Menu

Good things today - add yours

Laura Corin

My babies are turning 17 on Monday. Presents wrapped. Cakes planned. And, I counted out the motley assortment of random birthday candles and there are more than 34, which will excellently let me use up nearly all the random candles in one fell swoop on each of their cakes.

Last night, I went to an excellent backyard potluck with my younger, childless friends. I laughed a lot and ate yummy food. 

• Like 28
  • Haha 2

So many good things this weekend!  DD19, DD25, & DSIL came over last night to grill while the guys were camping.  Such a great night - I love adult kids being around.  The girls and I stayed up late Fri and Sat watching movies.  DD17 decided to get "plugged in" at college.  Signed up for a weekend retreat almost 2 hours away, drove there (most she's ever driven is about 45 minutes and even that is pretty new), explored, enjoyed, zip lined.  I am AMAZED at how much she has embraced college and forging relationships.  The guys (DH, DS7, & DS16) came back from a great weekend camping and are wiped out... so it's TOTaLLY SILENT at my house. 😉 

• Like 24

We went to church and this was DH's second time there and he hasn't stopped talking about it and how amazing it is since! He's spent most of the afternoon designing his own shirt to wear during our shift at the church's booth at the Pride Parade/Festival downtown, and he's going to joint the men's group to make Little Free Libraries next month. I went to the parent workshop for the OWL class and it was fantastic - EVERYONE was open and helpful to each other, the leaders are amazing, and I found out that the usher who makes me smile each week with his amazing outfits - today was a lavender blazer and purple paisley button down and pinkish/purple reading glasses - is one of the leaders and has a PhD in human sexuality and is a former science teacher as well. AND the lock in I was so worried about isn't happening, they are doing a Friday night and Saturday Morning session instead, with eating outside so they get a mask break. Such a relief!

AND I have chicken going in the air fryer that smells amazing - a new rub with rosemary in it. 

• Like 22

Thank you for this thread, @Laura Corin
Yesterday newly-married dd and SIL came over to sort through some wedding stuff and have dinner here. We ate pork bbq left over (had been frozen; we’re not eating 2-week-old pork!) from the wedding; we looked at video and photos and relived a bunch of the fun things from the wedding. 
The weather is splendid; I’m an autumn girl all the way and these are my favorite days: crisp mornings, clear blue sky, light breeze, (rare) low humidity. 

• Like 20

Oh! And DH, when he picked me up from the meeting today, was concerned I hadn't had lunch or breakfast, and didn't realize they were going to have snacks/water. So he brought me a cup of my favorite coffee, two types of diet soda (with and without caffeine), snacks, and my medication as he wasn't sure if I took it or needed it. All but the drinks were in a little bag, like.a Katie Care Pack. So sweet!!!

• Like 20

We moved out of the RV and into an an apartment two weeks ago and are still unpacking. I have a walk-in closet now and it's so nice to see clothes I haven't seen in years! I am sorting through everything, trying to decide what to keep and what to donate. I tried on a pair of size 8 jeans and I was swimming in them. I texted my mom and her response: B*TCH! 

LOL! Yeah, you can tell that I never had the touchy feely kind of mom. 😉 

Oh, and we picked up a new TV yesterday for the living room and my husband is busy mounting it at the moment. 

Thanks for all the flower pics and garden/fall tree talk. This is our hottest time of the year, so it's nice to think about beautiful fall trees and pretty flowers when you live in a concrete jungle.  

• Like 21

I took my mother in law and her sister to a U-cut sunflower field, and to buy decorating pumpkins. This was a huge hit! When we got back, Mark was power washing some build up off MIL's front steps. He carved a pumpkin with power washer, three minutes flat and never had to handle the innards, just dumped them out after carving out the "lid"/stem. Brilliant and so funny to watch. Here is the pumpkin.

242925081_1754867341375304_5585317430260436965_n.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

We went to church and this was DH's second time there and he hasn't stopped talking about it and how amazing it is since! He's spent most of the afternoon designing his own shirt to wear during our shift at the church's booth at the Pride Parade/Festival downtown, and he's going to joint the men's group to make Little Free Libraries next month. I went to the parent workshop for the OWL class and it was fantastic - EVERYONE was open and helpful to each other, the leaders are amazing, and I found out that the usher who makes me smile each week with his amazing outfits - today was a lavender blazer and purple paisley button down and pinkish/purple reading glasses - is one of the leaders and has a PhD in human sexuality and is a former science teacher as well. AND the lock in I was so worried about isn't happening, they are doing a Friday night and Saturday Morning session instead, with eating outside so they get a mask break. Such a relief!

AND I have chicken going in the air fryer that smells amazing - a new rub with rosemary in it. 

Katie, I am so happy for you that you have found this church, and that your DH is enjoying it. That has to be so wonderful!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We visited a Catholic church today and loved it, even my teens. Dh grew up Catholic, but we’ve mostly attended nondenominational or Lutheran churches since we were married. Our church dissolved early in the pandemic, and we haven’t found any locally that aren’t of the anti-vax, mask, etc. type, and I just can’t even go there anymore with that attitude. Dh suggested we visit the local Catholic church. Every single person was masked, windows open, congregation not singing, obviously taking the pandemic seriously. Beautiful service, friendly and kind people, and it was so nice to go to church in person after a year and a half. We’re all looking forward to going again. 

• Like 17

Had a great weekend camping with Dd and other AHG girls. Perfect weather, excellent outdoor adventures, uneventful driving.

Came home to clean bathrooms. 

Sleeping in my own bed and not having to go outside to use the bathroom in the middle of the night tonight. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 18

Spent the last three days visiting EVERYONE. Ds and nephew at uni. Dd and new sil—lovely to see their new home and new life taking shape. Plus we pranked them—we have been passing an ugly cat statue around the family for years and “blessed” them by hiding it under the bed. Spent lots of time with dfil who is suffering dementia. Connected with dh’s sister and family. Delighted to connect with young cousin who is thankfully stable st least for now. Then back again to ds and nephew at school and thankful to be home again. Whew!!!

• Like 16

The toad for whom we are caring has healed even better than I hoped! I am so excited to feel that he is almost ready for release, although I will miss him. (See thread "People who pray for animals.")

My parents came over for Bible study and lunch today. They dote on our dog and bird and we agree on (almost) everything politically and otherwise. I am so thankful for them.

I had a nice phone chat with a friend today. 

My little rewards system worked pretty well in Sunday School today. I have new kindergartners and it would have been utter chaos without something to rein them in a bit. 😉 

I shared my good news about my toad here and people actually GOT it and understood. ❤️

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I received a beautiful picture that was taken yesterday of my grandma with her two kids on her 98th birthday.

We got word of a "yes" vote from the board on a merger that will allow dh to take his dream job and relocate us across the country to a place with far more opportunities for my kids...and better weather too!

• Like 14

Today my children had dentist appointments and I had a bit of a disaster that caused us to be a half hour late.  I'm never late.  We're 15 minutes early for everything, all the time.  I was so embarrassed and must have looked so foolish with my rambling apology.   But they were kind to me and they and still saw the kids for their x-rays and cleanings.  I'm not a hugger but I just wanted to hug them (but didn't) all for their kindness toward me.  

• Like 11

Fall Break started today.

I put in a maiden hair fern and a mama mia fern in the rockery in my garden and the handsomest little toad hopped near by to greet me. 

My rising sun redbud tree, which we named Lauralin, is doing well as the centerpiece of the ornamental woodland garden, which we named Entwood.

• Like 14