Menu

Leaving, but not gone yet, and panic attacks...

Julie in CA

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi julie, hugs to you. There are no words for the pain you're feeling.

My ex husband left after 20 yrs of marriage. The day he left, I got the kids out of the house so they wouldn't see. I cried a lot that day. Crying can be really cleansing.

I am a cancer nurse. Every time I work I see the best of love between couples and sometimes the worst. After a yr of therapy I realized I deserved more than what I was getting from my marriage. I wanted the kind of love that I saw from the best couples,the kind of love that stands by you through the thick and thin, that cherishes you, and cares for you.

So how I got through was focusing on that. I replaced the sadness with hope. I knew that God would not want me to live in the marriage I was in before. I knew that He loved me and that He would in His time provide the love here on earth that was right for me.

So basically I get by hoping that the rest of my life will be spent with someone who really cherishes me. I am grateful that I no longer have to live with the anxiety and stress of being married to someone who was not emotionally safe for me.

My living alone survival kit has been:

• Do something I enjoy for at least an hour EVERYDAY
  • Journal. I have a journal that would scare the cr*p out of my family if they read it.
  • Yoga daily when not working
  • Art or other hobby that is soothing
  • One trick for panic that has really helped me is to be in the habit of naming my feelings. Everytime I feel something I name it (fear, sadness, anxiety). Then I realize that most of what we are anxious about is unknown. We create possible scenarios in our minds that may or may not be true. If I start worrying about the future or feel anxious, I just tell myself to stop thinking about it. Iliterally tell myself "thinking stories" and picture the thoughts leaving my mind. I basically refuse to worry. But, I do name the feeling. Psychologists say that if you name the feeling and allow yourself to feel it without telling yourself stories, the negative feelings will usually leave in less than 90 seconds. It has really worked for me, and I try hard to get into the habit of this.
  • Make a plan for your future. If at all possible, try to make a plan to provide for yourself. This for me relieved a lot fo anxiety and I had time to do this before the divorce which was helpful.

Again, hugs and prayers for you. Remember that God can turn some of our hardest times into something good.

Oh my the quilt idea is such a good idea. I will gladly be the coordinator like Mariann did for mine.

I am not sure what you mean that you are not quilt worthy. But what a blessing it was to me to have so many of my friends help me through that time in that way.

Scarlett,

Please let me know the size of the squares, theme if there is one, and color scheme. I'm a quilter and I will definitely contribute a patch to our dear Julie.

Faith

Hi julie, hugs to you. There are no words for the pain you're feeling.

My ex husband left after 20 yrs of marriage. The day he left, I got the kids out of the house so they wouldn't see. I cried a lot that day. Crying can be really cleansing.

I am a cancer nurse. Every time I work I see the best of love between couples and sometimes the worst. After a yr of therapy I realized I deserved more than what I was getting from my marriage. I wanted the kind of love that I saw from the best couples,the kind of love that stands by you through the thick and thin, that cherishes you, and cares for you.

So how I got through was focusing on that. I replaced the sadness with hope. I knew that God would not want me to live in the marriage I was in before. I knew that He loved me and that He would in His time provide the love here on earth that was right for me.

So basically I get by hoping that the rest of my life will be spent with someone who really cherishes me. I am grateful that I no longer have to live with the anxiety and stress of being married to someone who was not emotionally safe for me.

My living alone survival kit has been:

• Do something I enjoy for at least an hour EVERYDAY

• Journal. I have a journal that would scare the cr*p out of my family if they read it.

• Yoga daily when not working

• Art or other hobby that is soothing

• One trick for panic that has really helped me is to be in the habit of naming my feelings. Everytime I feel something I name it (fear, sadness, anxiety). Then I realize that most of what we are anxious about is unknown. We create possible scenarios in our minds that may or may not be true. If I start worrying about the future or feel anxious, I just tell myself to stop thinking about it. Iliterally tell myself "thinking stories" and picture the thoughts leaving my mind. I basically refuse to worry. But, I do name the feeling. Psychologists say that if you name the feeling and allow yourself to feel it without telling yourself stories, the negative feelings will usually leave in less than 90 seconds. It has really worked for me, and I try hard to get into the habit of this.

• Make a plan for your future. If at all possible, try to make a plan to provide for yourself. This for me relieved a lot fo anxiety and I had time to do this before the divorce which was helpful.

Again, hugs and prayers for you. Remember that God can turn some of our hardest times into something good.

Excellent post.

I hope you get the Truth and I hope you get clarity on what you need to do. I know marriages can survive this but only with full disclosure . I would love for your marriage to be saved but not at the cost of you. You are valuable. Remember that.

:iagree: These are wise words. You are valuable, and you are a strong and resourceful woman. I am praying for you, Julie. :grouphug:

6 inches seems a bit small if it includes the seam allowance?

Would the next person who reads this, who actually makes patchwork, make an executive decision? :p I only make story quilts, so I don't know what works.

I am pretty sure I made 6" squares for Scarlett and left enough of a border within that for a reasonable (no more than 5/8") seam allowance.

Add me to the list for Julie squares, too.

ETA: I think a larger square would be nice, anyway. Rosie, you could be the decision-maker for the rest of us, and we will make whatever size you declare to be just right!