Menu

Trivial question of the day: What does "potluck" mean to you?

Ellie

269 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of food would you expect people to bring?

• Supper/dinner-type food: potatoes, salad, spaghetti, veggies, dessert, etc. IOW, a meal.
    • Assorted cheeses and crackers and dips. IOW, not a meal

You're planning an informal get-together with friends. It will be around 6:30-7 in the evening, at your home. The friend who's helping (primarily by sending out an e-vite, because she already has all the e-mails and everything set up) tells the friends that it will be a potluck (if you live in a region where it's called something else, such as a covered-dish, then imagine that wording instead).

There is no "other" choice, because there really is no "other" choice. :D

Sometimes when I go to a potluck, I bring fruit, or bread/cheese, or fruit and cheese because:

1. That's what I am going to eat and 2. I want to offer a lighter choice

The first time I brought fruit to a potluck, I was mortified. It was my boyfriend's idea and I just assumed he didn't understand how potlucks worked. What I learned is that people always, ALWAYS, appreciate and eat all of the fruit. Like, even a just a bag of cuties. It's weird, I know.

Eta: if it were not a group of people I knew, I would definitely bring a meal-type thing

• Like 11

To me it would mean a meal most of the time. However, I've been to potlucks featuring only finger foods, desserts, or dips/dipping items before. The best ever was a pie potluck.

If I answered the poll, I would choose both. A potluck can include main dishes, side dishes, desserts, or whatever the guest wants to share.

• Like 2

It doesn't mean either of those to me.  It means bring something to share and it could be anything from a casserole, a salad, a dessert, a fruit and cheese tray, crackers and spread, fruit and dip, hot veggie dish, some sort of potato dish, really anything even bread or a jar of pickles although that would be if you just had one person in your party.

• Like 12

In regard to 'a potluck', I've heard: Bring a dessert to share, bring finger food to share,bring a 'dish' to share.  If not otherwise specified, I would think dinner meal type food.  However, I think salad with assorted dressings, fruit, cheese plate, antipasto items would all qualify for 'dinner meal type food'. 

• Like 1

At that time of day, I'd expect the components to add up to supper. Usually at a home (versus a big church gathering), the host provides main dish/meat and others bring sides and desserts. We went to a potluck baseball team gathering where the host provided hot dogs and burgers, and everyone else signed up for desserts, sides, and drinks. Large church type things are usually more of a hodge podge.

• Like 3

I expect people to bring enough of something to fill up all the people that they bring. Obviously you wouldn't just eat cheese, but if you bring plenty for everyone, then I think that's good. There are plenty of things that contribute to making a meal and appetizer-type foods are part of that and welcome at potlucks I've been to (unless there are guidelines given with the invitation). Potlucks with just main dish sort of foods are boring to me.

• Like 1

At that time of day, I'd expect the components to add up to supper. Usually at a home (versus a big church gathering), the host provides main dish/meat and others bring sides and desserts. We went to a potluck baseball team gathering where the host provided hot dogs and burgers, and everyone else signed up for desserts, sides, and drinks. Large church type things are usually more of a hodge podge.

This exactly. 

And while I've never heard of a pie potluck before, it sounds like an excellent idea.

• Like 1

It doesn't mean either of those to me.  It means bring something to share and it could be anything from a casserole, a salad, a dessert, a fruit and cheese tray, crackers and spread, fruit and dip, hot veggie dish, some sort of potato dish, really anything even bread or a jar of pickles although that would be if you just had one person in your party.

Agree.  Unless otherwise specified by the host/hostess, I expect it means to bring a contribution of some sort- main dish, app, dessert, salad.

• Like 3

Going to one after church tomorrow. Some of our folks don't bring much food, and we often have visitors, so we tend to bring enough for double our family size. I am taking a crockpot of meatballs, rice, a big can of green beans and two kinds of ice cream.

Sometimes when I go to a potluck, I bring fruit, or bread/cheese, or fruit and cheese because:

The first time I brought fruit to a potluck, I was mortified. It was my boyfriend's idea and I just assumed he didn't understand how potlucks worked. What I learned is that people always, ALWAYS, appreciate and eat all of the fruit. Like, even a just a bag of cuties. It's weird, I know.

Eta: if it were not a group of people I knew, I would definitely bring a meal-type thing

I often bring a big bowl of fruit (cuties, too) to a potluck. Most of the potlucks I attend specify something like "bring a main dish plus a side or dessert" or "last names A-M" bring main dish, N-R bring side dish or salad..." to make sure everything is covered. I consider a bowl of fruit to be either a side dish or dessert. Though if there was no organization of any kind, I am not the person who will complain about having too many desserts. :D

I sometimes take fruit to a potluck.   I don't get why it's weird - either bringing fruit or people eating it.   People like fruit.

(Not potluck related but I have a group lunch at my house every month.  In the winter I always have a bowl of cuties out. They all get eaten.)

We have 'bring a plate' and it would depend on the time if day. For the funeral afternoon tea I was at yeaterday A it was cake, biscuits or fruit.At tea time it would be a main meal, salad, dessert etc. Cheese and crackers could be dessert. What is a cutie in relation to fruit?

• Like 2

You're planning an informal get-together with friends. It will be around 6:30-7 in the evening, at your home. The friend who's helping (primarily by sending out an e-vite, because she already has all the e-mails and everything set up) tells the friends that it will be a potluck (if you live in a region where it's called something else, such as a covered-dish, then imagine that wording instead).

There is no "other" choice, because there really is no "other" choice. :D

Am I the only one who wants to hear the story behind such a question?  :D

• Like 6

I would see cheese and crackers as one possibility for someone to bring to a potluck that would also include meal items, although a lot of them will lean more toward things like meatballs, ziti or chili.  I wouldn't expect to see steak or chicken or non-casserole vegetables at most potlucks unless it was more of a family style thing where each person provided part of the meal (and the dishes were assigned).

I know you said there was no "other," but to me, what I bring depends on the time of day or type of event. Sometimes potluck means appetizers. Sometimes it means something more substantial.

I take "pot luck" to mean it's not planned, no one is coordinating a menu, we will eat the luck of the draw. Funny thing about that, there's always someone who insists that everyone tell everyone else what they're bringing so there won't be duplicates. I get the logic of that, but then it ceases to be potluck.

I honestly can't think of what else to call it. I rarely hear either term (potluck/covered dish) used nowadays. With church groups we usually call it a fellowship meal. With other groups/friends, the host prepares a full meal or we go out to dinner. Or more casually, "bring a snack to share."

ETA I missed that you had actually given a time in your OP! I would definitely understand that meant I was to bring a dinnerish item (not a snack or appetizer).

If not otherwise specified at that time it is dinner. Which means pretty much anything from cheese and crackers to dessert is fine. If you were just planning appetizers you are going to need extra plates!

Am I the only one who wants to hear the story behind such a question?  :D

Ok, here's the story.

I'm part of a group at my Catholic church (I specify "Catholic" because I have begun to wonder if it has to do with Catholic vs not-Catholic, because this never, ever came up when I was with not-Catholics; a potluck was always a meal, unless it was a "dessert  luck," or specified as bringing finger foods). Twice now we've scheduled a "potluck", at dinner time, at my house, and both times I expected a dinner, and they brought finger foods. :huh: Not only had I prepared my own main dish, but the second time I had the *dining room* table set for a fancy Christmas dinner--the beautimous Christmas dishes, silverplate, goblets, double tablecloths (dark green over white), candles...and they came with finger foods. :huh: Bless their hearts. :lol:

So we're doing another get-together to welcome back a friend who had moved to Mexico and is now back in Texas, and I want to be sure that we all agree that it's either a *potluck*, as in a meal, or finger foods. I'm ok with either one, as long as we agree on it. And it weirds me out that we have to "agree" on it.

Hence the poll. Is it just me, or is it them? :laugh:

FTR, I never went to a single potluck in my entire life until I was an adult and became active in a church. :-)

ETA: I went back and read the evite, which I still have for some reason, and it said, "Potluck, dessert, and drinks." Does that sound like finger foods to y'all??

• Like 1

Ok, here's the story.

I'm part of a group at my Catholic church (I specify "Catholic" because I have begun to wonder if it has to do with Catholic vs not-Catholic, because this never, ever came up when I was with not-Catholics; a potluck was always a meal, unless it was a "dessert  luck," or specified as bringing finger foods). Twice now we've scheduled a "potluck", at dinner time, at my house, and both times I expected a dinner, and they brought finger foods. :huh: Not only had I prepared my own main dish, but the second time I had the *dining room* table set for a fancy Christmas dinner--the beautimous Christmas dishes, silverplate, goblets, double tablecloths (dark green over white), candles...and they came with finger foods. :huh: Bless their hearts. :lol:

So we're doing another get-together to welcome back a friend who had moved to Mexico and is now back in Texas, and I want to be sure that we all agree that it's either a *potluck*, as in a meal, or finger foods. I'm ok with either one, as long as we agree on it. And it weirds me out that we have to "agree" on it.

Hence the poll. Is it just me, or is it them? :laugh:

FTR, I never went to a single potluck in my entire life until I was an adult and became active in a church. :-)

This may be more of an area thing.  For example- in certain parts of PA, BBQ/cookout is sloppy joes.  

What time should we be expected for dinner? :lol:

• Like 1

We have 'bring a plate' and it would depend on the time if day. For the funeral afternoon tea I was at yeaterday A it was cake, biscuits or fruit.At tea time it would be a main meal, salad, dessert etc. Cheese and crackers could be dessert. What is a cutie in relation to fruit?

A small, easy-to-peel orange. Generally very juicy and on the sweet side for citrus. And delicious.

Normally potluck would mean "meal" to me but given the time I'd wonder if it meant snacks.

You don't usually eat a meal around 7:00?  I figure that's either most people's normal dinner time, or an hour or two later at most.  To early to need a snack.  I could see a "dessert pot luck" at that time, but not an appetizer/snack one.  

• Like 1

I sometimes take fruit to a potluck. I don't get why it's weird - either bringing fruit or people eating it. People like fruit.

(Not potluck related but I have a group lunch at my house every month. In the winter I always have a bowl of cuties out. They all get eaten.)

To me it was weird because the word "potluck" had a very specific definition, and it did not include a bowl of cuties :p I'm getting over it now, as the last couple of years we've been going to potlucks at least once each month!

• Like 1

We tend to eat earlier than 6:30  Most of my friends do too.  So I would ask if you wanted dinner or finger foods (for after dinner).  

Unless "finger foods" was specified, I would assume a dinner. 

Mr. Ellie and I usually eat earlier than that, too, but in this particular instance, several people would not have had the opportunity to eat earlier (see my ETA above) and the invitation said "Potluck, dessert, and drinks," which sounds like dinner to me. :-)

• Like 1

Although I voted "definitely a meal," I have sent tortilla chips and salsa to a very informal potluck barn party.  It was a complicated situation.  Long story short, it was not logistically possible for my kids to bring a hot dish.  The owners had said they would provide pizza for all, and my kids wouldn't eat any of the other food anyway, so I determined not to lose sleep over it.

• Like 2

http://sunpacific.com/cuties.html

From www.tangerineman.com:

"Mandarin" and "tangerine" are two words for the same thing, technically Citrus reticulata Blanco. They're called mandarins because they were thought to be native to China; they're called tangerines because they were thought to have come from Tangiers.

And, one more interesting link:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d389

• Like 1

To me a bunch of finger foods are actually a meal at times. But usually you only get away with "cheats" if you ask for forgiveness ahead of time. "So sorry, we have soccer that night, can I bring a bagged salad?"

• Like 1

I refuse to vote. The answer is "All of the above." It's the 'luck' part of potluck. Establishing specific rules makes it something else. It's bring what you want and plenty of it. Lots of people prefer a cheese platter over starchy filler, so whether it's a meal or side or snack there's usually someone who wants it. I consider it a potluck win if I go home with an empty dish.

• Like 11

the term "potluck" is not used in Australia, but the activity does.

it might be called a BBQ, or a Casserole supper or even a picnic, these terms give the guests clues on what to bring. if it is a BBQ then meat and salads, if a casserole supper then  a casserole and desert, if it is picnic then picnic type foods.

The only time I have ever heard the term "potluck" is on this forum.

"Mandarin" and "tangerine" are two words for the same thing, technically Citrus reticulata Blanco. They're called mandarins because they were thought to be native to China; they're called tangerines because they were thought to have come from Tangiers.

they are two completely different types of citrus here in Australia

• Like 1