Menu

Can you see yourself in an auto-pilot car?

Liz CA

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/01/tesla-driver-killed-autopilot-self-driving-car-harry-potter

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/01/bmw-intel-mobileye-develop-self-driving-cars

I don't think I could nap or watch movies. I'd be so worried that the car does not know that a stop sign is coming up or we need to turn left and there is oncoming traffic...

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

No.  Especially after driving a van that had a back up warning system.  This system frequently assumed that gravel was an obstacle.  It also never even saw a car I backed into (obviously, neither did I...lol)  I can just imagine a car with auto pilot misreading the road/cars/pedestrians/motorcycles.  I also think the automatic braking systems are a bad idea.

• Like 2

In a perfect world, where all signs are where they're supposed to be, and pointed in the right direction, and all the other drivers are where they're supposed to be, doing what they're supposed to be doing, then it might work.  But, until then, I'll keep my eyes on the road, my feet on the pedals, and my hands on the wheel.  

• Like 2

I would love to not ever have to drive again-but I want it to be proven technology first :). DD is devoutly hoping that self-driving cars are common before she has to learn to drive, but given that she's 11 now, I don't think she's going to get out of learning to drive that easily :)

• Like 3

No. Especially not after this accident. If you have to keep your hands on the wheel at all times and be ready to take control, as Tesla says, you might as well just drive.

I do think my grandkids will be driving them as adults, though I probably won't be here to see that. I think the technology will improve and true auto-pilot cars will be a reality in the not too distant future.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

I would.  Totally, in a heartbeat.   I know for a fact that a computer has a quicker reaction time than I do.  I've been annoyed with the industry for being so incredibly slow and backward in this area.  I'm hoping to keep my current car going until I can afford a car self-driving car.   

• Like 5

I think it's highly likely that this will be the comfortable and normal method of 'driving' in 20 to 40 years. By then, I'll be dandy... Not right now.

Yes, well, I once thought that by the year 2016 our cars would be much like Luke Skywalker's speeder.

I vote nope on the auto-car, for a variety of reasons.

• Like 2

Heck no. If I'm legally liable for what the contraption does, I'd better take the trouble to drive it.

I was thinking about this as well. How will insurance be handled? Will premiums increase? Will you only know there is something wrong with your self-driving car when you have an accident...no technology is without flaws.

• Like 1

Yes, well, I once thought that by the year 2016 our cars would be much like Luke Skywalker's speeder.

I vote nope on the auto-car, for a variety of reasons.

LOL, dh always says that he'd expected we'd all have flying cars by now.

• Like 1

I can't believe people are losing total faith in driverless cars because of one accident. I guess they don't realize that around 40,000 people die every year in car crashes in the U.S. alone. The leading cause of those fatalities are things that driverless cars would eliminate: speeding, following other vehicles too closely, making risky lane changes, etc.

Would driverless cars bring the death toll down to zero? Probably not. But how can we so easily dismiss technology that could bring the yearly death toll down from, say, 40,000 to 5,000? They've been testing driverless cars extensively for the past four years, and this is the first and only death from it. They've only had one other accident, which was minor and entirely the fault of the other person. The technology isn't even perfected yet and it's statistically vastly better than driving a car yourself.

When driverless cars hit the market, they will have ironed out most of the kinks. Honestly, I feel like the biggest obstacle to becoming a driverless society isn't problems with the software. It's how egotistical people are. I think most people in our society like to believe that we are super awesome drivers with catlike reflexes that could always outperform technology, and we like to feel like we are in control. It makes me angry to think that those tendencies might prevent us from saving so many lives.

Edited by Epicurean
  • Like 10

I think it's highly likely that this will be the comfortable and normal method of 'driving' in 20 to 40 years. By then, I'll be dandy... Not right now.

I agree, but I think the time frame for very reliable driverless cars is probably closer to five or ten years from now. I'm 53 and I think if I make it to old(er) age having this technology available may be a game changer in terms of quality of life. Seniors who no longer trust their reflexes or night vision won't have to depend on others or public transportation to get around. I wouldn't hesitate to ride in an auto-pilot car now, but I'd stay vigilant. It seems to me it's really no different from any new technology--when you're an early adopter you have to kinda sorta expect there may be bugs that need working out.

• Like 7

No.

My car's GPS doesn't even know how to get to my house!  It tries to reroute me a mile out of the way through a private community.

I wonder what an auto pilot car would do in the situation we had last night, with an SOB inches from our rear bumper, traveling down a winding mountain at 55mph, with 3 cars in front of us.

Or what if a deer or bear jumped out in front of me?  Would I hit it at 55 mph because the car wouldn't sense it in time to decelerate?  That could rip right through my van and kill my family.  Most of the time (clearly not all,) there's enough time to lessen the blow at least a little bit.  I've gotten down to 25mph to minimize the impact because I'm always watching the sides of the road.

• Like 1

No.

I don't believe it will become the new normal. I do think it's an avenue for companies to come up with and test some pretty innovative ideas and I think those will infiltrate daily life somehow, but replacing all the cars of the world with fully automated ones just isn't going to happen. And despite what the manufacturers may say, I doubt it's the actual goal.

• Like 2

I have to hear about AI due to dh's work all of the time. I have zero faith in it- but a whole slew of people live in the little world that think it will make humanity better, but then they acknowledge how easily it can spin out of control due to lack of any overall morality controlling where things should stop (General AI- not cars specifically. More like- we will no longer need people for most jobs in the future.) . The last conference we went to was incredibly depressing. I don't want a driverless car. I also wonder how it will all work, because if you think about it- it's a pretty elitist technology. How many people in the world can actually afford them and the insurance that will be required- like I mention- it's largely a bubble of very wealthy people and corporations that are so vested in all of this. Also- self driving cars at the moment don't work in the rain, the don't work in poor visibility, they don't work in lost of situations. So for me, at least with the technology we have right now- I personally will pass.

Edited by texasmom33

Not auto pilot, but I just bought DD15 a new Cadillac ATS that has all the lane changing, self braking, and seat shaking technology. I guess the verdict is still out on whether these cars actually prevent more accidents as opposed to making more care free drivers. I figured a $60000 car is cheaper than a $250000 ICU visit.

• Like 1

Yes.  I would trust the technology more than I would trust the vast majority of the people on the road, and that includes myself.  I am a good driver.  I am a cautious driver.  I caused one minor accident when I was a teen, and I learned from that mistake.  I drive a LOT less aggressively than most of the people out there.  But I still make mistakes.  I have chronic migraines, and I would love to have a self-driving car on those days when I need to get somewhere but I'm not functioning at full capacity.  And that capacity is only going to diminish as I age.  

I saw the autonomy that my grandparents lost when they had to give up driving.  They knew they were a danger to others on the road, so they did the right thing.  But how much nicer it would have been if they'd had this option.

• Like 6

I would be happy to let the car drive.

The more it lets me tell it up front what I want, the more I'd like it (e.g., use my preferred route; slow down because the road is wet from rain that just ended; etc.).

I also want a spot to plug in a thumb drive with mp3s on it, cup holders tall enough for stainless steel mugs/canteens, and all seats except the driver's to fold & stow (in a sedan).

• Like 2

I already have a full time chauffeur (DH) thank you very much!  I'd hate to deprive the dh of the pleasure he gets from driving me around everywhere and replacing him with a self driving car teehee.  I can imagine he'd say NO to auto pilot though, to answer your question :) 

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/01/tesla-driver-killed-autopilot-self-driving-car-harry-potter

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/01/bmw-intel-mobileye-develop-self-driving-cars

I don't think I could nap or watch movies. I'd be so worried that the car does not know that a stop sign is coming up or we need to turn left and there is oncoming traffic...

No.  You don't control your own driving for 40+ years and then just hand it over to a machine. 

• Like 1

I would like one.  I don't care for driving much.  I think I'd be especially appreciative of one in the winter.  I REALLY don't care for winter driving.

• Like 4

It is obvious to me that we should trust machines more than human drivers. Will glitches happen? Yes. Will there be less accidents than there is currently?  Probably. According to the ASIRT  there are 1.3 million deaths a year due to crashes with human drivers. I worry less about my teen being safe if they cause a crash than I do teen's running over small children in neighborhoods. Manufacturers will not program cars to speed past the crosswalk and stop after passing through it. I doubt they will program cars to pass within 6 inches of a cyclist as many currently do or to run through red lights or attempt a round about at 55 MPH as recently happened here  and they certainly won't program them to do 45-55 in a residential neighborhood as many people do in my neighborhood. I'm sure it will be some time before they work out the kinks but I trust the other driver's out there very little so anyway to get less people driving is a good thing in my mind.  

• Like 6

Auto pilot cars would have to be the norm on the road before I would trust them. The human element has to be taken off the road for these to work at a level which I would consider them safe. I am sure it will happen eventually, but not today.

• Like 2

Nuh-uh. My battery kept dying because of a bad seat module that somehow confused the computer into shorting out the electrical every time I plugged my phone into the usb in my gps. Computers are glitchy. I don't want a glitch to run me off a mountain. HAVE WE FORGOTTEN THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, PEOPLE??

• Like 3

Auto pilot cars would have to be the norm on the road before I would trust them. The human element has to be taken off the road for these to work at a level which I would consider them safe. I am sure it will happen eventually, but not today.

When they are the norm, then an additional level of safety could be introduced, a bluetooth style instant network of cars passing info.   It could help prevent pileup accidents.   So, if one car sees something on the highway in front of it and has to brake, it could pass that info along to the cars behind it and they could start braking before that car could even see that there was a problem.  

• Like 4

Maybe.  For certain things.  I take the same route to karate class every week, and there's practically zero traffic.  I know exactly when I'm going to slow down to make the turn, exactly how long it'll take at each leg of the journey, etc.  It's a couple of turns onto several miles of a highway with no traffic lights, then one off-ramp to take another low traffic road with several miles of no lights.  I'm definitely able to use my cruise control, so I could see an autopilot car.  (In fact, my brain has trouble not making that turn onto the off-ramp on the extremely rare occasions that I need to go past it!)

• Like 1

Earlier I said I can't imagine myself in such a car, but that's really only because I don't think the technology will be perfected in my lifetime. I would like one if they were really self-driving.  I also started thinking (because I'm older) about the next 15-20 years as I age. If auto-pilot cars are refined to the point of being truly safe, the impact on the elderly would be huge. It would allow older people independence for a longer time, especially those who live where public transit isn't available or isn't very good. 

I keep thinking of it in terms of younger people - ds probably and our grandkids almost definitely will be in these cars, but the impact on older people I think will be bigger than on younger folks.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

We would love it. Talk about making commutes less stressful. But my husband would totally take the bus to and from work if it ran as broadly as he needed, too.

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  If you are asking "Assuming that completely self-driving cars are at least as safe as humans, and, somehow, affordable, would you want one".  My answer is "YES!". If you are asking "Do you think that completely self-driving cars will be as safe as humans and affordable in my lifetime, my answer is "I'm not so sure".

• Like 2

No.

1. I love driving. I drive a stick, because an automatic is already not really driving anymore.

2. I get car sick if I do not drive myself if it's anything but a straight freeway. An auto-pilot car on a curvy country road would mean puking. No thanks.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  If you are asking "Assuming that completely self-driving cars are at least as safe as humans, and, somehow, affordable, would you want one".  My answer is "YES!". If you are asking "Do you think that completely self-driving cars will be as safe as humans and affordable in my lifetime, my answer is "I'm not so sure".

Since we are not used to giving up control of a vehicle, I was wondering how comfortable you would be not having your foot on the brake pedal or hands on the wheel. I am not sure I would ever get completely comfortable with it. But then I won't live another fifty years and by then these vehicles could be the norm and most people won't remember driving themselves.

When cars versus horse and buggy first were introduced they were viewed as very dangerous and terrible polluters. Perhaps people were thinking that a horse (even though it's an animal with its own quirks) is much safer than a human-controlled machine? On the other hand, cars got faster and faster and the potential for serious accidents increased, however, I would not want to be riding down the road with a spooked, galloping horse turning a buggy over on me either.

• Like 1

Well, I don't see myself in one, simply because of my age.  I've been driving for over 40 years.  I think it would be really hard for me to make that transition, even if the technology were available to me tomorrow.  Most likely it won't be available during my lifetime.

If I was 20, 30 years younger?  Sure, why not?   But I rarely say no to hypothetical questions because there is no way to be certain.

• Like 1