Menu

Do you think of Quinn as a boy name or a girl name?

T'smom

The title pretty much sums it up. I was sure I was having a girl partly because I was so struck with the name Quinn and I was just so. Sure. that was what was meant to be. He's not a girl! So we abandoned that name but we have not come up with anything else we like. When I shared that this morning with some other friends, they were surprised and said they thought of Quinn as a boy name. So.....what do you think?

I know several girls named Quinn, so I'm thinking that the girls are taking it over now.  For that reason, I'd be hesitant to name a boy that as this point.  I do know of a boy named Quinn though, and I like it for him as well.

I actually think it works for either a boy or a girl, but once people start using it as a girl's name, it usually becomes rare to be used for a boy anymore.  

I'm not sure if it's regional, but here in New England I know lots of girls named Quinn and only one male with the name.

It's similar to the name Kelly. When we traveled to England all the Kelley's we met were male, but here I wouldn't dream of naming a boy Kelley. I think geography plays a big part in the name game. If Quinn is a boy's name where you live, then go for it, or the more masculine Quintin would work as well.

Wow! I'm really surprised. I know a little girl named Quinn so I guess that colored my perception. This might breathe new life into our baby name discussions. A baby name site had it listed in popularity as 516 for girls and 280 for boys a few years ago. It's projected to increase 47% for girls and 13% for boys though, so......