Menu

Updated at bottom... Blood clot... Help

WildflowerMom

Well I was trying to take a board break, but y'all are smarter than everyone else I know.

what should I do?  ER tonite or way and see doctor in the morning? 

Arm in pain for months, dx'd with bursitis, got bursitis injection two weeks ago. Pain progressively worse, 

now the vein in arm is swelling and red, arm is swollen at least one inch bigger around than other arm

1FBFDD9C-9EF7-48F9-A88C-0E569F56010B.jpeg

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Sad 7

Yes, ER as soon as you can get there and don't presume the diagnosis.

Based on the image I'd guess infection, not blood clot, but only a good clinical exam and appropriate medical testing will tell. Might be major, might be minor, but get thee to emergent/urgent care to differentiate!

ETA: I'm also a medical-care-only-as-necessary person, and an eval is necessary now. Which is to say, this is what Western medicine is good at differentially diagnosing and treating, and I'm glad to live in this day and age where we have access to emergent diagnoses and care. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

Ok, it's an infection.  I'm going to call my GP in the morning.   I have no idea what could've caused it.  I don't have any cuts or anything.    Do these things just appear out of nowhere? 

and thank y'all!   I knew y'all would give me guidance!  

Microtrauma.  Tiny nicks in the skin are big enough - armpit shaving, nicks in cuticle etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I could be way off, and someone actually medical can correct me, but I would guess that the steroid shot reduced your body's ability to fight whatever the bacteria was and however it got in. i guess i'm just assuming the shot for the bursitis you mentioned in the op was steroids which is great for getting your body to stop being in inflammation in the case of something like bursitis, but not so good if your immune system is trying to fight off a bacterial infection. i am willing to admit i may have that totally backwards though. hopefully they can figure it all out and you can kick it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Would a nick in the armpit cause the swelling in the forearm?

It could.  If infection gets in the bloodstream it can spread.  (Thus the streaks).  But regardless of cause, I am so glad that you went to the ER and are now (I presume) on antibiotics.  Keep a watch on it.  If it doesn't respond to the antibiotics in a few days, then call the doc again. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Ok, it's an infection.  I'm going to call my GP in the morning.   I have no idea what could've caused it.  I don't have any cuts or anything.    Do these things just appear out of nowhere? 

and thank y'all!   I knew y'all would give me guidance!  

That happened to my husband a few years back, he had no idea how the infection happened--no known injuries. Must have a been something small.

He needed antibiotics and also needed the doctor to drain it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!    The ER did not call my antibiotic in, somehow it got missed, so I’ve been to Walgreens, been on the phone with Walgreens, been on the phone forever with the ER trying to get it straightened out.    Just an easy mistake, but aggravating nonetheless.   While I was there last night, an ICU nurse was doing IVs and I asked her how the covid situation was going upstairs.  She said they were clearing out up there and that the situation looked so much better here (I’m guessing locally)!   She seemed super relieved as she was telling me about it.    Anyway, that brightened my night, and I thought y’all would be happy to hear it.    
im guessing I nicked myself while shaving my underarm.  Friday night I shaved and remember thinking I wasn’t using enough soap but I was in such a hurry.  The thought even crossed my mind that I’d probably nick myself.  When @wathe mentioned that, I thought “bingo.”  I see my regular doc on Thursday for a recheck.   Thanks y’all.  Dh and I were trying to figure out if I should go in and I said, “let me ask my group. They’ll know.”  And yep, y’all did.  🙌🏽  The hive is awesome!! 

• Like 19

• WildflowerMom changed the title to Updated at bottom... Blood clot... Help

Quick update...

'Something' is happening in my other arm now, too.   Being sent for ultrasound.   Dr has mentioned maybe autoimmune disorder causing vasculitis, blood clot, or possibly something else. 😞    Had blood drawn today.   She said my last bloodwork (I don't know if she meant from the hospital 2 weeks ago or from her office) showed elevated iron, but I don't think it was bad high, just elevated.    I am extremely tired and worn out.   I couldn't even hold a to-go box of food the other day.  Dh had to take it from me.   I don't know what, if anything, is going on.  I'm tired. 

• Sad 39