Menu

Part-time jobs for teenagers: yay or nay?

Wabi Sabi

Do you have strong feelings one way or the other about teenagers having part time jobs? Do you have a teen who works? If so, what kind of job and hours?

On the other hand, if you feel strongly about teens not working, how do you handle their discretionary spending? I'm talking about things like money for going out with friends, movies, dating, clothing other than what you provide, etc?

I don't have hard and fast rules on this.  I expected my teens to have summer jobs, but I didn't really want them working during the school year.  I expected them to put their efforts into studies and extra curriculars.  When they were younger, they cut grass in the summer and shoveled walks in the winter.  When they were old enough to be employed, the economy tanked and the jobs typically taken by teens were often filled by adults who were out of work.  It was hard for even the most ambitious kids to find summer jobs.  The only jobs left were to work as camp counselors and my kids were not a good fit for that kind of job. 

We provided for their needs and gave them a little spending money.  They were very frugal kids so they didn't to a lot of expensive things or want expensive stuff.  They used gift money for bigger things they wanted. Dd does a lot of babysitting so that she can have spending money.  She has a more varied social life and needs a little more cash than my older two did.

It depends on what else they are doing. When I was in high school, I was expected to work once I stopped intensive extracurriculars. I was also expected to do something during the summers, whether it was volunteering or working regularly. I couldn't sit at home and do nothing.

I believe teenagers need to have meaningful activities in their lives. Those include academics, sports, music, volunteer work and, for some, paid jobs. I do not believe teenagers must have paid jobs in order to become responsible adults. I never had a job as a teen, and have always been able to manage my finances and have a great work ethic.

My DS started working last summer and is working two afternoons a week during the school year. After his school work, he had a lot of free time that was not put to productive use, so I applaud and support his decision to work.

DD did not have a regular paid job during high school. She carried a heavy academic load and also volunteered at the tutoring center of the university. They pay the regular tutors, but because she was not a full time student, they could not pay her. She loved it, was extremely good at it, and learned a lot.

My kids have always received an allowance that depends on what part of their expenses they are responsible for. A kid who needs to pay for meals away from home because she is on a college campus every day during the week needs more money than a kid whose sole expense are new video games.

I'm pro job :D  and am currently badgering my oldest to find herself one.  As their "luxury" spending increases, so does my desire for them to work.  

My younger two both have fairly regular childcare gigs.  They love having a little extra spending money.  They are really looking forward to being able to drive so they can get regular part-time jobs and begin saving for college, cars, and first apartments.  

My oldest is in no such hurry.  We haven't really pushed much until now.  But she is 18, and her school load is such that she can easily find time for a job.  She needs to pay for her gas and car insurance.  

I have very strong feelings that teens should hold a part-time job and buy some of their own material wishes.  Based on my own experience, it offers so many lessons and benefits.  I started working young as a babysitter and later more formally in an established business, the day I turned 16).  It gave me money that allowed me to buy things that my family couldn't provide, sure.  But it also gave me a work ethic that served me well.  I had a strict boss that fired people for being a minute or two late or for other minor infractions, so I learned to show up on time and keep my nose productively busy.  Enough that it impressed my boss in my first career job enough to mention it.  The jobs I held were menial (a cashier in a deli and a caretaker of plants in a greenhouse), but that and my education got me a very nicely-paying job because of the fact I had worked with plants, of all things!  That first job was working on plant-based flavors for a food company, but I had no idea that greenhouse job would get me a better-paying job someday, which in turn led to other nicely-paid job offers after that. 

I don't have teens, but my DD works as a pet-sitter and has recently picked up some not-too-intense babysitting jobs.  I expect both kids to work in their teens, but I think more than 10-15 hours a week starts to interfere with their studies and have adverse effects.

I encourage it. I don't push a lot of hours though.

Dd started with having a pet care/dog walking business. She started that first with only our immediate neighbor at 9. She added a few more neighbors over the years. When she was 13, put a flier out in our neighborhood at the beginning of the summer and added plant care while people went on vacation. She did a lot in the summer and only very occassional the rest of the year.

At 15 she got her first official position as a substitute lifeguard for our HOA. Then, at 16, she started teaching swim lessons at our community center. She works 3 hours a week. She will increase the hours in the summer.

Dd has always managed her own money and is a very good saver.

Dd has also had two longterm volunteer positions.

My oldest didn't follow through with looking for work. Now he's been trying to get a job for 1.5 years and hasn't landed anything. He just turned 20. Dh often gave him money (over my wishes) for several years. Dh stopped doing that 2 years ago. Ds doesn't ask anymore. He has gotten $100 checks from nana for birthday and Christmas, but that's it. We don't know why ds hasn't been able to land a job. He's had several interviews. Honestly, I think no one wants to deal with an adult who has never worked. Ds attends cc, which we do pay for. He doesn't drive--cc is on my way to work so he gets a ride without inconveniencing me. He has a dumb phone. We pay for the dumb phone on my plan with dd dumb phone and my dumb phone. Ds is 2 E and immature, but is now figuring out he has a serious problem in the job department.

Part time jobs not likely. I don't see any teenagers being hired even at Target now which uses to have high school students working as cashiers.

Internships or volunteer work in their area of interest would be encouraged. Work experience is useful as a part of character building.

It's unlikely we would pay for dating. Group outings and other misc spendings would come out of discretionary spending allowances. My kids get allowances which they spend on toys and/or food of their choice.

Both hubby and I didn't work as teens. My dad helped in family business and my mum didn't work. My MIL worked full time as a teen and my FIL helped out in family business.

ETA:

Hubby and my school days were 7:30am to 4:30pm Mon-Fri. School holidays was tied up by band competitions, academic competitions and just prepping for the next school semester.

It's possible to squeeze in tutoring but not part time jobs at retial or fast food.

I don't feel strongly about it one way or another.  But if I had a 16+ that had lots of free time (i.e. not committed to serious extra curricular activities and/or spending lots of time on school work/academics), I would push pretty hard for it.  Even my 14 year old has to have something to do in the evenings at least 3-4 nights a week for his sanity and mine.  Whether or not it was a paying job is not a big deal to me.  Teens can advertise to baby sit, shovel, mow lawns, do odd jobs, etc or do volunteer work too.  We do definitely have some high school jobs around.  My 2 high school age nieces both have jobs locally.  One works at a Chinese restaurant and the other works at American Eagle (retail clothing store).

ETA - I did have a number of seasonal and more permanent jobs as a teen.  I worked at a fast food restaurant and when they set the requirement that every student employee had to close up one night a week and one weekend night, I quit and my parents encouraged me to do so.  My academics (and extra curricular activities for that matter) were way more important that getting in another 10 hours a week and working until 11 pm on a weeknight. 

Seasonal jobs can be awesome.  I always worked our Ren Fest here.  I would get like 24 hours in on a weekend for 6 weeks.  Had a ton of fun, lots of teens working there, and made enough spending/saving money for some time. 

I do wonder about this a lot, and perhaps it's different for homeschooled teens than PS teens.  When I was in HS (years and years ago), I was taking the max load of AP and honors classes, and not a single student on that track had a part-time job during the school year.  Between all the homework, papers, and studying, there just wasn't time.  I did babysit occasionally for family friends on weekends, but I'd end up bringing my homework with me!  I also volunteered through my church, but it was only a couple of hours a week and most of it was on weekends.

It's great if you can find them but I rarely see teens working the sorts of jobs I had and I know a lot of teens who can't get hired.

Yup.  Ds has gone door to door with resumes and has had two interviews but it is very hard to get hired.  And I don't think it is just him as we've heard from lots of teens who tell the same story.  He does volunteer regularly and has good reviews from his volunteer boss.  

ETA:  He gets spending money by doing yardwork for me that is beyond the usual "helping the family" variety.

Changing my past vote of nay to yay....

Ds did odd jobs during high school and college, but not a "real" job. And it was impossible to get through the online computer job application process after graduation. He kept getting thrown out. It is not good to be in your 20s with no work experience that translates.... This, along with the economy, has forced him to take jobs he could have gotten in high school. The potential new job interviewer won't call the person you occasionally did yard work for, etc. Dd has already had a few internships, and her college employs her during the summer for projects. So it will be better for her. You do not want your very first job to be the big one after college, where you want to impress, rather than show how "green" you are.

Well, I don't have kids old enough to work yet (in the paying-job-sort-of-way, anyway! :P ) but I think I'm pro-work.  I can't say I feel really strongly about it, and obviously things may change as they get older and we get to see what it's 'really' like.  

But both DH and I worked as teenagers (graduated in 99 and 00) and we enjoyed it.  I'm sure plenty of people will say that it's a lot different now, and I guess it could be, but it really doesn't seem like it from what I've seen of teenagers I know.  If they are taking a heavy class load then they seem to have the same amount of time as similar students did 15 years ago... *shrug*

I guess it depends on the circumstances.  I can't see an extracurricular ever trumping work unless it's something they plan on doing professionally or in college.  I also can't really imagine their school work being so much that they wouldn't have time for a job - but like I said, that's just what I'm thinking right now.

Overwhelmingly, yes. Our teens have learned so much about life from their part-time jobs, things they were less inclined to believe just because mom and dad told 'em so.

They have rubbed elbows with the most interesting people, people who have inspired them, bewildered them, frustrated them. They have learned that money hard-earned should be managed wisely, yet to be generous when a need arises because they have the ability to go to work another day and earn that money again. They appreciate more the days of rest that come, and will come, fewer and farther between as they age into lives with greater responsibilities.

Is it a hassle for our family schedule? Yes. It's hard getting everyone available on the same days at the same times. But, as a family, we have learned a new appreciation for when those precious days come.

They don't have to start out with twenty hours a week. Determine what a reasonable minimum amount of work time would be, for your family, and go from there.

I vote for teens having jobs. My brothers and sisters and I all worked as teenagers. Our parents couldn't afford to give us an allowance and we were expected to do chores as part of the family anyway. We were expected to pay for our own cars, gas, insurance, and cell phones. Our parents didn't pay for those things. They would drive us to work if we didn't have a car yet but if we worked close to home we were expected to walk or ride our bikes. Between the 8 of us we worked a variety of jobs both for others and for ourselves - teaching music lessons, selling baked goods, babysitting, mowing lawns, retail, cleaning up for painters or carpenters, milking cows, cleaning houses, gym receptionist, UPS, mucking stalls at a horse stable....There's a lot that kids can do but sometimes you have to think outside the box and look in unusual places.

Working taught us important skills in time management and money management. It also helped us learn adult skills and independence BEFORE we actually needed those things. I think it also made it easier for us to get jobs as adults since we had experience and our work history demonstrated a good work ethic. I hope my kids can get jobs when they're old enough for all of those reasons.

I am very pro job for highschool kids.  Dh and I both starting working, and working A  LOT at age 11.  Before that he was mowing lawns and I was babysitter.  In the summers, we both had 30-40 hour a week jobs by age 12.  I know things were different back then and we were more rural so farm jobs were open to us.........blueberry picking, washing vegetables, working in the evergreen nursery, etc.  By 16 I had a part time job in a nursing home as a kitchen aide and by 17 was a cook....making meals for 126 residents complete with special diets.

Our situation is a bit different with our kids as in they all have special needs. Oldest 2 have IQs in the 50s so realistically in this economy they are not going to be able to get jobs.  DS though does help me with the foster kids and works around the house and for both widowed grandmas.  He will be starting more regularly to help out at our church's thrift store as well.  Both of my girls work 2 hours a day as part of their highschool program.

I understand the economy really stinks in many areas and jobs can be very tough to come by but if they can't find a job, I would be making sure they did some meaningful volunteer work somewhere on a regular schedule.  I think it is important for them to work under others, learn to get along with co-workers, maintain a schedule, etc.

I don't care one way or the other as long as the teen is engaged in something meaningful and not just lounging around. Our kids did theater during their high school years and that took 20+ hours a week. So neither worked a regular job during that time. They have jobs at school, but it's fairly minimal, around ten hours a week, which is plenty to provide spending money but not make it difficult to keep up their grades. 

We lived in an area that is very economically depressed and part time jobs are very hard to come by.  So far when our kids have had summer breaks they haven't worked, and we're ok with that because our family lives 900 miles away and we do a lot of travel in summer. It's nice to have these young adults come with us, and we know it's not going to last much longer.  

Even though our kids didn't work in high school, they quickly adapted to the workforce when they got jobs. So it's all worked out well. 

I don't know how dd is supposed to find the time. She doesn't get home from school until 4:30pm and then she has homework, dinner, shower, and sleep. She sleeps 10pm to 6am and has school 8:20am-3:20pm but school is an hour away. There is a bit of free time to hang out with us but it's not enough to work a job. The summers are filled with volunteering since it's needed for school and scholarships here.

Team yay!

Dh and I both feel that having jobs as teens was a very good boost towards maturity and independence (we both worked probably 10-15hrs a week, more in holidays, since age 15), we both graduated with good marks, had time for social and extra curriculars.

Our kids, being homeschooled, will ideally have more opportunity to combine teen work with a passion or career track. They will at least have jobs being apprenticed with dh.

Eta- we would do a full day shift on the weekend and a couple of 3 or 4 hour evening shifts during the week, getting home around 10pm or so.

We both allow and encourage our teens to work.  It really boost their maturity and responsibility, and they need the money since we have a large family with a single income.  My children start working at places like fast food/grocery stores at 16, and earlier than that they house sit, mow lawns, babysit, etc. 

Depends on the kid. Right now my youngest (18) finishing her senior year has gotten her first school year job.  She has worked the past two summers via our Park District (my future Leslie Knope! dd hates it when i tease her thus) at the soccer field concession stands, and since she is now an "older" employee she got the winter jig of manning the city outdoor ice rink.  It averages out to just about 10 - 14 hours per week, not too much, but covers her gas, Starbucks, etc.

Her older sister started working at age 16 p/t at Sears, more hours, BUT she was never academically inclined.  She is 21 now, and has worked as a full-time, full benefits employee at a local company for over a year while taking cc classes p/t. 

We encouraged our kids to have part-time jobs during the school year, and probably would have insisted on it during the summer but they took initiative themselves. 

However, the amount of hours really wasn't very important, and during the school year, we advised them to go very lightly on hours.  Also, during times of the year when they were especially busy, they usually took time off from their jobs and we encouraged them to do that.  So, during their sport season, or during the 2-3 months of school musical practice, etc., they would often take off from work.  (They were all fortunate in that they had employers who let them do that.)

I think it is a major plus.  I'm not sure I'd require it but I'd encourage it as long as the individual was mature enough to handle it along with her other responsibilities.

The question of money would also depend on maturity / responsibility.  Kids need some to manage.  If they don't have a job, I could "hire" them to do some regular work for pay.  If they have a job making more than a "fun money" amount, we'd talk about saving or I'd consider charging "room and board" to force saving if they weren't good at that.

I generally worked as a teen (regularly from age 13), and that is where I got my "pocket money."

I think it's WAY harder for teens at a b&m school.

My dd attends a b&m school, in an IBprogram--she's no slouch academically. She also manages to fit hours of ballet study. It's the hours of dc ballet that make her keep her part time work down to just Saturday mornings during the school year. I know another young woman who is a senior IB diploma candidate, who is working 15+ hours a week.

It is harder because so much of their time is accounted for. However good students are often good time management specialists. My dd and this other girl have the highest paid jobs teens get ( swim instructor and lifeguard) . There are several indoor pools in my area. The one were they work has probably the highest pay and the managers tend to be flexible about schedules. These things are well known so it can be competitive to be hired there.

Homeschooled teens have more flexibility in work hours, but they still need to be good time managers. If they are taking cc classes they definitely need to manage their time, but they do still have more blocks of time in a week available to work.

I am very pro seasonal jobs.  I had them as a kid and they were wonderful for me.  I worked at the major league ballpark.  It started when I was 14 under an arrangement between the ballpark and the church youth group.  We could call up and say "I'd like to work today" and because we had such a good rep, they'd take us.  The money went to the church and then the money went to our ski trip account.   I was so proud that I was able to pay for a ski trip entirely myself every year.  At 16, that turned into a regular job.  One huge benefit for me was that it gave me another social group and exposure to people of various ages, which as a public school kid, I really needed.  Actually, I met my first homeschooling parent while working there.  She was a lovely lady, and more than once I accidentally called her Mother.  

I don't have teens yet, but I lean towards no. I just don't think there are enough hours in the day to do everything that is meaningful -- plus sell some of their time as cheap labour. I'd rather they visit a grandparent or enjoy a sport or learn something new or invest in a hobby if they have spare time. Schoolwork seems like enough 'work' for work-ethic-development purposes.

As for $, I plan on a silly scheme of teaching money management by providing-in-theory a colossal allowance, then 'deducting' realistic costs of living and savings, resulting in enough personal money for discretionary spending.

I think it's WAY harder for teens at a b&m school.

Definitely!

I worked a lot as a teen.  I basically had no life because of it.  No time for clubs, sports, extras, hanging out with friends, etc.  School and work.  That was it all the time.  Missing every holiday.  Missing every school event.  Missing every family event. 

It's a big reason I wouldn't push my kid to get a job or work too much.

We're in an area where teen jobs were mostly taken by adults or hired by word of mouth. 30 minutes in either direction there are jobs, but for gas $, it's not feasible to drive for a few hours of work. I worked when I was teen, when I realize how young I was, it's kind of eye-opening. Ds can't do physically hard work due to a health issue, so yards and snow shoveling are out. 

His current job is "grandpa sitting" while I run my mom on errands. My dad had surgery recently and needs someone there all the time just in case. My mom doesn't drive, so it works out for both of us. He's earning some spending money - I didn't want them to pay him, but they have on most times. 

Do you have strong feelings one way or the other about teenagers having part time jobs? Do you have a teen who works? If so, what kind of job and hours?

On the other hand, if you feel strongly about teens not working, how do you handle their discretionary spending? I'm talking about things like money for going out with friends, movies, dating, clothing other than what you provide, etc?

I think it's never too early for children to learn to be responsible and that they will need to be self-supporting when they are adults (and possibly family supporting).

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, it would depend on the kid...

However, teen jobs around here are few and far between these days.  The mall(s) stores that were once staffed by teens now are staffed by people my age...  Even our summer places like ice-cream places tend to choose adults with more flexable schedules.

I'll admit, we give a good allowance, even with dd in college. 

The summer jobs program here means teens get to work in all kinds of government. It's intended for low income kids, but I'm pretty sure it's actually accessible to all teens in the city. I feel like if they couldn't find a different job, that working at the parks department (the biggest summer employer - there are teens in every freaking corner of the parks planting things, lifeguarding, helping with summer camps, picking up trash, answering the phones in the parks offices, etc.) for a couple of months at 16 is probably a great way to get a start and have something on your resume for the next job.

I think that working pt is a very valuable experience.

However.

Diva has been asking about getting one, and I've said no, b/c she's not balancing her online courses well as it is. Adding more to her plate sounds like a recipe for disaster. As soon as she shows that she can keep up w/her work on time, then she'll be encouraged to get a job.

I don't want my teens working in a repetitive job where they're not really learning skills after the first few weeks.

Well, I do think some teens/young adults that are bright, but not motivated can learn that maybe they don't want to do that kind of work forever and it might serve as a kick in the pants in a way that a nagging parent can't.  Kids might be learning about communication skills, team work, paychecks, money management, etc. which are all valuable lessons that can be applied in many areas.

Internships are awesome for kids that can get them, and it usually is a focused, motivated kid out looking for and getting that kind of thing.  I just can see the value in many types of work for teens.  I actually think some extra curricular activities and volunteer work can be good for many of these skills as well.  There is no one size fits all. 

I just wouldn't undersell some more repetitive jobs.  I have a 17 year old niece working retail.  This girl has hardly uttered a sentence her entire life, but she's crazy smart (invited to all manner of GT camps/special events/etc).  She has really been forced to come out of her shell and learn to chat just selling jeans.  For what she wants to pursue at college, that is a huge boost for her.  I'm pretty sure she will not be successful in her chosen field without being confident and able to sell herself and her ideas.

When my husband and I first dated and first had children, we said no, for sure. We felt that working was a big distraction for us when young.

Then, we had children and no one else's children worked around here, and our children took all AP classes and we did not want that distraction, so, we still said no.

THEN, one day, we felt we made a huge mistake as we heard typical "millennial" stuff out of our children like "I am worth more than that" and a general arrogance and lack of appreciation. Then we wanted them to work.

SO...in other words..I have no firm answer. My children are like experiments. Perhaps by the time I die, I will have the answer to this question. Now I will go read what others have to say. 

I enjoyed my repetitive jobs.  Very low stress once I got a rhythm.  The last thing a teen in school needs is more stress.  :)  And still I learned how to be a contributing employee / team member.  These were also good social experiences for me.  And there's nothing like earning your own money.  :)  Now there may be some youths who can't abide repetitive work, but I wouldn't assume even smart kids want to be mentally challenged all the time.

My idea of a good teen job would be a one- or two-day per week part-time job.  That would leave most evenings open for all the other things teens want/need to do.  I would prefer a job at an establishment that has the ability to promote youths to positions of increasing responsibility if they are ready for that.