Menu

Do you sleep in your bra?

Indigo Blue

I never have, but I may start. Just so I’m not caught unprepared if I stay in pajamas too long in the morning. Just ordered some comfy looking bras for sleeping.

Also, I just ordered some grippy “hospital” socks. My arch is so high, and I find it feels like my feet just feel more slippery on the hard floors as I get older. Don’t know why. I don’t wear slippers at all. This way, if I pop out of bed in the night, I’ll stop having that feeling of slippery feet. I’m getting old. 😜

Edited by Indigo Blue

Never. I also rarely wear one at all during the winter (bundled up, hoodies, coats, etc). There have even been a few times I didn’t wear one out in just one layer of clothing. I hate bras and hope to one day honestly not care if others are bothered by me not wearing one. 

• Like 6

Yes, in a lightweight/low support sports bra. The kind that come in a three pack from Walmart. When I was younger I had very painful, fibrocystic breasts and wearing a bra was a LOT less painful than not wearing one. So I got in the habit. The ones I wear now are very comfy.

• Like 3

I am firmly against torture of all humans.  Myself included. 😄

My bra gets thrown on the floor next to the bed.  When I wake, I will either put it back on under my shirt or throw on a loose sweater to stay somewhat decent before I take a shower and get dressed for the day.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

No, as a matter of fact, if I'm staying home all day (like today) I won't put one on at all. It's just the two of us, and I "never" have  anyone show  up. Once in a blue moon I might have to sign for something at the door, but it's so rare. My mil is always dressed. Except for when she has been in the hospital, I have never seen her in pajamas or a gown. Maybe she doesn't even own any, who knows?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I read your title and my first thought was “of course not “. After opening the thread, that’s still my answer. I can’t imagine an age where my answer would change but perhaps I am just lacking in imagination. 

Oops….didn’t mean to imply that if you wear a bra to bed it means you’re getting old. I was speaking more to my creaky old feet getting worse. 🙂

Never.   I only wear them at all when I'm teaching and then they are soft tshirt type bras.   I don't wear one at home ever and if I can get away with wearing a thicker shirt or hoodie, I'll go without when teaching as well, but usually I'm too hot for that.  (darn hot flashes)

It doesn't bother me at all to go out shopping in just a tshirt with no bra.   Or having someone come to the house.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

No. Only time I ever did was while nursing because I was told it was important. I guess it helps avoid mastitis???  Anyway, no.  Best thing about pandemic has been the freedom from bras. I loathe them. 

I did wear a bra to bed while nursing sometimes so I had somewhere to stick the pads to catch leaks.   I leaked a LOT.   I did eventually switch to the camisole tops with the built in shelf to hold the pads.  

• Like 1

Wow. Am I being a weirdo? Lol. They make lots of bras just for sleeping. They look decently comfy.

Dh is a plumber and if you remember my post where I complained about people just showing up at our house…it happens sometimes. Once the meter reader guy was below my backyard deck as I walked out with a very loose low top on to sweep. I just saw a head pop up at deck level and I threw my broom down and screamed. (He was brazen enough to enter my fence gate where I had a beware of dog sign posted. I did not expect someone to ever just walk back there. Usually, he reads it from the road, but that one day he had to go back there for some reason). And neighbors coming over to ask if I had seen the loose pitt bull roaming around... etc. It's always something.

This way, if I’m too lazy to actually get dressed, I won’t be caught having to answer my door like that. 

I guess I’m the odd one, because I don't mind them too much if they are comfy enough. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I did wear a bra to bed while nursing sometimes so I had somewhere to stick the pads to catch leaks.   I leaked a LOT.   I did eventually switch to the camisole tops with the built in shelf to hold the pads.  

I also wore one when nursing for awhile, especially for my oldest. I leaked all over the place and was trying to contain it. At this point, I am so glad to take off my bra at night. Once my boys got older, I bought gowns that are more like house dresses for summer, and a flannel gown or pjs for winter. They provide more coverage, and I don't feel like I need a housecoat to be in the living room. (I have large breasts and it is very obvious if I don't have on a bra with regular clothes.)

10 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Wow. Am I being a weirdo? Lol. They make lots of bras just for sleeping. They look decently comfy.

No, you are not. I don't wear a bra to sleep but I wear camisoles that are a little tight so they give some support. I have been thinking about getting a soft sleep bra.

Some people are just more comfortable with a bra than without. I put a bra on as soon as I get up in the morning. It has nothing to do with age - I am old now, but I wasn't always, and I did always prefer wearing a bra to going without.  

• Like 3

No. If it don't get dressed before leaving my room then I slip one on. I generally shower first thing but not always. I did while nursing youngish babies for pads but quit once I stopped leaking. I occasionally do when I'm camping just because of changing issues but end up regretting it 😜

Edited by busymama7

Yes, but not the one I wear during the day. It's more like a crop top bra. Not a sports bra as those are binding. It's wire free, no fasteners. Like these:
https://www.balibras.com/comfort-revolution-reg-comfortflex-fit-reg-wirefree-bra.html?country=US&currency=USD&D1=SEARCHA&gclid=CjwKCAiA866PBhAYEiwANkIneM1T1b5p01huPp6FY8ERQ-ewY8s3I-kw3rnDkFi6WbSPB2kLeRZ8uRoCXo4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

No, I never sleep in a bra. I own a robe but it didn't come with the PJs. In fact most of my pj tops are just random tshirts - right now it's my college sweatshirt. I have a winter robe and a summer robe just in case I need to answer the door before putting on a bra. With a sweatshirt, no one can tell whether I'm wearing one or not. I figure if someone knocks on my door before the appropriate time, they should be prepared to see me in my pjs. 

30 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Dh is a plumber and if you remember my post where I complained about people just showing up at our house…it happens sometimes. Once the meter reader guy was below my backyard deck as I walked out with a very loose low top on to sweep. I just saw a head pop up at deck level and I threw my broom down and screamed. (He was brazen enough to enter my fence gate where I had a beware of dog sign posted. I did not expect someone to ever just walk back there. Usually, he reads it from the road, but that one day he had to go back there for some reason). And neighbors coming over to ask if I had seen the loose pitt bull roaming around... etc. It's always something.

This way, if I’m too lazy to actually get dressed, I won’t be caught having to answer my door like that. 

I guess I’m the odd one, because I don't mind them too much if they are comfy enough. 

For me, if I am not properly dressed to answer the door I just don't answer it. Or I go get dressed properly and then answer it. But I generally don't have random people coming in my house.

• Like 2

I'm 50/50 on wearing a bra to bed. I started when breastfeeding as others have said. I spent 8 years of my life breastfeeding, so I got very accustomed to it. I was so uncomfortable without a bra while nursing that I showered basically one handed. I kept one arm under the girls for support. I just couldn't stand the heaviness. Even after I weaned I felt more comfortable wearing a bra to bed--even with an underwire. The girls know their place and that's how it's gonna stay. 😉

Edited by popmom

I don’t know what they do now, in particular, but one of my sisters has always slept in an underwire bra, and my other sister has always slept in a bra of some kind.  

My mom and I do not sleep in one. 

I have always assumed a lot of women sleep in bras, because it was 50/50 in my family growing up.  

My step-mom had a cotton bra she slept in sometimes.  I think when it was hot she slept in that and no shirt.  But I think that because I think of that as a thing people do, when it is hot but a sheet might be irritating.  

Noooooo. Comes off for naps, too, and sometime in the late evening before sleep. A bit too confining for total relaxation.

That said, I feel really uncomfortable not wearing one during waking hours. I don't really need a ton of support; I just feel more put together wearing one and also there is the issue of n*pple show through. 

Yes.

I didn't always.  But several years back I was doing a paper route in the middle of the night, and to maximize every moment of sleep that I could, I would sleep in my bra and comfy clothes so that I could just get out of bed and go.  I don't do that paper route anymore, but I kind of got used to sleeping in a bra- and I definitely go full on underwire.  Every once in a while I'll sleep without one, but at least six out of seven nights a week I sleep in my bra.  I don't even notice it.