Menu

What vegetable(s) do you wish you liked better?

I'm reading Bee Wilson's First Bite. My initial answers are bell pepper (green's probably too much of a stretch, but red/orange/yellow), yellow squash, beets (maybe I can at least get to liking beet chips?), and avocado (which I only like with lime juice and DS doesn't like at all). If it weren't easy to avoid, I'd add asparagus.

How about you?

31 minutes ago, Carolina Wren said:

beets (maybe I can at least get to liking beet chips?)

Have you had them fresh from the garden (with good soil)? Straight from garden to pot, they can taste like candy and not at all metallic. Yum! 

I wish I liked more squash. There are other veggies it would be handy to like, but some of them I have intolerances to, so wishing I liked them more wouldn't help. 

Oh, cucumbers. I really like only super crispy pickling cucumbers with the smallest of seeds. Otherwise they're either too slimy, or they taste too much like melons. Our garden seems to be producing only medium to large seeded cukes this year, sadly, though I can tolerate the medium-sized seeds if that's all I have. I love them tossed with a drizzle of oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sometimes oregano.

• Like 1

I’m gonna go with brussel sprouts. Everybody keeps telling me how much they love them. I only had them a handful of times as a kid. I never fed them to my kids and they have discovered them as adults. My one dd says they must have changed since I was a kid! She LOVES them. I lump them in with peas and lima beans (which I have also avoided since I was a kid - I don’t wish I liked them though - I’m happy to continue to hate them). 

• Like 1

If you only have boiled Brussels sprouts, I have had boiled I like and boiled that were horrible.

They are very different from roasted or lightly cooked Brussels sprouts.  

If you have only had canned Brussels sprouts — that could matter, too.  Frozen can have a lot different texture and milder taste.  

• Like 4

Try Love Beets - especially the chili flavored ones!! Yum!

Celery needs to be prepared to eat raw. It’s one of my favorite snacks. I cut and peel the entire bunch as soon as I get home. Store in water in fridge. Restores limp celery, or keeps fresh celery fresh. 

Peas, broccoli, and ghost broccoli.

It seems they're in everything, but I have a hard time with the texture of peas and I just don't like the other two.

Short, funny story.  My husband mentioned to his friend how much he loved asparagus.  The friend was like, "ooooookaaayyy.  Weird, man."  😄  Well, my husband went for a visit to his friend's house, and while there, the friend decided to serve asparagus because my husband liked it so much, even though he was not a fan himself and thought it was disgusting.  So he opened the can...

🤣🤣

There was a major clearing up of the confusion between the two. The next visit down to our house, dh made his friend fresh, roasted asparagus for a side, with a little bit of shaved parm on top and a drizzle of balsamic.  From what I hear, it's now a staple in their house, too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I wish I liked pea shoots because we sometimes have them as an option in our CSA box.  They're "our" farmer's favorite and I'd like to understand what he sees in them!

I had never tried these before I accidentally went to a hipster Mexican restaurant.  They used pea shoots in the chimichurri sauce and it was actually quite good!

• Like 1

Pretty much we eat every veggie including a wide range of Asian vegetables you would never see in mainstream supermarkets. 

Now things I eat because it shows up in my CSA box, but I'm not really fond of...fennel - it's ok if I roast it with potatoes. Dandelion greens but I have to boil with baking soda first and then sautee it with bacon to make it edible. Spaghetti squash - only cooked with marianara and Italian sausage, brussel sprouts...still don't love it even roasted... I won't waste food, so I will eat it if it shows up. Turnips & kohlrabi aren't favorites either.

Pea shoots is very popular dish in Chinese restuarants. Stirfried with garlic. It goes for $12-$15 in a restaurant. 

• Like 1

Not a big fan of beets. They taste like dirt to me. I'm ok with brussels but could live without them. I do not like parsnips and turnips either because they're too bitter. Greens like endive and radicchio are out for the same reason. Pea shoots, radish, arugula, gai lan, bok choy and associates...all good. I can only eat spinach raw or barely heated. Mushy veggies are disgusting to me and spinach wilts too fast.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Danae said:

Kale and all its friends and relations. Pretty much anything described as "greens" without the word "salad" in front.

See, kale is just on my "it's not food" list.  There's only one way I find it passable.  Anytime we get a recipe that calls for kale we end up substituting a more edible green that doesn't feel like rough plastic.

I'm good with not wishing I liked kale more, lol.

• Like 1

I eat every single vegetable there is including asian veggies, home grown microgreens etc. But, when I was younger, I used to feel like throwing up at the odor of celery and parsley. I have since gotten over it and can drink celery juice (mixed with liberal doses of carrot juice to mask the odor but not in any other format) and I can eat parsley if it is inside the falafel mixture.

I read a theory a long time ago that if you have the "opposite of craving" for a food, it could be because your body already has an abundance of certain minerals or vitamins found in that food. That could be the reason that people hate the smell or taste of certain veggies.

• Like 3

I won't eat mushrooms, but that's about the only "typical" vegetable in American diets that I don't eat. I long ago taught myself to like green peppers and eggplant, which I had struggled with, simply by making myself eat some every single day. This was in high school - I'd stop by my mother's office after school and then go out to pick up falafel or Indian food, and I just made a rule that every time, I'd get one or the other with it. After a few months, no more dislike.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

Oh, cucumbers. I really like only super crispy pickling cucumbers with the smallest of seeds. Otherwise they're either too slimy, or they taste too much like melons. Our garden seems to be producing only medium to large seeded cukes this year, sadly, though I can tolerate the medium-sized seeds if that's all I have. I love them tossed with a drizzle of oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sometimes oregano.

You need to buy Parthenocarpic of cucumbers. These kinds don't require pollination and thus the seeds are pretty much non-existent.  The catch is you can't grow other kinds of cucumbers with it or they will cross pollinate and start developing seeds if you do.  We grow a variety called DIVA (but there are others as well) at the greenhouse and they have become one of our most popular (and the only kind I will grow personally) because yeah not too many people actually like the seeds.

• Like 2

I like most veggies a lot, but I can’t really get on with fennel.  It’s the liquorice flavour. Roasted, it’s possible to eat it, but hard to enjoy. I wish I liked it because it looks so interesting. 

Edited by Eilonwy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

The ones that prep and cook themselves. 😂

I honestly like most vegetables and I don’t know if this would count, but I really hate capers and they are in so many recipes that otherwise sound delicious. So I guess I wish I liked them.

What is your position on green olives?

Bill

4 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I’m gonna go with brussel sprouts. Everybody keeps telling me how much they love them. I only had them a handful of times as a kid. I never fed them to my kids and they have discovered them as adults. My one dd says they must have changed since I was a kid! She LOVES them. I lump them in with peas and lima beans (which I have also avoided since I was a kid - I don’t wish I liked them though - I’m happy to continue to hate them). 

They actually have changed since we were younger. Horticulturists have bred out some of the bitterness. 
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/10/30/773457637/from-culinary-dud-to-stud-how-dutch-plant-breeders-built-our-brussels-sprouts-bo

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I was stumped, as I love almost every potentially polarizing vegetable.

But then I came up with spaghetti squash. Have not dared to re-try it in decades, but the thought of eating one leaves me queasy.

Bill

I always thought spaghetti squash was gross until I had it cooked in an instant pot.  For some reason that comes out palatable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Delightful in an olive salad slathered through a muffuletta. Otherwise not my olive of choice. 

In that case,  I might suggest that diced green olives make a very reasonable substitute in recipes that call for capers.

Bill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danae said:

I always thought spaghetti squash was gross until I had it cooked in an instant pot.  For some reason that comes out palatable.

Hum. Unfortunately (?) I don't have an InstaPot to try that experiment.

Cellophane noodles and spaghetti squash are the only two food items I can think of where I get "picky." Otherwise I'm an adventurous eater. 

Bill

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

See, kale is just on my "it's not food" list.  There's only one way I find it passable.  Anytime we get a recipe that calls for kale we end up substituting a more edible green that doesn't feel like rough plastic.

I'm good with not wishing I liked kale more, lol.

I thought about adding greens to my list, but the problem is that even the ones I like are too, um, passable. And the rest taste like soap (but cilantro doesn't taste soapy to me, go figure). 

I see no reason to appreciate kale except as compost.

Is there an English language word for people who like "bitter?"

Expresso, very dark chocolate, bitter greens, Campari and other bitter aperitifs, and such are right up my alley.

In ancient times I'd have likely won the Darwin Award, as bitter taste is often linked with poison.

So be it.

Bill

I wish I liked mushrooms, because they're in so many things!  I can't stand them.  I also don't like beets, but that's not a big deal.  I do wish I liked eggplants more, because they're good in vegetarian dishes.  I believe I like (love!) every other vegetable.  I think it's interesting that so many people don't like celery.  To me, they are almost tasteless!  Just a crunchy, watery thing.

• Like 1

I grew up with overcooked vegetables and there were a LOT I didn't like, but once I learned to cook them properly (barely-sauteed, or roasted, or grilled, with some kind of oil / salt / seasoning) I now like pretty much all of them, even the squashes...

except

cauliflower. 

The ONLY way I can stand even a small quantity of cauliflower is raw, in curry dip.

• Like 2

I love celery. I eat it almost every day, plain and sometimes with cheese stuffed in it. 

I don't cook with it though, as my husband can't stand the smell, taste, or texture. For a long time, like years, I just didn't buy it, but one day I said dang it, I want some celery!    I clean and cut it up when he is not around and store it in the back of the fridge. 

I do miss it in some cooked things but after 26 years I'm kinda over that.

(Just to be clear, he did not ask me to deprive myself, I just did it )

• Like 1