Menu

Does ANYONE eat that nasty green bean casserole thing?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think that this thread might get locked up faster than a discussion about shopping carts and crock pots. :tongue_smilie: Thanksgiving traditions are pretty emotional ground. I'm sure you eat something that would gross me out too. :D

I never had it as a child. It was not part of our tradition. However, DH had it every year and loved it, so I incorporate it into our Thanksgiving. Last year, I convinced him to let me try Alton Brown's version. It was delightful for all of us.

Still, your question seems designed to hurt feelings and invite conflict. Is your turkey still frozen, leaving you cranky this morning? ;) :D

I never ate green beans until I married DH. I was a very picky eater as a child and even as my palate expanded greatly as I grew up and tried different things, there was something about the texture of green beans that gagged me into my 20s.

Since green beans are one of the few vegs my DH enjoys, I kept trying them and now I've come to tolerate them. :D

Now the casserole...not so much. :lol:

My sil asked me this same question...only she makes it every year. She wanted to know if anyone really liked it...or was she making it because it was traditional....

I figure...who cares...everyone eats it...it's gone at the end of the dinner....so why change things.

I would prefer steamed broccoli with cheese sauce....but, Green bean thing is fine....

Faithe

Well, I use fresh haricots verts in mine. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Yum!!! Okay, I'll try it. :lol:

It's interesting to see how people are attached to certain foods from childhood. My mom made fresh green beans with new potatoes, garlic and onions for Thanksgiving. I had frozen or fresh veggies growing up. My dh grew up on canned veggies and still loves the standard green bean casserole. :)

Scottish food, which is based on a dare.

Does anyone eat it or is it some kind of inside media joke or what?

To the bolded: :lol:

One year I invited a work friend who wasn't able to go home for Thanksgiving, and she brought it. None of us liked it, but apparently it was a "must" for her Thanksgiving menu.

When I was a kid, I loved it. As much as I loved ANY veggie.

However, my contrasting alternatives were: overcooked frozen green peas or green beans, OR beat to death canned peas or canned green beans. With no 'doctoring up' with onion salt instead of regular salt, or herbs, or anything.

But NOW, now that I know what veggies are supposed to taste like, if you start from good, new, fresh ones, now I don't like that casserole anymore.

I love it, once in a while. OP- if your dh is referring to haggis, I can bet that if you had to choose between green bean casserole and haggis, you would eat the casserole quite happily. Haggis is gross, even paired with a few shots of Talisker, which I was told was the perfect drink for haggis. All the other food I had in Scotland was quite delicious.:001_smile:

We've had it every year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas probably since I was in junior high (long, long, long ago). My mom made it one year and my bil LOVED it, so we have it every year.

My mom has always subbed a can of dill green beans (I hate dill) for one of the regular green beans and then tops the whole thing with frozen onion rings instead of the dried canned stuff. The onion rings are the only thing I like.

I loved it as a child but have never been able to make it as well as my mom did. I haven't made it the last few years as I've completely forgotten about it until we sit down at the table. oops.

My kids were asking me to make it this year so I am giving it another go. I'll take a look at the Alton Brown link -thank you, Kristina! -so hopefully it will be edible this year. :)