Menu

What to do with wedding rings after a divorce?

elegantlion

We had matching bands and I had a small diamond solitaire. I will never wear them again and I have no desire to have the diamond reset. Ex still wears his ring, not sure why, not sure I care either. They have little resale value, like less than $100 and I feel like selling them or even giving them away is not right because they're symbolic of a failed marriage (or a marriage that failed - it wasn't always bad). I don't want to pass them down to ds either, he won't care, and I don't want to hold onto them forever as I'm trying to minimize those things I hang onto for sentimental value. 

So if you've dealt or known someone who has, how do you approach that issue?  

I almost feel like having a burial for them, put them in a nice box with a letter and let someone in the next hundred years find them. My parents have 5 acres that would be perfect. I know it sounds weird, but it many ways I think it'd be very cathartic. 

In your situation, I'd bury them.

A friend of mine had a really nice ring, and she sold it to a professional friend jeweler for the value of the gold and the diamond.  She needed the $ after a very messy divorce, so that worked for her.  One of my relatives did the same.

I am a very practical person, so I know that I would sell them. That's just me. I think you have to do whatever gives you the most closure.

But, remember they are just things and while symbolic to you of a failed marriage, they are symbolic of nothing to the person who buys them. They will become symbolic to them based on what they do with them after the purchase. So, you aren't passing on anything but gems and metals, nothing more. The symbolism will be new for the new wearer. Therefore, if you need the money, don't give it a second thought. Then again, if it bothers you a lot, go ahead and bury them.

My dad had given my mom a beautiful solitaire. She returned it when they divorced. 20 some years later when my brother got married, my stepmom (she raised us) had it made into a tie tac for him. Even though it had belonged to our mom it didn't feel symbolic of our parents wedding.

Stepmom has given all of us kids a nice piece of jewelry that was passed on in some way when we married so it felt right. I have no idea what happened to the bands.

I think a burial ceremony could be healing for you.

My parents were divorced but my dad kept his ring and I got it when he died. Yes, their marriage failed but that ring still means something to me because they were happy when I was born.

I saved my rings after I divorced. They are cheap and I can't imagine I'd get much for them. I don't know if dd wants them or not, but I told them they are hers if she wants them. The diamond in the solitaire is tiny but might make a nice necklace if added to something else.

Oh, my mom took her diamond earrings and her solitaire and had them made into a new ring that she still wears.

Many years ago I was engaged and that went very badly. I sold that ring and used the money to have a fun experience/event. The happiness from the event helped with the pain of that relationship.   Fast forward a bit and my current diamond from dh was bought used and reset. He was happy to save a bit of money and I've never given it a thought as to where the ring came from.

So if you sell it maybe the diamond will make someone else happy. But in the end do what is going to make you feel the best. There are no wrong answer for this choice.

I kept the rings from my first marriage for a while after the divorce then one day I looked at the box they were in as I was unpacking from a move. I took them to the beach and tossed them in the ocean. I had been unsure of what I wanted to do with them until that day. Keep them until you are certain what you want to do with them.

Whatever you do, don't tie them to a helium balloon and let it go, because someone will find them in his backyard, post all over Facebook trying to find you, and local media types will track you down and reunite you with something you didn't want anyway.

True story. Happened in Alabama a year or so ago, much to the apparent annoyance of the person who was trying to get rid of her rings.

My friend has her divorced mother's engagement ring. She wears it on a chain and says it is really special to her.

My mother wears her divorced mother's wedding ring, too. My mom never spoke to her father after the divorce that happened when she was 13 (she told him, "When you walk out that door, you cease to be my father.") and I think there was some healing that happened between her and her mother when she decided to wear the ring. Her father was killed in a tragic motorcycle accident when my mother was 21 and trying to pull together the courage to contact him again.

Whatever you do, don't tie them to a helium balloon and let it go, because someone will find them in his backyard, post all over Facebook trying to find you, and local media types will track you down and reunite you with something you didn't want anyway.

True story. Happened in Alabama a year or so ago, much to the apparent annoyance of the person who was trying to get rid of her rings.

I just read one where a hiker found a ring in a tree. I don't remember all the details, just that the ring was lost unintentionally many many years ago.  the finder was eventually able to track down the children of the owner.

I think the ring from my first marriage is in a box somewhere.  It was very cheap and probably worthless but every now and then I think of taking it to a jeweler to sell it.  Maybe I'd get enough to take the kids out to lunch or something. 

But I think you should do what you think best.  The only caution I would have against burying it is - if it is more valuable than you think, you may later regret not having it to sell if you ever need the money.    Well, I guess what I mean is - that is what would keep me from burying it, tossing it into the ocean, etc.

About 6 months before I filed for divorce my now Xh bought me a caret solitaire for our 25 th anniversary. I didn't have a problem with my original engagement and wedding band but looking at that solitaire made me ill. So I took it off before the divorce was even final ( although I kept my wedding band on).

It is a beautiful ring. Now 6 years later it doesn't make me want to vomit! LOL. I can't wear it again of course, but I am saving it for ds. I figure it will be an awesome engagement ring......and I do not believe either one of them will see it as a symbol of a failed marriage. But if they don't want it I might then sell it.

Time changes a lot of things and our kids see things differently than we do. I was careful to not share with my son the disgust I once felt when I looked at that ring.

But I think if you want to bury them then go right ahead.

Dh sold his for $250 and bought his son a gun.

Mine are not worth much monetary wise but I still have mine.  I put my engagement ring and wedding ring in a ring box on the top shelf of my closet.  If either of my kids from that marriage want them one day, they are theirs.  Dd15 has expressed some interest, she has a picture on her dresser of her dad and I during our wedding ceremony.  ANd both have indicated they want the rest of the wedding pictures one day when they move out so I just keep hanging on to this stuff for them.  IF they change their minds and don't want them down the line no biggy. then I will sell them on kijiji or something.

I have my mother's rings from my parents failed marriage.  Those rings and a little engraved silver plate are really all I have to "know" they were ever together.  (no photos exist).  So, I'm personally glad my mom didn't destroy those things and let me have them.  Then again, I have zero memories of them being together.

I think ritual is very important and I love the idea of burying them, or tossing them in the sea, or what not.

I'd also consider keeping the ring for my daughter or son should they ever want it....and perhaps gifting it to them on a 16th birthday or some other special day saying "while my marriage did not last as long as I had thought it would when I got married, it gave me the most wonderful gift, you!  You are so special and I want you to have this as a remembrance of that.  A reminder to always look for the diamond/sparkly thing even when things are not going well."

I sold my 1.1 carat solitaire to my mother, who had it reset and wore it, then put it in a safe deposit box.  I think she was just being generous to me as I was a single mom to a toddler at the time.  It is still in a safe deposit box and will come back to me at some point after my father's passing.

My current dh sold his ring at a gold buying store some years after his divorce.

Is there a cause you support?  Donate the rings.  I think it will feel good.  :)

Bury them if you wish, as well.  They are yours to do with as you see fit.

My mom was engaged to someone, not my dad, when I was a toddler.  The relationship ended, amicably, due to circumstances beyond their control.  I don't even remember him.  But I love that ring.  I think it represents my mom's happiness when she received it.  It doesn't mean much to her, but its one of my favorite things.  She gave it to me as a wedding gift, and I'm so glad to have it.

Often rings are worth a lot less than you realize because the value is based on what style is popular when.

My grandmother's ring was bought for $10K in the 80s and appraised at 2.5K a few years back. $2K of that was the stone, $500 or so was the platinum setting. So, while it is "real money", it was a lot less than anyone in the family expected.

Getting an appraisal might help you decide what to do.

As someone who's very anti-divorce I'd have no qualms about wearing a ring that's been involved in one. I see no reason not to sell it. If I buy it from you then it's mine and a part of my marriage, not a part of your divorce. Besides, if someone wants a ring that hasn't been involved in a divorce they can pay top dollar for one. I have no opinion on what you should do, but don't worry about it's history because some people won't care.

I sold my 1.1 carat solitaire to my mother, who had it reset and wore it, then put it in a safe deposit box.  I think she was just being generous to me as I was a single mom to a toddler at the time.  It is still in a safe deposit box and will come back to me at some point after my father's passing.

My current dh sold his ring at a gold buying store some years after his divorce.

Is there a cause you support?  Donate the rings.  I think it will feel good.  :)

Bury them if you wish, as well.  They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Paula! You could be one of those red kettle stories! Perfect time of year to drop them in a Salvation Army bucket! 

Sell the set on diamondbistro.com.

To the OP...do what your heart tells you, but I agree with waiting a year or so.  In a year, maybe your son would be interested.

to trulycrabby: I wonder if I am the only other person here who knows that place...I love that place.

Note to self: Spend day looking for jewelry in the ocean.

OP, I fully agree with everyone else about giving it a moment, then doing whatever feels right to you. And just for the record I prefer vintage, used jewelry because I love the idea of a piece of jewelry having a varied life with stories to tell. Which sounds way weird now that I said it out loud...

I kept the rings from my first marriage for a while after the divorce then one day I looked at the box they were in as I was unpacking from a move. I took them to the beach and tossed them in the ocean. I had been unsure of what I wanted to do with them until that day. Keep them until you are certain what you want to do with them.

I can just imagine the joy some Hobbit-crazed kid might experience while playing at the beach one day!

Haven't read all the replies but my failed marriage has broken my heart and I still haven't recovered. I only had a gold band but I took a hammer to mine and flattened it. Made me feel better temporarily. I kept imagining driving over it so that was the next best thing.

Haven't read all the replies but my failed marriage has broken my heart and I still haven't recovered. I only had a gold band but I took a hammer to mine and flattened it. Made me feel better temporarily. I kept imagining driving over it so that was the next best thing.

(((Hugs)))) it does get better. I promise.

I kept mine because I figured one of my daughters may want it one day.  It isn't worth much, but I did wear it when I married their father.

It just sits in my jewelry box.  I barely think of it.

Actually, I had two.  The original and the one I upgraded two several years into the marriage.  The original I still have.  The upgrade "mysteriously" disappeared.  I'm fairly certain it ended up in a pawn shop somewhere, courtesy of my ex.  I really don't care.  

I kept mine because I figured one of my daughters may want it one day.  It isn't worth much, but I did wear it when I married their father.

It just sits in my jewelry box.  I barely think of it.

Actually, I had two.  The original and the one I upgraded two several years into the marriage.  The original I still have.  The upgrade "mysteriously" disappeared.  I'm fairly certain it ended up in a pawn shop somewhere, courtesy of my ex.  I really don't care.  

Maybe he is saving it for   one of your daughters.  LOL....probably not huh?