Menu

Lighthearted thread: things that are just a bad idea.

LucyStoner

So while standing in line to get milkshakes for my sons, I noticed a woman ahead of me wearing low rise, skin tight skinny denim...overalls. I thought the combination couldn't get anymore unattractive until she turned to go and realized they were intentionally distressed all up and down the front to the point of being strings. Any one element on it's own, ok. All together it was a bit of a sight to see.

I will no longer feel inappropriately dressed in a t-shirt and fairly ugly but comfy soft twill skirt.

Anyone else have a "not a great combination" story to share?

• Like 5

We watched a TED talk about crazy inventions that were patented. One of them was a spinning delivery table. Strap the in-labor woman down to the table and spin it to allow gravity to help with the delivery. I couldn't find how the doctor would catch (find?) the baby after it had been spun out. Also unknown is how sick the new mother would be after all that spinning.

• Like 27

We saw a woman at the St. Louis Science Center that must have been crazy. She was probably in her 60's. She was with a couple in their 40's and some kids (adults and kids looked normal).

The older woman was wearing a black shiny body suit that was so short her cheeks were literally peeking out the bottom. The V on the front went nearly to her navel exposing some sad cleavage. She had a black leather jacket over it and her blush was so dark red that it had to have been lipstick. We were sitting in the food court and watched her go up the stairs to the second floor. Every person she passed did a double take. It was quite amusing and a little sad.

• Like 3

We saw a woman at the St. Louis Science Center that must have been crazy. She was probably in her 60's. She was with a couple in their 40's and some kids (adults and kids looked normal).

The older woman was wearing a black shiny body suit that was so short her cheeks were literally peeking out the bottom. The V on the front went nearly to her navel exposing some sad cleavage. She had a black leather jacket over it and her blush was so dark red that it had to have been lipstick. We were sitting in the food court and watched her go up the stairs to the second floor. Every person she passed did a double take. It was quite amusing and a little sad.

she'd look right at home with a family of six I once saw at the zoo.  both parents had very colorful hair in assorted multiple bright rainbow shades, - and so did the kids down to the 2yo.  I don't remember their clothing exactly - but it was in the same genre - and didn't adequately cover the territory.

• Like 2

My dad was told this story on a cruise by a Danish civil servant.

Apparently, in Denmark, you can call a number to report foolish behavior. A man called it to report his neighbor. This civil servant came out... and found that the man who had called was on a ladder painting his house trim. The problem? The ladder was on a truck which his friend was driving while the man painted so he could get all his trim. The civil servant didn't bother to check on the person the man on the ladder had reported.

Emily

• Like 6

Let this be on record I have tried to stop these horrible combinations but the males in this house like to live on the edge. They might have even mixed a pattern with camo as well. I'm pretty sure dh left the house once with shorts and argyle socks and tennis shoes :lol:

I have pulled ds aside before to tell him things don't match and he is like, "I don't care." Ok, buddy. Glad you're leaving the house with Dad!! LOL

One of my sons does stripes with camo. Unrepentantly. He also does stripes with plaid. It pains me.

• Like 4

Wow, so many good things already. I agree that rompers, spandex that is not for someone going IMMEDIATELY bicycle riding, and the cowboy flip flops are a bad idea.

Getting my cat off the roof by climbing out the window. Bad idea. Don't ask how it turned out. I had had wine.  

• Like 5

Using the ice machine ice to put out the camp fire after a long long night and many bottles of wine. The next morning hubbies go to get ice and can't find the ice scoop. Dear friend and I put aside our hangovers long enough to laugh hysterically. She bought me a metal one for this year.

• Like 11

I recently spotted a gal wearing:

capri sweatpants with cowboy boots and a backwards baseball cap

Well shorts and muck boots are the outfit of the week at the local 4h fair. Shorts and cowboyboots are common as well.

• Like 1

I don't like to judge what other people wear.  But I DO really wish more women would understand the importance of checking legging opaqueness. Especially before they use the stair machine right in front of the cardio room entrance.  Or, at the very least, wear underwear.  I'm just saying.

• Like 8

My oldest insisted on getting button up short-sleeve shirts in a size 7-8 (because he's almost 8), even though they're clearly way too big and he should've gotten at least one size smaller. Paired with really short shorts it looks like he's walking around in just a button up shirt. I try to avoid that combo, but he's worn that at least once out and about (the shirt he wore was dark blue with little white line drawings of rockets and skate boards and the like). I don't remember what shoes he wore with that... maybe the pink sparkly ones?

• Like 1

My dad was told this story on a cruise by a Danish civil servant.

Apparently, in Denmark, you can call a number to report foolish behavior. A man called it to report his neighbor. This civil servant came out... and found that the man who had called was on a ladder painting his house trim. The problem? The ladder was on a truck which his friend was driving while the man painted so he could get all his trim. The civil servant didn't bother to check on the person the man on the ladder had reported.

Emily

Wait! He didn't check on the other guy?

Given that standing on a ladder that was balanced on a moving vehicle was apparently NOT foolish in this man's mind, I think anything he reported as foolish would probably require the person to be locked up for his or her own safety and that of those around them.

• Like 8

I hate those things. They are almost creepy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Rompers on grown people (or really, anyone over the age of 3 or 4 and even that's questionable since you know, it's not the seventies anymore) bring to mind some kind of weird fetish, like baby doll dresses or Catholic school girl outfits or something. Ick ick ick. Creepy is the right word!

• Like 3