Menu

s/o: NOT watching the Olympics

regentrude

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m having a really big issue with it this time around as well, for all the reasons you say. We are typically a big Olympics family and I know the kids would like watching the events, but I couldn’t bring myself to want to watch the opening ceremonies and didn’t tape them or anything. I’m not sure what we will do. I was very frustrated back when they first announced these games would go to China. 

• Like 4

I have definite mixed feelings about all of those things. I am not sure I can sustain enough objections to completely avoid watching, though not being a sports fan, I watch very few things.

We did snark our way through parts of the opening ceremony so that the kids can express that sweet songs and beautiful ceremony aside, it's a veneer. I probably ought to have a longer chat with them about other things that were mentioned, such as how China cozies up to the developing world, helping with infrastructure to prop up their brand, so to speak. 

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I was very frustrated back when they first announced these games would go to China. 

Yes. And for the second time. 

My bigger frustration is that we normalized relations with them a long time ago, and this is just the fruit of doing so. We've helped make this problem, and the Olympics is sort of the cherry on top. 

On the waste of the Olympics in general, I agree. I do think it's a wonderful way to showcase accomplishment, but we accept a lot of negative things (and greed, like the NBC's monopoly on coverage) in the name of celebrating faster, higher, stronger (or whatever the slogan is).

• Like 3

No, you are not alone. I am not watching it for many of the reasons you mentioned.

I have always enjoyed watching the athletes and their amazing abilities. Unfortunately the games have become too focused on other things, money, politics etc.

It's sad for those young men and women who work so hard to compete in the Olympics 

• Like 2

I dislike everything about the Olympics, including the tabloid-like personal stories and the weird idolization surrounding people who give up everything else in their lives (in some cases, without a choice) for the sole purpose of competing in the one event. Yuck. I’ve never felt anything but sadness for them.

• Like 5

Very mixed feelings. Not sure where I ultimately vet it all out. Unlikely that I'll get there before the Games are over.

(I love the ancient roots of the concept of Olympian games; and I love the ideal that nations can transcend their differences and come together to compete around games.

I *always* loathe the wastefulness of building these $$$$$$$$ villages that immediately become white elephants -- why not split the events across 10 existing facilities in 10 cities that already have hotel rooms???) and the propaganda/pageantry around opening ceremonies, wherever they're held... so those issues are not new this round. But there are definitely pandemic-specific issues and China-specific issues that layer on top of those.)

• Like 12

I wouldn’t say I have strong objections, but I don’t like it either and I’m not that interested in people doing this during a pandemic. It seems tacky.

eta: Come to think of it, in a normal year I might have much stronger objections. In the scale of everything going wrong in the last few years, though? It pales.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3

The other night I was thinking, "Oh, the opening ceremonies are on tonight. Those are usually fun to watch." I then remembered the Olympics are being held in China, decided it would likely be a propaganda event, and left the TV off. We haven't watched any of it. I don't have anything against the athletes, but there's just too many things that make it something I don't want to support right now.

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

(And no, having the token Uyghur light the flame does not make the human rights violations go away.)

That was just so jaw-droopingly brazen. I was incredulous. It seems leaders have figured out that if they show no shame for anything, really anything, and just push through pretending whatever they do is fine, people go along with it. The media (which has a huge impact on how narratives are shaped) will be off to the next shiny thing and so no consequences. I haven't watched anything yet and I'm not sure I will, but seeing that just made me sick.

• Like 14

I'm sure many people aren't going to like this, but since someone brought up one set of objections to a sporting event, I'll add on adjacent issues: 

I've always objected to watching the Olympics because I've always thought the childhoods of anyone competing were ruined whether they recognize it or not. That kind of intensive focus to compete at that level at those ages is a human tragedy, not something to be admired.

I also object to spectator sports in general, with the exception of people who participate in that sport in some way in their own lives or people people who personally know a participant want to encourage them.  The former is likely working on improving their own performance and seeking out role models and the latter are nurturing personal relationships. There's a vicarious tribalism in spectator sports (us vs. them) that's a flaw in humanity, not something to celebrate or participate in.  Raising it to a nation vs. nation level isn't a good thing.

And don't get me started on my objections to girls/women jumping around shaking their boobs and butts as cheerleaders, dancers, pom pom girls, gymnasts, and sports team players scantily clad in clothing their male counterparts aren't wearing.  Whether a person is liberal or conservative, it's demeaning to women.

Notice I'm not categorically opposed to participating in sports.  I have kids who have done so, but it was all voluntary, they were adequately clothed at the time, they were doing it for their own enjoyment, they had balanced lives, and no one's tribalism was being stirred up at any level.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, HS Mom in NC said:

I've always thought the childhoods of anyone competing were ruined whether they recognize it or not. That kind of intensive focus to compete at that level at those ages is a human tragedy, not something to be admired.

I grew up in communist East Germany. If you may remember, they always won a ton of medals. Because they started systematically with large numbers of children, trained them hard, then dropped everybody as soon as they developed issues. I started kayak racing at age 12. In my team of 8, I had three team mates who had switched sports because, at age 12, they already had permanent disabilities from overtraining in ice skating - shot knees and hips, could only do a sitting sport. 

• Sad 34

17 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I grew up in communist East Germany. If you may remember, they always won a ton of medals. Because they started systematically with large numbers of children, trained them hard, then dropped everybody as soon as they developed issues. I started kayak racing at age 12. In my team of 8, I had three team mates who had switched sports because, at age 12, they already had permanent disabilities from overtraining in ice skating - shot knees and hips, could only do a sitting sport. 

And if the overtraining didn't wreck them, the doping probably added to the physical mess they'd end up. 

I really love the Norwegian ski team spirit of fun. They interview propective members not just by their times but by their attitude toward taco Tuesdays and pizza Fridays. 😄  I took the ski instructor training in Norway, and the first unit is "Ski Play" (skileik). It's a very playful attitude toward the activity.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 7

I think the diplomatic boycott is weak, but was at least something. 

But governments are hypocrites. If angering a nation affects their own interests, sure, have yourself a little genocide while we all look the other way. If it doesn't, oh, then let us do the moral posture! 

However, I don't think the games being national propaganda is limited to China. We had the Summer Olympics here. Oh boy! It was very nice, successful propaganda but very aggressive in its way. Governments dine out in a successful Olympics for a long time, even if they achieve nothing else of note. 

I'm definitely not watching. (But part of that is I get anxious watching competitive sports). 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, HS Mom in NC said:

I've always objected to watching the Olympics because I've always thought the childhoods of anyone competing were ruined whether they recognize it or not. That kind of intensive focus to compete at that level at those ages is a human tragedy, not something to be admired.

That may be true in some sports and in some countries, but I know many Olympians in DS's sport and (1) they had perfectly normal childhoods and (2) they were entirely driven by their passion for the sport, not because someone else was pushing them. DS's former coach didn't even get into the sport until mid-teens, and it actually provided him with a way out of a bad family situation and gave him a future he would never had had without it — he went from a homeless teen struggling to stay in school to an Olympic athlete who went on to have a great coaching career. DS had his first lesson at 14, got serious about it at 16, and is currently ranked 8th in the US (top 4 went to Tokyo); if he decides to get more serious about training and starts doing World Cups next year he has a genuine shot at 2024. Not only was his childhood not ruined by his passion for the sport, it gave a super shy, anxious (and physically clumsy) kid a level of self-confidence he never had.

I totally agree that the Olympics are a huge waste of money and resources and a major propaganda fest. But the truth is that even if the Olympics didn't exist, these athletes would still be training and competing at the same level, they'd just have one less international competition every four years. In some ways a World Championship is more athletically meaningful (although less financially rewarding) than an Olympic medal, because the regional quotas for Olympic teams often results in whole countries being excluded in order to provide adequate geographic diversity, which results in some high-level athletes being passed over in favor of lower ranked athletes from less represented countries. There's nothing wrong with that, that's how the Olympics are designed, but World Championships are often a more accurate measure of athletic accomplishment than the Olympics.

• Like 21

2 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

There's a vicarious tribalism in spectator sports (us vs. them) that's a flaw in humanity, not something to celebrate or participate in.  

Like it or hate it, this behaviour is humanity. It's gone on for centuries in most cultures.  

Cooperative games do exist, they just don't attract any spectators. They're not exciting. Humans crave that energy and excitment. It's safer to participate in this through games than other, more deadly activities.

• Like 8

One of the things, apart from the regime, that really sets me off about Beijing having the winter games is that it is NOT a location that can naturally produce the environment for the winter games. All of the snow is man-made. All of it. Not only is it less than optimal snow, it requires and unholy amount of energy to produce. The IOC is disgusting, and their choices sometimes are just insane. Well, they would be if it weren't for the fact that following the money trail explains their decisions. So same.old same old. Sick and twisted devotion to greed.

• Like 8

While I do have objections that have been brought up already, we are still watching.  I had some of the same objections to Tokyo, and yet we watched.   With our older kids we are talking about the politics surround things and getting their thoughts.  But I want them to watch, learn, and to come up with their own opinions on things.  I think even outside of my issues it is highly educational and my kids enjoy watching it.   I don't care much for sports any more and never ever watch any outside of the Olympics. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

While I do have objections that have been brought up already, we are still watching.  I had some of the same objections to Tokyo, and yet we watched.   With our older kids we are talking about the politics surround things and getting their thoughts.  But I want them to watch, learn, and to come up with their own opinions on things.  I think even outside of my issues it is highly educational and my kids enjoy watching it.  

Just keep in mind that every household who watches contributes to viewer numbers which directly translate into advertising dollars which is what fuels this entire circus (aside from the taxes of the unfortunate citizens of the country that has the host city.)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Like it or hate it, this behaviour is humanity. It's gone on for centuries in most cultures.  

Cooperative games do exist, they just don't attract any spectators. They're not exciting. Humans crave that energy and excitment. It's safer to participate in this through games than other, more deadly activities.

yep. Bread and circuses. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Just keep in mind that every household who watches contributes to viewer numbers which directly translate into advertising dollars which is what fuels this entire circus (aside from the taxes of the unfortunate citizens of the country that has the host city.)

I am aware of how viewership works for advertising.  I am still fine with it. 

• Like 2

FWIW, the IOC didn't have much choice for the 2022 games — all of the European cities that had submitted preliminary bids pulled out after the disastrous 2014 winter games in Sochi, which cost more than $50 billion and were a total mess. That left the IOC with only two options: Beijing or Almaty, Kazakhstan. Beijing barely won the vote. The 2026 games will be mostly in Milan, with the skiing events in another city 100 miles away (Cortina) that often hosts international ski events, so the facilities are already there. 

The IOC also only had 2 bids for the summer 2024 games, Los Angeles and Paris, after three other cities (Budapest, Hamburg, Rome) withdrew, so they decided to simultaneously award 2024 to Paris and 2028 to Los Angeles. It's become so insanely expensive to host the games now that really only the wealthiest countries can afford it. There have been suggestions to build permanent facilities in Switzerland, where the the IOC is headquartered, and just always have the Olympics there, which makes a lot of sense and would eliminate a huge amount of pointless waste.

• Like 32

27 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

While I do have objections that have been brought up already, we are still watching.  I had some of the same objections to Tokyo, and yet we watched. 

Curious which of the same objections you had regarding Tokyo. The fact they were holding it in the middle of the pandemic is the only overlapping one I recall having. 

• Like 2

Even with all the awfulness involved, I found myself watching the luge this morning. I know nothing about this sport. I was bewildered what possess someone to do that?! Are they brave, athletic, stupid, or do they really enjoy it. Man, I hope they love what they are doing. I hope that all the athletes are there because they love, love, love what they are doing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

The energy and water wasted for creating the artificial snow to play on is insane in times of climate change. Why hold the winter Olympics in a region that does not reliably get snow?
Not to mention the general concept of building completely new infrastructure in a new location every four years that then is left to crumble. 

For the same reason the World Cup is going to be in Qatar in flipping December. This is sheer insanity. 

On the plus side, FIFA seems to have got a dose of common sense after they got busted for corruption and the 2026 World Cup will be in North America with a combined bid from the US, Mexico and Canada using existing stadiums and training facilities. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

tabloid-like personal stories

I'm an athletically challenged, cooperative (ie. non-competitive) kinda gal.

I used to like to watch the gymnastics and ice dancing.  It's not worth my time, though, because of the announcers who must point out each and every flaw, the tabloid-like personal stories, and the commercials.  I haven't watched the olympics in years and years.

35 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Well, then my household counts cuz dh it a sports fanatic.

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I am not watching. I lost family in Gulags. 
I am appalled. 

I am so sorry.

A boycott does not get a regime to stop their atrocities. But it sends a powerful signal to the oppressed that their plight is seen
Having grown up under an oppressive regime, I can't emphasize enough how important that is. And how incredibly hurtful if the world just closes their eyes. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 15
  • Sad 1

Dh feels that nothing we do makes a difference. It's not like boycotting has any dollar value attached - even a tiny one - because we would watch and follow on actual live TV. 

But I feel too disgusted to enjoy anything about them this year. They've always been political and the IOC has been a corrupt cabal forever. But this feels like a new level. Even if my not watching makes zero difference, I just can't enjoy them. 

• Like 2

Admitting I’m not watching the Winter Olympics is like treason here- a former student of ours is in them this year and we are very close to Lake Placid, you know “home” to the Winter Olympics 😉

And.. I’m teaching a unit study on them for my students so I do have to show some clips this week. (I didn’t plan it- just leading it)

But personally, nope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corraleno said:

DS had his first lesson at 14, got serious about it at 16, and is currently ranked 8th in the US (top 4 went to Tokyo); if he decides to get more serious about training and starts doing World Cups next year he has a genuine shot at 2024. Not only was his childhood not ruined by his passion for the sport, it gave a super shy, anxious (and physically clumsy) kid a level of self-confidence he never had.

Yes, I have to say basically the same thing about my (much younger!) cousin. He had some challenges related to anxiety and other issues. I'm pretty sure he didn't take up rowing until high school and then became very serious about it in college. It's helped him tremendously and given him direction. Had his team not lost their last qualifying event, he would have been in the Olympics this year. Sad for him, but still proud that he got that far. I'm not into sports at all, but competitive rowing has been very good for him.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes, it's gone on forever to various degrees in various forms.  We don't have to celebrate/support/participate in it.

So what if sports are safer? If someone wants to risk themselves for a greater good like being in emergency services or rescue operations or something like that, they legitimately earn the admiration society has for them.  Sports...no. Just no. Do it if you like it, have a great time, but don't expect oohs and aahs; it's just playing a silly game. Game playing is a nice little hobby no matter who does it or how well they do it.

I think the very concept of spectator sports is nuts with the two exceptions I listed in my previous post. That thing that exists inside some people, making them capable of giving a rat's rear about the location of a ball or how fast a person can run/drive/spin/flip or how far/high they can jump, outside of those exceptions, is something I don't have and don't want. It's in no way relatable to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

That thing that exists inside some people, making them capable of giving a rat's rear about the location of a ball or how fast a person can run/drive/spin/flip or how far/high they can jump, outside of those exceptions, is something I don't have and don't want. It's in no way relatable to me.

It's called striving for excellence, and enjoying watching others who strive to achieve various levels of excellence. People do it in sport, music, art, dance, theatre. You don't have to appreciate it, but I think it's fair to recognize that it's a common feature of humans. There's a lot of people in the world who enjoy doing activities and probably even more people who enjoy watching others.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 12

I used to watch and join yarn groups that participated in Ravellenics competitions during it.

I haven’t done that in at least 5 years for all the reasons you name and then some.  And I really miss it to be honest.  Our whole family used to love watching the Olympics. But between not making it easy to watch on tv anymore and the coverage not being as complete on top of everything else - it’s more disappointingly frustrating than enjoyable to us now.  None of us except Dh is even a little bit into sports, but we used to always watch the Olympics as a family.

And frankly many cities no longer even want to host it. It’s become a freaking nightmare of infrastructure and expense that almost never benefits the city.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

Tribalism (community) is humanity. We are not a hive species.  I’m not interested in trading tribalism for joining the borg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2