a big deal for me because it was in such opposition to what she'd taught.  at this point in my life, I can marvel I rejected her example and pushed onward.  I certainly understand why my mother wanted nothing to do with religion of any kind.  I visited many different churches, but was unsatisfied by all. 

I thought a lot about what I believed, and what made sense to me.  I attended a halloween party  (bobbing for apples, typical games, candy - re; NOT a religious activity) with an acquaintance at a LDS church - and as soon as I walked in the building  - I felt "I'm home".  I had *never* felt that spirit/sense of home anywhere else. not even at my house.  (or my great-aunt's house where I spent a lot of time as a younger child and felt safe.).  it had nothing to do with the people.  then I learned what they taught, and how much of what I had come to believe fit. it was several years before I joined the church - not until I felt solid in standing up to my grandmother as I knew she'd be angry.  (she was.)

a couple years later, dh and I met and married.  dh was raised in the church.  our beliefs are 24/7, and we've raised our children in it.  my adult children are all active members of their own choice.

• Like 1