Menu

Homemade PopTarts and other things you’ll never make again

Ann.without.an.e

54 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

You can get a rotisserie chicken if you want. I buy crusts. The blind baking step is kind of a pain. I use the recipe called classic on the Pillsbury website. I buy the carrot/pea mixed veggies. 

Like you, I use store bought crust. I don’t blind bake and have never had any issues. I also use frozen peas/carrots, it’s just about the only time I use frozen vegetables, except spinach in the very rare homemade lasagna. But I normally bake the chicken breast because we use them for other things like salad, sandwiches, etc.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Frances said:

Like you, I use store bought crust. I don’t blind bake and have never had any issues. I also use frozen peas/carrots, it’s just about the only time I use frozen vegetables, except spinach in the very rare homemade lasagna. But I normally bake the chicken breast because we use them for other things like salad, sandwiches, etc.

I normally bake the chicken, too. I’ve had so many awful chicken pot pies (mini Marie calendars which I had to bake forever in a glass dish upside down to fully cook lol) I just don’t trust not blind baking. I buy the roll out dough. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MagistraKennedy said:

I think the trick is making big batches -- it's one of our favorite dishes here, but it IS labor intensive. Peeling potatoes, mashing, and I think there's a roux involved at some point. 

FWIW, Trader Joes has a frozen Shepherds Pie that's pretty good. 

Personally, I skip the potato peeling. A roux - Why?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/no-fuss-shepherds-pie/amp

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Clarita said:

Millefeuille after making it I concluded while it was good the one at the bakery was also just as good. Pretzels, the store ones have a better exterior because I don't want to do the lye dip, and also I absolutely suck at making the pretzel shape.

Same with my husbands homemade pesto. Although it's super yummy because there is no filler just basil, good parmesan, pine nuts and olive oil. $$$$ but it's better than any restaurant or store. When you see the ingredient cost it'll be clear why only maybe The French Laundry will have a comparable pesto.  

I’m not sure how to cut your entry, but regarding pesto I have good news…..  I NEVER make pesto with pine nuts for that very reason.  I’ve for years easily substituted in any other nut - usually sunflower seeds actually because they are even cheaper than walnuts, etc - and the pesto is delicious.  It’s one of my favorite “whip it up fast” things to do.  The worst part for me about the whole process is just the picking the basil leaves off the stems.  I fully support pesto with cheaper nuts!!!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Haha after that thread where we talked about pop tarts recently I thought of you guys when I saw a homemade pop tart recipe in my facebook feed (https://iambaker.net/pumpkin-pie-pop-tart/)

Hmm I don't know if I'd say "never" but it was quite the pain. Lumpia. Took me a while to figure out how to work with the rice paper and then frying was a pain. I hardly ever use that much oil and I don't like reusing oil (worried it's reached it's smoke point and not a good idea to recycle). I'm just not good at frying stuff and to this day I don't know what else I should have bought as wrapping paper as that looked like the best match in the Oriental Market. People have told me there are better options. I froze some and sent them to xh's house for them to cook in the air fryer. I checked back with them a couple weeks later and they had not even done it! So who knows if my hard work was tossed the time they lost power to the freezer... 

I love lumpia but yeah, I don't know that I will ever make it again. I made it occasionally when I was younger but I just don't have the stamina to do it anymore.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Homemade gnocchis from scratch.  They were great, but really not so much different from store-bought which are so inexpensive.  Forming each of those tiny potato pillows with a fork took forever—and I make pasta and croissants from scratch on occasion.

I am happy to read this. I actually recently discovered gnocchi and my family likes it. I keep seeing recipes that extol the virtues of homemade, but I balk at the notion that something small and shaped by hand is all that easy. I just keep buying it. 

(Of course there is a difference between difficult and tedious/time-consuming but this seem like a low payoff for all the work.)

• Like 2

Pumpkin purée from scratch. It’s so much work and mess and it just doesn’t work as well or come out a pretty orange like Libby’s does. 

Homemade pasta. Once I discovered some of the more rustic “home style” noodles you can buy taste almost as good, I was done. All that kneading and cutting and drying with noodles draped everywhere. No. 

Not me, but someone I knew burned out her kitchen-aid mixer trying to make homemade marshmallows. I’d been toying with the idea of trying those, but not after that. 

17 hours ago, skimomma said:

This!  We don't have allergy issues but and friend and I thought we would go all Susie-Homemaker one year and do "real" gingerbread houses with "the kids."  I say "the kids" because between us we have 4 but we also included 3 others kids.  We pre-made the pieces which was WAY more work than I thought possible.

I was so happy when my MIL took over the gingerbread house thing. She bought kits, but the stress and mess happened at her house and my kids returned with their masterpieces on a cardboard sheet. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

I made shepherd's pie for the first time this past week. I don't think I'll make it again. Too many pans and dishes to dirty up.

i make shepherd's pie when I have leftover gravy from roast beef or stew beef over noodles.  I cook ground beef in the dutch oven (or cook some sort of beef in the instapot to shred) along with onions or garlic, dump in bagged shredded carrots, frozen green peas, the leftover gravy, seasonings, and the top with mashed potatoes cooked in the instapot. So, only the instapot and the pot that the whole thing cooks in...just in case you want to make it again but want to minimize your dishes.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Pumpkin purée from scratch. It’s so much work and mess and it just doesn’t work as well or come out a pretty orange like Libby’s does. 

This is why we no longer eat "pumpkin" anything.  We use sweet potatoes, taste exactly the same but are so much easier to process and still comes out much cheaper than buying cans of pumpkin at the store. (But then again I have sources for cheap produce in bulk, it probably isn't cost effective if you just buy sweet potatoes from the store).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

This is why we no longer eat "pumpkin" anything.  We use sweet potatoes, taste exactly the same but are so much easier to process and still comes out much cheaper than buying cans of pumpkin at the store. (But then again I have sources for cheap produce in bulk, it probably isn't cost effective if you just buy sweet potatoes from the store).

We get loads of butternut squash form our CSA  and it doubles for pumpkin. Sweet potato is good, but not quite the same texture, esp in pie. My kids eat pumpkin pie for breakfast all winter! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

We get loads of butternut squash form our CSA  and it doubles for pumpkin. Sweet potato is good, but not quite the same texture, esp in pie. My kids eat pumpkin pie for breakfast all winter! 

Squash is good too!  But since you still had to deal with the seeds, it was more effort than I wanted to put in.  If I baked the sweet potatoes, then the texture seemed different but boiled we can't tell the difference but this is probably one of those YMMV things.

• Like 3

I made marshmallows once. They were tastier than store bought, but they didn't roast right (didn't turn golden, just started "melting"), and what would I use them for other than that?

I've given up on anything that requires me to use puff pastry or rice paper wrappers. Or anything that requires homemade pie crust (well I do graham cracker crusts, but not the flakey rolled out kind).

ETA: I forgot one--bacon! So many non-standard ingredients and then it was nearly impossible to get bacon like slices out of it when it was done.

I met a kindergarten teacher that made "gingerbread" houses with her class every year using graham crackers. I have no idea if the smaller size of the crackers made it doable with a bunch of 5-year-olds or if she was some sort a magician. 

For anything that involves potatoes, I either skip peeling them or I use one of those apple corer/slicer/peeler things. If you drop the corer/slicer bit,  and cut the potato in half (not the long way), they fit and get peeled super quick.

I make homemade jerky for my BIL, and he raves about it--but I use ground beef.

Edited by silver
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Not me, but someone I knew burned out her kitchen-aid mixer trying to make homemade marshmallows. I’d been toying with the idea of trying those, but not after that

Darn. My mom burned out a hand mixer that way, but still makes them in her KA stand mixer. I just got my first one and we’ve been looking forward to marshmallows, but now I’m scared. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Darn. My mom burned out a hand mixer that way, but still makes them in her KA stand mixer. I just got my first one and we’ve been looking forward to marshmallows, but now I’m scared. 

I make marshmallows a couple of times every year, usually around Christmas.  They are the best in hot chocolate!  It doesn't seem to be an issue for my mixer at all.  Big batches of cookie or brownie dough cause it to sound worse.  With the recipe that I use, you can't mix it too long before it sets.  

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, Katy said:

I will never make caramelized onions on the stove again when it is so easy to make in the crockpot without the stirring. 

I’ll never make potato salad again. 3 hours of work for something more expensive and tastes worse than that giant package of it from Sam’s Club. 

On 9/2/2022 at 10:26 AM, Katy said:

Peeling potatoes & discovering more than 50% of the NEW bag was rotten inside. Plus the last time I tried I had two toddlers so I was constantly stashing a knife in a safe place & going to stop them from something.

I was wondering what happened. I make mine with red skinned potatoes so I don’t have to peel. It takes 20 minutes. 

On 9/2/2022 at 2:29 PM, Ann.without.an.e said:

I don't know why the pop tarts seem like too much lol. 

We cook most things from scratch. We even make our own tamales and corn tortillas. The pop tarts are a no though. 

Pop tarts did seem over the top; especially since actual tarts are easier and tastier. Even fried pies would be easier than homemade pop tarts

On 9/2/2022 at 3:22 PM, Clarita said:

Millefeuille after making it I concluded while it was good the one at the bakery was also just as good. Pretzels, the store ones have a better exterior because I don't want to do the lye dip, and also I absolutely suck at making the pretzel shape.

Same with my husbands homemade pesto. Although it's super yummy because there is no filler just basil, good parmesan, pine nuts and olive oil. $$$$ but it's better than any restaurant or store. When you see the ingredient cost it'll be clear why only maybe The French Laundry will have a comparable pesto.  

The second my daughter told me that she liked walnut pesto better I never bought another pine nut. It’s soooo much cheaper without those stupid, flavorless pine nuts. 

19 hours ago, MagistraKennedy said:

I think the trick is making big batches -- it's one of our favorite dishes here, but it IS labor intensive. Peeling potatoes, mashing, and I think there's a roux involved at some point. 

FWIW, Trader Joes has a frozen Shepherds Pie that's pretty good. 

I like to make two and freeze one to get more mileage from my effort. We love shepherds pie. I make it with lamb and rosemary and sometimes put some feta I. The mashed potatoes. 

10 hours ago, Trilliumlady said:

I’m not sure how to cut your entry, but regarding pesto I have good news…..  I NEVER make pesto with pine nuts for that very reason.  I’ve for years easily substituted in any other nut - usually sunflower seeds actually because they are even cheaper than walnuts, etc - and the pesto is delicious.  It’s one of my favorite “whip it up fast” things to do.  The worst part for me about the whole process is just the picking the basil leaves off the stems.  I fully support pesto with cheaper nuts!!!

Same!

7 hours ago, Condessa said:

Homemade gnocchis from scratch.  They were great, but really not so much different from store-bought which are so inexpensive.  Forming each of those tiny potato pillows with a fork took forever—and I make pasta and croissants from scratch on occasion.

I’ve only done the big log that you cut into pieces. I’ve never attempted any cute fork action. 

7 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Homemade pasta. Once I discovered some of the more rustic “home style” noodles you can buy taste almost as good, I was done. All that kneading and cutting and drying with noodles draped everywhere. No. 

Not me, but someone I knew burned out her kitchen-aid mixer trying to make homemade marshmallows. I’d been toying with the idea of trying those, but not after that. 

I was so happy when my MIL took over the gingerbread house thing. She bought kits, but the stress and mess happened at her house and my kids returned with their masterpieces on a cardboard sheet. 

Never again with the actual pumpkin. It tastes exactly like canned. I don’t card what anyone says. 

I do chicken pot pie fairly regularly. I make the bone broth from scratch and everything, but  I usually skip the bottom crust. I do a biscuit crust, or a puff pastry crust, and very rarely do I bother with pie pastry and a bottom crust. 

Chicken pot pie is my go-to meal for finishing up a rotisserie chicken. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

I made homemade marshmallows a couple of times when my kids were little. They were delicious (I like marshmallows) and not hard. I did not even own a stand mixer at the time, so I certainly did not burn one out. BUT--they smell HORRID for a few minutes. Not after they are finished, but as you add the gelatin, it smells like I would imagine horses' hooves smell in their natural state. I used a Martha Stewart recipe because I saw her made them on her show once, back when that was a thing, and she definitely did not mention the smell. I never made them again because no one else in my family or extended family likes marshmallows. Weirdos. . ..

4 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Me, too-I'm allergic to pine nuts, but I really like basil and parmesan....

A friend’s husband has nut allergies and I recently made a pesto dish for them that left out the nuts entirely. The cheese, basil, and olive oil are all delicious. I probably used a little more pepper, but it was good. 

added to the list of things that are NOT worth the effort: Growing your own luffa sponges. Ugh. What a pain. Never again!

On 9/2/2022 at 1:04 PM, pitterpatter said:

I made shepherd's pie for the first time this past week. I don't think I'll make it again. Too many pans and dishes to dirty up.

My dad is unreasonably annoyed that I refuse to make shepherd's pie anymore, lol. It doesn't affect him at all, we don't live in the same house, but he won't give up on trying to convince me that it's not that much more work. 

I'm like, it's all cooked already! It is not worth the trouble to layer it and cook it again. Once I have cooked the meat and the main side, I am done. We're going to heat the veg and eat it as is. Putting cheese on top does not level it up enough to make it worthwhile to me. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, Quill said:

Homemade crackers. They were delicious, but…yeah. A lot of toil for like sixteen poppyseed crackers. No thanks! 

There are several varieties of homemade crackers I’ve made repeatedly. I had a phase. But I made homemade saltines  once, and never again. They tasted exactly like what you get from the store, and took a lot longer to make. Not worth it at all.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 9:25 PM, Quill said:

Sacrilege! That is my absolute favorite baking book! I have never had a recipe go wrong. The Lemon Bundt Cake is like a miracle in my mouth! 

I agree with you.  Cook's instructions might be more ... detailed.   But the result is always worth the effort.  

Well, except for once.   I was pregnant with 23-hour sickness.  The latest magazine had these thin cookie things just loaded with ginger.   I thought, "Maybe I can eat that?  Ginger is supposed to be good, right?"   My morning sickness was so bad I rated foods based on how they were coming up.  DH said they were awesome but I managed to lose those too, so he ate all but a couple of bites.  

On 9/2/2022 at 10:25 PM, Quill said:

Sacrilege! That is my absolute favorite baking book! I have never had a recipe go wrong. The Lemon Bundt Cake is like a miracle in my mouth! 

This is true. But it's also true that the recipes have a LOT of steps. My husband is famous for his pies--all from Cook's Illustrated/ATK. People will ask for the recipe, but when they see them, they usually say "never mind." LOL. It takes patience.  😃

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, cintinative said:

This is true. But it's also true that the recipes have a LOT of steps. My husband is famous for his pies--all from Cook's Illustrated/ATK. People will ask for the recipe, but when they see them, they usually say "never mind." LOL. It takes patience.  😃

Well I *can* relate to that because I have thought before, “Must I really read the long explanation of why one must use club soda rather than water in this cookie?” 😄 But the logic is usually on point. (Although I disagree with them on omitting cinnamon from Oatmeal cookies; that’s pure nonsense, lol!) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Well I *can* relate to that because I have thought before, “Must I really read the long explanation of why one must use club soda rather than water in this cookie?” 😄 But the logic is usually on point. (Although I disagree with them on omitting cinnamon from Oatmeal cookies; that’s pure nonsense, lol!) 

😃  My husband likes to make their pumpkin pie and it gets mixed reviews because it has a little bit of sweet potato in it and it doesn't have exactly the same spice profile or texture as pie we grew up with.  

I personally have less patience for how much they fuss with easy recipes like cookies. My husband makes one of their oatmeal cookie recipes and I think it involves toasting the oats or some such thing. Then when you form them you have to sprinkle the toasted oats on top or something.  It takes forever.  To me, drop cookies should take less than ten minutes to make. 😃 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I personally have less patience for how much they fuss with easy recipes like cookies. My husband makes one of their oatmeal cookie recipes and I think it involves toasting the oats or some such thing. Then when you form them you have to sprinkle the toasted oats on top or something.  It takes forever.  To me, drop cookies should take less than ten minutes to make.

I have room for both in my life. Sometimes I like to toss easy things together and sometimes I like a bit of a project. And, toasted oats are fab.  😀

• Like 3

I made Tyler Florences flan one time. It worked. It was perfect. I think I might try it again one day, but the odds are really slim. It had so many steps and most of them had a chance of going wrong and ruining the flan. There was no way to tell if you’d succeed or not until the very end. It was brutal. 

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Well I *can* relate to that because I have thought before, “Must I really read the long explanation of why one must use club soda rather than water in this cookie?” 😄 But the logic is usually on point.

I love the Cook's Illustrated stuff. Actually, I often only read their explanations for why they do things a certain way rather than the actual recipe. 

Although I usually go to them for savory/entree type recipes rather than pastries. I have an even crazier book for pastries (The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry). When I pull off "execute correctly" the recipes in that book it's AMAZING. There have been many fails though and if you look online there is a simpler recipe to do almost the same thing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pork Buns or other steamed bao.  They just never rise right for me.  Nor for any friend who has tried them.  They turn out gummy.

Shrimp Dumplings (Ha Gao).  The translucent dough is crazy hard to work with, and the filling recipe I have does not taste authentic and I don’t know how to fix it.

And, in the I Know Better Than To Try This category:

Decorated cookies that require the dough to be rolled out using laths to obtain perfectly even thicknesses and have 4 different decorating techniques—pressing of partial indentations, outlining, flooding, and painting.  Yeah, no.

Jar Salads:  These seem like such a great idea until you tally up ALL the precise cutting of no less than 7 items per salad, 7 OTHER items for the next day’s salad, etc.  I would buy these premade but I would not make them.  Just too too much.

Sushi involving raw fish:  I actually wanted to do this but after reading all the warnings about parasites and such in the cookbook decided that it was something to leave to the professionals. 

• Like 1

Oh! I have another one. DH’s grandmother’s pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie. Hers won all sorts of awards, and is beloved in the family, it’s delicious, but man is it a PITA to make. You cook it on the stove top, constantly stirring for hours, while it — yes — boils and pops. And every single time we’ve made it, it comes out too runny. We have seen so many different variations of the recipe at this point, all with varying amounts of water. Adding anything like cornstarch is sacrilege, so I have given up. Too much effort for a fail.

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

Oh! I have another one. DH’s grandmother’s pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie. Hers won all sorts of awards, and is beloved in the family, it’s delicious, but man is it a PITA to make. You cook it on the stove top, constantly stirring for hours, while it — yes — boils and pops. And every single time we’ve made it, it comes out too runny. We have seen so many different variations of the recipe at this point, all with varying amounts of water. Adding anything like cornstarch is sacrilege, so I have given up. Too much effort for a fail.

My MIL’s rice pudding involves an hour of slow stovetop stirring before you top it with meringue and bake for a while. It’s ridiculous. I make it about once every other year. It’s crazy

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

My MIL’s rice pudding involves an hour of slow stovetop stirring before you top it with meringue and bake for a while. It’s ridiculous. I make it about once every other year. It’s crazy

I think we all need one of these.  

https://www.amazon.com/StirChef-SAUCEPAN-STIRRER-HandsFree-StoveTop/dp/B0000TPBYG

Note, I don't have this.  But your post made me think, "There has to be a gizmo for that"   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Bacon jam -- someone shared it on here — with the bacon and the onions and the caramelization. And it’s soooooo good but it takes forever to cook and in the end you net just a tiny bit of food. Like, it’s gone in one sitting. I’ll make it for New Years or Christmas Eve…but that’s it. 

I was too intimidated and bought a jar!  🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I was too intimidated and bought a jar!  🙂

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Bacon jam -- someone shared it on here — with the bacon and the onions and the caramelization. And it’s soooooo good but it takes forever to cook and in the end you net just a tiny bit of food. Like, it’s gone in one sitting. I’ll make it for New Years or Christmas Eve…but that’s it. 

I think that was me. (Running away)

It’s an annual tradition here. DS and I make it for Christmas, and sometimes New Year’s. 

• Like 2