Menu

If someone was going to buy you a $100 gift, what would you ask for?

Just Kate

My parents spend about $100 on the adult kids' Christmas gifts each year (me, dh, brother, and sil). Sometimes dh and I will get a combined gift. This year, I can't think of anything I'd like for us together, and dh has a $100 backpacking tarp that he would really like, so my mom has asked me for some ideas for a gift to buy for me. As crazy as it sounds, I can't think of anything! And it is so late (my mom and I both started out Christmas shopping late this year and we are scrambling now). Can you give me some ideas?

No gift cards. Anything else is fair game.

Thanks!

I really only have a couple of hobbies and none include stuff that's easy for someone else to buy. 

So I'd really rather just have money. My inlaws give me birthday money and I am diligent about putting it aside and then letting them know what I spent it on.

But if I had to choose something, I'd probably ask for something boring like sheets that are easy to buy and we can use. This late in the shopping season stresses me out so I'd hate to pick something hard to find.  

Have you wanted to try out any new makeup or a new fragrance? Need new slippers or gloves?

Kindle Paperwhite?  That was my "Wish" this year.  New fancy boots - not the snow boot variety?

Yup, that's what someone is getting me.   :D  And I got a $20 off mailer from amazon to stack with the $20 off sale, so then there was enough leftover for a cover!  I'm excited!  I do a LOT of waiting for ds with his appointments, so now I can read.  Well I normally take something to read, but it's usually something about therapies and learning disabilities.  I want to relax and read something for ME.  Amazon has a editor's list they put out every month and you can pick one of the ebooks for free!  I didn't even realize that, or I would have been collecting all this time!  It's called Kindle First, and it's books that aren't out yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/kindle/first/ref=kf_surl_rw

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 3

Initial thought was a massage or facial.

Love the Kindle idea.

What about tickets to something? Do Broadway shows tour your town?

Two sessions with a person trainer, Pilates instructor, or Yoga instructor?

If I lived up North, I'd totally go for new boots or yaktrax. 

What about some really nice skin care products or make-up.

Kindle Paperwhite?  That was my "Wish" this year.  New fancy boots - not the snow boot variety?

I have an iPad that I read on, but I would love a new iPad Mini (but those don't cost $100 - lol).

Dooney and Burke has purses on sale for that price.  Today may be the last day, though.  It was supposed to be 12 days of Christmas sale and today is number 14.

Actually, some type of new purse may be nice. Maybe even something from Marshall's or TJ Maxx? I don't ever buy myself expensive purses.

Initial thought was a massage or facial.

Love the Kindle idea.

What about tickets to something? Do Broadway shows tour your town?

Two sessions with a person trainer, Pilates instructor, or Yoga instructor?

If I lived up North, I'd totally go for new boots or yaktrax. 

What about some really nice skin care products or make-up.

Boots are a good idea, but I honestly wonder if I could get a nicer pair of boots for $100? Anyone know of any good brands to look at? I am fashion-challenged.

I was also thinking about make-up. I do wear Bare Escentuals make-up, but I just buy the basics because I hate spending the money. It may be nice to go and get some fun extras that I would never buy myself. Hmmm...

Oh, and I originally thought of tickets to a show, but I live in a pretty rural state and while some good shows do occasionally come through here, there is nothing I'd be interested in right now.

Thanks for helping with ideas! Keep 'em coming!!! :)

• Like 1

If you don't have an ereader and you are a reader, you might enjoy one. I personally prefer a Kindle because I'm a huge Amazon.com fan and buy stuff from them all the time. I know you said no gift cards, but I would ask for a Kindle one because I would love more books. I have been feeling guilty lately for how much I spend on books.

Super nice set of sheets.

Pots and pans that are better than my cheapy ones.

A good pair of walking/running/tennis shoes.

A pair of Toms slip-ons.

A nice outfit like a skirt and blouse.

A new purse and wallet.

Small diamond earrings.

I've started keeping a running list for just such gift requests. I always draw a blank when put on the spot. Items on my list include:

- cookbooks

- new dish towels

- an upgraded paring knife

- a spice grinder

- new pair of tennis shoes

- a new wallet

- yoga mat and yoga DVDs

- a cheese basket sent to my house for a date night in (I drool over selections at Murray's Cheeses)

- magazine subscriptions

In the gift certificate department (but these feel different to me than an Amazon card, say):

- massage

- facial

- manicure/pedicure

- gift certificate to a nice local restaurant for a date night

These are all things I would like to have but don't need, and probably won't buy myself. (Except the dish towels. Eventually the straits will get desperate!)

• Like 1

What would I ask for?  A 1/3 hp submersible pump, a laundry tub, a short garden hose and a fan spray nozzle.  'Cause I want to make a recirculating dog bathing system.

But I'm guessing none of those are what most women would be wanting for Christmas. ;)  :lol:

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 5

I'm lame, but I'd ask for things I wouldn't buy myself because I already have them - but they're worn and/or icky.  New cookie sheet pans, new white, cotton, old-fashioned dish cloths, new wooden spoons & spatulas, new potholders, new dishrags....etc.  

One thing I would like is one of those breakfast sandwich makers - I have a friend who loves hers!

I would ask for something from The Great Courses, Kindle Paperwhite or 6"Fire (received one for my birthday and I love it!!!), a nice heavy bathrobe, some new frying pans and cookie sheets, a few annotated editions of various books, something from Lodge cast iron, one of those Homedics shiatsu massage thingys, or a nice tea service for 4.

Well, what I would like would be one of these:

Gift card to a LYS?  That's far more specific than the normal generic gift card would be.

Earthies pumps (flats) are $99 and they are the most comfortable and versatile shoes I own.

Blender

Pampered Chef stoneware--the red deep covered baker or the red pie plate would be awesome

Several bottles of Rombauer Zinfandel

A Yamaha bass recorder (plastic)