Menu

When you bring a gift in a gift bag......

mom@shiloh

As others said, it's part of the gift. It's no different to me than wrapping paper. I realize those bags can get expensive, but I buy the cheapest solid color ones I can find. But I skip the expensive cards that people usually include. I buy a .99 cent one if I feel the need to have a card, but otherwise just write a brief message, like Happy Birthday/Anniversary, on the little card that comes attached to the bag.

• Like 1

Post of the gift. If I had to give them back, all future gift recipients would be stuck receiving gifts wrapped in old AAA maps.

Maps are fabulous for gift wrapping!   I'm just lazy and go with the bag most of the time.  Hate the expense though.    :-)

• Like 2

I never expect the bag back.  I also do not write any message on the attached card because I want the recipient to be able to reuse the bag.  I never seem to have enough wrapping paper/tape/bags so I appreciate unwritten on ones that I can save and reuse when I need one (usually 5 minutes before I need to leave the house with a gift).

• Like 7

I wouldn't know, because I never use gift bags.  I adore wrapping paper and wrap any gift that is not breathing or nailed down.  Heck, I might wrap it if it IS nailed down.  Plunking a gift into a bag and handing it over?  Not my style.  My retirement home will have a proper gift-wrapping station so I can comfortably wrap presents for the grandkids well into my dotage.

• Like 5

I never expect the bag back.  I also do not write any message on the attached card because I want the recipient to be able to reuse the bag.  I never seem to have enough wrapping paper/tape/bags so I appreciate unwritten on ones that I can save and reuse when I need one (usually 5 minutes before I need to leave the house with a gift).

I take the used card off the bag and just put a cheap card in the bag with the gift.

• Like 3

Part of the gift.  But never fear - when folks gift you or your kids with a gift bag, you get to keep it, too.  I have a large box full of gift bags, for every bag that leaves this house it seems two come back to us. :-)

Only you have to remember who gave you what gift bag.bLest you embarrass yourself like I did mine and give a gift to a person using the same gift bag they gave you:) Probably made myself look incredibly tacky when in reality I'm just terribly forgetful.

• Like 2

I wouldn't know, because I never use gift bags.  I adore wrapping paper and wrap any gift that is not breathing or nailed down.  Heck, I might wrap it if it IS nailed down.  Plunking a gift into a bag and handing it over?  Not my style.  My retirement home will have a proper gift-wrapping station so I can comfortably wrap presents for the grandkids well into my dotage.

I used to be like you, but then I grew old and tired. ;-) 

I admire your spirit!  Already planning for the grandkids… 

• Like 3

Only you have to remember who gave you what gift bag.bLest you embarrass yourself like I did mine and give a gift to a person using the same gift bag they gave you:) Probably made myself look incredibly tacky when in reality I'm just terribly forgetful.[/quote

Wouldn't phase me to give the same bag back to the same person. But we have been exchange the same bags for Christmas for years. MIL will write names on the tag and then question me whY it is mislabeled when given back to her. I just ask why she would bother writing the name on it when we all reuse them.

• Like 3

My mom and I often give our bags back between ourselves, or we give it back with a new gift enclosed in the next season. We have several Christmas gift bags that just go back and forth between households. To someone not my mother? No way, the bag is part of the gift. 

• Like 3

When you bring a gift in a gift bag, do you expect to have the gift bag returned to you, or is it part of the gift?  

It is part of the gift.  If the recipient wants to offer the bag back to the giver, that's fine, but the giver should not ask for or expect it back.  If the giver wants to keep the gift bag, he should wrap the gift in something else.

• Like 3

When I was a kid, gift bags weren't a thing. We did lots of homemade gifts, so we recycled boxes for wrapping our treasures. We learned at a young age to never trust that the box revealed what was in it. I remember my little brother beginning to open a present and saying, "This box has been in the family for years." 

• Like 5

As others said, it's part of the gift. It's no different to me than wrapping paper. I realize those bags can get expensive, but I buy the cheapest solid color ones I can find. But I skip the expensive cards that people usually include. I buy a .99 cent one if I feel the need to have a card, but otherwise just write a brief message, like Happy Birthday/Anniversary, on the little card that comes attached to the bag.

I buy blank cards in large lots at the stationary store.  they work for everything, i.e. thinking of you, thank you, invitations, happy birthday, gifts, etc.   and are very inexpensive per card.  I loath preprinted cards.  I prefer to write my own message - it doesn't have to be witty or profound - just my words in my handwriting.

• Like 2

Good, I'm not the only one who considers it the gift wrap!  It would never have occurred to me to ask for the gift bag back, but another mom made a bit of a big deal about it at a recent event.  Seriously?  Part of my hostessing duties include making sure everyone gets their gift bag back?  I don't think so.  

• Like 13

Good, I'm not the only one who considers it the gift wrap! It would never have occurred to me to ask for the gift bag back, but another mom made a bit of a big deal about it at a recent event. Seriously? Part of my hostessing duties include making sure everyone gets their gift bag back? I don't think so.

Good grief. I don't think so, either.

I've never asked for a gift bag to be returned nor have I ever been asked to return a gift bag I've received. Like others, I consider part of the gift/gift wrapping. I *am* curious to hear the story behind the question, though. :bigear:

ETA: Ah, you were posting the story while I wrote my post. That other mom has issues. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Me too -- complete with giant handmade bow. I've been known to blow the family budget on ribbon...

Fortunately, the church where I used to work has a parishioner who owns a wrapping paper company. He gives case upon case of wrapping paper to the staff at Christmas. Not just Christmas paper, either -- all kinds, and super nice paper, too! For some bizarre reason, nobody on the staff ever wants more than a couple of rolls, so my old boss calls me when they've taken what they want, and I swoop in and snatch up the rest. I have enough wrapping paper to last me a hundred years (but I'll still take it when she calls in December!).

• Like 4

Part of the gift...unless it is from my mom, who lets me know when she is running low on bags and then takes them back with her (or I go grab a stack of bags from my stash to share). But that is totally a mom-only thing! :-)

Same with my mom :)  Christmas gift bags go back in her stash, but then we're opening presents there so it's not quite as weird.

Same! LOL

Going to go read the back story on this one, I'm sure it's good.

(Nobody I know ever returns a gift bag, but plenty of us re-use them.)

• Like 1

My godmother actually used to hand make gift bags. I actually got boxes of gift bags as gifts.  As in the bags were a gift to me.  They had themes and I could fit a bag to a person's hobby or personality.  So the bag was truely part of the gift.  So much so that I usually didn't sign the included matching hand made tag so that person could use the tag when they use the bag. 

Unfotunately, so often gifts didn't fit in the bag, or so much of our gifts had to be mailed so the bags weren't used as often as I would like.  But it was good that she made them, as I am not known for my 'let's painstakingly wrap and bow up this gift."  I am however know for wrapping things in tin foil.  (hey it comes on a roll, you don't need sissors or tape, you can write on it with sharpie and it looks cool and it's shiny!!)  Okay I also admit to wrapping a few kid gifts in papertowels (still attached together).  I'm a realist.  I work with what I've got and little kids can get a papertowel off quick! 

• Like 1

Good, I'm not the only one who considers it the gift wrap! It would never have occurred to me to ask for the gift bag back, but another mom made a bit of a big deal about it at a recent event. Seriously? Part of my hostessing duties include making sure everyone gets their gift bag back? I don't think so.

Whaaaaaat?????
  • Like 1

I have had another mom demand her bag back. I didn't know her well but I thought it was super tacky and i'm not even picky about etiquette.

Now, I would say to a good friend or close relative, "hey, can I snatch that bag back? I have another party tonight and it would save me a trip to the store" My friends are all really practical and that would be fine.

• Like 3