Menu

What is on top of your fridge?

saraha

We have kind of high ceilings in our kitchen and my fridge is not built in.  Up until today, junk and confiscated toys lived on top of it, but no more!  No it looks strange with all that empty space up there.  So I was wondering what other people have on top of their fridges.

A pair of matching see-through wicker baskets with fruits and vegetables.  I used to keep a bunch of junk up there because it didn't fit anywhere else when we lived in apartments, but I always hated the cluttered look.  Now that I have a house with a decent kitchen I steer away from that.  I wouldn't even keep the fruit baskets there except with a toddler in the house those things tend to disappear and then show up in random places weeks later with little teeth marks in them. :glare:

My grain mill is in back, but not so far I can't reach it. Beside it is the blender. In front are two or three unopened rolls of paper towels to the right and easy-to-grab tetra paks of chicken stock to the left. In the middle, also easy-to-grab, is the egg steamer, frequently used.

We have a useless cabinet up there which collects things we never use and really need to get rid of :001_smile:  On the top of the fridge itself are my two crockpots (1 big / 1 small) which are used all the time. We also keep my dd's bread up there (she's the only one not GF here).She has her bread and a pack of tortillas up there.

Usually my crock pot and bread machine live on top of my fridge. But we just remodeled and I have those things elsewhere and I love the uncluttered look.   It's a lot of empty space and it needs something up there but not a crock pot. It needs something decorative.  Sadly I have no decorating gene. I have a quilt on the wall in the kitchen and a small embroidered sampler my mom made.   The house is 135 years old- if anyone knows what kind of decorative item I should put up there, I'd be grateful. 

The large metal baking pan that is too big for the cupboard - it, in turn, holds two metal water bottles and the big bag of extra large dental chews for the Labrador.  Also living on the 'fridge are two plastic pitchers - useful for not just drinks but more often soup!, the container of dry dog food (filled in turn from a huge covered bin kept elsewhere), Comet cleaner, and generic Windex.

I love cut glass that has a pinwheel design in it.  To keep the top from being cluttered, I went to a local thrift shop and bought a huge fruit bowl and matching vase.  Then at a garage sale, I found a beautiful little glass oil bottle with a stopper on top.  Those three things sit up there looking pretty.  When they get dusty, I toss them into the dishwasher.

A lot of dust for sure. Boxes of cereal & Ziplocs, a bottle of goldschlager left from many years ago that I keep around for medicinal use {nothing clears gunk in the lungs for me quite as good}, and a new in box corn dog maker that we haven't used yet.

I debated putting a potted plant up there a while back, but figured potted plant + young acrobatic cat would = big mess.

So much....We have a tiny kitchen with almost no storage space, so the top of the fridge holds a lot! Ice cream maker, food processor, popcorn maker, large dutch oven, crock pot and currently 3 dancing Christmas stuffed singing animals (Santa, squirrel and snowman). 

Toy jail! If my kids bring toys to the table, it goes to toy jail on the top of the fridge for a day. Now that the kids are older, toy jail has mostly been retired but occasionally they will try to sneak something to the table to test if I will still put the toys under arrest.

When 'Everybody Loves Raymond' first came on, I was childless.  I remember seeing the top of Debra and Ray's fridge covered in cereal boxes and chip bags.  I though "how messy".  Ha!  Now with kids my fridge looks just like theirs.