Menu

Are cashiers less friendly than they used to be?

JumpyTheFrog

Let me state than I am an introvert and don't enjoy small talk as much as most people. That being said, when I was a cashier at a grocery store in high school, I tried hard to be pleasant to the customers by saying hi and thanking them for shopping there or wishing them a nice day. I don't remember if they trained me to do so (probably not since the entire chain went out of business) or if I knew, despite my below average social skills at the time, that good employees welcome and thank the customers.

When I go to the store these days, the cashiers (regardless of age) rarely greet me and almost never say much other than announce the amount due and how much my change is. Being thanked or wished a good day is even rarer than a greeting. What has happened? Are employees not expected to at least pretend to be friendly anymore? Is this something about my area? Is is because most of the cashiers near here are age 30-60? Has this happened in your area? Or were friendly cashiers always rare and I just never noticed it until the last five years?

• Like 2

I think people in general are less friendly and less polite. I don't think this is limited to cashier's. However I suspect cashier's are subjected to a lot of unfriendly, impolite actions ( more than when I was a kid) and it gets hard to maintain a friendly demeanor. Yes, I know its part of the job to be friendly, but I think our society has changed not in a good way.

• Like 8

They seem way more friendly to me now because I moved from MD where cashiers are very businesslike, no real talking, to Texas where cashiers are your new best friend.  It was quite an adjustment when we moved here to actually start responding to cashiers.

• Like 7

I see a regional difference (less talking in the North to save you time, more in the South to acknowledge your presence), and I also see a difference from chain to chain. The higher-end the grocery store, the more the clerk wants to talk to me. The folks at the cheapest store barely look at me; those at the most expensive store want me to advise them on their shopping.

Yeah, I agree that it depends on where you are.  Not just geographically, but even what chain it is.

I notice a difference when I order fast food.  I'm so used to being treated coldly and carelessly at most joints, I really notice the difference at Chick-Fil-A - so much so that I feel bad for talking to them the way I'm expected to talk at McD's.  Similar with different grocery stores etc.

It does bug me when the staff looks right through me and acts put out when I want help spending money at their store.  I have been known to turn around and leave.

• Like 1

In my area the tendency is for the stores that are employee-owned or union (Winco, Safeway. Fred Meyer) to have friendly, helpful cashiers, and the non-union places (Wal-Mart, K-Mart) to have cashiers who range from disinterested to surly. Trader Joe's is somewhat of an anomaly--I'm pretty sure they aren't union, but they tend to have extremely upbeat, bordering-on-manic cashiers. Maybe it's the cookie butter?  :lol:

• Like 3

I think it just varies depending on who you get.  lol  My dd is a cashier and she's great. But many of her co-workers are older and seem very tired, unwilling to talk OR are younger and just, sorry, ODD.  Talking about all kinds of wacky stuff that I could care less about and stuff like that.

HOWEVER, the one thing I have noticed is that fast food, drive-thru employees tend to no longer repeat your total and basically just stand there and hold their hand out to take your card or cash.  ???  This is SO rude to me!  I like to hear and confirm the amount or at least get a hello, not just a hand sticking out the window!   (Again, not all this way, but a LOT more than just occasionally.)

I'd say for me it runs about 75 percent friendly to 25 percent indifferent to almost surly.  I think the chain does matter -- in general the more upscale the more friendly the staff will be.  Time of day also matters, I think.  If I have to go to WalMart I always go early on weekdays, and I rarely encounter an employee who isn't friendly and helpful.

• Like 1

I've actually got such a friendly cashier at the grocery store I go to that I wouldn't be surprised if she is super worried about me right now.  I used to go shopping every Friday at 6am.  Since I got really sick three weeks ago I've gone in the evening with my husband or he's gone without me, and definitely not at 6 in the morning.  When summer started I would go shopping a little later and my regular cashier commented once she was worried about me when I didn't arrive at 6 and other times she's commented that she's always happy to see me get out of my car on Friday mornings.  It'll be a while until I can go back to my regular schedule since I'll be having surgery soon and will need to recover from that, too.  I've actually considered sending a note to the store for her letting her know what's going on.  She was so supportive when Ani was diagnosed with Celiac and I was overwhelmed.  She's just a really awesome cashier.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed a change.  At my regular store, the cashiers seem terrified to me, lol.  They ask me so many question: how do I want the bags packed, do I want this or that in a bag or left out, do I want the vegetables in a separate bag from the boxed goods, do I want the cleaning items packed in a plastic bag, am I positive that I don't want someone to take the groceries to my car and load them for me....It never stops!  I cut to the chase and tell them to pack them however they want. I'm not that picky and I just don't care.  That always gets me a very big smile

They act like they spend all their time dealing with very picky people who are very vocal and have definite opinions on how they want their groceries packed. I think I would get fired in about 2 hours if I worked there.

• Like 1

They act like they spend all their time dealing with very picky people who are very vocal and have definite opinions on how they want their groceries packed. I think I would get fired in about 2 hours if I worked there.

I've noticed this, too. Recently, I had a young cashier ask if I minded if he put the bananas in a blue bag (cold products) instead of a white bag (non-perishables). Um...no, I don't care. (As long as you don't do something boneheaded like toss cans on top of my eggs or something like that, I'm fine.)

• Like 1

I tend to frequent the same places and most are friendly. I'm very introverted, but worked as a cashier for years and can fake the chit chat for a moment or two. I will start if they don't. 

I do notice older cashiers are more apt to be a bit temperamental. I attribute that to where they work, how long they have to stand on their feet, and how it's not real thrilling when you have to wait a long while between bathroom breaks. At 48, I'd probably make a surly cashier. 

I give some grace to the younger ones, I once was clueless too. 

• Like 3

I usually make it a point to have a friendly conversation with cashiers, whether it is at the grocery store, gas station/convenience store, fast food place, whatever. And they are universally friendly in return. I live in the southeastern U.S. 

We typically have brief discussions about the weather, how busy their day has been, how much longer they have to work, or some sports or other news event. At the grocery store, we may discuss a particular food item I am purchasing -- artichokes always provoke questions from the cashier. 

• Like 1

It depends on where I am.  Our grocery store checkers are pretty friendly and will make small talk.  Other places I regularly go aren't very friendly, though.  I always try to be very respectful to people at the drive thru and say please, thank you, and address others as ma'am and sir.  I think I'm usually nicer to the checkers than they are to me.

• Like 1

Here, a northern state, most cashiers are quite friendly.  Now and then they're not -- but that's definitely a minority.  Those that aren't friendly are typically bored-looking twenty-somethings, who really don't want to be there.  But I don't run into that very often.

I find it varies by person. Our local store opened just after my boys were born. A lot of the employees who have been there since the start remember me and them and are chatty. One cashier just retired and I was sort of sad that I won't be seeing her anymore. But not all. There are a few who I know are always cranky or silent. At one point, one of them clearly had gotten in trouble for it and was being extra nice. I laughed at her and was like, "You are obviously doing something a little different. Perhaps some manager's on your case." She laughed too and was like, "You don't need me to be all talkative, right? You just want to pay and get out of here! I keep my line moving. That should be enough! But some people..." Ha.

I think friendly is the norm because the unfriendly cashiers really stand out as unusual!

Baggers around here are terrible but that's another topic...

One thing I've noticed online though is people who work retail complaining about customers via shared memes and such. They usually demonstrate no understanding of customers being the source of the store's income. I'm sure some customers are difficult but someone opening a conversation with "do you work here?" is not someone to complain about!

• Like 1

Yes they are less friendly and some even seem surly when I begin to unload my buggy but I ALWAYS greet them with a "how are you doing today" and a little small talk (how crowded/busy the store is).  After that they almost always soften up and act friendly.  

• Like 1

When I go to the store these days, the cashiers (regardless of age) rarely greet me and almost never say much other than announce the amount due and how much my change is. Being thanked or wished a good day is even rarer than a greeting. What has happened? Are employees not expected to at least pretend to be friendly anymore? Is this something about my area? Is is because most of the cashiers near here are age 30-60? Has this happened in your area? Or were friendly cashiers always rare and I just never noticed it until the last five years?

I always greet the cashier and then thank them for checking me out.  I also make small talk with them and almost 100% of the time they "unload" (not in a negative way) what has been happening that day (very busy/no break/worked 10 hours and ready to go home).  I almost always come away with having had a nice conversation with cashiers.  

I started doing this mindfully several years ago because I realized how much I hated going to the store and dealing with other customers.  People are sometimes (a lot of the time) down right mean and rude. It dawned on me how horrible it must be to be a cashier in Walmart so I began to be extra nice and friendly to even the grumpiest cashier.  I almost always come away with a positive experience with the employee no matter how crappy everyone else in the aisles had been.

• Like 5

There is a Burger King very near us that I used to pop into quite often when I had my sons with me. It is on the way out of the neighborhood, and we would grab something there on our way. Since two sons have moved away and the third would rather do someplace other than BK, I am very rarely in there anymore. A while back, I was there and the owner's son saw me and greeted me warmly, saying he hadn't seen me in a while. A little later, his wife and kids came into the restaurant, and he very proudly brought over his newborn baby to show me, and introduced to me his other children and wife. It was sweet.

• Like 1

I think people in general are crankier than they used to be. I see it on this board, at the grocery store where I have shopped for 15 years, on the interstates when the guy behind me flips me off because I tapped my brake lights to remind him that he was close enough to read my tag in Braille. People are offended by every little thing. Cashiers are just representative of what I see everywhere. Of course not everyone is crabby, but I do see more of it than I used to.

• Like 4

Baggers around here are terrible but that's another topic...

They are also being paid a lot less so maybe there's a correlation?

Baggers at my local Kroger may not be the best at bagging groceries--though most are reasonably good--but they are generally a friendly bunch. So are the cashiers. I think it's the culture of this particular store. One of the CSMs was chatting with me about how the management of their store really make it a great place to work. I'm guessing management is also keenly aware that they're competing with the 3 Publix stores and the Walmart--all just a few miles away--as well, so they want to make sure customers enjoy their shopping experience.

Most of the cashiers around here are very friendly. Not always at WalMart, but sometimes, and at the grocery stores they are almost always friendly. Most people we meet around here are very nice.

My parents visit this area often, and they say that the cashiers, and people in general, are not very friendly in their home area. I think people in general are crankier these days.

The only quiet cashiers I encounter are at Costco - and it isn't that they are unfriendly, just trying to rush people through as the lines are always long.

I live in FL and the majority of our cashiers at Publix and Target are older grandparent types.  They are pretty cheerful and happy to chat to anyone willing to chat back. 

I'm no longer a cashier (thank God!), but some days you can only take so many people bitching at you or otherwise being a crap human being to you.

If I didn't smile or make small talk, it's because I was seriously upset about a previous customer. I'm very non-confrontational and it makes me sick to be yelled at and treated like dog poo.

In general, I tried my best. But if the customer isn't going to put in the effort either, than I'd just ring them out and let them be on their way.

• Like 1

Some are friendly, some are reserved, a couple are surly.

One consideration: my son's best friend's dad is a checker at a large, very busy, grocery store here. In recent years, his managers have been insisting that he talk to customers less so his line moves as fast as possible. He doesn't like this and doesn't really like the direction but he does need to keep his job so he goes along to get along.

• Like 1

I think it actually depends on the stores - we shop a lot at Trader Joes where they are incredibly friendly no matter who you get, no matter which store you are at. On a rare occasion I've had to pop into Ralph's grocery store and it's totally the opposite - practically zero customer service. And it's probably part of the reason I hate Ralph's so much.

• Like 1

The cashiers here are very friendly. I thought it was just my favorite chain (Publix) but I've noticed it at other chains I visit, too.

They not only greet us and thank us for shopping with them, they chat about the weather, our family, our purchases, etc; they remember us and keep up with our children through the years. The other day a sweet goofy teenager boy (bagging our groceries) presented the flowers I purchased to my sons who were sitting in the cart, with a flourish, and kept them nicely entertained while I finished my check out, checking out their little pumpkins, etc.

• Like 1

We noticed a HUGE difference when we moved to a small town. In the big city nearby from which we moved, there are a lot of surly cashiers -- it is clear that these people have a chip on their shoulder from having to serve you.   In our small town, the majority of cashiers are nice and friendly.  Maybe in the small town there is more of an emphasis on friendliness, to keep business in the town.  

In recent years, his managers have been insisting that he talk to customers less so his line moves as fast as possible. He doesn't like this and doesn't really like the direction but he does need to keep his job so he goes along to get along.

This is a good point and something I hadn't considered.

I've lived in a lot of different states and noticed that the friendliness of cashiers is probably regional.

Grew up in Southern California where my Mom knew every single cashier at our local Ralphs.  And they knew her.  So I grew up assuming it was right and proper to be chatty with the cashier.

Colorado - Denver area:  not quite so friendly, but I chalked it up to not really know who I was [unlike the grocery stores back home in L.A.]. Grand Junction - chatty, chatty, chatty!  It drove my mother-in-law crazy - she just wanted to get the groceries and go home.

New Jersey - I remember coming home in shock because NO ONE talked to me the entire time I was in the grocery store.  Even the cashier just grunted and pointed to the amount I owed.  Sadly, this was the norm in every store or fast food place I went to in this state.

Pennsylvania - back to semi-friendly cashiers.  Not always chatty, but at least they smiled.

Connecticut - in the northern section of the state they were friendly-ish.  Well, friendly for New England.  No time for frivolous talk in that section of the country.  Southern Connecticut - no chat, no smiles.  Get in, get your stuff, get out.

Virginia!! - we now live in a small town.  Cashiers are friendly and chatty.  And, for the most part, the people in line are also patient with the conversation going on at the cash register.  My youngest is a cashier at our local grocery store and she has commented on the folks who come through her line and don't even bother to respond to her "hello".  I asked if those people tend to come from a certain region and she says no - the thing they have in common is that they're in their 20s and 30s.  Older people [according to Stitchgirl] love to talk at the checkout counter.

I think it actually depends on the stores - we shop a lot at Trader Joes where they are incredibly friendly no matter who you get, no matter which store you are at. On a rare occasion I've had to pop into Ralph's grocery store and it's totally the opposite - practically zero customer service. And it's probably part of the reason I hate Ralph's so much.

The Ralph's down the street from my parents was Mom's favourite place to shop.  It's where she knew everyone, and always got updates on LIFE from the cashiers she knew who had been there forever.  In the past years, though, there's been a huge changeover in the store and Mom now goes to Trader Joe's more often.  Or Fish King......where she knows the life story of everyone who works in that store since it's been in my hometown forever.

I love going shopping with her because I know I'm going to hear all about so-and-so's grandchild who is doing such-and-such and making his grandfather proud [or breaking his grandfather's heart......depending on the story].

I'm friendly even to the surly cashiers who look like they've checked out.  Often just throwing them a bone will snap them out of their funk and bring them back to the land of the living.  It's a nice change to see when it works.

In my area the tendency is for the stores that are employee-owned or union (Winco, Safeway. Fred Meyer) to have friendly, helpful cashiers, and the non-union places (Wal-Mart, K-Mart) to have cashiers who range from disinterested to surly. Trader Joe's is somewhat of an anomaly--I'm pretty sure they aren't union, but they tend to have extremely upbeat, bordering-on-manic cashiers. Maybe it's the cookie butter?  :lol:

Trader Joe's here REQUIRES their employees to walk you to an item if you ask where it is.  This policy definitely gives you the impression that the person is friendlier than the average cashier.  Still, I do think the service there is friendlier than average.

I see a regional difference (less talking in the North to save you time, more in the South to acknowledge your presence), and I also see a difference from chain to chain. The higher-end the grocery store, the more the clerk wants to talk to me. The folks at the cheapest store barely look at me; those at the most expensive store want me to advise them on their shopping.

I've noticed the difference to but think of it as more tied to population density.  If it's crowded I appreciate efficiency.  If the business is lighter it feels like everyone has more time for banter.  I'm sure not every customer gives off a vibe that invites chit chat even in a slow store.

I think it just varies depending on who you get.  lol  My dd is a cashier and she's great. But many of her co-workers are older and seem very tired, unwilling to talk OR are younger and just, sorry, ODD.  Talking about all kinds of wacky stuff that I could care less about and stuff like that.

HOWEVER, the one thing I have noticed is that fast food, drive-thru employees tend to no longer repeat your total and basically just stand there and hold their hand out to take your card or cash.  ???  This is SO rude to me!  I like to hear and confirm the amount or at least get a hello, not just a hand sticking out the window!   (Again, not all this way, but a LOT more than just occasionally.)

I don't expect them to say anything unless I ask because they always have those poor kids in headphones.  They're trying to take my money AND take the order at the drive-through at the same time.  If they're talking, they can't hear what the person on the headset is saying.  The alternative is waiting longer for your order and most people wouldn't choose that in a fast food situation.  I NEVER use the chick-fil-a drivethrough.  It's always faster to go inside.  I wonder if their friendliness policies are causing the delay?

Most cashiers are friendly here, but generally the culture is friendly.  The discount stores are less so though.  I have tended to attribute it to being unhappy with their working conditions.

Yeah, I usually assume the Walmart employees near us are like zombies for a reason - poor treatment by both their employers and probably the customers, too. The Walmarts where near where I grew up and near where DH grew up are much less depressing to visit.

Strangely, the state where we live now has a stereotype of being friendly and the areas we grew up don't. Despite this, it seems like customer service is better when we go back to our home state. 

• Like 2

No, not here. I think some are friendly and some are not but generally people are pretty friendly. They aren't trying to be your best friend but they are polite.

As I get older fewer and fewer male cashiers pay me attention. I'm okay with that!