Menu

HUGE, MAJOR breakthrough with my RAD dd!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I am in tears over your post and wish you all much joy in the future. I also have a Chinese daughter, and every time I read one of your posts about your RADish, I think, "That could just as easily have been us." Who knows why one child attaches and one doesn't, but bless you for sticking with her for so long. I hope the rest of your family can eventually come to wipe the slate clean as well.

Terri

:party::hurray: I will have the happy dance with you!

Denise, it's a testament to her inner strength and ability to endure and your unconditional love and perseverance, fighting for your child, and that is just AMAZING! Maybe you'll write the book someday that will help other radishes (:D) and their parents find hope.

Faith

This gives me so much hope for my situation. We've only been working at it for 2 years. I've been tempted to throw in the towel a few times and stop trying. Your post gives me new resolve.

Don't give up!!! DON'T!!!!! Take a break when you need one, re-energize, then keep on keeping on. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Two years is NOT enough!!!

I am SO very happy for you, Denise. Some of your posts have made me wince for what you're going through. I'm thrilled to hear about this turn around. How wonderful for her to have this breakthrough! I hope the rest of her childhood will be positive in her emotional development. You're a wonderful mom- an example to us all- and she is benefitting from your unconditional love. Blessings on your WHOLE family!:)

:grouphug::grouphug: So happy for you and your DD.

I grieve over the stories where families give up an adopted child after years of trying and suffering, but so often I can understand how the parents reach a breaking point. Your story gives so much hope that perserverance and love can eventually reap a reward, and that these poor kids can indeed have hope of healing.

That's amazing, Denise. Beyond amazing. Beyond words. That kind of wonderful.

I believe that someday, she will come to find peace. She has the support she needs to get there. It will take time, but it will happen.

I have to say that your dd has been on my mind every so often. This post made me so happy, Denise.

I have to say that your dd has been on my mind every so often. This post made me so happy, Denise.

Yes, I have thought of your daughter often. Your post brought a huge smile to my face and tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for both you and your daughter. It's amazing how He knows when we need strength and encouragement to keep pushing forward. I hope things continue to move in the right direction.

memories from her infancy? Wow. :sad:

Yes, my dd as well! She told me things about her finding time, which I didn't know. Later, when I finally ordered her finding ad, I got to do the translation myself, and what she said was verified that way.

One of the many books we had to read in prep for our adoption talked about how normal events don't imprint on babies, because everything is, well, normal. However, if something traumatic happens, it can be remembered. The book (gosh I wish I remember which one) also talked about how most babies are born with a certain understanding of what is right/normal.

I hate to keep calling dd my RAD dd. I sometimes call her my little RADish...... a term of endearment, not just a label! I somehow think it sounds ........ I don't know.... more acceptable?

Anyway, this week was a HUGE, HUGE turning point for my dd. She has been home with us for almost 7.5 years, and she's never, ever learned to trust us. I know this because when ever she's hurt, she NEVER comes to us for comfort. In fact, it took YEARS for her to CRY when she was hurt! Unfortunately, these are common traits from kids who were severely neglected and/or abuse. I've been working on this with her for YEARS. Also, she rarely speaks her feelings. When she does, half the time you really can't believe what she's saying. It's as if she's saying what she thinks YOU want to hear.

Two nights ago I was sitting at the kitchen island when I heard her crying in her bed. It was after 9:00 and I thought for sure she was asleep! I went upstairs, thinking she had a bad dream. She was sobbing hysterically and couldn't talk! I just kept rubbing her back and trying to comfort her. Finally, when she had cried enough to feel better, she had a lot to tell me. A LOT. Things that she'd been keeping bottled up inside forever. Things that bother her. Things that make her happy. Things that make her sad. LOTS and LOTS of stuff. She's NEVER done this before. Ever. Not even close.

I brought her downstairs and I just held her in my arms and we talked until after midnight. She decided that she wanted to keep a journal and start to write all her thoughts down, and she wanted to read her journal to me daily.

On her first page, she asked FOUR TIMES why her birth mother gave her away. :crying: She also said that her mom (yes, me) works so hard to help her. She said she loves me. And she's decided that like dd11, she wants regular special time alone with me.

This is my RAD kid who has rejected me and my love since THE DAY she met me!!!!!!!!!!!

I was an emotional wreck all day yesterday. I couldn't get beyond the deep pain to the core of my being, the pain my daughter was feeling. I wish there was something I could do to help her have peace about her birthmom. I hate seeing her with this deep, raw pain. I was near tears all day.

Today, I'm just SO grateful that MY DAUGHTER LOVES ME AND WANTS TO BE WITH ME. ALONE. JUST THE TWO OF US.

Never. NEVER before. Ever.

This is the BIGGEST break through we've ever had with her. In fact, it was SO huge that we woke up dh and told him a lot of what we were discussing! He was as happy as he could be. She has really caused tremendous stress on our family. Heartbreaking stress. It's not like it can all just be erased for him. But me? I think it has been erased for me. Things are just somehow different now. It FEELS different. My heart has been so filled with love for her that it STILL hurts! I've always loved her, but it's just DIFFERENT. The things she said, the deep, personal feelings she shared..... She wants to be able to discuss these things with me freely and regularly. WOW!!!

I just can't believe this change has come about!!! I never dreamed she would be like this. And I can TELL that her words are GENUINE!!!

And do you know what prompted all of this? Her MEI magazines!!! In the May issue they had a LOT to say about Mother's Day; how it's ok to love two moms, how it's ok to talk about your birth mom, how it's GOOD to talk about your feelings. She's been clutching this magazine for over a week and she just had to get everything out.

My poor little dd. I do hope one day she can feel TRUE happiness and peace. I hope some day her scars and pains will be greatly diminished if not altogether GONE.

Please celebrate with me. I truly feel that this breakthrough is the most astounding thing I've ever experienced, and I am absolutely FILLED with hope.

In the past 24 hours, I can't even tell you how many times she's told me she loves me, and she has been happy to kiss and hug me. It's as if she can't get enough.

:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Oh Denise,I am so thrilled for you. As an adoptive mom with mild issues compared to yours and much tumult over the past 5 years I can so appreciate what you are saying and I REJOICE with you!!

I am SO happy for you! As the mom of a challenging DD who was also adopted, my heart has always gone out to you. I know the pain and the struggles intimately...I've prayed for you and your DD often. What a wonderful and unexpected answer to prayer! A blessing straight from God.

:grouphug: