Menu

Big sorrows here today

Ginevra

Took our cat, Thor, to the vet Thursday because he has not been acting himself. Got word today it is advanced kidney disease. His numbers are extremely high (I don't know all of the names). He is just seven years old. We are having some fluids and pain relieving meds administered tomorrow, but the bottom line is, we will have to say goodbye soon. My kids are heartbroken. My daughter is home from college on spring break, but goes back Sunday night. I hate the thought of her at college, wondering every day if he is going to live another day or not.

We just went through this scenario last year when our dog had cancer, but DD is especially attached to this cat. She picked him out when I initially thought we would choose a different kitten; she views him as more her pet than anyone else's, Although my 12yo is also heartbroken.

This just absolutely stinks. It wasn't on my radar as something we would face again soon, since the cats are so much younger than the dog was. We have Thor's sister, Luna, and it just seems so sad and wrong to have just one cat. I'm beside myself right now. I just wish I could fix this.

• Like 1

I am very sorry to hear about Thor's condition. We are pet owners/lovers and know what this is like. In 2016 we had to have our elderly German Shepherd put down, and then, astonishingly, our very young Rottweiler developed  a catastrophic problem and despite treatment, amputation of one leg, etc., died. He was less than 2 years old and he had become the dog who was inside the house more than the others, combined.   The only thing I can say/suggest, is that in 2 or 3 months, you consider getting another cat and giving it a loving home. Not easy, but I always hope to outlive my pets. 

I'm so sorry! My cat (avatar kitty) has advanced kidney disease too. I thought I was taking her to the vet to put her to sleep last April or May. She went from looking normal to terrible very quickly. The vet persuaded me to give her a chance, and she's still here. She has a pretty good quality of life; walks, talks, eats, potties, jumps, gets petted...

She gets daily fluid, some pills: an antacid, blood pressure meds, an appetite stimulant, and I add potassium, a phosphate binder, and probiotics to her food. It sounds like a lot but it takes less than 10min a day and she tolerates it well and it's not that expensive because everything lasts a long time. Her labs were terrible and they've improved somewhat, but the biggest improvement has been in her demeanor. She obviously feels better. In the first week or two I had to syringe feed her because she was so weak, but she recovered her appetite and strength quickly. 

I know every cat won't respond so well, but it may be worth a try.

• Like 4

I'm so sorry! My cat (avatar kitty) has advanced kidney disease too. I thought I was taking her to the vet to put her to sleep last April or May. She went from looking normal to terrible very quickly. The vet persuaded me to give her a chance, and she's still here. She has a pretty good quality of life; walks, talks, eats, potties, jumps, gets petted...

She gets daily fluid, some pills: an antacid, blood pressure meds, an appetite stimulant, and I add potassium, a phosphate binder, and probiotics to her food. It sounds like a lot but it takes less than 10min a day and she tolerates it well and it's not that expensive because everything lasts a long time. Her labs were terrible and they've improved somewhat, but the biggest improvement has been in her demeanor. She obviously feels better. In the first week or two I had to syringe feed her because she was so weak, but she recovered her appetite and strength quickly.

I know every cat won't respond so well, but it may be worth a try.

Do you do the fluids yourself sub-cutaneously?

He has right now an appetite stimulant and an antacid, and I'm supposed to be getting a couple more things tomorrow. But the fluids - I don't know. I am extremely averse to injecting anything. I'm phobic of needles and could not psychologically get over it when I needed injections myself; DH had to give them to me.

He seems better even now, just from the small amount of medication and fluids he has gotten. But I'm leery of going down a road that will be very expensive, but will ultimately only buy him some time.

I've done the sub-q fluids before, but I'm not needle-averse and I'm starting nursing school in a few months, so I don't mind dosing cats with whatever. Giving the fluids is very easy. Lift the skin behind the shoulder blades and put the needle in. Would your husband mind doing it instead? You usually don't have to do it every day, and I'm sure there are videos on YouTube​. I'm sorry - this is never easy.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I do the fluids myself. I had to find a different vet that would cooperate. It's way too expensive to do it at the vet! We get a prescription for a 6month fluid supply at Costco and it's not bad at all if you divide by 6. It's about $13 a month, I think. My kitty is patient and cooperative. I have a rolling clothes rack that I hook the fluids to and hold her in my lap in a chair. It takes 5-10min on average and she doesn't fight. It's our daily special time. I brush and pet her while I do it and she gets treats after. Could your DH or one of the kids do it? It's not so bad. You only have to put the needle in and hold it there. If you buy the good needles it's easier. 

I get needles and tubes from Cal Vet Supply. I buy a box of 100+ needles and it's not expensive, and I get the stuff to add to her food on Amazon. I don't think I've had to replace the potassium and phospate binder since I bought it, and the probiotics only once. I got a big bottle of generic antacid and just had to replace it last month. The other meds are about 10-15 each. One is filled every 3 months and the other is monthly. She only sees the vet every 6 months now, so our expenses really aren't bad.

I didn't intend to do this for her and always assumed we'd be a "no heroic measures" family but she improved so much after her first treatments. I felt that withdrawing treatment when she was feeling well and I knew what she would feel like without it wasn't something I could do. I'll do it as long as she's happy. If your kitty isn't so bad, you may only need to do fluids every other day or less. It won't keep her alive forever, but it will keep her comfortable and stable until she's not. When this no longer works, I'll have to put her down, but my kitty is almost 20. Yours is so young he may bounce back with a few weeks of fluids and then just meds, a change of food, and supplements.

• Like 3

Yes, it's sad.  :(    We are big pet lovers here.  Our lab passed away just a few months ago in Dec.  She was 13 y 10 w.  Our cat turns 10 this May and always assumed cats live to at least 15 or more yrs. 

7 is young.  I'm so sorry.  It does stink!

I do the fluids myself. I had to find a different vet that would cooperate. It's way too expensive to do it at the vet! We get a prescription for a 6month fluid supply at Costco and it's not bad at all if you divide by 6. It's about $13 a month, I think. My kitty is patient and cooperative. I have a rolling clothes rack that I hook the fluids to and hold her in my lap in a chair. It takes 5-10min on average and she doesn't fight. It's our daily special time. I brush and pet her while I do it and she gets treats after. Could your DH or one of the kids do it? It's not so bad. You only have to put the needle in and hold it there. If you buy the good needles it's easier.

I get needles and tubes from Cal Vet Supply. I buy a box of 100+ needles and it's not expensive, and I get the stuff to add to her food on Amazon. I don't think I've had to replace the potassium and phospate binder since I bought it, and the probiotics only once. I got a big bottle of generic antacid and just had to replace it last month. The other meds are about 10-15 each. One is filled every 3 months and the other is monthly. She only sees the vet every 6 months now, so our expenses really aren't bad.

I didn't intend to do this for her and always assumed we'd be a "no heroic measures" family but she improved so much after her first treatments. I felt that withdrawing treatment when she was feeling well and I knew what she would feel like without it wasn't something I could do. I'll do it as long as she's happy. If your kitty isn't so bad, you may only need to do fluids every other day or less. It won't keep her alive forever, but it will keep her comfortable and stable until she's not. When this no longer works, I'll have to put her down, but my kitty is almost 20. Yours is so young he may bounce back with a few weeks of fluids and then just meds, a change of food, and supplements.

Well, that does give me hope. My DH is not a big pet person, but he would do it if it would help avert his family's heartbreak for a while. Even if he could just get the needle in for me, I could sit with him while the fluids go in. We'll see what the vet says tomorrow. If I could keep him alive and comfortable for a few more months until my daughter finishes her year at school, it would at least be a little bit better. The suddenness of knowing we will lose him has been a terrible shock.

Thank you so much for that information. Maybe we could help him for a little while longer.

• Like 2

Losing pets is so hard. We put our well-loved doggie down last month. She had cancer and could no longer eat. My 12 year old was devastated. She loved that dog. She went with dh to the vet when it was time because she wanted to make sure her doggie was safe and comfortable when they put her to sleep. I am so proud of her, and so heartbroken for her. She still cries at night sometime. Sometimes I am so focused on helping her with her grief that I forget that I am still grieving too, and then it sneaks up on me. Our other dog is on antidepressants because she stopped eating after she lost her friend. Thankfully, they are helping. I mean, this stuff is hard.

I hope your kitty doesn't suffer too much. One thing that helped our kids a lot was pulling out all of our old pictures and videos of our dogs and snuggling together while we looked at them. Hugs to you and your family.

• Like 1

Took our cat, Thor, to the vet Thursday because he has not been acting himself. Got word today it is advanced kidney disease. His numbers are extremely high (I don't know all of the names). He is just seven years old. We are having some fluids and pain relieving meds administered tomorrow, but the bottom line is, we will have to say goodbye soon. My kids are heartbroken. My daughter is home from college on spring break, but goes back Sunday night. I hate the thought of her at college, wondering every day if he is going to live another day or not.

We just went through this scenario last year when our dog had cancer, but DD is especially attached to this cat. She picked him out when I initially thought we would choose a different kitten; she views him as more her pet than anyone else's, Although my 12yo is also heartbroken.

This just absolutely stinks. It wasn't on my radar as something we would face again soon, since the cats are so much younger than the dog was. We have Thor's sister, Luna, and it just seems so sad and wrong to have just one cat. I'm beside myself right now. I just wish I could fix this.

So sorry. As you may know I just went through this in November. It is so so difficult.

• Like 1

Do you do the fluids yourself sub-cutaneously?

He has right now an appetite stimulant and an antacid, and I'm supposed to be getting a couple more things tomorrow. But the fluids - I don't know. I am extremely averse to injecting anything. I'm phobic of needles and could not psychologically get over it when I needed injections myself; DH had to give them to me.

He seems better even now, just from the small amount of medication and fluids he has gotten. But I'm leery of going down a road that will be very expensive, but will ultimately only buy him some time.

I'm so sorry to read your news - esp with a 7 year old much loved buddy.  It's hard when they're old, but we know it will happen.  When they're younger... it's just wrong.

Anyway, if there are options for treatment, see if your 12 year old is willing to do it.  My dad sent me to a "farm kids" basic vet class in my youth so I could take care of many of the vet needs with our ponies (and dogs and cats).  It was never a problem for me - nor was my age a problem once I was shown what to do and given some tricks to the trade.  I still do a lot of our basic vet needs here on the farm - including most shots.

• Like 1

Small update: Thor went to the vet, got an injection to help his liver values and a B12 injection. He got sub-cutaneous fluids and I was given instruction on doing it myself daily. So we went home with several goodies, plus a fluid bag and some needles. DH and my boys can help and I will certainly need an extra pair of hands at first, at least. But I think I can do this; I will try, at least.

• Like 5

Small update: Thor went to the vet, got an injection to help his liver values and a B12 injection. He got sub-cutaneous fluids and I was given instruction on doing it myself daily. So we went home with several goodies, plus a fluid bag and some needles. DH and my boys can help and I will certainly need an extra pair of hands at first, at least. But I think I can do this; I will try, at least.

Like anything, it gets easier as you have more experience under your belt.  But still, if it's not for you, let one of your kids try.  They are old enough to do it well.

• Like 1

I am sorry Quill. I've been there many times and it's always heart wrenching.

At least you have help at home. Once my ds left home, I knew I was on my own with vet care since dh is the biggest chicken around when it comes to medical stuff.

• Like 1