Menu

I don't want to babysit while homeschooling...

...but do YOU babysit during school hours?

Dh thinks I really should consider taking on babysitting an infant during the week. I feel like I already have enough on my plate in regards to keeping house, "ferrying" the kids to classes and activities, cooking almost every night to accomodate hubby's diet and keep dining out costs down, etc.

Feel free to tell me I'm whining :tongue_smilie: and I should be happy to earn a little extra cash as well. ;)

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I think, momeywise, you could earn more waiting tables a few hours a week than you could watching an infant all day, every day. If it's important to have the money, it should be important enough for DH to fly solo a few hours a week. Also, if I did take on an extra kid, I think it would be a 4-year-old who would go to school the next year. It would be easier gig with a natural ending.

OP, if you know it's not a good fit, then don't commit to it.

I know lots of people who do it, and do it well. However, I don't really like taking care of other peoples' children. If we were financially desperate, I would do it in a heartbeat. But, it's not something I enjoy, and we don't need the additional stress.

Do you think you could do it well?

I think, momeywise, you could earn more waiting tables a few hours a week than you could watching an infant all day, every day. If it's important to have the money, it should be important enough for DH to fly solo a few hours a week. Also, if I did take on an extra kid, I think it would be a 4-year-old who would go to school the next year. It would be easier gig with a natural ending.

I don't know about the OP, but for me, the problem is Cub Scouts and other activities that take up evening time. I'd need to do something during the day and still be with my kids.

Dh thinks I really should consider taking on babysitting an infant during the week.
I would definitely babysit an infant as long as my dh agreed to take on some of my daily responsibilities, namely housekeeping and cooking (especially if it's his diet that is an issue!). One who makes a suggestion should be ready to step in and help make it a reality. ;)

My kids are older, like yours, and it wouldn't work for me. I'm still too involved in each of their schooling. My day is spent going from one student to the next to help or go over various things. I might have a few breaks here and there but my focus during the day is them and their school work. Only you know how much time you spend each day interacting with your students. How would that interaction change if there was an infant to care for?

Obviously, if it were my own baby I'd make it work and be happy about it :D . But when it's for money, I would want to think through how it would affect me and my family.

Dh thinks I really should consider taking on babysitting an infant during the week. I feel like I already have enough on my plate in regards to keeping house, "ferrying" the kids to classes and activities, cooking almost every night to accomodate hubby's diet and keep dining out costs down, etc.

Feel free to tell me I'm whining :tongue_smilie: and I should be happy to earn a little extra cash as well. ;)

I'm right there with you.

I finally had to have a heart-to-heart with my dh about his constant suggestions that I might want to get a job 'a few nights a week' or start a from home business.

I feel I contribute enough to the household at this season in our lives. We dont 'need' the extra income. And it was getting hurtful, because everytime dh 'suggested' one of these things, it translated in my head to 'you don't do enough around here, why don't you do more'.

Of course dh didn't realize that's how I 'heard' what he said. But once we sat down and talked about it, he understood. Once I calmly pointed out how me taking on a job would mean he had to take over some responsiblities (read: ANY responsibilites around the house), he wasn't so keen on the idea anymore. And he admited we don't NEED the money right now; rather, this was his less-than-open way of saying he hopes some day to not be totally, completely responsible for carrying 100% of the financial burden. We now have a 10 year plan, if you will, and it hasn't been brought up since.

I say, see if you can find some down time to really discuss this with your dh. You know, BEFORE his comments drive you to be, uh, well, cranky with him, and he's left looking like this: :001_huh:. Of course, I'm sure I'm the only one who ever does that, LOL. :lol:

Edited by bethanyniez

Dh thinks I really should consider taking on babysitting an infant during the week.

Here's an idea for you -- why not have your dh babysit an infant for a mom who works the night shift? You know, since apparently it's so easy and all... ;)

If he thinks it shouldn't be a problem for you to babysit an infant while you're also homeschooling and chauffeuring your own kids, plus taking care of the house, doing laundry, running errands, and making meals, it stands to reason that he should have an incredibly easy time doing the overnight babysitting while he would otherwise only doing something totally unproductive like sleeping. :tongue_smilie:

Unless you're in dire need of cash, I don't think it's worth taking the time away from your own family to start babysitting. It's a lot of work and stress, particularly if you aren't 100% into the idea of it.

Edited by Catwoman

Some great perspectives have been shared!

I have grandchildren who come to visit and I happen to know that it completely blows our school day when they show up. We babysat them recently and we spent more time trying to keep the infant safe and content than the 4yo and 2yo. I think men expect infants to lie around cooing and looking cute all the time ;). Babies are work. They don't sleep all the time. They are mobile at 5 months and will constantly have to watched unless they are napping.

Personally for me, the money isn't worth it.

Yes I do. I have no choice I have to support my children and in order to do so while continueing to homeschool them I have to run a home daycare. SO far this year I have only had part time kids, but starting next week I have a fulltime 2 year old starting with us. I would love to only do 1 or the other, trying to homeschool junior high and deal with special needs therapies is hard enough without extra toddlers around but you do what you gotta do.

NO WAY!!! Maybe hubby could babysit the infant while he goes to work? Honestly, what is it with dh's? Homeschooling is a full-time job. I may not make any money but I save the family $25,000 a year by homeschooling.

I can't imagine taking care of any more kids during the school day. Even though we don't have very many outside activities, I am busy doing something with my own kids all day every day and if I'm lucky enough to have a break I certainly need it. If my kids were older and we were desperate for money it would be one of the first things I would consider. Otherwise, no way. I would do without certain things rather than take on more responsibility, because homeschooling and taking care of a house is more than a full time job.

I'm right there with you.

I finally had to have a heart-to-heart with my dh about his constant suggestions that I might want to get a job 'a few nights a week' or start a from home business.

I feel I contribute enough to the household at this season in our lives. We dont 'need' the extra income. And it was getting hurtful, because everytime dh 'suggested' one of these things, it translated in my head to 'you don't do enough around here, why don't you do more'.

Of course dh didn't realize that's how I 'heard' what he said. But once we sat down and talked about it, he understood. Once I calmly pointed out how me taking on a job would mean he had to take over some responsiblities (read: ANY responsibilites around the house), he wasn't so keen on the idea anymore. And he admited we don't NEED the money right now; rather, this was his less-than-open way of saying he hopes some day to not be totally, completely responsible for carrying 100% of the financial burden. We now have a 10 year plan, if you will, and it hasn't been brought up since.

I say, see if you can find some down time to really discuss this with your dh. You know, BEFORE his comments drive you to be, uh, well, cranky with him, and he's left looking like this: :001_huh:. Of course, I'm sure I'm the only one who ever does that, LOL. :lol:

We tried this for about a year. When dh was unemployed I got a job in the evenings so I could still keep our normal homeschool schedule. (My dh is not academically inclined and didn't help with the homeschool while unemployed) Anyway, it worked fine until he got a job. We figured I would still keep my job so we could "get ahead" a little and put some money aside. He absolutely COULD NOT be Mr. Mom when he came home from work. I could homeschool all day and work 4 hours every evening (5 days per week) come home and get the kids in bed. But he could not work all day and take care of kids for 3 hours. He did make burgers or hotdogs 4 nights per week, I planned it out, easy stuff, shopped for it. Everything was there. But that was all he had to do. No homeschooling or homework. Nothing. Just hang with the family. I won't go into the details. It didn't work out. I try not to be bitter. :tongue_smilie:

I have been babysitting a little boy (full time) for 2 years now. I can tell you honestly: it makes things harder. This boy and his family are a great fit for us. He and my boys LOVE each other like brothers. Meaning, they hate it when they aren't together and they fight like dogs when they are together! We all love him and he loves us and his parents are awesome.

In addition to teaching him preschool, teaching my son kindergarten, and teaching my daughter 2nd grade, I also do additional work 7-10 hours/week and I'm trying to get through some online schooling for myself. All this to say that my perspective might be different if I wasn't a stressed out single mom :)

If you decide to try it, plan to take a little time off from school to adjust, just like you would if you had a new baby yourself. If I didn't NEED the money (like if I'd still be able to pay the mortgage without it), I wouldn't do it. At the same time, I'm very thankful that I CAN do this job and homeschool at the same time.

Where are you supposed to all of a sudden find an infant to care for? Do you have any references other than your own children? Have you taken infant first aid courses?

I think to make decent amount of money at it one would have to be able to rise above the pack. Otherwise one could probably find extra money by cutting back on the groceries.

Here's an idea for you -- why not have your dh babysit an infant for a mom who works the night shift? You know, since apparently it's so easy and all... ;)

If he thinks it shouldn't be a problem for you to babysit an infant while you're also homeschooling and chauffeuring your own kids, plus taking care of the house, doing laundry, running errands, and making meals, it stands to reason that he should have an incredibly easy time doing the overnight babysitting while he would otherwise only doing something totally unproductive like sleeping. :tongue_smilie:

Unless you're in dire need of cash, I don't think it's worth taking the time away from your own family to start babysitting. It's a lot of work and stress, particularly if you aren't 100% into the idea of it.

:iagree:

No way. I spend more time homeschooling NOW than I did when the kids were younger. But then I've never been the babysitting type.

:iagree: Singular kid, but I feel the same. We make a lot of sacrifices so I can be home with him. But his education is my job, thankfully dh and I both agree on its importance. Adding anything into the equation takes away from my ability to provide that quality education. I have a low tolerance for stress lately, and I have a high maintenance family.

I would not. I was asked a few years ago by my neighbor to babysit her son as she wanted to start working. She thought it was a perfect solution as I'm always home, I'm right next door, and I have a dd the same age as her ds. I had no hesitation about saying no. I didn't want to be tied down to her schedule. I didn't want to have to take an extra kid with me if I needed to go to the store in the middle of the day. Little things like that which would cramp *my* style. Dh was in full support; he didn't think I'd do a good job homeschooling my olders if I had to care for another little one.

I tried to watch an infant a few years ago. It was right after dh was laid off and at the time I had a 6yo and a 9 yo.

It didn't work for us. I hated having an infant. It was hard to homeschool. I had a lot of trouble with the very young mom. She didn't get me my own car seat so I would have to pull hers out every day.

The baby was sweet. I thought I would enjoy having a baby around again. I thought it would help get rid of that baby craving I had. Well, it did that!

The mom found someone else to watch her for free. It worked out perfectly. I got an easy out. Those 8 weeks were no fun. I could go on and on about why it didn't work out. I think it was the young mom and baby daddy drama and the fact that I worked for less than $3 an hour. That just stinks.

I went to cleaning houses in the afternoons. I clean 3 houses a week (one a day) for a minimum of $20 an hour. It gives me time to homeschool in the morning, cook dinner, and take the kids to activities in the evening. My parents watch the boys while I'm gone. Each house takes me about 3 hours, with travel time I'm only gone 4. I also do bookkeeping for a NPO one day a week. This arrangement has worked much better than babysitting did. By far.

No - unless the money is needed for basic necessities, not wants.

I think you need to take a day or two off and let your husband do the homeschooling and taking care of the house during that time. He will probably get an appreciation for all that's involved. Of course there are large families with more children and infants who need care, but it's their own babies and it's part of taking care of the family. In your case, the only motivation would be money. I think that a lot of those families make tough decisions on how much they can do with outside activities and all in order to care for everyone. There's only so much time in the day, and you've only got two hands.

If the money is really needed, maybe there are housekeeping chores your husband would be willing to take over so you'd have the time to care for an infant during the day. His response will probably give you an idea of how important this extra income is to him.

Good luck as you both decide what's right for your family.

No, I don't think I would care from infant other than my own or close family/friends in dire circumsyances. I can barely get things done with my four (9, 8, 4, and 2). Actually, lots of things don't get done! But I would consider after-school care. There is a public elementary school right behind my house and I think having a school age child come over for a few hours after school is done might be doable.

Only you know if your family needs an income. That is a conversation for you and your dh to sit down and unemotionally discuss. However, in home daycare is not a job I would consider unless I was a single parent.

When I was homeschooling I got a job that not only paid a little bit, but also provided a benefit to my family.

I teach swimming so the benefit was/is that my kids can get some free classes at the community center, some health clubs would offer a discount on family membership to me, etc. You don't have to be a lifeguard or a swim instructor to work at one of these places, you can be a greeter/membership representative. You can work in the evening/weekend drop in daycare.

Another place you can get an extra benefit is working nights at a grocery. I have friend who does this and gets a small discount, but she also gets first pick on meat that's going on sale.

There are other places you can come up with a benefit your could use. I would say bookstores, but it's actually hard to get a job at Barnes and Noble (my neighbor works there) and I personally would have difficulty not overspending my earnings in a book store.

Yes, doing this can cut into family time. It can cut into your dh's down time, but you do make more an hour than you could caring for one infant in your home. You maintain control and flexibility over your homeschool.

Yeah, I've had someone suggest that as a way of bringing in extra $$. Uhm, excuse me? I'm in a small house with eight kids 24/7 as it is. I have my own infant/toddler/small child on up. No thank you.

If money is a pressing issue, I would look to cut save money elsewhere before watching a child every day. I think it would really impact your day to day activities, much more than your own baby would.

Watching a child overnight or on the weekends would actually be easier since your dh would be there to help. ;) Since infant care is no big deal to him, he should be happy to help.

I've done it before and it takes up SO much of your time, throws off schedules, etc. I would ONLY do it if it were the ONLY way I could continue homeschooling and we were desperate for the money. It would be better to me to wait tables one night a week or find some other kind of work from home job.

I have, on occasion, watched BIL/SIL's kids (2 boys, ages 2 and almost 1) during the day. I believe I've done it once, maybe twice.

I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, and I do love these kids. But particularly with the baby, it's a big disruption. The 2 year old isn't that different for me (I have a 2 year old!) but the constant stopping/feeding/napping schedule of a baby would be too much for us on a regular basis. I do it if they need me. And since it's family, no pay required. :)

I wouldn't even consider watching someone else's kids.

ETA: I've NEVER been much of a babysitter. There were a few kids I really loved as a teenager (my pastor's kids, in particular) that I would take places with me and stuff, and I stayed with them for a week once. But aside from that, I didn't really 'do' babysitting. When DH and I first got married and moved to where his family lives, we babysat one nephew a few times (in the evenings so the parents could go out, etc). I didn't mind it. Somehow it's different with family (as long as they aren't taking unfair advantage!) but anyway, just thought I should throw out there that I'm not a babysitting type person anyway.

Edited by PeacefulChaos

BTDT. Unless the money is absolutely necessary for survival, NO WAY. The extra mess and stress simply is not worth it just for some extra spending money, IMHO.

:iagree:

I did it a few days a week and it was SO hard to get school done when the baby was there. My girls were 8 and not very independent though. I felt like I was cheating my kids. :( Although, I'm also not the kind of mother that could handle having 6, 7, 8, kids, so I'm sure there are lots of mothers out there that could handle one infant. It was hard that it was someone else's kid- it was hard to fit him into our rhythm.

As a parent who has used in-home child care, I want a care provider whose primary focus during the day is on caring for children, as that's the job she's being paid to do. Homeschooling is a major responsibility, obviously, not like doing laundry or other household chores providers regularly do while taking care of kids. I'm sure some do both successfully without neglecting one or the other, but anecdotal evidence leads me to doubt that is the norm--at least with babies and small children. Older kids would not need as much attention.

Edited by WordGirl

I did it a few times as backup when a friend's regular sitter had a sick child. That was enough to see that it just wasn't a good fit for me. I have and may again work evening part-time shifts, but this does mean that the kids have to cut back on evening activities, especially on the nights when dh and I are both driving in opposite directions. (But by cutting extra activities, that saves money right there.) In the end, it doesn't usually add up to much because when I have another job on top of the house and homeschooling, we spend a lot more on convenience foods, etc.

I watch between 2-4 kids right now, depending on the day. I won't be continuing after March. None of them are bad, but I can't trust them to play throughout the house like I can with my own toddler. Granted, the kids I watch are toddler/preschool and older than what you're talking about. They color on things they're not supposed to, rip pages in books, and just get in mischief. The infant that I watch is ok, and I will continue watching her through this school year. But she only comes on Mondays, so one day out of the week is ok.

I also can't go anywhere with the kids, so DS misses out on play dates, field trips, etc.

I was offered a position as a Developmental Therapist for our state's early intervention. I can do that after DH gets home and a few on the weekends. I won't bring in as much, but it will help pay off debt, which is our ultimate goal.

I watched my infant niece for two years while her father finished Bible college and her mother worked. I did not charge them, but they did give me $1600 when they refinanced their house that I did not ask them for but was grateful for.

That said, there is only so much of me to go around and I did not make sure my oldest child was getting his school work done. Did you read the Mini Tiger Mom thread:lol::lol::lol: He had to do school work in the summer because I did not check on him enough. Now, he was 13 and knew he wasn't getting it done, but I should have been watching him instead of holding the baby sometimes.

I have a wonderful relationship with my niece and I would do it again, but for that reason, I would not do it for money.

I'm about to begin a FT babysitting job this Tuesday that will run through June. The mom is a teacher so it's on a "teacher schedule" (M-F days with ps vacations). I will watch a 3 yo and a 18 month old.

This is going to work out in regards to school because in the morning we do Bible, crafts and snack/story time. Everyone can participate in these activities. I always work on the core subjects at night when my small girl goes to bed - math, reading and/or science. So, for our particular school schedule, babysitting will work.

:blink:

That was my reaction! I have several other things I would do to earn a few dollars before I would take care of someone else's baby all day while homeschooling. It was challenging enough when they were my own little ones!

Learning with the kids (30+ hours), working in the kitchen (20+ hours), and general housekeeping (endless?) is more than enough to fill my plate. I think my brain couldn't hold another responsibility. On the other hand, if it was desperately needed I know I could find the resources somewhere to do what was needed.

I'd look for a less draining and more predictable source of income. Babies can have off days (sick, teething). What would 3 hours of screaming do for your household?

This, exactly! I'm finding it so hard with my own baby, let alone adding someone else's. I think babysitting while homeschooling would be really hard.

Watching another child while trying to educate my own??!!

:lol:

I have a hard enough time trying to fit laundry into my life... I can't imagine my husband expecting that of me.

(short answer: No way!)

This is exactly my reaction. My husband is unemployed right now and we could really use the money, but he knows better than to even suggest it.