Menu

Does ANYONE eat that nasty green bean casserole thing?

Good question! My SIL used to bring it and we would eat some just to be polite, but it was gross. One year I dutifully bit into it and it tasted so great! I enthusiastilcally praised my SIL for it. Then I realized that this time, my sister had actually cooked it. (Insert foot into mouth!)

So apparently it depends on how it's made.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haggis is gross, even paired with a few shots of Talisker, which I was told was the perfect drink for haggis. All the other food I had in Scotland was quite delicious.:001_smile:

Despite not being bred in Scotland. The green bean casserole sounds horrid: tinned beans? Tinned soup?

I have made green beans with cheese sauce for Thanksgiving - I don't know if Husband had the casserole as a child, but he tolerates my version.

This year we are going to a St Andrews Day meal for Thanksgiving: steak pie is on the menu, I think.

Laura

I only like it made with fresh ingredients - fresh beans, fresh mushrooms, fresh onions, bacon, a little creamy white sauce, all made from scratch, with a little worcestershire. That's good. I don't like the version with the canned beans and canned soup. Bleh.

This is how we do it here as well. Yummy!!!!

I grew up in a foodie household. We never had canned anything. Thanksgiving was a gourmet affair of a few carefully researched and selected dishes. But I think there is something to be said for being able to appreciate non-foodie foods. If you can't enjoy a church potluck, you are missing out!

I agree with others who've said that the taste of this casserole is largely dependent upon how it's made, though not necessarily canned versus fresh. That goes for most foods though.

I always loved it. Seriously one of my favorite parts of thanksgiving. Then I got pregnant 2 years ago, and started having an aversion to green beans. Ate it anyway, cause I wanted to still love it. threw up. NOw can't eat grean beans. So this year I did a similar dish, but with spinach.

Well...

I just made Alton Brown's no-tins-of-carp version, tweaked to be gluten free, including the oven toasted onions for the top. The Mysterious Spot of Disappearance seems to have spread to the onions from the pumpkin squares, though.

eta: The 10yo, who doesn't really care for green beans at all, and green bean casserole in particular, was just eating it out of the skillet where it's parked and waiting to be topped and warmed in the oven. Awesome.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Every year we hear about it and see it on tv commercials and so forth.

Dh says its worse than Scottish food, which is based on a dare.

Does anyone eat it or is it some kind of inside media joke or what?

And if you like it...well happy thanksgiving!:)

Yes, my dad eats & loves it. :tongue_smilie:

It's DH's favorite part of the meal. The kids won't touch it. I have maybe a tablespoon of it. The rest of it he devours that night and reheated with the rest of the leftovers. He even requests me to make it during the year he likes it so much.

This is my dh, too.

Does it really need a tablespoon of sugar in it?

Laura

A lot of reviewers recommended leaving out the sugar, so that's what I did. The sauce tasted delicious. Cheesy, oniony, and creamy. I have it assembled and ready to bake, and I can't see how it could go wrong from here.

I LOVE it! I made it for the first time last Christmas and will be making a double batch this year. I suppose many of you also don't like tater tot casserole?! Them's fighting words! :D

This is a rare treat for our family. We heard about it through the discussions on the Duggars, but actually experienced it through my BIL/SIL. It's not really a "cheap" dish.

Every year we hear about it and see it on tv commercials and so forth.

Dh says its worse than Scottish food, which is based on a dare.

Does anyone eat it or is it some kind of inside media joke or what?

And if you like it...well happy thanksgiving!:)

LOVE it, LOOOVE it, LOOOVE it

Ask for for my birthday dinner, Christmas too --

LOOOVE IT

Oh dear, we love it (and have eaten it twice today), LOL! I make it with golden mushroom soup, which is much better than the regular mushroom soup. I also use an entire large can of fried onions in it, so it has tons of crunchies and tons of flavor. I get raves on it whenever I take it to any function (people find me to ask me what's in it), so I don't think we're entirely crazy....

I have never made green bean casserole. Every Thanksgiving, I make ordinary fresh or frozen cooked grean beans as one of two green vegetables.

Mostly I fry few pieces bacon, drain off grease, add a little water and seasonings and cook. Sometimes we roast them with olive oil and sea salt.

Generally I only use cream of ______ soup in microwaved scalloped cheesy potatoes because the cheddar cheese disguises the taste of cream of ____ soup.

Oh dear, we love it (and have eaten it twice today), LOL! I make it with golden mushroom soup, which is much better than the regular mushroom soup. I also use an entire large can of fried onions in it, so it has tons of crunchies and tons of flavor. I get raves on it whenever I take it to any function (people find me to ask me what's in it), so I don't think we're entirely crazy....

:iagree:I use golden mushroom soup too. I think that makes it much better.

I'll have a spoonful of haggis at a St. Andrew's dinner, along with tatties and neeps and a wee shot of whiskey, because it's part of the experience, but that's it. :D

Give me green bean casserole any day. :D

:lol: I have never had it and never plan to. Sounds like it contains wheat -- that should get me off the hook. :D